The Yankees Still Haunt Torre

The Yankees Still Haunt Torre
Jason Schmidt leaving town - www.LaDodgerTalk.com - 2009

Jason Schmidt leaving town - www.LaDodgerTalk.com - 2009

After last night’s debacle of the pen, the Yankees led by a walk off home run by A-Rod, claimed the best record in baseball from Joe Torre and the Dodgers.   That says it all.

I felt early in the game that Billingsley was still favoring his hamstring and did not have his normal “follow-through” during his pitching motion.  When Chad came out of the last game, it was incorrectly assumed by those who want to demonize Billingsley that he hadn’t taken in enough fluids.  You know what happens when you assume.  There are 4 or 5 things that can cause hamstring pulls, which include lack of hydration, mineral imbalances, improper biomechanics, poor diet and repetative stress.  To assume it was hydration, well the first 3 letters of the word “assume” tell the story.  I look for Billingsley to go on the DL for 15 days, complicating our pitching situation, but problems are sometimes opportunities in drag, and who knows who might step up.

Of greater concern to me is our closer, or lack thereof.  Maybe you know why the Dodgers acquired Sherrill now.  Chew on this for a while:  In the modern game, the closer has become a key component of a championship team.  He’s the guy who NEVER gives the lead back.  He closes (SLAMS) the door on the competition.  In his 14 years in the league, Mariano Rivera has been the epitome of that guy – 513 saves verses 27 blown saves.  As belittled as Brad Lidge has been, in his 7 years in the league, he has 185 saves and 33 blown saves, but what is most important is that he had 41 saves verses ZERO  blown saves for the Phillie’s last year in their Championship run.  Closers make a huge difference.

Which brings me to to Jon Broxton.  In his 4 years in the league, he has 43 saves and has blown 23 saves, including his 4th blown save of the year.  THINK ABOUT ITIn his career, Broxton blows a save for about every 2 saves he gets. That is totally unacceptable, and something that will lead to an early demise in the playoffs if it continues, which is why we may see more of Sherrill in that role.   Those 4 games that Broxton has blown are 4 games where were were ahead, had taken the lead and had defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.  It’s demoralizing, is what it is!

• I failed to see the logic of bringing in Kuo when Bills left the game.  James McDonald would have been a much better choice, if only for the reason that Kuo shouldn’t pitch in back-to-back games.
  • Yes, Kuo gave up 2 runs and Tronscoso and Elbert got torched, but make no mistake – Jon Broxton blew this game for us.  Yes, a fan ran onto the field and may have distracted him.  Maybe the fan distracted the hitters too.  NO EXCUSES!  A closer has to be tough and Broxton ain’t!  Bills and Broxton both have to get tougher if we are to win this thing.  We need them both to step it up in the clutch.  Change your thinking, change your life.  Andre did!
  • Have we seen the last of Jason Schmidt?  It seems like he may have had enough.  He can=me back.  He gave it his best.  Now he rides off into the sunset.  His locker was cleaned out, indicating that he wants to quit or was forced out by the Dodgers.
  • Casey Blake continues to roll..  Mighty Casey stuck to the script, Broxton blew his lines!
  • I think James Loney should sit today and let Abreu play 3B with Blake going to 1B, even though there is a RH going today.  James is pressing.
  • The pen needs a long outing by Clayton today.  Our ace needs to step up.
  • Don’t look now, but Martin is up to .271!
  • Charlie Haeger left the ALBQ game after 4 excellent innings… what do you make of that?
  • First-round pick Aaron Miller allowed three hits and struck out six over five innings Friday as the Great Lakes Loons blanked West Michigan, 3-0. The 36th overall selection in this year’s Draft is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA in two Midwest League starts.
  • Kyle Russell has 24 HR at Great Lakes but also has 143 K’s, which means he strikes out once every 2.7 AB’s!
  • Elbert can probably still start Sunday if Joe wants because he only threw 13 pitches in the game.  It’s like a bullpen session, but who knows?  Stults or Haegar or Weaver may get the call…

P.S.  I predicted the Tony Abreu callup two days before it happened.  Get it here first, Folks.  Extra, Extra, Read all abaout it!  We make up the news before it happens!

