Will Manny Get Wood On The Ball?

Will Manny Get Wood On The Ball?

Rants & Raves:

• Thanks to Roger Dodger for the best “Get Well Pot” I have ever seen!  Very cool!  I guess that means I have to allow hom to keep ragging on me.
  • My Physical Therapy is progressing very well.  I can walk for short distances and up and down stairs without a cane or walker.  I have two more PT sessions and I am released… 3 weeks early!  My therapist says my recovery is the fastest she has seen.  I’m excited!
  • Clayton Kershaw has a 0.76 ERA over his past 23 2/3 innings.  Not bad.   He’s not where we want him to be, but he’s still awesome.
  • Cole Hamels ERA is 4.98.
  • C-Bill has been one of the most consistent starters in all of baseball since last years All-Star game.
  • Matt Kemp should make the All-Star Team.  Other Dodgers I think should be on the team: Billingsley, Broxton, Hudson and Martin (JUST KIDDING ABOUT MARTIN, JUSTRoger KIDDING!)
  • Hiroki Kuroda could do a lot to make Manny’s return easier by throwing  BB’s and shutting down the Padres to shut up the fans.
  • I guess when you have a Million Dollars tied up in a bum like Vargas, you have to actually see him do bad before releasing him.
  • Josh Lindblom was “lights out” in his AAA start last night.  If we want a pitcher, most teams will demand him.  Do you want to trade him?  I don’t!!!
  • The fans at Petco threw a syringe at Barry Bonds.  I wonder what they will throw at Mann?
  • I still believe that Ron Artest has an amazing innate ability to create a train wreck for the Lakers.  I think the Lakers will rue the day they let Ariza walk.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP:

1. Furcal, SS
  2. Hudson, 2B
  3. Manny, LF
  4. Ethier, RF
  5. Blake, 3B
  6. Loney, 1B
  7. Martin, C
  8. Kemp, CF
  9. Kuroda, P

27 Responses to “Will Manny Get Wood On The Ball?”

That first line in your blog is sure to get some comments,LOL. Personnally I would prefer that O-Dog get some rest over the break. Happy to hear that your rebound has been smooth.When Clayton learns to spread 97 pitches over 7 or 8 innings instead of 5 he will be a very good hurler.I think Manny will be Manny tonight and look like he hasn’t missed a beat.

2. SpokaneBob says:

Roger sent you some get well Pot?

I hope Orlando is not on the all star team, he needs the rest.

I agree we shouldn’t trade for another starter unless we can get Peavey for Lawdog or something as good. We have enough to get the job done.

3. SpokaneBob says:

Michael, looks like we are on the same page. I wouldn’t be surprised if Manny hit one out tonight.

Just win Baby.

Manny will be 1 for 3 with a BB.

I don’t want to trade Lindblom. If he can pitch here, bring him on up. If he can bring us a 200 IP 4. guy, Jed will do it.

Ariza will rue the day he left the Lakers. He is on a lottery team now. Every team should make one adjustment, just to keep everyone from getting complacent.

Have your wife make cookies with that pot mover. It’s easier on the body that way.

Let’s see, 23 2/3 innings. What is that, like 5 games? What’s his record? I agree with Michael. Until Kershaw throws strikes, he is just another thrower. Kid has million dollar stuff, but you have to deliver it to get the dough.

Kemp an All Star? Yeah, maybe. Somebody besides Broxton has to go.

5. lawdog says:

If you guys haven’t read about Charlie and his dancing “finger tip” ball–you really should! Here’s the link:

Artest will make the Lakers better next season then they’d be with Ariza. After next year it’s all down hill for Artest and Ariza will keep rising to be one of the premier players in the game. It’s the age thing. Artest, in his Prime is better shooting and his defense is better than Ariza’s. But what you see is what you get with Artest. He won’t continue to rise in his 30s. Ariza is 26 and about to come into his own as one of the quickest, best shooting forwards in the game.

Manny couldn’t be coming back at a better time for the Dogs tonight.

6. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

I get to hear about every baseball announcing team, because i don’t always get the LA feed and if you think he is just another thrower, you are about the only guy in baseball who thinks that.

Opposing players and announcers are ga-ga with their praise about him and they continually bring up the K-word!

7. lawdog says:

Yikes! Ariza is only 24. The Lakers will live to regret not paying the extra $800,000 per year it would have taken to sign him for 5 years. But getting Artest for $6 million per year is a deal! How much can Odom demand now, about $7.5 million?

“amassing the most complete games in the Southern League”

I’m sold. Bring him up now and see if he can get people out at this level. If so, we may not need a deadline starter.

