Who is Cheryl?

Who is Cheryl?
  • Clayton Kershaw was 7th in innings pitched in all of major league baseball and 1st in ERA for the month of July.  Spin it how you want – that’s pretty impressive!
  • The Dodgers are not as good as you think.
  • The Dodgers are not as bad as you think.
  • The Dodgers would be better if they had Kemp-Manny-Ethier back-to-back-to-back.
  • Nice 3-5 and winning hit by Matt…sherrill
  • In the four game series with the Cards, the Dodgers outhit them 45 to 36, but the Cards outscored the Dodgers 22 to 8.  That is beyond pitiful.  There should be an investigation.
  • Kuroda looked better, no walks, 6 innings.
  • Jon Broxton should have had 2 saves in the series.
  • Manny’s image gets tarnighed even more.  The possibility exists that he may nver be the player he once was.
  • Now we know why Ortiz has dropped off…
  • Jason Schmidt better be on short leash tonight – Elbert at the ready
  • Doug Mientkiewicz was 4-5 with a HR and 5 RBI for the Isotopes (who scored 23 runs last night)
  • Josh Lindblom – 2 IP , 1 H, 0 Runs (2.89 AAA ERA) – he will be a factor for us soon.
  • Who is Cheryl?

57 Responses to “Who is Cheryl?”

1. Erik says:

Bring back menti, away with laretta.

2. Roger says:

I predict that Schmidt will be effective for at least six innings tonight. He will hit his spots, keep things mixed up. Out guess Brave’s hitters. Now it is up to the rest of the lineup to score some runs.

If that is wrong. Cut him loose.

Seriously, I think he might have his rhythem down now. If he can hit spots, he can control the game for, 4 or 5 or 6 innings.

Hope so.

3. Roger says:

Let’s talk about Loretta. (Is Loretta a guy’s name or a girl’s name?)

I remember in Spring Training he had some nice hits, as I remember.

In April he hit .474 in 19 ABs with 9 hits and 3 RBIs.

In May he hit .235 in 34 ABs with 8 hits and 7 RBIs.

In June he hit .175 in 40 ABs with 7 hits and 4 RBIs.

In July he as hit .111 in 27 ABs with 3 hits and 3 RBIs.

For the 2009 season:

He was been in 72 games, 120 ABs with 27 hits and 17 RBIs.

I guess I was expecting more, somehow.

In his last 8 games he does not have a hit.

Somehow, he needs to get his motor going. The Dodgers need his skills.

4. t says:

Elbert or McDonald should be starting tonight. Schmidt will get rocked. I applaud him for coming back but he’s done. Torre should do what’s best for the team not what’s best for Schmidt.

And when the f*ck will Kemp hit higher in the lineup??? It’s so frustrating

I think Roger is right(not the 6 innings part) Schmidt will get hit hard and often tonight. If he does we have to shut him down, what is the point. Sure we have a big division lead but there is a long way to go and lets not give games away. McD pitched an inning last night I hope he is rested enough to go about 5 after Schmidt gets blown up tonight.

6. Roger says:

If he gets bombed. Send him back to Camelback in AZ and let him work out, pitch, until his contract is up. He gots to early his hard earned money.

7. Voldomer says:

Goodbye Vargas, we hardly knew you.

8. Voldomer says:

Was this to clear salary, a roster spot, or both?

A roster spot for whom?

I’m guessing roster spot. But it doesn’t hurt to clear a little off the payroll.

10. Buddy says:

Trading Vargas was a strange move. I was under the impression the Dodgers wanted to strengthen bullpen depth not mitigate it. I’m hoping it was just something the scouting staff saw that they didn’t like. Anyone have a scouting report on Vittino?

11. Slo Dawg says:

Maybe clears a roster spot for Sherrill?

12. Buddy says:

Although it is a minute sample size (11 IP), Vargas did have a 1.64 ERA with a WHIP of 1.00. He also had 10K with 4 walks which really doesn’t mean anything. His past couple of years don’t speak all that well for him though.