REMINDER:

This website is for died-in-the-wool Dodger fans who realize that while statistics are important, they are just another tool and know that humans, not numbers, play the game of baseball. To that end, we do not live and die by sabermetrics or statistical analysis.

We are civil to one another and do not talk politics and religion. Cursing and derogatory language are not permitted. Show respect to one another and let’s root for the Dodgers.

Here are a few rules we observe here:

1) Do not use profanity or any euphemisms for profanity;
2) Do not personally attack other commenters;
3) Do not bait other commenters;
4) Do not argue for the sake of arguing; and
5) Do not discuss politics or religion.

Now I am adding a 6th – Post only under your own name or nickname or moniker.  Several people (more than 6) are posting under multiple names and unless you can provide me with a doctor’s excuse that you have multiple-personality disorder, please refrain from posting under other names.  Our software will soon block those typoes of posts.

I confess – I posted a couple of times under the name Orel Sax.  Anyone want that name?

42 Responses to “The Yankees Still Haunt Torre”

I will say again what I said on the other thread….. the game was lost by the players, not the manager.

Kuo pitched 17 pitches the night before. Big deal. He should be able to come in the next day to throw 17 more. He is a relief pitcher, that is what he is paid to do. Elbert threw 13 pitches two days before a start. So what? He would do that in a bullpen session anyway.

Torre brought in the pitchers he thought had the best chance of getting Braves hitters out. They didn’t get the job done. Stuff happens.

Something isn’t right with Broxton. You can say what you want about his career numbers, but even with his recent failures he is 24 for 28 in SVO. I think maybe he needs some healing time. His WHIP is still under 1 and that is outstanding.

Many of us have been wondering when this pitching staff would start showing signs of fractures. It’s August. Is this it? Or, is this just a blip?

2. Mark Timmons says:

I don’t blame Torre for the loss – It’s just that given Kuo’s injury history, I would be loathe to pitch him on back-to-back days until the playoffs.

3. Blue Haze says:

Rule 7: You are not allowed to have any fun, unless it fits my definition of fun.

Wow, Mark you sure have changed since you started your own blog. I think you have been reading your own blogs about yourself. Lighten up, you are now taking yourself and your blog wayyyyyyyyy tooooooooo seriously.

Yikes!!!

Mark – Good rule addition – Yippie yi Yaaaaay

Free Stults

5. Mark Timmons says:

Haze,

We can have fun and I do, but I am going to prevent issues from coming up before they start. I am responsible for my posts and everyone should do the same. I just don’t want people hiding behind an assumed name. Have all the fun you want, but you know what happens when politics come in – ditto with the monikers.

Bruce Willis?

6. Blue Haze says:

Rule 8: No smiling when writing your posts.

In all seriousness, how about a rule about excessive whining. Excessive whining is way more offensive than any joking. Just delete whiny posts, no one wants to hear them, it makes the poster look like a complete idiot, besides adding the pussy factor to the blog. As you said this is died in the wool dodger site, real Dodger fans don’t whine, they may bitch, but never whine.

Lock up Whiners!

7. Mark Timmons says:

Haze,

Where do you draw the line? For instance, some may think you are whining about whiners.

That’s a hard one.

We are going to disagree about losts of stuff, but here’s the key word:

Respect!

Let’s agree to disagree without being disagreeable!

Broxton is not a closer. He is a good reliever that should pitch every other day. Staying in a rhythm will help the boy’s performance. Kuo is not a healthy reliever. He should pitch every other day.

Bringing in a long reliever in the 7th inning with a 3 run lead, with your Ace starting the next day is the best way to rest your bullpen in August. Mac or Weaver would have been much better choices then Kuo.

