The Dodgers Will Look A Lot Different Next Year

The Dodgers Will Look A Lot Different Next Year

BelliardI know that we are in the midst of a pennant race, but it always is important to look ahead, and plan ahead.  I have a few ideas as to how the team will look next year and I’m sure Ned has some of the same thoughts, but first:  Ronnie Belliard for Minor League pitcher Luis Garcia and another Minor Leaguer to be named later?  I don’t get it!  Belliard is essentially Mark Loretta.  Ned has lusted after him a a couple of years now and I still don’t get it.  Garcia isn’t really considered a prospect  and I still don’t get it.  Belliard isn’t a bad player, but he’s not a SS, and I still don’t get it.  No matter how I look at it, I still don’t get it, and then we have to lose someone from the 40-man roster and I really don’t get it!   Joe Torre said that Belliard will be used primarily to back up second baseman Orlando Hudson.   Now, I really, really don’t get it!

Did I mention that I don’t get it?  Maybe they just like the sound of “Belliard and Belisario.”  That sounds like Dewie, Cheatham and Howe.

OK, that is reality, now back to fantasy!

The Dodgers will have to consider signing their young players long-term or trading them before next season.  I see us signing Ethier, Kemp and Billingsley long-term and trading Loney and Martin.  The Dodgers need a power-hitting 1B and Adrian Gonzalez is at the top of their list.  Loney and Martin could very well be the key pieces in a trade for Gonzalez, although neither one will likely go to San Diego.  They will go to other teams (Martin to Toronto?) for prospects that will go to San Diego.  To get  Adrian, we will probably have to give up DeWitt and McDonald as well.    I am not down on Russ Martin nearly as much as some are (in fact, he has been my favorite Dodger), but I think AJ Ellis can be an excellent defensive catcher and hit .260 with no power (sounds like Martin this year), however we upgrade the team by dramatically improving our power at 1B, and still have an excellent defensive 1B in Gonzo.

Nor will the Dodgers likely be player for Orlando Hudson, and will only get him back if there is no market for him.  We have Tony Abreu ready to step in at 2B and he’s a very economical choice.  There is a market for Juan Pierre, although we may have to include a few bucks (not much), and remember, he only has 2 years left on his deal.  He won’t net us a lot, but we’ll get salary relief which we can use for a free agent pitcher (Rich Hardin?).    At any rate, we will be stuck with Raffy another year, and hopefully he can play better than this year.  So, here’s my 2010 Dodger lineup:

1. Furcal  SS
  2. Abreu  2B
  3. Ethier  RF
  4. Manny  LF
  5. Gonzo  1B
  6. Kemp  CF
  7. Blake  3B
  8. Ellis  C

That’s a formidable lineup, especially considering that Kemp and Ethier will be another year more mature.  Both could challenge for MVP.    That lineup could be the first Dodger lineup since Cey, Garvey, Smith and Baker all hit 30 HR.  Actually, I would hope that Manny opts out of his contract, and maybe someone will pay him more, but I doubt it.  If Manny were to Opt Out, then we could keep Pierre and the lineup would look like this:

1. Pierre  LF
  2. Abreu  2B
  3. Ethier  RF
  4. Kemp  CF
  5. Gonzo  1B
  6. Blake  3B
  7. Furcal  SS
  8. Ellis  C

Think about it…

Rants & Raves

• What a bullpen!  Well, actually it was amazing pitching from top-to-bottom.  Kershaw was outstanding (Ace-Like) and Sherrill, Troncoso, Kuo and McDoanld were stellar.  Brox got the save and I was impressed because he had to utilize his “other” pitches because he wasn’t controlling his fastball.  If he can do that, he’ll be fine.
  • On a down note, the Dodgers scored 3 runs on 11 hits and stranded 23 runners (cumulative).
  • I don’t have any idea what the record is, but the Dodgers 11 hits were by 11 different players – nobody had more than 1 hit.
  • Matt KEMP!
  • Didn’t I tell you that the Rockie were going to start losing?  The law of averages caught up to them.  The Giants and the Rockies are both 6.0 games out.  The Rox have now lost 5 in a row!
  • The Dodgers now have a 3.50 MLB Leading Team ERA – the Giants are all the way down at 3.54!  ;)
  • The Dodgers had 20 K’s yesterday, with Kershaw leading the way with 11.
  • Bill Plaschke has a MUST READ today on Juan Pierre – Read it and you will know the Juan Pierre I do!  Here’s a bit:

“It ain’t right,” he said, and you thought, here it comes, a gushing of ego, a drenching of teamwork, the pathetic plea of the fallen.

