Listen Up, People!

Listen Up, People!

I used to post at the old LA Times DodgerTalk Board (I was MountainMover), which then evolved to World Crossing (which was a horrible format in my opinion, and now has about 6 milano-baseballpeople who post there).  The old LA Times board was great, but the Times screwed it up and people from there migrated all over the blogosphere.    Times change.  People change, blogs change.  I started this blog because when I posted at World Crossing, it became a forum for everything but the Dodgers.   People talked religion and politics and argued and raged and it tore the site apart.  Most people left (only a handful remain).  Over the past few weeks, I have seen a few exchanges between posters on this site that I have not liked and I won’t allow it.   We are getting more and more readers – nearly a 1,000 a day, and I want this to be a fun and safe place to post and read about the Dodgers.  Not everyone posts, but when they do, I want them to be fine with it.  By the way, if you are reading today, just drop a line and let me know you are reading…

So, I am going to discuss a few things which I think will help:

1. When you post something, don’t automatically say something that can be easily proven demonstrably false.  For instance, don’t say “”, when the stats will show he’s hitting .435 in July.  (This is just a fictitious example).  This opens you up for ridicule and someone will say “what are you talking about?  Kemp is hitting .435 over the past month.”   Maybe it seems that way to you, so you could say “Is it just me or is Kemp not hitting since the break?“  This lessens your exposure.  As Jim Rome says “Have a take and don’t suck!”  We all have favorite players and that’s OK, but if you slam James Loney (for example), realize that’s someone’s favorite player.
  2. When someone says something that you think is obviously wrong, maybe you should ask for classification.  “What do you mean by that?”  Don’t just try and tear them apart.  However, if you decide to agrue a point, make your point but don’t make it personal (“that’s a stupid comment” would be a bad thing to say).
  3. Realize that people can have dramatically different viewpoints from yours and RESPECT it.   Respect will go a long way…
  4. No politics, no religion and no baiting – if you need this explained, well… never-mind!  There are lots of other places to do that.
  5. You can share experiences, but if you went to a Sean Hannity rally last night, I don’t want to hear it and neither do most others.  Polorizing comments like that won’t work.
  6. This is a Dodger blog, but if you are a Rams, Colts, Dolphins, Lakers, Rockies fan (no Giants) you might want to post about something about your team, and that’s OK!
  7. This is a community and I want to see respect and intelligence, not bickering, baiting and arguing.
  8. We can disagree without being disagreeable!  Feel free to  argue – just play nice!  And, don’t beat a dead horse!
  9. Avoid “sweeping” statements – they seldom are right and work even less.
  10. Respect your Dodger Brothers and Sisters – we are family!

If you all play nice, I’ll have Alyssia Milano post here someday!

Last Night’s Game

• I suggested that we might consider Russ Martin at the tip of the lineup – Joe moved him to #2.
  • I suggested that Manny move to #4 – Joe did!
  • While I’ve got Joe’s attention, is there anything else you want to see?  (KIDDING)
  • How clutch is Kemp?
  • I thought it was silly to have Martin bunting last night!
  • Is Broxton’s toe the problem or is it between the ears?
  • We need Kuroda to pitch like that.
  • Did you think Tony Abreu would sulk after being sent back down?  Never fear!  In his first game since a two-day stint with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Tony Abreu wasted no time contributing for the Albuquerque Isotopes, mashing a two-out grand slam in the sixth and driving in five to lead the ‘Topes to an 8-6 victory.  WOW!
  • I talked to Tony Jackson last night – he’s still unemployed and still roots for the Dodgers.
  • Orlando Hudson is out at least one game with a groin strain…

56 Responses to “Listen Up, People!”

1. Knickerbocker Dave says:

i’m reading.

2. Knickerbocker Dave says:

i dont know what she’ll say, but i’ll mention it to her.

Alyssa Milano Says She’s Done Dating Athletes – Alyssa Milano …Oct 2, 2007 … The lifelong baseball fan says she’s ready to “find a good plumber.”

you just cant make this stuff up!

Alyssa is engaged now to a non-athlete. I hear he sells water purifier systems? Or maybe not.

Is anyone else certain we will not bring O-Dog back next year. I love the guy, he is a great defender, a plus hitter, and all around good dude but you can’t have a guy this fragile and depend on him. If he accepts another incentive type deal it is one thing but geez… I hope Abreu didn’t unpack.

Mark you are right about Martin bunting last night…pathetic. I don’t blame Torre here I blame Martin mostly and the farm system. I guess it is a generational thing. Players these days can not bunt. Unless you are a slappy guy who will drag bunt they don’t even work on it coming up through the system. Look at a guy like Ausmus who came up in another system but more importantly in a different era (practically) he can lay one down. I remember seeing Mark McGuirre take BP and believe it or not the dude could lay a beautiful bunt down. They used to all do it. Now they just hack in BP. Things have sure changed, don’t get me started on taking infield….

