After his last start I had relegated him to the scrap heap and if anyone says that they thought Jason Schmidt would pitch 6 innings of 1 hit baseball last night, they are either lying or delusional! But, he did it and I couldn’t be happier – maybe that’s a tear in my eye. If anyone deserves it, it Jason who has worked so hard to get back. Maybe he can build on this and be even better… He didn’t have great control (never has), but he was effectively wild (always was) and make the big pitch when he needed it. Schmidt is a “fly-ball pitcher” (2 ground outs, 13 fly-outs last night), so he probably is subject to the long ball at times, but the guy is a pitcher and his understanding of how to set up hitters is what is making him effective. I remember what a fireballer Schmidt once was – tall, imposing, scowling and fearless. Now, he’s like a 3-legged dog who is just happy to be walking again! I admire him very much for his courage and determination. Bring on his next start. He has earned it. Will it last? Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times has this quote by Jason:
“Very surprising. I hate to say that because it doesn’t sound good. But it’s been a roller coaster from day one, from start to start. I’m enjoying it while it lasts. It might not be forever.”
Enjoy it while you can. Hernandez also quoted Russ Martin as saying: “He’s pitching like he wants to win. It’s not looking like he’s pitching not to get hurt.”
Rants & Raves
- Speaking of earning it, Andre Ethier’s3-run blast left the yard in record time last night. That thing was a “scalded dog.” Andre is becoming a force to be reckened with.
- Matt Kemp has more RBI’s in extra innings athan any other MLB player. He needs to hit 3-4 or 5.
- Baseball is certainly a game of streaks. A week ago, Casey Blake couldn’t buy a hit, now they can’t get him out.
- George Cheryl, ‘er Sherrill make a nice statement last night.
- James McDonald and a guy to be on our roster soon (Josh Lindblom) will play important roles in our pen.
- I believe we have the strongest and deepest pen in baseball.
- Too bad that Eric Stults is the odd-man out right now. Hopefully the Dodgers will get him a new home next year. He can be someone’s #5.
- For the record, I do not believe the Dodgers tried to trade Russ Martin AND James Loney – maybe Loney, but not Martin. Not that they wouldn’t ever trade him, but now’s not the time and AJ Ellis is no more than a backup. Consider this. in 200+ AB’s this year at Albq (where the ball flies) he has 6 – I SAID 6! Extra Base Hits and ZERO HR. He’s a .300 singles hitter at AAA, which means he’s a .210 (or below) hitter at the Major league Level.
- Corey Wade pitched one scoreless inning at AAA last night.
- Doug M. had a double (.333) at ALBQ (I can’t spell Meintkieweicz and Albuquerque in the same sentence).
- Hu is hitting .272!
- Dee Gordon is now hitting .312 at Great Lakes.
- Ned said that Josh Bell is a good prospect, but that we have depth at 3B with Blake, Baez and DeWitt. He also said that due to the economy, he expects more waiver deals this year, and that if you put in a claim on a player, you’d better be willing to take him because he thinks teams will be dumping payroll.