Except Juan Pierre, for the first of many times, took a stunning turn.

“Don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel bad, I feel guilty,” he explained. “I’ve been thinking about it. I’m making $10 million and doing nothing. It’s like I’m just taking the Dodgers’ money.”

He shook his head.

“I owe this team something every night, and it ain’t right that I can’t do that, and I’ve got to figure out a way to fix it,” he said, and from that moment, I have openly cheered for Juan Pierre.

• Let’s see if Wolf can keep it going and kill some snakes tonight…

Minor League Recap – 8/30/09  by Jared of TrueBluLA
Albuquerque won 8-4

Blake DeWitt – 2 for 4, R, BB, E (.259 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 1 for 1 (.291 BA)
Jamie Hoffman – 1 for 3, R, BB (.286 BA)

Chattanooga won 2-1

Andrew Lambo – 1 for 4, 2B, RBI, K (.257 BA)
Lucas May – 0 for 1, K (.307 BA)

James Adkins – 5 IP, 4 Hits, 0 R, BB, 4 K’s (4.41 ERA)

Inland Empire lost 3-1

Scott Van Slyke – 1 for 3, 2B, R, HBP (.293 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 0 for 4, K (.235 BA)
Steven Caseres – 2 for 4, RBI, E (.262 BA)

Kenley Jansen – 0.2 IP, Hit, 0 R, BB, K (5.19 ERA)

Great Lakes won 4-2

Kyle Russell – 0 for 2, 2 BB, 2 K’s, SB, PO (.274 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 1 for 4, RBI (.274 BA)
Jerry Sands – 1 for 4, HR (5), RBI, R, K (.221 BA)

Cole St Clair – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, K (2.70 ERA)

Ogden won 7-5

Mario Songco – 1 for 5, 2B, R (.350 BA)
Clay Calfee – 2 for 5, RBI, K (.353 BA)
Nick Akins – 1 for 3, R, BB, K (.254 BA)
Kyle Orr – 1 for 4, 2B, K (.213 BA)

AZL did not play
Player of the day – James Adkins, LHP

The 23 year old 2007 supplemental first rounder has had an up and down season. He’s had major struggles with his command, as evidenced by his 69 walks in 132.2 innings pitched. His strikeout rate isn’t much better (5.22 / 9). However, he’s shown the ability to consistently keep the ball on the ground, as he’s posted a 1.36 ground/fly ratio and allowed just 8 home runs in 25 starts. Adkins’ future is still up in the air, though I see him as more of a reliever/LOOGY at this point instead of a back-end starter.

60 Responses to “The Dodgers Will Look A Lot Different Next Year”

Yes we must simultaneously think about days’s game and the future including 9/1/09 D-Day. I am wondering what the Dodgers have to give in trade from the AAA and AA levels. I am concerned about the lack of quality of the current 14 protected minor league Dodgers. Hopefully the players not yet required to be protected will be better than the current bunch of protected farm hands.

Which of the following protected players will ever have the ability to play more than one full season for the Dodgers?

Elbert – Yes
    Leach – Maybe
    Schlitling – Maybe
    Stults – Maybe
    Wade – Maybe
    Castillo – Maybe
    Garate – Maybe

Ellis, AJ – Yes
    May – Maybe

Abreu – Yes
    DeWitt – Maybe
    Chin Lung Hu – Maybe

Hoffman – Maybe
    Repko – No

The protected farm hands will look at lot different next year too.

PS The loss of Cook, Embree and Fowler took the wind out of the Rockies’ sails.

