Joe Torre’s Best Move

Joe Torre’s Best Move

It no secret that Jon Broxton has been my whipping boy lately, but it’s only because I think he can be so much better than he is.  In fact, we saw how good he could be in the 8th inning yesterday.  It was a smart move to bring Broxton in to face the heavy RH middle of the Cubs lineup in the 8th followed by George Sherrill in the 9th.  That strategy was sound in itself, but it also served as a message to Broxton that he could be replaced.  Now, I don’t think Joe is going to do that right now, but faced with the same situation, he’ll do it again in heartbeat, and I believe Broxton is the kind of guy you have to light a fire under from time-to-time.   I’ll not beat this horse, but let’s see if Joe’s strategy works long term.  This may well be the wake-up call Big Jon needs.

Big Bad Jon

Big Bad Jon

Rants & Raves

• Charlie Haeger?  WOW!  He was aided by the high-humidity, but it’s humid lots of places.  He was awesome.  I pronounce him our 5th Starter, which leaves Padilla where, when Kuroda returns?
  • What a blast by Kemp!  This guy will be scary good in another year!
  • We need to find our bats!

Minor League Recap – 8/22/09 by Jared of  http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque won 8-4

Jamie Hoffman – 2 for 5, RBI, R, K (.296 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 0 for 1 (.288 BA)

Vicente Padilla – 5 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K’s (3.60 ERA)

Chattanooga lost 7-1

Trayvon Robinson – 1 for 4, RBI, K (.167 BA)
Andrew Lambo – 1 for 4, 2B, 2 K’s (.256 BA)

Victor Garate – 1.2 IP, 2 Hits, ER, 0 BB, 0 K’s (1.94 ERA)
Javy Guerra – 1 IP, Hit, R (0 ER), BB, 0 K’s (4.09 ERA)

Inland Empire lost 10-3

Scott Van Slyke – 1 for 4, R, BB, 2 K’s (.288 BA)
Steven Caseres – 1 for 3, R, 2 BB, K (.263 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 2 for 4, 2B, BB, 2 K’s, SB (.237 BA)

Justin Miller – 3 IP, 7 Hits, 9 R (4 ER), 2 BB, K (6.63 ERA)

Great Lakes won 6-0

Dee Gordon – 1 for 4, RBI, R, SB (.302 BA)
Kyle Russell – 2 for 4, 2B, HR (25), RBI, R, 2 K’s (.275 BA)
Jerry Sands – 0 for 2, BB (.259 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 0 for 2, R, BB, K (.277 BA)
Mario Songco – 1 for 3, 3B, RBI (.150 BA)

Aaron Miller – 5.1 IP, Hit, 0 R, 4 BB, 5 K’s (2.11 ERA)

Ogden won 2-1

BCG – 1 for 5, 2 RBI (.332 BA)
Nick Akins – 1 for 4, 2B, 3 K’s (.250 BA)
JT Wise – 0 for 2, 2 BB, K (.305 BA)

Carl Webster – 7.2 IP, 4 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K’s (0.00 ERA)
Steven Ames – 2.1 IP, 3 Hits, ER, BB, 3 K’s (1.14 ERA)

AZL lost 10-4

Jonathan Garcia – 3 for 4, 2 2B’s, 3 R (.315 BA)

Danny Danielson – 5 IP, 3 Hits, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K’s (3.20 ERA)

Players of the day – Aaron Miller, LHP and Carl Webster, RHP

Miller’s command took a step backward today, but his stuff was as good as ever as he pitched 5.1 innings of 1 hit ball, striking out 5. His overall strikeout rate is 13 per 9 and his ERA is 3.00. Webster has been even better, and had an amazing debut in Ogden. He’s now struck out 65 batters in 55.1 IP (10.5 per 9) compared to just 14 walks; he walked 17 batters in 18.1 innings last year. He’s also posting a near 2 to 1 groundball ratio and has yet to allow a home run. Whatever Webster’s doing, it’s working.

25 Responses to “Joe Torre’s Best Move”

Didn’t we talk about some games being saved in 7th and 8th inning, and that is when you should have your closer in?

Yeah, we did.

And ldawg wasn’t the only one saying give Haeger his shot. He brought the guy to my attention weeks ago, and it was then some of us agreed he should be up showing us if he has it or not. Took long enough to get him in there. So far so good.

Cubs are in a real funk. They suck. We will need to play much better offensively in the mountains next week.

