Not My Whipping Boy Anymore

Not My Whipping Boy Anymore

One of my favorite sayings is “Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life.”  A classic case in point to that is Andre Ethier.  He used to look tight, nervous and scared when he walked to the plate in pressure situations.  By Joe Torre’s and his own admission, Andre was his own worst enemy because of “stinkin’ thinkin.’”  Andre has somehow moved past that.  Call it maturity, call it understanding – a willingness to grow.  As Bob  Seger put it in the song “Understanding“:

It seems like only yesterday
I didn’t have a clue                                                                                                                                       55513781
I stood alone not knowing where to turn
Now suddenly I look around
And everything looks new
I don’t know why but I think I’m starting to learn

They call it understanding
Understanding
A willingness to grow
I’m finally understanding
Understanding
There’s so much I could know

Until the day you came along
I used to just get lost
I only heard the things I wanted to hear
It always seemed like no cared
Then you took the time
And now I look and everything seems clear

You’ve got me understanding
Understanding
You’ve really helped me see
I’m finally understanding
Understanding
It’s meant so much to me
You’ve got me understanding
Understanding

You’ve given me some pride
I’m finally understanding
You’re really on my side
Really on my side
Got me understanding
Understanding

Andre Ethier is not Mr. Softee anymore.  He has lost that “deer-in-the-headlights” look.  He is now the confident vet.  He’s sure, solid and prepared.  If he fails he’s ready to try it again, and I think that is the biggest difference:  He don’t let a bad at-bat eat him up like it used to.  In the next couple of years, we could see Andre Ethier hit 40 HR as he gets stronger – and he will get stronger.  I am extremely happy for Andre.  With Matt and Andre in our lineup, we could be dominant for years to come.  Andre has went from being one of the “least clutch” players to one of the “best clutch” players.  What a turnaround and with each passing day he gets more confident.  He changed his thinking!

Know this:  The Dodgers have the best record in baseball, because they never quit.  They are never beat until the last out and they have won more games in their last at bat than any other team.  This is a team of warriors who never say die!  That mentality will take them far!   GET R DUN!

• Interesting piece in Baseball Prospectus on James Loney and whether he will ever be “all that.”
  • Eric Stults effectively threw a 3 inning bullpen session last night and could pitch in Schmidt’s spot, should Joe Torre decide to use him.
  • Has anyone see Jeff Weaver.  Is he just a “last recourse?”
  • According to David Ely of Mlb.com reported that  yesterday the Dodgers held a team meeting, in which attendance was mandatory.  “I just had something I needed to say. It really didn’t have to do with the way we’re playing,” Torre said after the fact.  Torre would not say the reason for the meeting, or if it had anything to do with the incident where Milwaukee’s Prince Fielder attempted to barge into the Dodgers’ clubhouse Tuesday night after he was hit by a Guillermo Mota fastball in the ninth inning of a 17-4 Dodgers’ win. “If I wanted you to be in on this, I would have invited you into it,” Torre told inquiring reporters. Torre said that when it comes to meetings of this nature, he doesn’t go into them with a detailed plan. “I don’t make a plan,” he said. “When I feel I have to say something, at my age I want to make sure I say it before I forget about it. “… A lot of it’s for me. If I feel I want to say something, I’ll say it — get it off my chest. Even if it wasn’t necessary to have [a meeting], I feel better about doing it.”
  • Don’t look now but Raffy is closing in on .270.  The SB is no longer a part or his game however…
  • Billingsley and Jurgens again tonight.  Should be another good game.

74 Responses to “Not My Whipping Boy Anymore”

1. Matt says:

Mark,

Was at Yankee Stadium last night, wore my #55 Martin shirt, met a couple Dodgers fans from LA, that was cool. Got back to the hotel followed game online and they cheered wildly when I saw on gameday that Ethier hit one out. Awesome!!
    Take care,
    Matt

2. Blue Haze says:

Welcome aboard, Mark.

Any Destiny’s Dodgers talk forthcoming?

3. mark says:

Was there ever any question?

Ethier hasn’t changed that much. He has been a good hitter for a long time. All you ever had to do was check his stats, which were posted here repeatedly. He is a .293 career hitter with his best years still in front of him.

Interesting take on Loney. I am not willing to buy into dumping him just yet. He may need some strength training to get his hands back to pre-injury level. As long as he is eager to improve, IMO he has too much natural talent to give up on him. Having said that, Gonzalez in blue would be interesting, though I am not sure about sending Martin to a divisional rival.

