We WILL NOT WIN With Broxton As Closer

We WILL NOT WIN With Broxton As Closer
choke

Choked Again!

Jon Broxton is a big, big man and has proven to be an excellent set up man, but I’ll just get right to the point:  Jon Broxton is not a very good closer.  Case in point was again last night.  Given a two run lead, Broxton coughed up back-to-back home runs and for the fifth time this year and  twenty-forth time in his career, he choked and blew the game.  Face it – he’s a guy with a good fastball who can set up, but he can’t close!   You are insane if you continue to do what you have always done and think the results will be different.  Joe Torre is insane when he says Broxton is still his closer.  George Sherrill may not possess a 100 MPH fastball, but in a new league, he a better closer, right here, right now.  How would you like to have the five wins that Broxton blew back right about now?  The Dodgers would be looking pretty good with those 5 more wins.  We’d be looking at a 9-1/2 gme lead instead of a 4-1/2 game lead!

Here’s the bottom line:  Jon Broxton has a career 65% save percentage and George Sherrill has an 81% save percentage (by contrast, Mario Rivera has a 92% save percentage).  If you continue with him as your closer,  the Dodgers will go home for the playoffs.  It’s your call, Joe!  We also have a guy at AAA (Josh Lindblom) who has the guts of a cat burglar and whom I believe was born to be a closer.  Jon Broxton has the guts of a purse snatcher!  Kensai at Memories of Kevin Maloneargues (very lucidly) that Broxton’s stats indicate he IS clutch.  All I can say is “Scoreboard”  – a 65% closing percentage is unacceptable!

DODGER NOTES:

• After getting hit above the right ear with a line drive in what was sickening to watch, it is amazing that Hiroki Kuroda is reported to be OK after spending the night in the hospital (he’s evidently a “hard head”);
  • Charlie Haeger is allegedly going to get the start Monday (I said “allegedly”);
  • It’s up to Randy Wolf to shut down the D-Backs today.  It would be good if Broxton didn’t pitch.

Minor League Recap – 8/15/09 Compliments of Jared at http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque won 4-2

Tony Abreu – 1 for 3, 2 BB, K (.347 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 1 for 5 (.254 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 1 for 3, 2 RBI, CS, E (.283 BA)

Josh Lindblom – 2 IP, Hit, 0 R, BB, K (2.89 ERA)

Chattanooga played a double header

Game 1 – Chattanooga lost 2-0

Lucas May – 1 for 3, CS, E (.293 BA)
Andrew Lambo – 0 for 3 (.259 BA)

Chris Withrow – 5 IP, 6 Hits, ER, 0 BB, 4 K’s (4.72 ERA)

Game 2 – Chattanooga lost 5-2

Andrew Lambo – 1 for 3 (.260 BA)

Inland Empire won 8-1

Scott Van Slyke – 2 for 3, HR (21), 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB, E, OF Assist (.293 BA)
Steven Caseres – 1 for 4, HR (12), 2 RBI, 2 R, BB, K (.265 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 1 for 4 (.235 BA)

Tim Sexton – 7 IP, 6 Hits, R (0 ER), 2 BB, 3 K’s (3.17 ERA)
Kenley Jansen – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, 2 BB, K (9.00 ERA)

Great Lakes won 7-5

Dee Gordon – 2 for 5, 2B, RBI, R (.303 BA)
Kyle Russell – 0 for 3, RBI, BB, 2 K’s (.269 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 1 for 4, R, 2 K’s (.284 BA)
Jerry Sands – 1 for 3, RBI, R, BB (.237 BA)
Mario Songco – 1 for 4, 2B, R (.154 BA)

Ogden lost 8-7

BCG – 2 for 5, RBI, R, 2 K’s (.341 BA)
JT Wise – 2 for 4, R, K (.283 BA)
Blake Smith – 1 for 4, RBI, 3 K’s (.210 BA)