I agree with your assessment about Ariza ldog. But Artest will be fine for the 3 years of his contract. He is actually a great fit for L.A.. Kobe doesn’t have to work as hard on defense and the Lakers get more points per game out of the position.

9. lawdog says:

K word? Is that strike out or Koufax?

Hey, that’s just my opinion Mark. He can’t seem to get more than 6 innings, then he has to turn it over to the bullpen. He throws way too many balls. If he was a real pitcher, he would trust his stuff, hit his spots and easily get 7-8 IP every time out. He doesn’t leave early because he is knocked out of the box. He leaves early because of pitch count.

Pitchers throw strikes, throwers just heave it up there.

Some day he will mature and his brain will catch up to his talent. I haven’t seen it yet. And frankly, neither have you. With his stuff, he should be better than Lincecum.

Edit?

Just checked again. Kershaw is averaging 5.45 IP/start and 99 pitches per game started. He has 52 BB in 87 IP.

Yeah, he has good stuff. No question, and no debate. But this kid needs to realize that he has got to stay in there past the 7th inning if he wants to have W’s next his name.

It comes down to one thing with this kid. Throw strikes early and often. The book on him is easy, work the count, wear him down, get to the bullpen.

Fun note here, the first 4 pitchers taken in this year’s draft – Stephen Strasberg, Matt Hobgood, Zack Wheeler and Mike Minor – what do they all have in common? (hint – it isn’t a great change-up)

13. Miguel Salcido says:

I’ll be at the game tonight in SD with a group of about 30. Not sure how coherent I will be but I will be posting to Twitter (can see it in the sidebar with links to pics I’ll be taking with my phone. You will get to see the underbelly of what it will be like at this sold out affair. There will be lots of debauchery for sure. Check it out. Wish I could set it up to post to the blog but I dont have time for that, gotta catch the train downtown. First Stop, Tivoli Bar, just 3 blocks from Petco and the oldest bar in downtown SD.

14. Roger says:

What is this?

“Artest will make the Lakers better next season then they’d be with Ariza” ?????

What is this !!!

Is something about the Three-I league, or some baseball team in Japan ???

This is LA Dodger Talk — oh, how soon some forget.

15. Mark Timmons says:

TONIGHT’S LINEUP/Also Posted Above:

Furcal, SS
    Hudson, 2B
    Manny, LF
    Ethier, RF
    Blake, 3B
    Loney, 1B
    Martin, C
    Kemp, CF
    Kuroda, P

Maybe this will ignite Raffy too!

Until he throws strikes consistently, Kershaw will continue to struggle a large percentage of the time. The question with him is simply this: Are he and the Dodgers benefitting from his pitching at the big league level at this juncture in his career?

We need to remember that he’s only 21, and was signed out of high school in 2006. If he had gone to college he would have been chosen in this years draft. Normally, a pitcher his age would be learning his craft in the minor leagues, for the most part out of our sight. Billingsley signed in 2003 and didn’t reach the Dodgers until 2006. And if memory serves me correct, he suffered from inconsistency himself. Still does, given his high number of walks this year.

And if Kershaw remains healthy, I agree with Badger that he will ultimately be a better pitcher than Lincecum, who is 4 years his senior. In fact, it was the development of his change-up last year, when he was 3 years older than Kershaw is now, that seems to have put Lincecum over the top.

Maybe the light will suddenly go on, or, more likely, we’re just going to have to wait as Kershaw gradually improves over the next year or two. As things stand now, the Dodgers are probably better off allowing him to continue his development at the big level. With all the frustration his starts generate, he’s probably good often enough to hold down the 4th spot in the rotation.

Hopefully, Manny’s presence will ignite Raffy. However, I can’t help but think that the Dodgers would be better off having Matt Kemp at the top of the order getting better pitches to hit in front of Manny.

The 8th spot is a tough place to hit. Maybe it’s part of Matt Kemp’s baseball education, allowing him to further develop his patience at the plate.

Also, Martin hit 8th successfully when he was called up in 2006. Might not be a bad idea to flip-flop him and Kemp. Given Martin’s current struggles, I suspect that Loney would see better pitches to hit with Kemp behind him.

Whatever the case, if the Dodgers win, I’ll be happy.

Kemp in the 8 hole. Man, that is strange. A .300 hitter with 30 home run and 100 RBI po is hitting in front of the pitcher. That’s Blake’s spot. Flip ‘em. I suppose an exercise in pitch selection is as good a guess as any for why he is there. Doesn’t resonate with me.