I believe home field is paramount against the Phillies and Cards. Will we keep the best record in the league? Phillies and Cards closing the odds.

5. mark says:

Andre has been a good hitter who disappeatred in the clutch. He has never did what he is now doing… and I think he will continue to get better.

Even though Russ Martin is having a bad year, his OB% is nearly .380 and he’s a good baserunner. I’d hit him #2, put Ethier at #3, Manny at #4, Loney #5 and Kemp #6, followed by Blake and Hudson…

but that’s just me.

I wonder if Kemp would benefit by hitting 3rd? Furcal, Ethier, Kemp, Manny, Loney, Blake, Hudson and Martin. Martin looked like his eyes were pulled off the ball and he was looking up in the air on one punch out last night. I don’t think I’d hit him 2nd anytime soon. I’d put Hudson back there first. But I’m just a fan who knows.

Is Ethier’s clutch hitting stats getting any better or is he still dead last in the league? Hopefully someone can bring us up to date with that little tidbit of info.

I am hoping that last nights game will turn the offense back around. They are stranding way too many runners over the past week or so.
    Go Blue

• jsimonn says:

hi bill!-this is jsimonn-(from dodgerdugout fame).i think that torre wants his best hitter-(manny) hitting 3rd but its not a crazy idea-is 0304 off the ledge by the way?-go dodgers09!

7. mark says:

Rumor has it that the Dodgers are listening to me and calling up Tony Abreu today!

Who goes?

Schmidt?

Weaver?

Loretta?

Castro?

Oh so it is ok to post some songs here?

The whole 40 man roster thing, and who still has options, is going to get really interesting real soon. NED get to work. (Abreu, Stults, etc.)

Loney just needs different colored contact lenses that are complmentary to the unigue background color of each ball park. He obviously needs a new color for the set he wears in Dodger Stadium.

I never thought Cox was that good of a coach. He should have walked Andre to pitch to Manny.

If the Dodgers did not win last night the Yankees would have the best reecord in baseball and Torre would have lost it and his Big Ego Tea endorsement. (Maybe the real resaon for the team meeting?)

In my opinion Weaver has done a great job for the Dodgers this year. His versatility has been priceless. However the versatility has lead to a decrease in performance and now he can not start and should not be allowed to pitch to a lineup the second time.

I am looking for Stults to relieve in the 3rd inning on Monday.

Mark

Hire William Gomez to replace Tony Jackson

“He has never did what he is now doing…”

Well, maybe not the walk-offs, but as his stats clearly show, he has done just fine with runners on base. Before this year he was hitting .304 WRISP. This year, .242 – overall .290. And as I have been saying for 2 years now, he is one of our best hitters and he has his best years coming up. When you and others were saying he was “soft” some of us were saying just wait until the year is up before giving him a grade. Like many great hitters, he is streaky, but when he is on, he is very good. And he was finally moved into the 2 hole where I would have had him all year.

I think Kemp will eventually be a 3 or 4 hitter but probably not as long as Manny is here. Manny wants to hit 3rd, and whatever Manny wants Manny gets. Got to keep the big dog happy. I think I would still sandwich Loney between Manny and Kemp. I know Loney hasn’t looked good this year, but I still believe in him.

The only problem with Loney or Blake in front of Kemp is that we’re blocking Kemps speed on the bases. It’s station to station base running which as been an issue lately. But I guess it really doesn’t matter if they are all hitting.

12. T says:

40 HR power for Ethier? I don’t think so. He’ll top out at in the low 30′s. I’m not complaining though. I’d take .290-25 out of Ethier in a second. His power has really developed this year.

Jeff Weaver has been better than most thought he might be. I don’t understand the hate for Weaver. It’s not like he was signed to a big contract. The dude has a 4 ERA and is our long reliever. What else can you expect from our long reliever? I think he’d be a better option over Jason Schmidt in the rotation. He might get rocked but Schmidt will get rocked.

13. lawdog says:

This should be the lineup the rest of the way:

Furcal

Ethier

Manny

Kemp

Loney

Blake

Hudson

Martin

Bring up Abreu and cut Schmidt lose. Elbert should get a shot at the #5 spot. His stuff is almost as good as Kurveshaw’s, just like McDonald. But as another lefty with 3 excellent pitches, he’d be worth a looksee at the #5 slot.

14. lawdog says:

Tell Schmidt to give us a call if he ever gets his fatball up into the 93-94 mph range and we might give him another looksee.

Schmidt should be the one to go. He worked hard to get back but his time has come and gone.