There is about $20 mil dead wood coming off the pitching payroll after this season. Harden might want to pitch where there are less day games and a lot less gopher ball aiding winds. If Ned wants to get rid of Manny, and his salary, and sign a different free agent all he needs to do is adopt and enforce a hair style & length policy.

Can the Dodgers please obtain some players with regular haircuts?

Garcia improved a lot this year. BAD TRADE. Now which 3 guys are going to be DFA’d to allow Belliard to play and to bring back Eyechart and Ohman? And forget about Paul coming off the 60 Day DL this year.

Good point: Who comes off the roster (for a day) to make room for Belliard?

Mark, I dont get it either? Weren’t we looking for a guy with power off the bench? I heard names like Gomes even Tony Clark, but Belliard? OK?

I have never liked Ronnie Belliard I have never liked his game but sometimes a guy puts on the blue and it changes my opinion. We shall see.

You took the words right off my keyboard. We already have Ronnie Bellliard and his name is Mark Loretta. Why not keep the arm (use it to get another starter in the off season) and let Abreu get the at bats. I am sure he could do as much with them as Belliard could.

This is Jed at his best. This is what he does.

Good points Ken. Except maybe the haircut thing. I got no problem with it. Now Lincecum needs a haircut. Or maybe a sytlist.

A lot of maybe’s on that list. I would recommend using several of them for one or two sure things.

If I am not mistaken, Manny’s option is his. At the rate he is going he stays. If he has a terrific September, which we all hope for, he goes.

More On Torre

“Here’s an explanation for not bunting that I hadn’t heard before, from Joe Torre via Dylan Hernandez of The Times.

In the 10th and 12th innings, Rafael Furcal went to the plate with (Manny) Ramirez on first. He didn’t try to bunt Ramirez to second base either time. The reason? Torre said he thinks most leadoff hitters have trouble bunting for anything other than a hit. Torre believes that most leadoff hitters are more used to bunting with their feet on the move instead of in place and said he didn’t want Furcal to do anything that felt unnatural.”

Really?

So, bunting for a base hit, and only moving the runner over, is not a good idea?

I would rather hear him say he doesn’t belive in giving up an out. That makes more sense to me than the above ‘splanation.

8. Ty says:

I’m not against trading Loney and Martin and getting Adrian Gonzalez. Manny may not have it anymore and Gonzalez can definitely make up for Manny’s lack of pop.

I don’t know if I’d want Ellis as the catcher. He offers no offense. He’s more of a back up. I’m sure a better catcher could be found on the market for a reasonable price.

I like Abreu. The guy can hit but can he stay healthy? I wouldn’t count on it. I’d put DeWitt and Abreu both in there. They can share the position until one proves that he can hit in this league. Maybe throw in a healthy DeJesus into the mix.

9. Ty says:

Make sure you read Plashke’s article in the LA Times today. It’s about how he is now a Matt Kemp fan.

Plashke is such an idiot. This is the same guy that wanted to trade Kemp beacuse of a few base running mistakes 2 years ago. I knew back then that I’d read a “I love Kemp” article from Plashke one day.

10. Mark Timmons says:

I would not generally defend Plaschke, but Kemp did change his attitude this year to become more receptive to coaching…

• Ty says:

That’s the problem with Plashke. Kemp was a rookie back then who was prone to mistakes. Kemp wasn’t the first youngster with an ego and he won’t be the last but Plashke failed to realize that it’d be a lot smarter to keep Kemp and try to manage his ego and attitude than to trade him.

Kemp may have changed his atittude recently. No big surprise. I’m sure he’s matured too. I guess Plashke expects all of his kids to be fully mature out of the womb (sp ck).

Writers need something to write about. Plaschke is a good writer. Sometimes he just says stuff to create talk about it.

I am not sure about Ellis. He is also two years older than Martin. I too see him as a back-up type catcher. I have no idea who might be available, that is why right now, I don’t move Martin, and certainly not within the division. I was maybe ok with him going back to Canada in a deal for Halladay, but now, he is my everyday catcher.

I think Abreu is over his injury. The same thing was being said about La Roche and he is now an everyday third baseman hitting in the clean-up spot for Pittsburgh. Abreu is one of the only pure hitters we have brought up in our organization. I would have him here now. In fact, I would give him Bellioretta’s job.