I hope they’re adding Vittino to strengthen the minor league catching system with the loss of Carlos Martinez last year. At the same time, we can’t discount the possibility of this being a precursor for another deal.

13. Voldomer says:

Possibly so on Sherrill, though I would have expected just a demotion for that. Maybe it was a 40-man roster issue. Kevin Baxter of the LA Times just said on the MLB Network that it was prompted by the arrival of Sherrill and to reward Vargas for working hard in rehab.

I’ve got to think something else is up, though. Who gives away a healthy pitcher for a 29-year-old ML catcher?

I get the feeling nothing will happen today. Maybe a waiver wire deal. If Colorado continues to falter I would love to add Marquis. Man I am bumming that we haven’t added a starter, Washburn was my hope because of his asking price. Ned said he had no interset in him…just so happens he is a Boras client…makes me think we won’t want him in the winter either. Oh well.

C’mon Ned make someting happen.

15. Slo Dawg says:

Hopefully something else is up but I won’t hold my breath. Dewitt i has been optioned so many times in the last month I have lost track on the 25 man roster!!!!

16. Harold says:

The Angels and Dodgers are engaged in trade talks this morning for Heath Bell, the San Diego Padres’ All-Star closer. The Florida Marlins are among the other teams to have pursued Bell, but a source familiar with the talks said the Padres have narrowed the field to the Angels and Dodgers. — LA Times

Who knows what’s up?

GO DODGERS!!

17. Mark Timmons says:

Vargas was out of options. They had to release him and pay him… or trade him for a 29-year-old career minor league Catcher. With Sherrill being added and Belisario and Wade coming shortly, someone had to go.

18. Slo Dawg says:

I can’t believe San Diego would trade Bell to the Dodgers and how does he fit with Brox being here. Pretty much the same player. Maybe a 3 team deal involving Brox?????I doubt it….I love the MLB Network….took the day off and I have been glued to the tube all morning!!!

19. Voldomer says:

Another hint of Brox in a deal for Halladay?

• Slo Dawg says:

Could be….Honestly, MLB Network hasn’t mentioned San Diego and Dodgers talking about Bell. i doubt this is happening….1 hour 15 minutes to go!!I know this isn’t a 2 team deal….

20. Slo Dawg says:

MLB Network just said that the Dodgers and Padres may be talking about Gonzalez and Bell!!! I just caught it as I was walking thru the room but they did mention Loney..they say it is either sperately or part of a blockbuster deal!!!

Never mind…their source is Ken Rosenthal

21. Anonymous says:

Exactly, didn’t Rosenthal say we were in on Lee & Martinez? Hell I could come up with rumors like that!

That said how friggin sweet would it be to have Gonzalez? Broxton ,Loney, & McDonald for Bell & Adrian? Nahh

22. Slo Dawg says:

Bell would have too be in the mix…I know Sherrill has been a closer but I have watched him more then a few times this year and he can be scary!!!

that was me

24. Voldomer says:

Imagine this pen: Broxton, Bell, Kuo, Sherrill, Troncoso, Belisario, Mota!

LA would have more gas than OPEC!

(I know, OPEC has oil, not gas.)

i would take Bell over Broxton. but both are GREAT!

Interesting Washburn trade

27. Mark Timmons says:

Joe Beimel to the Rockies – Troy is beside himself, I’m sure!

Adam LaRoche to Braves

Victor Martinez to Red Sox

28. Mark Timmons says:

According to FOXSports.com, the Dodgers are making a run at the Padres’ Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell.

As Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi report, “If the Dodgers acquired Gonzalez, they presumably would send first baseman James Loney to the Padres or trade him somewhere else.” It’s going to take a bit more than Loney. The Friars asked for about four or five prospects from the Red Sox for Gonzalez

29. Roger says:

Dodgers will have one of those trades after the deadline, and sit it was in the paper work.