Nice win last night, we needed it badly!! Peace guys

4. Matt says:

Im here and reading.

Dodgers, Rams, Clemson fan….

Martin was moved to the two hole probably because we were facing a tough lh pitcher. He was 1 for 5. Methinks he will go back down. Ethier was hitting .344 from the 2 hole. Manny can hit from any spot in the order. It’s not like the lineup change caused an offensive outbursts. We scored 4. We won last night with good pitching.

Broxton needs an off speed pitch. Everything he throws is 96 mph and hitters are waiting for it. Throw a straight change at 86 and those guys will be out if front of it.

Hudson with another owie. I agree. It will be time for Abreu to step in soon.

Broxton to miss his start. Weaver vs. Lincecum on Wednesday. Who you got?

6. Blue Haze says:

Oh that was sweet last night. To be in the park, tell everyone to watch out (I was with a bunch of friends who happen to be Giants fans) for Kemp with the bases loaded and then watch him deliver, beautiful!

As far as safety in the park, in reality there is almost as much Dodger blue hats and jerseys in the park as there are Giants gear. Maybe 35 to 40% of the crowd in blue.

Giant Dogs suck hard, Go Dodger Dogs (any day).

Wow, the umpire at first was atrocious last night. Is it me or has the umpiring just gone into the toilet this year? I think I have seen more bad calls this year than any previous year that I can remember. Inconsistent strike zone is the rule of the day anymore.

I did my job, represented, drank beer and didn’t get into any brawls with Giants’ fans, avoided being barfed on by drunk fans (there was a hell of a lot of barf on the move throughout the evening) watched a Dodger victory. Not a bad evening. That’s the story from your on-site reporter.

7. Harold says:

In the final game of the 1955 World Series both Duke and Campy laid down bunts that lead to the second run being scored. Campy also had a successful bunt in an earlier game. No excuse in the world for not being able to bunt. It is a lot easier than hitting a home run.
    Joe doesn’t seem to be a big fan of bunting runners over and I am not sure if we do much with hit and run.

GO DODGERS!!

If Torre continues to put Martin in the 2 hole, he must learn to bunt. Like Badger said, I think it might just be for one game. I hope Joe leaves Manny hitting 4th, I like him there better. Glad to see Mark posting the rules. Duh!

Keep up the good work……………………

Edit! Of course it is Bills missing his start.

Everyone should be able to bunt, no excuses. And there is the school of thought that says sacrifice bunts are a waste of an out. I think pitchers should do it, otherwise I would rather hit and run. And we have the guys who can do that.

Things must be better at PacBellSBCVerizonAT&TMobile Park Haze. Most of what I witnessed was down at the Stick – horrible place to see a ball game. I think people there were just pissed off at having to sit in that place and took it out on opposing fans. People at the new park seem more civil. And, of course there are always a lot of Dodger fans at those games. And yes, umpiring is being exposed as being mediocre. It ain’t an easy gig, and mistakes will be made, but it is their attitude that bugs me. Not one of the paying fan base comes to the park to see an umpire. Hold your water and make the calls boys. No need to go all PMS when you are caught with your pants down. And, with all the replays we get, we are getting a lot more of that.

So this guy buys a new car and it has a radio that changes channels on voice command. He is driving down the road and says “classical” and the radio turns to a classical station. Then he says “rock and roll” and the radio automatically turns to a rock station. Then suddenly somebody pulls out in front of him and almost causes a collision and the guy screams “IDIOT!” and the radio switches to Rush Limbaugh.

Was that inappropriate? Sorry mover. I thought it was funny.

11. I Miss The 51's says:

I’m reading. I was at the game last night! It was a nice win and a clutch hit by Kemp. I’ll be at the next two as well

12. BleedingtheBLUE says:

Hi I read everyday!!! Never posted however, but just wanted you to know that I do check in for news, updates and opinions every morning. Great site! Keep up the good work. Been bleeding the Blue for a long time and try to get to at least one game in each homestand. GO DODGERS!!

13. Mark Timmons says:

It’s good to see new Blue Blood here.

Haze,

I was afraid the Giant fans might have had you drawn & quartered…

14. T says:

Why didn’t you like Martin bunting? He needs to learn how to bunt. I’m baffled by how awful he is at bunting. It’s not like he’s a Pujols or Manny who never needed to learn the skill of bunting. He tried to sacrifice earlier in the year and he was just as bad. A Major Leaguer like Martin should know how to bunt. Plain and simple

15. SpokaneBob says:

I liked Tim bucked two better. :)

I thought having Martin bunt was the logical move. Joe was just trying to get one more run and eliminate the double play. I can understand it when a pitcher has some trouble getting a bunt down aginst a tough pitcher, but there is no excuse for a hitter (especially a catcher) not being able to bunt.