How the Dodgers treat Schimdt has a big affect upon who the next diamond in the rough is that signs with the Dodgers. They treated Park great, Vargas was treated great, Milton was treated great, Estes was treated appropriately. If the Dodgers want to sign another major Rehab Project in the off season they will keep Schimdt as a long reliever and send 1-2 young pitchers with options to AAA to get stretched out in preperation for becoming the back up 5th starter should Stults fail.

17. Blue Haze says:

Badger, many have been trying to point out the good Ethier stats and observations for a long, long time, but when someone has there mind made up, there just isn’t any point in enlightening them (I for one immediately was on the bandwagon when he first came here from the A’s, and said so often). I will repeat, Ethier is not only a good player, he is an All-Star caliber player. He has major upside and he is only just starting to actually figure himself out. Watch out, this guy should be a top player for a long time.

Ahhh, the only thing to make this place better would be much more poetry (I think I just spit up in my mouth).

I love that you have come out of the darkness into the light Mark. But somehow I doubt we have seen the last of the softee label!

My Billingsley prediction is forthcoming. I am researching and calling around to gather evidence. For the record I have called each one of his lasst few starts correctly.

19. mark says:

Romo,

YOU DIDN’T CALL HIS LAST START.

20. lawdog says:

I disagree with Ken. It is foolishness to keep garbage on the staff, particularly when you’ve paid him as much as we have over the last 3 years, to lure more garbage next year. You can’t waste a spot on the active roster like that.

Schmidt can’t pitch his way out of a paperbag. When we need a mop up guy, we’ve got more than enough youngsters who need the experience and can keep us close. This team has demonstrated thnat it can come back from large deficits in the last two innings, so there’s no need to keep a geezer who can’t pitch on the staff to make sure we lose those games in which we trail big time instead of staying close to striking distance.

Anyone who might be a hidden gem on the garbage pool will still see that we gave the others a chance. Anyone who expects a major league contract when they can’t throw a fastball over 84 mph and really have marginal other stuff is not being realistic.

If we want to win it all, we can’t waste spots on the roster just to make a geezer “feel good.” If you were talking about Oral or Koufax–someone who gave us their heart and soul to us over the years it might be different. But Schmidt just took a lot of jack and didn’t give us squat! If he had any class he’d retire and not take the reminder of his unearned con tract–but he won’t. Count on it!

There is no room in baseball for sentimentality. And Schmidt is no one to get sentimental about. His contract crippled us for 3 years. He should have retired after the first year.

21. lawdog says:

If we cut Orel before the year ended, why in the world should we keep the bloodsucking Schmidt?

22. mark says:

Well, Ken is right that baseball players look at how other teams have treated vets and that can factor into their decision. How we treat Schmidt could affect what a free agent might do in the future.

Schmidt hits 88 to 89 with his fastball and obviously knows how to pitch, but doesn’t have great control. You can see that he is respected by his peers for his work ethic. It’s a hard call..

I’d try and trade Weaver to someone who needs a starter and keep Schmidt right now. Somebody would take Weaver in a “Vargas deal”

23. mark says:

You can say “I told you so” about Ethier, but the facts show that Andre has never did what he is doing now, although he has always been capable. Andre Ethier is so much more than he used to be.

24. mark says:

Could Ben Sheets be the next rehab project?

Could Milton be back next year?

I see your point about Loney/Kemp Bill. Loney doesn’t exactly stretch out hits does he. But, 65% of the time he ain’t even out there.

More poetry Haze. Have at it.

true story:

The National Poetry Contest had come down to semi-finals between a Yale graduate and a redneck from Wyoming. They were both given a word, then allowed two minutes to study the word and come up with a poem that contained the word. The word they were given was “Timbuktu”

First to recite his poem was the Yale graduate. He confidently stepped to the microphone and said:

“Slowly across the desert sand
    Trekked a lonely caravan
    Men on camels, two by two
    Destination: Timbuktu.”

The crowd went crazy. No way could the redneck top this, they thought.

The redneck, with sweat rolled down his face, made his way to the microphone and said:

“A friend and I a hunting went,
    We spied three maidens in a tent,
    They being three, we being two,
    I bucked one and Tim bucked two.”

The redneck went to the finals.

26. SpokaneBob says:

Totally agree Lawdog…….

And Ken,

I get that you don’t like the way Torre handles the pen….But it seems that you really hate the guy. Whats up with that. Compared to many of the Managers we have had since Tommy, Torre is IMHO the best.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Andre Ethier is so much more than he used to be…….

