We Are STILL The Team To Beat

We Are STILL The Team To Beat

We didn’t get Cliff Lee or Roy Halladay, or for that matter Jared Washborn, but we did get George Sherrill.  Big deal you say?   I am going to suggest that it is bigger than the Phils getting Cliff Lee – here’s why:  The Phillies are heavily left-handed and another solid lefthander on our pen, who can also close, IS HUGE!   In a playoff game, Randy Wolf will be in the pen and lefties might as well leave their bats on the bench when he’s pitching.  Kuo and maybe Elbert will also be in gthe pen, so we are in a position to handcuff the Phillies LH hitters.  Beerleaguer.com (a Phillies blog) says this:

“I keep hearing how the Lee deal makes the Phils the favorite to win the NL pennant, but I say look out if they face the Dodgers this time around. George Sherrill gives them an extremely effective right-left combo at the back end of their pen, and one the Phillies would be highly susceptible to if they had to face LA in a post-season series. I don’t often find myself saying this, but I agree strongly with Sam Donnellonwhen he says that Sherrill is the guy the Phillies perhaps should have spent more time targeting, and that the back end of their bullpen is more likely than not to do them in. It’s now four months into the season: Lidge still sucks, Madson has proven himself to not be a viable backup option, and I surely hope they aren’t counting on Myers or Martinez to be options in those roles down the stretch. The Phillies have one of the best teams in the league, no doubt. But their division makes them look better than they are. I don’t look at them as having a decisive edge over anyone other divisional leader.”

Every team has warts.  We didn’t acquire the best record in baseball without being a real contender.  We had a bad spell – hopefully it is over.  Hopefully, tonight we will resolve Jasondodgers4Schmidts’ situation.    We lost Kuroda (our opening day starter) and Manny for over 50 games each.  They are back, and we should get Wade and Belisario back soon.  Tony Abreu is hot and Doug M. is looking like he’s ready to play.   We have options.  Josh Lindblom is pitching very well at AAA (I told you this Spring he’d help us THIS year).  Charlie Haegar?  Well, I won’t go there, but stranger things have happened!

We are not as bad as we looked against the Cards.  What is important the rest of the way is that Joe rests our young pitchers as much as possible, so that they can be fresh for the playoffs.

Joe has shaken up the lineup a little.  I still don’t endorse it, but here it is:

1. Furcal, SS
  2. Ethier, RF
  3. Manny, LF
  4. Blake, 3B
  5. Loney, 1B
  6. Kemp, CF
  7. Martin, C
  8. Hudson, 2B
  9. Schmidt, P

34 Responses to “We Are STILL The Team To Beat”

Kemp has moved up one slot in each of the last three games (8, 7, 6). Let the trend continue until he gets to #3. The way he’s been hitting lately, moving Hudson to the 8th slot makes sense. In fact, I was thinking just that to myself while watching yesterday’s game.

I have no idea how good Sherill is, having never seen him pitch. If his numbers this year are an indication of his talent, then it was a solid pickup. If Kuo can hold together for the remainder of this year, the bullpen is vastly improved. Wade’s shoulder worries me, so I’m not convinced that he can come back effectively this year. I still have this sneaking suspicion that he’s going to need surgery, either during offseason or before this season ends. If Belisario can come back effectively this year, and Mark is correct about Lindblom, things could start looking up in the bullpen.

Anybody know anything about the status of Choi at ABQ? I know he’s an older guy from Korea that we signed this year, but do not know his current status. His numbers look good, especially for ABQ. I wonder if he’s an option for this year.

Of course, the trading season isn’t over yet. There is still the possibility that significant players will be passing through waivers in August.

With all the talk of Dodger starters not going deep enough into games, lately the problem has been the lack of run scoring that’s kept the pen busy. If Manny starts to perk up, I have a sense that it will be contagious. I wonder if the hand is still bothering him.

2. New guy says:

Via Twitter, Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Padres almost dealt Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers for James Loney, Russell Martin, Blake DeWitt, James McDonald and Ivan Dejesus. Wow.

• Slo Dawg says:

Martin in the deal, if true, may have been the deal killer. We aquire yet another closer and there is no apparent answer to losing Martin..To me Brox in place of Martin would’ve made this better for the Dodgers…Who’s going to handle this pitching staff every day. Torre sure isn’t!

3. New guy says:

Man that would have been a huge trade for us…
    The game would be over after the 6th inning….
    Manny, Gonzalez, Kemp, Ethier…wow man…

If true it is good to know who the other teams want.

I would have done that deal, the Dodgers have never won the world series with a Piazza but they have with a Yeager.

5. Mark Timmons says:

…and a Sciosca and a Roseboro.

• Ken says:

Yes Mark and both of them have had Mendoza years with vaccum cleaners for gloves and brains that Torre never had.

More on Torre –

If you have the correct batters hitting 1 – 3, then Trans Man will hit in the first inning. Since you have no idea how to manage the running game, when to steal and when to hit and run, a base stealer can actually bat in front of Trans Man Tent Pants.