Martin bunting was the right call. Martin not being able to is horrible.

Can I get something off my chest? I throw up a little every time I see Romo pitch for the Giants!

17. Slo Dawg says:

Mark….I check in 3 or 4 times a day but seldom post. I will say it again this is the best Dodger site there is. I’m just an “old relief pitcher who has lost 5 mph on my fast ball”!!!

18. Blue Haze says:

Nah, no worries MM, I used to live in SF, the key to survival is to always look a little pissed off. You may be happy on the inside, but when you are in The City, you have to give the impression that have a real edge about you. Works every time.

Now you finding a few giants fans with “beat LA” beer cups shoved up their ass, may be a more likely discovery (okay not with this bad back of mine will that be happening soon, besides I’m a lover not a fighter).

So MM, dumb political jokes are okay then, I see?

Torre needs to make bunting sessions with Wills mandatory next Spring and the basis for being promoted to the traveling squad.

Back in the day when Blake and Kemp struck out all of the time I understood them not batting sequentually. But now that 5 of the 8 starters are striking out 17 – 21% of the time that rule should die. Having a doubles hitter in front of Kemp does make sense.

Wouldn’t you think that normally if the #7 batter in the lineup was leading the team in RBIs that the team might be scoring 6 – 8 runs every game? Free Kemp as fast as Beltre was many years ago.

Potluck at giant stadium on Wednesday. Dodger pitchers just bring your arms.

Newspapers are dying. Does Tony have a voice for radio?

Speaking of Blue Bloods – I was at a wedding reception in West Lafayette, Indiana about 20 years ago sitting around a table talking politics with a bunch of Blue Bloods and after 30 minutes the general consensus was that Scoop Jackson should run for President. After about a 1 minute of silence a young lady, who had not said a thing all night, said “My dad will never run for President”

Do you know the difference between a Liberal and a Libero? A Libero is always defensive. That was a sports joke.

Badger LOL, now that was funny right there, I don’t care what anyone says. (Larry the Cable guy). My SF experience was also candlestick. Maybe the gay old bay is mellowing. (Not that there’s anything wrong with it). (Seinfeld)

Martin isn’t Manny or Pujols so he needs to learn how to bunt, plain and simple. If he was hitting .320 or so then he may have a case.

We need the win tonight, Because Wednesday may be just a little to hard of an uphill battle. You have to love the Dodgers September schedule. It looks like if we make it through August, you can rest the boys in September. I say set the pitching rotation with all rookies for a few weeks in September. Lets see the Knuckballer and Elbert amongst others.

Romo, I was wondering about the Giant pitcher with the same last name. No Relation I am guessing. I bet your glad he’s not your brother so you don’t have to dress like a pumpkin. Peace

21. BleedinBlue19 says:

Mark,

I have been lurking on your website for a while now. I try to make time to get here everyday to read your blogs. I enjoy them and their insite. This is my first post. Just wanted to say hello and thank you for your time and effort on the site.

On a side note, Martin should be bunting in that situation especially since JB has not been too solid. Its just a shame that he has proven twice now that he cant get it done. A sacrifice bunt is something EVERYONE should be able to do if put into that situation.

welcome in bleedinblue!

i think we all agree Martin should know how to bunt!

23. LADODGERDAVE says:

im always reading mark

i usually keep opinions to myself, i will comment every now and then….
    but…
    LONEY HATERS! I WEAR THE NUMBER 7 JERSEY EVERYDAY DURING DODGER GAMES……james will pick it up, trust me, mr. clutch will be back come october….(as i youtube the grand slammy at wrigley field)..still hear the ball off the bat….absolutely wonderful

24. Hank says:

I’m reading, thanks for everything Mark. Nice win last night.

What does everyone think about looking to pick up Giambi? We have no power on the bench, and Loretta would still be the main backup, but he could provide the Matt Stairs like punch as a pinch hitter during games.

I agree with Dave. Loney will pick it up. I don’t know what’s wrong with him, but he is too good a hitter to stay in a funk. Looks like he is taking too much Ambien or something.

That wasn’t a political joke Haze, that was radio humor. Limbaugh is an entertainer, not a politician.

Good to see so many new names in here. Post away people. And though mover is as big as Hummer and talks a mean game, he is a pussycat. This place has rocked from the beginning and is only getting better. Your one stop Dodger news joint. It’s all here, just go digging and it will show up.

Speaking of showing up, have we found our 5th starter yet? Haeger/Elbert/Broxton should get us a W.

Ken…. I don’t get it.

26. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

Tell it slower…

KIDDING< Badger!

;)

27. Mark Timmons says:

Hank,

I think we have our LH pinch hitter (and a RH one too) playing at ALBQ. He hit a Grand Salamai last night!

FREE ARBEU!

28. LADODGERDAVE says:

anybody know whos pitching tomorrow?