Yeah, I suppose so. But, he was never soft.

I mostly like what Torres does. I wish he would get kicked out once in a while and I think he’s miles above Davey Johnson, Bill Russell, Grady Little and Dick Tracy. I’m sure I missed a few guys between the Lasorda era and Now but everyone has their own opinion. I understand that he over works the pen but if he has pitchers in AAA that he can rotate back and forth, why not. I don’t think that the Dodgers will get a bad rap for releasing Schmidt. Now’s not the time to send Elbert down in his favor to save face for future rehab canidates. Schmidt was treated very well with his $47 million dollar salary over three rehabbing years with the team. I am just hoping that they make the smart decisions with the roster.

29. lawdog says:

Schmidt hasn’t hit 88 or 89 in the games he’s pitched for us lately. He might have hit 85 or even 86 with pitches he threw in the dirt or way off the plate, but I watched all his games carefully. He was consistently at 84 mph and just a little drop for “movement”. His other breaking/off speed stuff is strictly Texas league quality. I think it likely that any potential “reclamation” project will see how toasty Schmidt has been and how well we’ve treated others. I can’t believe you guys would want to waste a spot on the active roster just so we don’t alienate a future reclamation project who doesn’t have squat! If the potential future Dodger doesn’t have stuff any better than Jason’s, he’s garbage and we don’t need to waste time on him. If they have better stuff than that they will pay no attention to the fact we didn’t leave him on the roster and hurt the team by so doing going into the stretch. Most of those old bastards want to win, not get a charity check because, by gosh, we like them.

30. lawdog says:

Agree with Billy and Spokane Bob.

Mark, OK I didn’t predict the last Billingsley outing..err wuss job…err what injury outing. But I have been on the mark the last 3 or 4 before it. Can a brother get a little credit? I love jerking your chain with this because I can.

Tonight Bills will have a rough beginning then settle in. He will have a solid 6 innings and get a no decision. We will beat the ATL’s bullpen again. Bills will have around 8 Ks and 4-5 walks.

I think we owe it to Schmidt to not DFA him. We can shut him down or send him to the pen but as hard as he has worked and as close as we are to the rosters expanding we can keep him around a few more weeks with out needing the roster spot. We just can’t let him start again. Sorry Jason.

Alex Rios from the Blue Jays was just claimed on waivers by someone. There is no word as to who claimed him but I know the Giants were interested. If they in fact land him and drop him in the lineup they look even better. Damn that team worries me.

It is going to be extremely tough for us to land anyone via the waiver wire because we have the best record in MLB. We would get last pick and everyone can block us. Don’t look for much help here!

33. mark says:

In Schmidt’s last start, he had over a dozen pitches at 88, 5 or 6 at 89 and 2 at 90.

Say what you want, but that is what Gameday says and that’s what I go by.

34. BRuss says:

Giambi and Smoltz were released today. Do you guys think players won’t sign with the A’s or the Red Sox now? Show Jason the door, let him set out the balls for batting practice. Stick a fork in him. He’s done…..

… or in Mr. Know-it-Alls case, a spelling lesson.

36. BRuss says:

Will the Dodgers take a chance on Giambi as a bat off the bench?

37. BRuss says:

If spelling is required Michael, I will have to retire from LA Dodger Talk. I am hearing voices “If you build it he will come” I hope that’s not Jason Giambi the corn is talking about.

They are talking about Alex Rios on MLB Network right now and they are saying he don’t make it through the American League, so the Giants aren’t the claiming team. I guess you go through the same League first before going through the NL teams on the wavier list. Something new I learned today.

“send 1-2 young pitchers with options to AAA to get stretched out in preperation for becoming the back up 5th starter should Stults fail.”

Appearantly time for another reading lesson

39. Blackndgold77 says:

Ello governer!!!!! Wud u like a cup of tea

40. BRuss says:

Hawk, is that you?

41. Kevin says:

Why does everyone want Hudson hitting down in the order? Don’t get it he’s as speedy switch hitter who was born to hit in the 2 hole.

Furcal
    Hudson
    Ethier
    Manny
    Loney
    Kemp
    Blake
    Martin

42. lawdog says:

If that’s what Gameday says about Schmidt’s fastball, they must have been using a different gun than the one used for the Dodger Broadcast. I watched ever pitch and it’s reading to specifically see what he could and couldn’t do with the fastball. He NEVER hit 90. He might have hit 86 or 87 once or twice but way out of the zone. If it was more than 84 he couldn’t control it. And he didn’t throw it over 84 or 85 the whole game–except for the rare one which was either in the dirt or a yard outside.