I hope Sherrill is not a codependent fool like some of the other relief pitchers that are locked up for 2-3 more years. Hopefully he will complain when Torre starts to abuse him. Mota is the new abusee, while Troncoso is till on target for 100 innings plus what he threw in winter ball. Finally Good Bye Leach, Hello Elbert. The bullpen can be great if managed properly and it is amazing to think that the #8 pitcher in the bull pen currently is Kuo! That can be a great bullpen if managed properly.

Tonight may be nasty with 2 prior extra inning games and a tired bull pen. Schmidt should go 4 innings even if he gives up 15 runs in order to save the bullpen tonight.

• Slo Dawg says:

Well said Ken…Manny should be batting 4th..Torre keeps saying he wants Manny to bat in the first inning. If your 1-3 hitters are getting on then he does bat in the first inning!! Just an observation…

Martin and Loney almost became Padres. Wow

The TEST today will be whether Schimdt can pitch and chew gum at the same time. WOW

WOW Schmidt’s ERA is now temporarily lower thatn Smoltz’s

10. John Doe says:

No deal. If we had traded James[fav] and Martin it really would have tested my allegiance much like when we traded Mike. Really shook me up. P.S.I didn’t jump ship.

My prediction for Schmidt tonight is going to be like watching the verzion commericial with the kid beating the Pinata with the stick and all the candies falling out. I hope this is the last of this experiment tonight. I do not enjoy games when we have no chance of winning. Sorry it’s just how I feel. Our only hope is that he gets knocked out early and Weaver pitches the game.
    I don’t know how he won the first game back, but I bet the Braves are on him often and hard. I hope I’m wrong…… I will be watching with my hand covering my face. GO DODGERS

12. Mark Timmons says:

Billy,

Take your hand away from your face and put down the razor knife!

Mr. Hardie has done it again!

My crystal ball didn’t see this game coming. I am ordering a new one from e-bay right now. Schmidts curve doesn’t look to bad and he’s throwing it for strikes. Maybe the Dodgers coaching staff knows more then me?????? Wow

Where is Badger? My boy is bangin

Blake runs like a 36 year old man…..

16. Slo Dawg says:

Just got thru watching my co-worker’s nephew, Justn Lehr, pitch for the Reds against the Rockies…Not bad…kept them in the game for 5…

17. Voldomer says:

Who is the new guy wearing #29? I thought that was Jason Schmidt’s number.

I have serious doubts about that trade as listed. I suspect Heyman accidentally left out Kershaw and Kemp too?

Bowa – “I must make all of the old slow runners get embarrassed at home plate to prove to them that I was faster than them when I was 42 and that these old slow guys should have worked out harder in the off season”.

Go Schimdt – His ERA is now even lower than Penny!! WOW

Take your old man glasses off Maddux must be pitching tonight!

19. Mark Timmons says:

That was probably what San Diego asked for and why it was not consummated.

I am ready for a Pierre/Rameriz platoon

Put the relief pitcher in Manny’s spot

21. John Doe says:

Wowser, meet George Sherrill!

Elbert should be warming up – Go Mac

Maybe Kemp should bat 2nd in front of Mr. RBI – Ethier

Maybe the Dodgers grew some ….. during the last 2 games in St. Louis.

Un Freckin Believeible……. Wow

Schmidt must have sold his soul. Un believable start tonight! I will take it smoke and mirrors and all.

For the record: The Dodgers won zero with Piazza and LoDuca and Scoisca. Rick Dempsey caught all 5 games in the ’88 W.S. Scoisca was hurt in the LCS. That is splitting hairs though. As for the Padre deal involving Gonzalez & Bell, Martin is what killed that. Otherwise I might be tempted to go for it.

For those of yo who believe in scouting and projecting farm talent. I heard a scout say today that McDonald projects to be more valuable as a starter thann Billingsley. Go figure. You wonder why he is still here…maybe thats why. He looked great tonight.

• Slo Dawg says:

DRomo….I couldn’t agree more about the Dodger/Padre proposed trade alledgedly involving Martin. As I stated earlier, if indeed it is true, Martin had to be the deal breaker. No way do we end up with Brox, Sherrill, and Bell in the bullpen and have no obvious answer to the catching situation…

As far as tonight I am delighted with Schmidt. He pitched on sure guts and experience tonight. What more could ask of your #5 starter? Bills were you watching??

my bad!! after further review Scoiscia did play in the WS he didn’t catch the final game due to injury.

27. I Miss The 51's says:

There’s just something about this team! I don’t know what it is. Our starting pitching definitely doesn’t match up well against potential opponents in the playoffs. I just feel that there’s something special about this team that goes beyond the stats that so many like to bring to prove a point. I’m a stat guy, but this team has heart and guts.

Romo, I know you’re worried about Billingsley and I understand he’s been less than stellar. I just think he’s going to be our guy come playoff time. He’s going to put it all together and be the guy we know he’s capable of.

I would’ve loved to get Halladay, but not at the price the Jays wanted. Ricciardi is going to get fired this offseason. He overvalued how much people were willing to give up and didn’t compromise an inch.

This team will be fine… just call it a hunch

28. j says:

Anybody in San fran??? Aug 12 game just want t see if anybody going? T.L. Pitching for the giants, and for the dodgers ??? Here’s my email if somebody wants to represent los angeles dodgers! Jaydizel@hotmail.com