Cox learned his lesson. The Braves walked Ethier 4 times to get to Manny or his replacement. Not such a great idea now Torre is it to take Manny out of the game and have the pitcher hitting behind Ethier. Ethier’s recent good performance and Manny’s recent poor performance shows that Ethier may no longer need Manny hitting behind him.

Loney is Loony at Dodger Stadium. Left Swing – Left Wing haha. Loney should hit 8th at home and 5th on the road.

Mark – Haeger needed his innings reduced in order to stay fresh in September after Law Dog calls him up to the Dodgers. However, if Bills goes on the DL he should be given the try out for 2 weeks. This roster move might require a DFA for someone!

Mark – you should allow all of the whining required to balance all of the Cheese in some people’s comments.

I am bumming about last nights game. Broxton choked. I don’t think he in terrible but he just choked last night. McClouth is a killer. He was when he was with Pittsburgh and he is now. I know the game was lost later but that at bat by McClouth and stolen base were the tipping point for me.

Mark, as for Bills (and the shot at me) and having not enough fluids? The cramping is usually caused by the lack of fluids. I know this hammy injury is probably related, if not the same one. I worry about it now because of the way he walked off the mound, he looked injuerd and afraid to even attempt to chance it. As many of you know, Hammy pulls hurt and Hammy tears are excruciating!

I think a 15 day stint will do him good. Bring back Stults!

11. lawdog says:

I happened to notice last night that they only give us the gun reading about 75% of the time. Thus, I suppose Schmidt could have been throwing harder on those pitches where the gun reading was not shown although the law of averages says otherwise. Still, if Mover says that’s what the official gun readings on an official site say, I must defer since I just watched what I was given by the Dodger Network.

If Broxton is suffering from Turf Toe he will continue to struggle like he did last night until it heals on it’s own or he has it surgically repaired. I don’t see anything different in his delivery–he’s always tended to blow up once in a while. But I do know that turf toe is a serious problem that is chronic until prolonged rest or surgery fixes it.

I can keep second guessing Torre all day on his bullpen management. Why Elbert if he’s going to start Sunday, particularly with another more experienced, well rested lefty who has been very successful this year sitting in the pen?

Badger, it’s easy to say you could pitch two nights in a row–but how many times has your elbow and shoulder been reconstructed and how many fastballs over 95 mph do you throw? Does your curve snap like Kuo’s? Why risk injury to Kuo by rushing him in without proper warm up when their were so m any other good options sitting on their hands in the pen. If he’d gone straight to Sherrill we probably would have been up by 3 in the ninth and Broxton’s failure which resulted in 1 run wouldn’t have blown the save.

I think a lot of the blame for the last night’s loss can be put at the feet of Joe Torre. Me wonders if Torre took the night off and got Del Tracy to sub for him. He had as many mind farts as Tracy used to have in any given game.

DRomo I was at least half serious when I said that I was concerned that the cause of his lack of fluids is related to his energy drain after a very standard period of time about 100 minutes – which is one sign of possibly having diabetes. This obeservation is probably not, and hopefully not correct, as there are many other causes for lack of fluids like the chemical imbalance that Mike Whitmarsh had years ago when he was a beach vollyball star. A simple 30 second test will resolve the issue regarding diabetes.

Medical benefits of Wine http://www.beekmanwine.com/prevtopab.htm

Medical deteriments of Cheese http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

Keep the posts Vegan

13. lawdog says:

Have Ausmus develop a hang nail in batting practice, put him on the 15 day DL and bring up Ellis and Haeger for a couple or three starts. We’re playing everyday for another 20 days or so and need that #5. Face it, Haeger is probably the best secret weapon we have. Only Duke Snider could consistently hit a great knuckle ball and he doesn’t play for the national league anymore. The key to winning in the playoffs may come down to having a pitcher we can rely on to get people,out with the chips down. The dancer, thrown for a strike, will have most of these young fastball hitters swinging three times at each pitch before it settles into the catchers glove–as the catcher lunges at it and hope it hits and sticks in the oversized mitt. Haeger, surprisingly, can throw the little bugger for a strike consistently despite his tender age.