Padilla is as ready as he is going to be. Looked ok at mile high Albu. Next stop, Denver.

It would be nice to actually score a bunch of runs today. Time to be offensive.

Props to LDawg for “discovering” Charlie Knuckles!

I have a gripe! The Minor League report is a little incomplete today. Sure Padilla went 5 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K’s BUT how many guys did he hit?!?! Damn it I will not stand for Vincente getting shorted on his stats!

I was glad to see Broxton used in the 8th. It is all about situations and using the right guy for the moment in the game. I remember the “Nasty Boys” they shared saves. Dibble, Franco & Charlton didn’t care who worked the 7th 8th or 9th. They just got the team WINS. Sherrill is going to be here next year too I hope Torre continues to handle the 8th and 9th the same way. It is not a slight on Broxton.

Congrats to Lawdawg for scouting us out a much needed pitcher. If he ever gets back to the Library to read LA Dodger Talk, he should get his due thanks. I also liked Broxton in the 8th yesterday. Great move by J. T. I too am worried about our offense these days. If we weren’t playing a team in a bigger offensive slump then us, we may have lost the last three games. Well I didn’t see Romo’s prediction for Bills today. I am hoping for 7 great innings from the Chadster. Charlie Knuckles is a great name Romo, I hope it and he sticks around for a while.

Sherrill is a great pickup. Even though he is 32 he only has 4 full seasons and 2 half seasons behind him – Still subject to Arbitration?

Broxton – I agreed yesterday. However, he may be just a very small town old fashion guy whose’s goal in life was to drive a truck, stay home, have kids, love his wife, and be home every night. If so, then his mental endurance may never develop. Especially now that he is not home every night watching his new child grow up. You never know.

Padilla is ready enough to replace Weaver but not Haeger. Kuroda should be rested much longer than he thinks that he should be rested.

Chuck Haeger’s pitches will never break the sound barrier. Go George Welch.

AAA Box score shows 2 HBP, neither by Padilla

Free Pierre into left field. Commando should rest so he does not become injured like Beltre.

Lincecum goes for the gints. Safe to rest 2 Dodger players today.

5. SpokaneBob says:

Knuckles just makes the whole staff stronger. In the unlikly advent that Padilla is lights out and Kuroda comes back strong we could sure use a relived who could pitch virtualy every day and stretch to 4 innings when needed. Using Heager somewhere between the 5th and 7th innings would just make our other pitchers stuff look better. For now Iam happy to have him as our number 5.

PS – Starting Pitching Ace calculator – A stat that combines ERA, WHIP & Innings per Game

Haeger – 2.21
    Wolf – 3.13
    Kuroda – 3.44
    Bills – 3.45
    Kershaw – 3.48

Weaver – 4.22
    Milton – 4.75
    Stults – 4.97
    Schmidt – 5.68
    McDonald – 8.17

No way is Padilla able to break into the top 5 unless More On….

7. GoNzO says:

The Nasty boys were actually charlton, myers and dibble. I remember them when they won it all in 90. Dibble could have been so much better than he was if he didn’t his head up his ass as much as he did. But yeah, what a luxury to have your SP target 6 innings and knowing the game was won.

Hopefully Padilla pitches well until Kuroda comes back (Hopefully he rests until 9/1). After that Padilla could be used every 5-6 days to spell either Wolf or Kershaw for a couple of weeks thus saving them for the playoffs and then the Padilla versus Haeger decision can be postponed until ater 9/15.

Tommorrow Ned’s day will be very difficult as presumably the Brass meets to figure out the 40-man roster for the rest of the season. Presumably when Padilla is added Schimdt will be put on the 60-Day for the remainder of the year and Abreu probably gets another plane ticket to ALBQ for a week. Schmidt – Don’t let the plane door hit you on the way out of town!!! That leaves no room for Eyechart, Paul, Ohman or anyone that is not currently on the 40-man such as Lindblum. So who will get the Axe, Castro, Repko, Castillo, Loretta, Ohman, Eyechart ???

Anybody seen the Dodger offense?

Guess not.

Methinks the Rockies are licking their chops.