I would have rolled the dice – Kept Vargas knowing that you might receive nothing for him in 2 weeks. I would give one more start to Schmidt, Move Mac to AAA and put Ohman on the 60 Day. If Schimdt needs to be DFA’s in 10 days then Vargas is still there as a long reliever.

31. Voldomer says:

OK, the deadline has passed. Let’s see what paperwork Ned is now finishing up . . .

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

33. Voldomer says:

Mark, what are you hearing? Surely Ned didn’t go out with a whimper.

34. Slo Dawg says:

Guys it looks we may have to ride this horse to the finish line…Joe time to get out the whip for the stretch run!!!

35. Voldomer says:

MLB Network: Peavy to ChiSox for prospects!

36. Mark Timmons says:

We are dancing with the ones we brought!

I dont get the Peavy deal, why would you give up so much for a pitcher who is hurt?

I will bet there is a waiver deal that gets done for us. Not a big name but a solid piece

by the way, did Rosenthal get any stories right this year? Or ever for that matter? How does this guy stay a “MLB insider” when Heyman, Nightgale, &others always get the scoop and have inside infor that comes to fruition, while Rosenthal just throws crap at the wall? Seriously Lee& Martinez to the Dodgers? Gonzales & Bell to the Dodgers? When we all first heard those we scrathed our heads didn’t we? What a hack.

I predicted that Doc would not be traded and Frank would be real cheap. Hopefully a complicated deal is still being reviewed by the league office but I doubt it. Sometimes being right sucks.

hey Ken did you here about the Pujols deal to the Dodgers for prospects?

41. Mark Timmons says:

Rosenthal was right once – he predicted the sun would come up!

42. Slo Dawg says:

Okay so Kershaw is now our ace. Here is how it stacks up

1. Kershaw
    2. Bills
    3. Kuroda
    4. Wolf
    5. Any Pitcher on the 40 man roster!

43. Voldomer says:

How would you like to be a fly on the wall when Torre and Ned meet today? My money’s on Torre.

44. Slo Dawg says:

Ned should tell Torre to try and adequetely manage the pitching staff he has!!!

well I dont think there was much Ned could do today. Toronto didnt really want to trade Halladay. After that the deals were really done. There is no wa there was anything to the San Diego talk. I don’t know why they didn’t like Washburn but oh well. Like Mark said we are going with the one’s we brought to the dance.

46. Buddy says:

The Dodgers can always pickup another reliever at the waiver deadline.

47. Slo Dawg says:

If Halladay ends up getting hurt and going on the DL we can all say this is the best trade Ned never made!!!

48. Slo Dawg says:

Just looking for the silver linning today’s inactivity. Although we have had recent success against Peavy and he is injured he is no longer in the Western Division…Heck he isn’t even in the National League…

49. Buddy says:

That’s right, Slo Dawg,
    At the earliest, the Dodgers wont’ have to worry about Peavy until 2011. That was a risky move by Chicago though given his recent injuries. At least it’s their cost-benefit analysis, not ours.

50. Roger says:

Did everyone tune out of this game. Gave up.

New kid has a K for his first hitter.

51. Roger says:

New kid strikes out the second guy he faces.

52. Roger says:

Ned is smiling . . . .

New kid just struck out the side.

53. Roger says:

Has Ethier become the new Manny. You can count on him for the key hits . . . hope this is his time.

I have said a number of times — sometimes the closer has to come in, in the 5th or 6th or 7th inning to put down an uprising. Not just in the 9th inning when the damage might have been done earlier.

Now with 2 closer types, Joe has much more to choose from.

54. Roger says:

I hate to say this, but Andy LaRoche had one of the plays of the day on MLB Network. Looked even better than Beltre in his prime.

Let’s suggest to Ned that he put in a bid to Andy’s agent right now for 2011 for $9,000,000.