What have we got to lose except our need for another starter?

Kuo is either healthy or he is not. 17 pitches is nothing. If he had thrown 30 the night before, he sits. He has thrown 3.1 innings this month. And why are we saying Kuo wasn’t warmed up? Bills hurt his leg running to first. Did not Kuo get up then?

Broxton IS a closer, but I agree about his toe. If that’s the problem, Sherrill is our closer and set-up is by committee.

“euphemisms for profanity” – does that include Orel Sax and Timbuck-two? And, why the warning? What did I miss?

I still say Torre is wearing out the bullpen because his starters can’t go 7+. Will any of our guys actually pitch 200 innings this year?

• Ken says:

Bills 220, 221 what ever it takes (Less if he goes on the DL)
      Wolf 214
      Kershaw 184
      Kuroda 111

Next is a reliever – Troncoso 96

Law Dog – Yes but first you have to deal with the 40 man roster. Belisario was in the dugout last night presumably for call up today. Therefore he is probably taking Schimdt’s spot on the 25 man roster. If Haeger is called up then the 40 man roster is full and Schmidt would have to either be placed on the 60-day or DFA’d. I think the Dodger Brass is not ready for that today but may be soon.

I think that the Dodger Brass wants to be at 39 men on the 40 man roster in order to pick up a high priced pitcher that is waived. NED has said several times that he might go that route.

Something will happen and Haeger will be up not later than Sept 1

Thursday is the next rest day and then 10 games in a row then a rest day and then 16 more games in a row. Help!

Has Frank’s private jet booked a daily flight plan back and forth from LAX to ABQ yet?

16. lawdog says:

You’re right Ken. I’d forgotten that Haeger is not on the 40 man roster and was just considering what was necessary to juggle the 28 man active roster to get him playing time before September–just in case we want to use him in the playoffs as well as the end of the season. Once you put someone on the 40 man roster you can’t take it back.

Our caution might cost us though with Bills down with a real injury. Haeger has earned his sniff at the big leagues. He was probably the most consistent pitcher in AAA to this point. I wonder why he just went 4 innings last night? What are the dogs planning and how does it effect Chuck Haeger?

Wolf hasn’t pitched 200 innings in 5 years. I suppose at age 32 it’s possible. Bills might be down for a while. Kershaw? I think 184 is about right. That leaves a lot of innings for our bullpen.

The 40 man can be adjusted. There are a few guys who can be waived, released, DL’d and DFA’d.

Here, you choose:

Remember last year when we heard we would regret losing Jon Meloan? He was just DFA by the Rays. In a couple of days we could probably have him back in our system. Maybe he can recapture what he had with us?

19. SteveM says:

I can this rotation in 2011: 1. Billingsley, 2. Kershaw, 3. McDonald, 4. Elbert & 5. Lindblom. We’re 3/5 of the way there when Elbert gets his chance tomorrow.

Bills had hammie trouble in his last start, it was obviously (now) more than just a cramp. If anyone thinks this could be even more serious, I agree. The way he was sweating through his cap was NOT right. All that along his recent slumping makes me think he’s not 100%, maybe related some way to the broken leg he suffered this last winter. Something to watch closely – and hope for the best.

Rule #8 (or #9 – I lost track) Thou musteth useth Spell-Check before thou presseth thy Submit button. The Lord sayeth unto you.

20. matt says:

Chris withrow will be in our rotation by 2011.

21. SpokaneBob says:

I know it would have put the winning run on base, but would anyone have walked Anderson last night? I had the same feeling as when Jack Clark came up and Tommy pitched to him.

Mark, I didn’t get back here until today. Things must have gotten nasty. Can I buy the transcripts from you? :)

I did ask about what the folks here thought about Torre as our manager. Can you give a short recap?

22. Blue Haze says:

I don’t think you missed anything, I must have missed the same nastiness.

Mark, thank you for noticing and pointing out my point about whining. God this is too easy.

Do we have a deadline for deciding on our “permanent moniker”?