AZL lost 10-4

Jonathan Garcia – 1 for 4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K’s, 2 E’s (.284 BA)
Jan Vazquez – 2 for 4, 2B, R, K (.193 BA)

Amauri Guzman – 1.1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, BB, 2 K’s (2.61 ERA)

Players of the Day – Chris Withrow, RHP and Tim Sexton, RHP

Both 2007 draft picks had disappointing 2008 seasons but have really turn things around this year. Each of them started the year back in High A Inland Empire after struggling to perform, be it due to poor production (Sexton) or lack of playing time (Withrow). Chris is now in Double A at the ripe old age of 20 and, after a rough debut, has allowed just 1 earned run in his last 10 innings. Sexton has been one of the best pitchers in the California league, placing 4th in the circuit in ERA. Both have established themselves as top pitchers in the Dodgers’ system and are only a year or two away from the major leagues.

30 Responses to “We WILL NOT WIN With Broxton As Closer”

1. Mark Timmons says:

I recorded the game and watched the end of it this AM, and after this morning’s post, I went back and read last night’s comments. Illini Dodger was thinking exactly what I was this morning. He posted it first, but I didn’t steal it from him because I didn’t read it until after my post. It seems that great minds…

2. JSIMONN says:

HERE IS MY TAKE ON BROXTON-HE WAS A DOMINATING CLOSER IN APRIL AND MAY!-(SO I WOULD NOT SAY HE IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING THE JOB).HOWEVER,HE HAS OBVIOUSLY NOT BEEN THE SAME SINCE HE HAS HAD TOE TROUBLES.I FEEL LIKE THAT IS REALLY AFFECTING HIM IN TERMS OF PUSHING OFF THE MOUND.SO I DON’T AGREE WITH THE IDEA THAT HE CAN’T DO IT BUT I DO AGREE THAT WE NEED TO NOW MAKE THE SWITCH FROM OX TO SHERRILL AS CLOSER BECAUSE OUR LEAD IS ONLY 4 1/2 OVER ROCKIES AND 5 1/2 OVER SF.TODAY IS A HUGE DAY FOR US BECAUSE ROCKIES PLAY 2 IN FLA,SF PLAYS IN NY,AND WE GOT CHARLIE HAEGER VS,CARPENTER TOMORROW!-(THE ODDS OF WINNING TOMORROW IS VERY LOW!-BOTTOM LINE IS:I THINK OX IS NOT 100% HEALTHY AND IT IS AFFECTING HIM AND IF WE DON’T CLOSE THE DEAL IN THE WEST THERE WILL NOT BE AN OCOTBER AT ALL!-SO IT’S TIME!-GO DODGERS09!

3. Anonymous says:

Agreed Mark. I have always felt that Jonathan Broxton was a good setup man. How many more saves does he blow before they replace him? If his toe is hurting, then put him on the DL. Right now Brox is hurting the team more than he is helping.

4. Penos Cabell says:

Isn’t this why Ned brought George Sherrill? The guy is an experienced closer. He has been great since coming over. If Brox isn’t doing his job, there is someone on the team who can.

5. Mark Timmons says:

All I can say is that Brox has a 65% save percentage over his career. Toe? Whatever! It is what it is!

There have been times when Brox has been great, but his overall save percentage is only 65%. That’s not even as good as Bad Lidge!

Brox was hitting 98 consistently and hit 99 once. I can’t blame it on the toe. Actally, I think the problem lies 6 feet higher!

Why can’t a guy with a 98 mph fastball, an 86 mph change-up and a sharp breaking slider save games? Nobody has answered that question yet. Do what I did and check out Gameday to see if his pitches are grooved or straight – the answer is NO, THEY ARE NOT!!

I don’t get it. I am sure Joe doesn’t get it. But, I have to go along with the consensus here. Put him back in the 8th inning.