I don’t doubt that if Schmidt reared back and just let it loose he could probably hit 88 or 89–but he’d need a target as big as the broad side of a barn. He’d have no control over where it would be going.

In any event, I think we all agree he’s toast. Does anyone besides Ken and Mover think we should keep a piece of crap like that on the active roster for sentimental reasons and to attract more crap from the garbage heap next year? Sounds like a good way to lose the wild west to me. There is no room for sentimentality in this game!

43. BRuss says:

I like Hudson hitting almost any where in the lineup. He’s a ball player. I also hope we resign him for next year. Just put Abreu out there for a few weeks and we will all miss Hudsons defensive plays. Hudson saves many many runs per week and I think we are beginning to over look that part of his game. I don’t care if he hungs everyone or not. I want him on my team.

88 is fine if you have some serious sink, a change up and are hitting the corners. If you consistently put that over the heart of the plate it’s coming back at 100+.

Torre has gone to the pen because his starters have 100 pitches after 5 innings. I am sure he would leave a guy in for a complete game if he could.

So far the pen has held up better than I thought it would. August is the month that will tell if Joe wore ‘em out.

I would try Kevin’s lineup if Manny would agree to hitting clean-up. I just don’t think that is where he wants to be. He wants up in the first inning and I don’t blame him. If we had 3 (or even 2) .400 OBP guys in front of him, we could do it. We do not. And, I still like Ethier at 2. Hudson was great there when he was hitting .350. Those days are over. I also am ok with ldawg’s lineup as long as Kemp keeps his head being moved to clean-up. I can see him changing his approach and trying to go Babe Ruth from that spot.

I would try Schmidt as a long reliever before releasing him. We are paying him, might as well see if we can get 2-3 middle innings, or 1 late inning out of him.

We don’t need Smoltz (we already got him) and Giambi is done.

I found this interesting.

I know this isn’t what you all are talking about but on ESPN radio they just compared Andre Ethier to Robert Horry. They said he “isn’t an all star but is someone you want to be up/with the ball in clutch situations.” I thought that was interesting. Maybe when all is said and done Andre will have as many rings too!

As for Schmidt: You guys are getting caught up in velocity, and I think you should just let the hitters tell you how he is doing. The dude is getting crushed. Sure he looked good against ATL once. But what is the point now? Do we need to tax our bullpen every 5th day? He will not go more than 5, we need a stand by starter when he goes to the mound, why are we wasting a roster spot? Our bullpen is the best thing we have going right now. Lets not waste it because we want to be nice to JS on his way out the door. Start Stults! Sit Schmidt!

47. mark says:

Tony Abreu is on the field.

No subsequent move has been announced … yet!

If you think that you can read and interpret everyone’s post then you are confessing to frequent baiting. If you do not completely understand what the meaning of a post is, then ask questions, do not attack. If you do not know how to interpret a post then read this book – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book

48. lawdog says:

Amen Dromo. And Badge, I’ll agree 88 with great late movement is all you need. How about 84-85 with barely a little sink? To go with Texas League curve and change? That’s what Schmidt has got. It’s not like we don’t have other good young arms on the farm. We need a real pitcher in the #5 slot–not a has been who hasn’t been for 3 years and is now approaching 37 years old.

Cut Schmidt loose. Bring up Stultz or Haeger.

49. mark says:

The same Gameday (which is MLB sanctioned) had Schmidt at just what I reported. Broxton was at 97-99. Hoffman topped out at 85! 85!

Braden Looper topped out at 92.

James McDoanld was 92-93.

That all sounds like their gun was slow, not fast.

If you were watching the TV feed, now that is frequently not accurate. I would believe Gameday before I would believe the TV. If you saw the guys for Gameday in the pressbox, you would understand.

50. mark says:

Since I have Gameday on every game. I see every pitch, along with movement.

Schmidt is rusty.

He’s not the 98 MPH model, but I have no reason to believe that he didn’t hit 90 twice like Gameday said. Why would their MPH on Schmidt be fast and slow on everyone else?

51. mark says:

I think ESPN Radio has it wrong, like they typically do. Andre Ethier is becoming a star!

52. mark says:

I am on the fence about Schmidt. I will therefore defer to Dodger brass…

53. mark says:

My sources say Schmidt is going on the DL agin.

Any near term roster moves should be for the purpose of improving the team in August, September and October, and not just to win as many games as possible but to also rest some of the players and to prepare certain players to be ready in case any player is injured.