AS far as last nights game goes, we are even with blowing 9th innings with the Braves. The night before the Dodgers pulled one out of the hat that should have never been.

Boy, did the plate umpire shaft the Braves, and for good measure he tosses Cox for arguing with him. Umps need to be held accountable for such blatant calls.

23. Bill Russell-aka BRuss says:

Who got nasty. I think I missed something.

Who else got their little feelings hurt in here besides me?

Broxton looks very rusty. He needs a regular schedule of pitching every other day or to move aside and let Sherrill take over. It was very disappointing having the lead going into the 9th and let it slip away. Just because we stole one on Thursday doesn’t mean we have to give one back on Friday. We are playing like Robin Hood and not the 2009 Destiny Dodgers.

Billingsley going down is going to be a major blow. If Romo thinks our pitching is soft now just wait until our rotation has Weaver and Stults in it. Cliff Lee is looking pretty good now isn’t he Ned? Where’s Vargas? Can we do a take back? Or can that Catcher pitch? Stay tuned…………………

25. mark says:

Blue Haze,

I’ll sell you OrelSax.

(that sounds bad)

Good points about Bills. I am worried. Some of us said early in the year the pitching looked iffy – no real 5th, a young unproven starter, (as well as an unproven pen) Kuroda goes down….

and now we are talking about a AAA starter, a 42 year old likely washed up HOFer and a guy named Stults. Lee sure would look good down the stretch for us wouldn’t he?

We may need to start hitting like we did early. It could be high scoring the rest of the way.

27. lawdog says:

It looks as if Ken, like Badger and myself, is a vegetarian. Very rare to find attorney vegetarians. That diet tends to ameliorate the “run over your grandmother for a nickel” state of mind which is so critical to running a successful practice. ;)

28. lawdog says:

I was thinking of resuming my alter ego moniker–”cliche man.” “90% of this game is 50% mental.” “It’s not over until the fat lady sings.”

Here is tonights line-up. Furcal,Andre and Manram, hitting in the clean-up spot is MATT Kemp followed by James and O-Dog starting at 3rd base and batting 7th is our newest Dodger Tony Abreu Ausmus will bat 8th and catch our Ace in the making young Clayton.

30. Steven says:

Although Martin has steadily increased his batting average, he still can’t throw anyone out to save his life.

31. T says:

How many of those blown saves were from his set up days? You can’t count those blown saves because they were not done as a closer. Set up guys blow holds all the time but they still count them as blown saves.

32. lawdog says:

A blown save is a blown save. Just like a win is a win, a loss is a loss and a hold is a hold. Set up guys who blow saves become long relievers in time.

33. matt says:

4 of chad billingsleys wins this year have been blown by Broxton. Broxton should give up half his arbritration money to billingsley next year

34. Mark Timmons says:

T,

You can only get a blown save if you would have gotten a save by actually saving a game. A blown hold is not a blown save.

None of Broxton’s blown saves are blown holds.

35. Mark Timmons says:

Steven,

Russ Martin is 3rd in all of MLB with 22 runners caught. Laird is #1 with 24 and Posada is #2 with 23.

Not bad for a guy who can’t throw…

36. Mark Timmons says:

Martin also has the fewest errors, 2nd most most assists, fewest passed balls, most double plays and 2nd highest range factor…

and everyone berates him.

Are you watching a different game?

37. Mark Timmons says:

In the first inning, the TV had Kershaw at 92 – 93. Gameday had him at 94 – 95!

Scott “Charlie Brown” Elbert meet Joe “Lucy” Torre!!!

Anybody seen Manny?

You score 1 run in 10 innings you don’t deserve to win.

40. when we were hitting good was when we had all are speed in the 1-2-3- spots..what happen to that line up… bring it back..and furcal hardly never steals any more..

41. lawdog says:

I think I heard Paul Revere in the Dodger Stadium parking lot scream: “The Giants are coming! The Giants are coming! To arms! To arms! The Giants are coming!”

Fat lot of good it’s done us. Durn Braves! SOBs are tough to beat.