What a Difference 12 Days Make!

What a Difference 12 Days Make!
I thought you might find the past 12 days quite a contrast.  The photo on the left was taken right after hip surgery on June 23.  The picture on the right was taken today, playing football with my son.  My fantastic rehabilitation can be attributed to Rogers’ Cookies!  Life is good!

Ground Zero to Day 12

19 Responses to “What a Difference 12 Days Make!”

I don’t see any difference. In one photo you are sleeping, in the other you are throwing a dying duck to your son. (I think that ball has already turned over once in flight)

Welcome back.

Now, where’s that edit button.

2. Mark Timmons says:

I still throw a very tight spiral. Now it’s just 25 yards instead of 75 yards.

Beware as your hair turns white faster than a US president’s.

When will the Dodger’s hire a real manager? A real manager does what is best for the Team not one player. Bills should have been taken out after 8 innings. Reduce his pitch count so that he lasts into the playoffs. Bring in Vargas so that he gets rid of some of his jitters before going to a town that gave up on him. Have 1 or 2 others in the bull pen behind Vargas. (Now watch Vargas get bombed in NY) For instance Weaver needs to pitch today or a simulated game tommorrow if he is going to start on the 11th. McDonald is a great reliever that needs work.

Mohawk the Moron

“What do I do know? What do I do know? What do I do know?”

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Planet earth to Joe Torre -

when your closer has thrown 30 pitches and doesn’t have 3 outs, get him the hell out of there!!!

Poetic justice for Mohawk the Moron – It is now an extra inning game so NOW use the LONG RELIEVERS!

This moron must have no memory because he just can not remember that Brox is either lights out or Trash. There is no in between with him.

This game has made me sick to my stomach. We are hitting Billingsley in the 9th inning assuming we won the game, then Broxton can’t find the strike zone. We are giving away games.

Are the umps doing it to Belisario again? I don’t have the game on, but Gameday had 3 of those 4 balls IN the strike zone.

We have a collective 26 LOB. S.D. – 13.

Yep, we are doing our best to give this one away.

“For instance Weaver needs to pitch today” (Ken)

OK, Joe’s out, Ken’s in.

Is it my imagination, or has Broxton abandoned his slider in his last few outings? I believe I saw one slider today (and it wasn’t a very good one). If Broxton finds that he can’t throw his fastball for a strike, why not go to the slider on occasion. It’s been a great pitch for him all year, and I see no reason for him to go away from it now. In fact, there are times he has better success throwing the slider for strikes. Even at 100 mph, Broxton is not going to be consistently effective throwing nothing but fastballs.

I posted the other day regarding the overuse of Troncoso and Belisario, and mentioned Weaver, Vargas, Milton, etc. I totally forgot about McDonald. Of course, Milton is now out of that equation, having now been placed on the DL. Whatever the case, Belisario was back in action again today. Who knows, maybe Torre wants to get as many innings out of him and Troncoso as possible before the All Star break.

I looked at Lannan’s stats, and although they’re OK, it’s pretty clear that he’s a soft tossing lefthander who gives up a lot of hits, and has decent (but not great) control. Pretty much the same look as Wolf, although Wolf probably throws a little harder. Of course, I beieve I’ve seen Lannan pitch only once, so I really have nothing else to go on. Here are his stats:

Mark said, “I think the Nats would take Milton, Stults, Elbert and Lambo for him.” You bet they would. And the Dodgers would likely live to regret it. And if we don’t implode and get to the playoffs, Lannan is not a guy I would feel very comfortable with. Either get someone better, get Lannan or someone else of his ilk cheaper, or stay in-house.

Today’s game was a perfect example of why “soft” hits can be important. The Dodgers had ample opportunities to tack on to their lead today, and failed to do so. A soft hit or two that plated the 7th, 8th or 9th run would have averted what could have turned out to be a disaster. Tacking runs onto their leads is not something the Dodgers always do well, and is part of the reason why the bullpen is overworked. Too many close games. I’m from the school that believes if you have your foot on a team’s neck, you make sure they don’t get a breath.

I’m not one who believes that Ethier has to hit in front of Manny to be successful. As I pointed out in an earlier post, he was hitting over .300 with power prior to Manny’s suspension, when he was hitting 4th BEHIND Manny. Didn’t hit the ball badly today either, hitting his 16th HR and a rocket in the 9th that almost became a game winning hit.