It would actually be good if Broxton DID pitch today. Or tomorrow at the latest. We know no Dodger pitcher will get past the 7th inning. That’s a given. So, we likely will have 3 more innings of relief that has to be pitched today. Who goes? If he feels ok, I would give Broxton an opportunity for a big strike out in the 7th or 8th.

I hope it isn’t the case, but this team looks snake-bit right now.

A dose of high octane offense would be helpful today.

And one more thing I have noticed in watching both of these games start to finish – the dbacks have a plan on how to pitch the Dodgers. Manny gets nothing in or up, everything is down. Ethier and Kemp get pitched in and away – especially Kemp. He has been buzzed at the chin three times in this series and pitched way inside consistently. High and tight, low and away. The Dodgers don’t do that. The dbacks are taking the inside away from the Dodgers, the Dodgers are not doing that to the dbacks.

For those of you who see the Dodgers every day – has this been going on for a while?

8. Jon Weisman says:

You can’t use save percentage stats to evaluate a reliever who has been a setup man most of his career. That’s because when you’re a setup man, all you can get are blown saves. You can be charged with a blown save in the eighth inning, but you can never get a save in the eighth inning. The stat is meaningless unless you limit it to ninth-inning opportunities.

The idea that Broxton can’t close is silly – he was the best closer in baseball for the first three months of the season. He’s having problems now that are quite possibly physical, but you have to make that distinction.

No excuses! Broxton is not right, shut him down! Save him for later. His velocity was there last night it was location. If you can go back and watch the back to back HRs Ausmus was set up outside and his ball rode back in. Right into Dave Kingman…err..Mark Reynolds wheel house. Same deal with Montero.

Kuroda was looking good last night, is sure was scary to see him get hurt like he did. Thank God it looks like he will be OK.

10. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

That is my main beef with Honeycutt – he doesn’t stress pitching inside. He also doesn’t stress holding runners, but that’s not as big a deal as pitching inside consistently!

But yes, that is a pattern.

11. Mark Timmons says:

Jon,

I agree with you to a point. You are right about the blown saves as a set-up man, but results are the thing I care about most. It may be Broxton’s toe. I don’t know, but I think we need a change, at least for a while. I was an advocate of DL’ing Broxton when the toe issue arose.

I don’t like sweeping generalizations (although I made one with Broxton) and maybe he can close again. It seems to be he gets beat with balls right down the middle. He doesn’t seem to paint the corners – it’s either way out of the zone, or right down broadway!

12. Mark Timmons says:

All I know is that most of Broxton’s blown saves haave been real daggers to the Dodgers’ hearts. Like Badger asks “WHY?” His stuff is so good that no one should hit him. Is it solely location?

13. Mark Timmons says:

I do have to point out that Major League Managers in Baseball America picked Jon Broxton as the Best Closer in the NL.

So, what do I know?

The game last night just hurt. I don’t know what the problem is, I only know we should have won a minimum of two games this series against a bad D-Back team. Our team is in trouble and it better get it figured out by this time next month. The clock is tickin and the games are a slippin. I truely hope Kuroda is OK. That was one ugly site to see the ball coming off Hiroki’s head like a pop fly off of one of Raffy’s slapped bunt attempts.

CLiff Lee would have been a great pick up at the trading deadline however that’s spilt milk now.

I am confused about Broxton. One game he’s dominate and the next game he’s not. Broxton even got lucky on the first strike out in the dirt last night. Sherill went through the order he was facing with no problem. Maybe it’s time to switch. Then we will just have to worry about holding the lead in the 8th. What a mess…….

Broxton’s pitches were not in the wheelhouse Romey. Reynolds guessed right and was on it. Montero hit a good pitch. I’ll tell you the first thing I would do in ST is teach these guys the importance of, and how to, control the inside of the plate. Do to Reynolds what they are doing to Kemp. It’s effective if you miss high and tight. Hell, I was doing that in Pony Legue in the 60′s and I learned it from watching Drysdale and Gibson pitch. The first pitch to Reynolds should be a 98 mile an hour Burma shave. Then, maybe that change-up would be more effective. You don’t have to hit them to send the message. Just watch how Kemp is being pitched, and not one ump has said a thing about it.