Read you loud and clear. Have to admit that a few days ago I did take a jab at someone here. It was meant as a joke. I just couldn’t resist, I felt like this individual was treating everyone here as if we were all imbecils. I’ll just take his wisdom in and let the rest roll off my back. For all the hardheadedness here sure is a lot of tender feelings. At first today, I thought Allyssia was scolding me and I was going to tell her that I needed a spanking. P.S. Mark if you ever want to throw me out of the game, it’s Ok, but I will still read. Lets kick some Giantasses.

30. Hank says:

Mark, I’m just saying to bring up Giambi on a one-year deal and see what he can provide experience wise. It would be an inexpensive pickup with some pop. I don’t see why not.

31. LADODGERDAVE says:

badger,

does this pitcher wear 96 and cry alot???

Ok I read it slowly…. I got nothin’. Libero is an Italian word meaning “free”, it’s also a web site. A liberal is someone who believes in freedom of choice. So…… still don’t get it.

Dave… I know who is pitching tomorrow. ? and the Mysterians.

Yep, that’s the one Dave.

And when the sun comes up, I`ll be on top…..
    You`ll be way down there, looking up…

cyr cry cry….

I think it’s Lincecum and Weaver.

Who you got?

Badger

It is a volleyball player who only plays on defense and they get to wear a special colored shirt

Mark – Elbert? – Who went on the DL?

Over at “Inside to Dodgers” there is a link to Dodger Talk on KABC radio for those of us not in the LA area.

Looks like Charlie Haeger will be called up, at least for tomorrow.

37. Hank says:

You’ve gotta be joking, Kemp is hitting 7th AGAIN.

38. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I was just guessing Elbert. Stults went to ALBQ and Haegar is up.

Lawdog is probably beside himself.

39. Mark Timmons says:

Lineup:

Furcal, SS

Martin, C

Ethier, RF

Manny, LF

Blake, 3B

Loney, 1B

Kemp, CF

Castro, 2B

Wolf, P

Martin still in the two hole against a RHer. However, this right hander has a 5.87 ERA so many Joe’s figures Martin can hit him.

Haeger huh? What move was made on the 40 man?

41. Ed says:

Torre’s love of the vets will cost Abreu this year. Mark Loretta .240 something will get
    the PT and the AB’s. Doug M coming back will also slow down the inevitable. I believe
    this young man will be a solid big-league player if not in a Dodger uniform then somewhere else hopefully remaining healthy.

Law Dog the Advocate Extraordinaire – Please make a U-Tube video for your boy Charlie

Dodgers were at 39 men on the 40 man so Haeger makes 40. Maybe that means they choose Hager over Smoltz and Padilla.

Free Law Dog

Law Dog is probably drunk as a skunk already

Brrr, it is colder than a witches bleep in Frisco. 58 degrees at first pitch. The coldest I have been in my life was a night game at Candlestick.

I assummed that Charlie was up for the start, but in the pregame[which I missed a portion of] Vinnie said Dreamweaver is getting the the call tommorow, confusing? Day game tommorow, better call in sick.

The coldest winter I have ever experienced was one summer in San Francisco. (Mark Twain)

Let’s go Dodgers

Velez leads the league in skinny….

Did anyone find out who was dropped from the 40 man roster?

Or was Josh Bell the one that came off the 40 man roster? Ken said we were at 39. Maybe the knuckleballer gets a test before we turn to Smoltz or Padilla. Stay tuned

• Ken says:

Yes Stay tuned because Ned is not currently allowed to go all in but he can check all day long.

Did Law Dog go out to buy a big screen tv and recorder for tommorrow with the money he made lobbying for Haeger. Some other site MSTI has been trying to steal Law Dog’s thunder but we all know that he was first!!

When Velez was a kid he and his friends played hide and go seek. When his friends hid behind the car he just hid behind the antenna.

The coldest I ever was in SF was during the second game of a double header. The cold felt great becasue I got sun burned during the first game.

Velez is the only one I know that can tread water in a garden hose.

53. SteveM says:

Weaverror is starting tomorrow.

Just for info I’m from the same town that Sergio Romo is from: Brawley. He’s a good kid and his Dad is a good friend. The family is Dodger Blue by the way and I’m OK with him going 1-2-3 last night. I’ve already told him I wish him the best as long as the Dodgers win.

Funny how everybody is SO-O-O calm now that we are up by 7.5. Remember this and never forget that positivity is the key.

Lyons still sucks.

Funny stuff about Velez.

You know what else is funny? He has as many home runs as Russell Martin, in about 250 fewer at bats, and he has a higher OPS than James Loney.

Dogs broke out the whoopin’ sticks last night. 9 runs a game the rest of the way ought to do it.

Weaver vs. Lincecum. Hmmm. Wonder who Vegas has in this one?