All good points about Kershaw Brooklyn. Like I said, if I am running things, he has been starting at AA working on throwing 3 pitches for strikes and throwing only 85-90 pitches every fifth day. Right about now he is ready to come up and finish 7 innings right through October. And, that 7th inning is critical. Every team has a set-up man and a closer. It’s the 6th and 7th inning that is often where games are won – and lost. I worry that this kid, throwing 100 pitches every time out, might fade in late August. Hope I am wrong about that.

19. Blue Haze says:

Good point BD, Kemp moved up would help him to see much better pitches. I think they are trying to protect Martin with Kemp, thus Kemp suffers in the 8 hole. I still would like to see Ausmus get all starts with Kershaw and also give him some time with Billingsley. I think Ausmus may be able to help these young pitchers better than J. Martin, Ausmus just has a wider knowledge base to help these youngsters.

20. Mark Timmons says:

Kershaw is practically unhittable on the major league level. His problem is control, but it’s not like he’s throwing it over the backstop. It’s just a matter of developing a conistsent release point. He can kill batters in the minors without the right release point. How could you measure his success? Can you imagine how unchallenged he would be at AAA or AA? With a talent like Kershaw, he has to pitch at the major league level or your risk stunting his growth. I mean, it’s like a high schooler playing 5th graders for him to pitch in the minors. You have to give a guy room to grow and Clayton would be unable to grow in the minors. You rise or lower to your competition. Clayton is rising…

Unchallenged? You think finding the strike zone is not a challenge for this kid? Mark, he is averaging 99 pitches to get through less than 6 innings! The work he needs to do is not strike people out, but to throw 3 different pitches for strikes.

I guess maybe I haven’t made myself clear here. How do I say it in a different way so it makes sense.

OK, let’s try this. First of all, Kershaw going to AA for two months is not going to crush his spirit, it’s going to prepare him for a pennant drive. At AA, or AAA, doesn’t really matter, it’s mid-May and his job tonight is to throw 90 pitches, fastballs, curve balls and change-ups, and get 60 of them over for strikes. It does not matter the least bit whether or not he gets guys out – I DON’T CARE ABOUT THAT! (see, I yelled again, and you know whoever yells the most and the loudest – wins!)

If he throws 2 strikes for every ball, he will be able to go 7-8 and get a W. The closer he can get this team to Broxton, the better his chances for a win. He is 21. Like Brooklyn said, other 21 year olds just got drafted and will spend a couple of years in the minors and have plenty of time for long and productive careers.

I still worry about Kershaw running out of pitches in late August. On my plan, his pitch count in August will be what it is now in July. On my plan, he has learned to throw strikes BEFORE coming to the bigs. On my plan, he starts tonight with Manny back, goes 9 for a complete game shutout.

That’s my plan. How can you argue with that?

That looked like the Raffy I remember, perhaps he just needed to be put in the leadoff role, ya think. Kemp seems to do just fine in the 8 hole, Joe ain’t no dummy. Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts, this thing is set for takeoff.

23. Roger says:

Manny is back, and the Dodgers are now playing like they did back in April. Getting those runs early. Martin came through.

I said the other day here, that Kershaw should try a few innings and just throw strikes. That just might get most of the hitters knowing they have to swing, and they might not dig in as deep.

Mark, how were the cookies? Did you get any? Or did you son eat them all.

Furcal looks good. Manny? eh. It will take him a while but it would appear the team is energized.

Just checked the S.F. box – they are 14 for 28 with 13 runs scored in 5 innings. Yoiks.

25. Mark Timmons says:

Of course, Tim Lincecum pitched in college, which slows your development because you play many fewer games each year. In Lincecum’s 1st year, he averaged 4.0 BB per 9 innings pitched. In Clayton’s fisrt year he averaged 4.3 BB per 9 innings pitched. This year it is up to 5.3, but in many respects (other than number of pitches) he is better than last year. He has a 3.49 ERA (and falling) and it’s insane to send a guy that good back down so that he can learn better control. He’ll learn that here and learn it aginst better hitters. We also don’t have anyone better for the rotation. He some repects he’s our #2. We have to hope that he can grow into that role after the All-Star break.

Roger,

I haven’t brought myself to cut them open yet. That look too good to eat! But I will…

26. Mark Timmons says:

By way of comparison, C-Bill aveaged 5.8 BB per 9 on his first year and dropped it to 3.9 the 2nd, then 3.6 the 3rd. He’s at 4.1 this year.

When the Dodgers sent Clayton down last year, he dropped his BB/9 to 2.8 at JAX, but pitching in the minors really is not something I think will help him. Billingsley walks too many batters too, should we send him down?