I agree with Jon about Broxton. He IS a closer. He has great stuff to get the job done. Something else is going on right now. Put him back in the 8th until he gets his confidence back. Sherrill can do the job. Heck, depending on who is coming up in the 8th, that may be the inning the game is actually closed.

We could continue to talk all day about pitching, but if we don’t start averaging 5.5 runs a game, we are vulnerable to being caught.

Where are the bats?

Also, last nights loss may have something to do with Broxton but what about the other 5 out of 7 losses over the past week? We can’t blame them all on Broxton can we? This team has more then one thing wrong with it like stranding base runners and starting pitching, an over worked relief staff and on and on. So if you guys are going to lynch someone today, may sure you pick the right guy.

Amen brother Bill.

A complete game, and 6 runs, would come in handy for this team.

Mark, I understand your frustration with Broxton. Perhaps I am somewhat confused however when your blog left me under the impression that Broxton has given up back to back 5 times this season, which wouldn’t be beyond belief with him but in all actuality prior to last nught he had only surrendered 2 home runs this season and his season total now is 4. I think what half the players on this team need is an physco-analysts. P.S. Even though the reports are good on Hiroki, I would be shocked if he pitched again this month or possibly even this year.

19. LADODGERDAVE says:

wow,

I’m pretty excited we are playing so well and now have the cardinals and cubs back to back…..can we say the rockies are probably “salivating” right now????

this team scares me more and more each game, i know every team has their slumps but come on….this is getting ugly

sincerely,

very depressed dodger dave

20. SNG says:

SNQ Manager

Furcal – S
    Pierre – L
    Hudson – S
    Rameriz – R
    Either – L
    Blake – R
    Loney – L
    Martin – R
    Wolf – L

Bring up Stults & DL Kuroda (The Player’s Union should be Calling), Bring up Elbert and DL Troncoso (Sore Arm)

Relievers available today – Belisario, Broxton, Mota, & Weaver
    Relievers not available today Sherrill (Becoming Overused), Troncoso (Sore/Lousy Arm), McDonald (Torre’s New Sweat Reliever) & Kuo (Never back-to-back)
    Closer today – Broxton. If Broxton Blows, then put him on DL for his Toes

If Wolf is bombed:
    Reliever to put out fire – Mota
    Long reliever – Weaver

For those of us that thought that the Vargas trade was dumb now is the time to find your old posts and repost so that you can prove that you are not a MNQ. Will Ned bring back Schmidt?

21. Mark Timmons says:

Vargas has pitched 7 innings for the Brewers since the trade and has a 3.86 ERA with 1 blown save.

22. SNG says:

Of the 21 blown saves this year Broxton has only 5, “Dead Arm” Wade has 6, “Rookie” Belisario 5, Mota 2, Ohman 1, Troncoso 1, & Kuo 1.

Some of the blown saves were by people who never should have been in that position in the first place.

23. Mark Timmons says:

Wow!

Troncoso only has 1?

24. Illini Dodger says:

Mark,

Let the church say Amen to your post!! I was a big Broxton fan early in the year, but talk about the sublime crashing into the ridiculous! Love your insight into the Blue. That’s why I stop here first every day for my Dodger juice. Thanks for the great work.

25. Willie says:

Not all of Broxton’s blown saves have resulted in losses.

26. In fact, Willie, Broxton is 7-0 this season! OMG, we need to pitch Broxton every game, we’d be 118-0 by now!

27. whitneymuse says:

listened to the KABC broadcast of Monday’s game; it was hard to pickup the signal; but the game was such a rout, anyway. Gosh, this could ba a very hard September, too. It seems that it’s going to be another San Diego, battle. At least it will be live on the cable signal I have (AWWWK).

28. Karinthia says:

Too many comilpmetns too little space, thanks!