I’m sure Ethier could hit #2, but I prefer having speed at the top of the lineup, which is why I would keep Furcal and Hudson in the two top spots, and consider Kemp for the #3 hole, where his speed, power, and overall hitting ability, all play well. If hitting in front of Manny is an advantage, then it’s the multi-talented Kemp I want to have that advantage. Hitting 3rd in front of Manny just might be what he needs to begin to hit for more consistent power. And with Manny’s ability to split the gaps, it’s Kemp’s speed I want on base in front of him. Also, Kemp’s ability to steal is a distraction to any pitcher facing Manny.

13. Blue Haze says:

Someone forgot to tell the Padres that those hits were soft in the 9th inning, shoot the game was out of reach, so those guys had zero pressure to perform. Those damn soft Padres hits just about killed us.

Geez there really is a reason that there actually are 27 outs for each side in a regulation game, who would have thunk it?

We had 18 hits and left 26 men on base. Bills went after a complete game, left with 5 run lead blew and 5 pitchers later they pulled it out of their butts. Strange day. Strange year really.

Brooklyn I don’t think you are giving Lannan enough credit. He is only 24 and coming off 182 innings last year he is on pace for over 200 this year. A 3.45 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP is really not that bad for a guy 24 years old. He would appear to have a huge upside. And frankly, if I were the Nationals I would not take the bag of mixed goods Mark offered for the reasons I stated. A 200 inning sub 4 starting pitcher is worth a heckuva lot more than a minor league pitcher with history of injury, two journeyman pitchers coming off the DL and a AA player hitting .269. If he were to step into a Dodger uni, his numbers would immediately make him our #2 starter. What does a number 2 starter on a first place team be worth? If he is available, there are a couple of other teams that might be willing to give up more than what was offered here.

I miss our edit capabilities.

It was like deja vu all over again for me in the 9th today. A few years ago the Dodgers has a 5 run lead in SD. Broxton came in and blew it then the Dodgers lost. Sure we won this time around but we have to start making our big leads hold up. Big Game James stepped up to seal the deal. Thank God for that.

Speaking of giving thanks, Thank you for all the well wishes Mark and all of my Dodger brothers here. I really do apprieciate it.Mama and our newest little girl are ready to get out of this hospital and go home tomorrow.

Glad to here you are doing great too Mark (AKA The Hipster). Although I’d have to see that spiral to believe it!?! It kinda looks like an Al Bundy pose in these pictures. Sounds like you will be swiping bases again soon.

Peace fellas and again thank you for the love!

Romo, when you get to the fork in the road, take it. You can’t beat the yogyisms’s…. Hope the family is well my friend.

Broxton may of been too hyped to pitch today after being named to the AllStar team. He hasn’t been that wild all year long except in Spring Training. He seems to do better when he starts the inning instead of coming in after the inning starts. I didn’t like seeing Bills hit for himself in the ninth inning today. He looked like he could hardly get out of the eighth and then went up to the plate with runners in scoring position. I would never give away outs, especially in Petco with a chance to increase the lead. IF we would have lost this game it would have been on Torre this time. Normally I’m behind Torre and feel some in here are too hard on him. However today even Stevie Wonder could have known Bills was done and could tell it wasn’t Broxton’s day. Is it just me or is Joe looking kind of slow and tired? I wonder if Donny Baseball will take over soon?
    I’m still hoping for another pitcher at the trade deadline. A top of the rotation guy would be great but too costly. A strong #2 would do us just fine. Peace

Also, everyone should go to Dodgers.com and vote for Matt Kemp. It would be great getting him on the AllStar team. DON’T FORGET TO VOTE…

Badger,

You may be perfectly correct about Lannan. I really haven’t seen enough of him to have a firm opinion. Stats only tell part of the story, so if the Dodgers did pursue him I would trust that they did their homework, and know what they’re doing.

I doubt if the Nats would have much of an interest in Milton, but might have an interest in Stults, Elbert and Lambo. But none of that matters, since if there is a deal, it would probably include a completely different group of players.

I usually don’t speculate about trades, because there are simply too many players and too many variables to cloud the picture. I simply trust that the Dodgers have done their due diligence, and hope for the best.