11. LADODGERDAVE says:

I HAVE 3 WISHES…

1. I WISH JUAN PIERRE PLAYED SHORTSTOP

2. I WISH MANNY WAS BACK ON ROIDS

3. I WISH A THIRD BASE UMP NEVER CALLS TIME ON A PLAY WHERE THE SHORTSTOP LOSES THE BALL IN THE SUN

side note…i know manny likes taking his time in the outfield, but MAN, its getting pretty frusterating to watch him JOG around out there

Bills is a hard luck loser today. Not terrible, but not an ace performance. But I guess Charlie Knuckles has assumed that moniker :)

The offense is just plain bad right now. Take away Wolfs offensive explosion we had 2 HRs the on Saturday and today’s no show. This is not a good tea right now. Sure we beat a team that is having more trouble than us but our offense is DOA and our pitching is a crap shoot from night to night, even if the stats look good. Honestly do we know we have great pitching or are we pleasantly surprised and holding our breathe from series to series? I am the latter.

I wish that I had a union job like Bills where I started the Blue Flu at 90 minutes and never had to work more than 100 minutes into the shift. Once again he crashed before 100 minutes.

Pierre should learn how to throw right handed during the off season. He could throw as hard as Ekstein.

Wolf’s SLG is still higher than Martin’s. Maybe it will be at years end. That will be in NG’s arbitration file.

The Dodgers should take the train to Denver!

Donnie T-Ball – Lesson #1 – Try to pull every pitch or Torre will bench you. Pull the outside pitch because the groundskeeppers need the ground balls to loosen up the ground, make noise and kill some gophers.

14. A Shot of Haeger says:

I know we’re all frustrated right now. The offense isn’t clicking on any cylinder’s… The Rockies are breathing down our neck.. I don’t care!!!

We’re going to take two of three or sweep the Rockies and we’re going to start pulling away. We’ll clinch the division with 8 games left in the season.. and we’re going to win the World Series.

You can post your stats about Bills struggling or we don’t match up well against this team or that team… and while that’s all well and good… I’ve decided I’m going to be the blind, irrational fan…who always believes in the best of his team and that they will find a way to get it done.

If I’m right, it’ll be happy days at the end of October… If I’m worng….well guess what?

We get to do it all over again in March.

Go Dodgers!!!

15. lawdog says:

Cincy had their nasty boys. We had the “brain dead heavers” who wouldn’t have recognized a change up by their own admission if one hit them in the ass. Tom Neidenfer, a lefty on who’s name I’m blocking who never could get enough snow up his nose and died this year in a one vehicle accident near Indio with his nose o well paked with crank, another real soft spoken guy–sounded like a girl who left our pen to be a 20 game winner for several years. And one other flamethrower.

I rmember reading an interview with one of them i the SF press after a real Sunday double header–Fernando won the openr and got our asses had to us in the second. All of our Fireman had turned into arsonists in the second game spoiling a start Rick Honeycutt already ruined. Bonds bombed them with 3 hrs and 2 double. Our guy probably had a snootfull of some extracurricular, recreational pharmacuetical himself.because he said after the game that they adopted the name “the brain dead heavers” because the all changed speeds on their best pitch, the fastball, by trying to throw it harder.

Too bad I can’t remembeer their names today. They could all throw gas. Too bad most of them became better pitchers after they left LA.

If we don’t start hitting the ball like we did earlier this year we’ll all be watching the world series, including our team itself.

16. GoNzO says:

LD, I could name a few Dodgers that left and became studs.

17. A Shot of Haeger says:

Lawdog,

I think the lefty was Terry Forster

18. Mark Timmons says:

Forster was not the lefty. Lawdog speaks of Steve Howe.

19. Mark Timmons says:

The flamethrower was Alejandro Pena

20. Mark Timmons says:

Bob Welch was the 20 game winner

21. Mark Timmons says:

The only problem is that was the mid-80′s and Bonds didn’t play for SF until 93!

22. A Shot of Haeger says:

That’s right! Steve Howe!! and Alejandro Pena… didn’t they call him “Slow”?

Terry Forster cost me playoff tickets. He gave up the HR to Joe F ing Morgan the last day of the year in “82 after I stood in line for an hour at Ticket Master in the mall (Ah… The good old days)
    We were set for a 1 game playoff with of all people Joe Torre’s Braves!

With a 3 1/2 game lead we should be scared. By the way the manager of the year in the NL will be Jim Tracy! If you don’t think he deserves it you are lost!!! Trace should still be our manager. I will stand by that comment. No other manager has been sabotaged more by a GM or management in Dodger history!

24. A Shot of Haeger says:

Jim Tracy can have his manager of the year award. He can enjoy it while we’re having our World Series victory parade!

I’m not worried at all.