Anybody know if the fires in L.A. might affect the games?

12. Kay in L.A. says:

It will be smoky over the stadium. Or maybe Buddy can help me with spelling; is it “smokey?” LOL.

Look at those nasty cornrows and the way he has his tongue sticking out, looks like a gangsta wannabe. Yuk.

So, Mark, yesterday you said look for Loney to be white-hot in September (funny pun by the way) and today you are ready to unload him along with Martin, one of your faves. Que sera, sera, it’s not up to me.

The problem now is the Dogs get on base, but don’t score.

Kay good point it will be extremely smokey at the stadium tonight.

BTW, I just realized that was Belliard in the picture. I swore it was Carmello Anthony! :)

I’ll bet Carmelo could hit .240.

15. TheMommy says:

Belliard hit .400 last August and is hitting .360 this month.

Mello Belliard will be a veteran extra infielder. He has been there before in October. That is something even Sweet Loretta can’t say. I guess that counts for something. I just don’t like the guy I think he is also taking a roster spot but we will see. I would have liked to see us find another arm or try a Lindblom now to make him eligible for post season play.

Per Doctor’s orders no triples or inside the park HRs today! Would a knuckleball work better or worse in smoky air?

It depends on if it can be thrown for strikes.

O-Dogie is coming back so Abreu can be part of the Gonzalez package. Also why would anyone want to bat Abreu 2nd and Kemp 6th?

Damn it, we missed out on Penny…….. :smile:

21. Kay in L.A. says:

Kay approves of AJ Ellis. He is a lot cuter than Russ Martin… ooh lala.

In case you all didn’t know:

Be sure to join us during the first week of September for Military Appreciation Week when we salute the armed forces:

• August 31st vs. Arizona – Navy Night
    • September 1st vs. Arizona – Air Force Night
    • September 2nd vs. Arizona – Army Night
    • September 3rd vs. Arizona – Marines Night
    • September 4th vs. San Diego – Military Appreciation & Friday Night Fireworks

Any squids here? Tonight is YOUR night.
    ;-)

Eh, Belliard has 84 post All Star at bats and has hit .300 with them. Maybe he can help. He is hitting .000 at Dodger Stadium this year.

Still, what about Abreu?

23. Guest says:

Kay, like Badger says sometimes writers say stuff to create discussion. Case in point, one Mark Timmons who has written over 1,000 posts on the one and only, LA Dodger talk. Sheeze that must be some kind of record or something. Gold watch, silver keyboard??Can’t wait to face Bad Penny. James Loney would look funny in another uniform, number 7 for the Dodgers looks right.

24. Kay in L.A. says:

I once had a crush on a #7 Dodger. Can you guess who?

More news:

Dodgers | Kuroda to throw Tuesday
    Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:43:53 -0700

Dylan Hernandez, of the Los Angeles Times, reports Los Angeles Dodgers SP Hiroki Kuroda (concussion) will pitch for Single-A Inland Empire Tuesday, Sept. 1.

Kay, I’ll guess Steve Yeager.

As for Bad Penny, I bet we have a “incident” with him before the year is up. There are so many bad feelings between him and the Dodgers it isn’t even funny. Heres hoping we crush him next time we meet.

And the loser is Jesus

He was DFA’d by the Dodgers today to make room for Castretta. Jesus Castillo will probably be a NRI next spring unless he continues to slide as he did this year from AAA to AA.

Mota goes on DL for a day. Got to love a creative GM, right.

27. Mark Timmons says:

Dig tonight’s lineup:

1. Martin, C

2. Ethier, RF

3. Manny, LF

4. Kemp, CF

5. Blake, 3B

6. Belliard, 2B

7. Loretta, 1B

8. Castro, SS

9. Wolf, P

28. Mark Timmons says:

Did Ned bring in Belliard so O-Dog could be healthy in the playoffs?

Does O-Dog need rest?

Was fatigue responsible for his last 2 season-ending injuries?

I want to know!

Kay, was it Don Demeter?