I agree that Haeger should receive a change but not until September. He is really bad at altitude and very very good everywhere else. His terrible MLB stats mean nothing because of their small sample size.

I hope that Troncoso is given the next shot at being a Dodger starter in 2010. He might be the next great sinkerball type pitcher.

BH

Yea, I know some of your pseudonyms and apparently so do a few others like BRuss

55. Mark Timmons says:

I don’t know if Jason Schmidt fell on his sword or if he was asked to go on the DL, but he did and of course Tony Abreu replaced him on the roster.

Also, Scott Elbert will take his place in the rotation. Neat!

That is great news, Mark plus Elbert to start. It just keeps getting better all the time. Is there anything better than a Dodgers/Yankees World Series?

I would think Ausmus could catch anybody, but if the worry is our guys can’t handle Haeger then bring up Closser or Ellis with him when the call ups happen.

Schmidt just went on the DL.

58. Mark Timmons says:

Ellis will come up at the same time as Haeger – September 1st!

59. Mark Timmons says:

Haeger is a feel-good story, but no one regards him as a prospect.

Of course, sometimes they are wrong…

Not often, however!

Haeger went 4 innings tonight, giving up 1 run. He only threw 61 pitches, 41 for strikes. I wonder why he left the game?

Hu is looking good again. Better than Castro? Perhaps. DeWitt and Maza with dingers.

Haeger is on pace to pich more innings than last year. At the minimum the Dodgers should save him for September.

Hopefully Billingsley’s severe excessive sweating and tiring after 100 minutes is not diabetes.

James is lost. He’s thinking too much. See the ball, hit the ball. Just my own exaggerated opinion.

Time to play Abreu at 3rd and Blake at 1st. Every Dodger has improved with a few days off.

Its Time for Dodger Manager to break Kuo’s arm.

Crap!!

Well this is a brilliant move. Bills goes down and you bring in Kuo to rush through his warm ups? Sure he has all the time he needs but wouldn’t you rather go with someone that isn’t prone to get hurt?

More On Torre

The Los Angeles City Council passed an ordinance this morning that says “No pitcher named Sherill may pitch in the 7th inning even if all of the batters are left handed”

Belisario is in the dugout. Activate him tommorrow and put Bills on the DL. Felony Stupid Coaching

Torre should be the whipping boy every day

Gee there are 5 relievers who did not pitch yesterday and I have 3 innings to go. There are 3 relief pitchers that pitched last night. I should choose the relief pitcher that pitched the most innings last night, who just came off of the DL, and has had 4 elbow surgeries.

I will use my special motivational skills to motivate him into a Zen of superreality and he will be ok. Afterward I will give him some of my Big Ego Tea.

Later on camera his lips can be read saying “I f….d up”

68. lawdog says:

Pitching Kuo two days in a row is felony stupid! Torre’s lucky his arm didn’t fly off with one of those fastballs and reach home plate before the pitch arrived.

There’s dumb, dumber, and Joe Torre managing the pen!

69. Buddy says:

Why in the world is Hudson sacrificing? He’s too good of a hitter. Relying on Pierre to drive in a run is very folly.

70. Buddy says:

Agree with Lawdog,
    Kuo is one pitch away from having his shoulder separated from his body.

71. Buddy says:

Case in point. Hudson should always be forced to hit rather than rely on Pierre and Furcal.

The moron that ran onto the field in the top of the 9th cost the Dodgers this game, and Billingsley a victory. The delay is probably what threw Broxton’s rhythm off and led to the walk of McClouth.

And yes, bringing Kuo into the game was “felony stupid”. He’s the last guy I would bring in in an injury situation, especially after he pitched the night before. Guaranteed that he wasn’t properly warmed up when he said he was.

I also agree that Hudson should NOT have been bunting.

Since Elbert pitched tonight, who pitches on Sunday? Weaver? Do they send down Abreu and call up Stults? Haeger? The possibilities are endless.

I don’t see last night’s loss as Torre’s fault. He lost his starter early. Bad break but still the team went into the 9th with the lead. We got a huge break from a strange umpire call, cashed in on it then couldn’t hold the lead.

Broxton ain’t right. The beast has become vulnerable.

Why not Kuo? He is a relief pitcher, that is what he does. He threw 17 pitches the night before. Big deal. I could throw 17 pitches and come in the next day to get a couple of outs. Elbert threw 13 pitches two days before a scheduled start. Again, so what?

As is most games, the players lost this one.