Dick Stuart?

Pete Reiser?

George “Moose” Earnshaw?

Lindsay “Don’t Call Me John” Brown?

“Sloppy” Thurston?

What does Belliard have to do with Hudson being healthy?

If he needed rest, why not give the at bats to Abreu? If Abreu gets it done, save the move and the players. If he doesn’t, trade for Belliard.

And this could have been done for the last 7 days to see if it worked.

We have a player here that is a stone cold hitter, waiting to get his opportunity. What else does he need to do at AAA? If I were him, I’d be asking for a chance somewhere else.

Someone, don’t remember who, asked me a while back who, other than Blake, I would rather have at third base. Well, we are about to see one of them tonight. Just take a look at Reynold’s numbers.

Glad to see Kemp protecting the slumping Manny

33. Mark Timmons says:

Is that Ronnie Belliard or Marlon Anderson?

Well shut me up. Belliard can hit a hanging curve ball.

Maybe that’s the book on him. Through a 75 mph cheesepuff thigh high and he swings from his heels and usually doesn’t hit it.

Once again, quiet bats.

Come on guys. This is a team that is going nowhere. Time to turn it on.

36. Guest says:

Is life good or what? The only time Doh pisses me up is when he plays his favorite Mark [Sweeney, Loretta] of the year. Hooray for Hiroki. Keep the faith and pray for Chavez Ravine and the people of LA who are already displaced by the inferno. Peace,:o,see you in September.

Why can’t we hit Doug Davis? He must be a #4 pitcher.

Jim Thome a Dodger?

Jon Garland a Dodger?

40. GoNzO says:

That’s what heyman is saying. Also Dodgers rumored to be close on one of the DBAcks pitchers. FOrgot his name.

Ned has got us some help. Thome and Garland

The Dodgers will Look a Lot Different By The End Of The Day

WOW

43. Buddy says:

They’re a different team now.

“Garland, 29, had a salary of $6.25 million this season with a mutual option at $10 million for next year. If Garland chooses not to exercise the option, is owed $1 million. If the Dodgers, choose not to exercise the option, they will owe him a $2.5 million buyout.” MLB – Arizona

Garland’s next scheduled pitching day is Thursday – Say Goodbye to Haeger

Thome has a full no-trade clause so it is good to know that he wants to come to LA

47. LADODGERDAVE says:

IFFFFFFFFF, we make it to the world series…..

Furcal
    Ethier
    Manny
    Kemp
    Thome
    Blake
    Loney
    Hudson
    Martin

SCARY!!!!!!!!!

48. Buddy says:

Remember, Thome hasn’t played defense in five years.

Interesting. Thome hasn’t played in the field for about 3 years. Does he send Loney to the bench?

Garland ain’t all that, with an ERA well over 4 and a 1.43 WHIP. But, he does eat up innings. I don’t think he is worth what he is getting paid, but, maybe he pitches a little better in Dodger Stadium, and, he is now with a much better team.

50. A Shot of Haeger says:

Thome is going to be the power bat off the bench I presume

Dodgers give up Justin Fuller? A 26 year old class A SS hitting .250 for Jim Thome?

That doesn’t make any sense.

I believe Thome will just hang around getting some at bats, playing an inning here and there. This is a move assuming we are going to the World Series.

Thome is owed approximately $2.5 million of his $13 million 2009 salary.

Thank you Frank for finally spending some Cash

Of course, we are going to have to find a way to beat sub .500 teams to even get to the play-offs.

And, we get the money.

“Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that Dodgers gave up 26-year-old Class A non-prospect Justin Fuller for Thome and cash. In that case, it’s a pure giveaway.”

Again, this makes no sense. Why give Thome away?

55. LADODGERDAVE says:

is anyone as happy as i am that AUGUST is OVER!

SEPTEMBER is a brand new month boys, and starting tomorrow would be a great day to start a little hot run…..maybe thome and garland is what we need to open up september and put a nice win streak together……we’ll see……

56. A Shot of Haeger says:

read a tweet from ladodgerthoughts that the player to be named later in the Garland deal might be Tony Abreu.