Never, Never, Never Quit!

Never, Never, Never Quit!

That was phrase attributed to Winston Churchill, but Jason Schmidt must have adopted it as his mantra as well.  Admittedly, he’s not the same pitcher he once was.  His fastball was 87-89, with 89 being his fastest pitch.  He claims that he can pitch 91-92, but can’t control it, so he backs off a little.  Here’s what Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com   quotes Jason Schmidt as saying:

“If I aired it out from pitch one to 100, I could get to 91 or 92, but when I try to throw harder even a little bit, I can’t control it,” Schmidt said. “So, I have to pitch like it’s an easy bullpen [session]. I don’t like doing it that way, but it’s the only way that works and I’ve been getting people out during the rehab like that and I’m living with it.

“Winning tonight is very exciting. But it’s still a little frustrating knowing what I used to be able to do. I feel like I’m kind of handicapped. I want to challenge hitters with every pitch. That was my intimidation before, that I could blow it by anybody, and it doesn’t work that way anymore. I was a bull in a china shop. Now I have to be cool and collected, throwing breaking balls with two strikes when I used to throw fastballs. It’s like night and day.”

During the first inning, I felt a real sadness for Jason, mistakenly thinking it was a sad ending for a once-great pitcher.  That feeling proved short-lived as Jason Schmidt showed he wasn’t ready to give up yet and then proceeded to show how he can pitch – inside, outside, curve, change, fastball – wild enough that the hitters really didn’t want to “dig in.”  There wereWinston_Churchill_British_bulldog_portrait times I felt I was watching Greg Maddux.  Jason Schmidt will never win 20 games, but he won my admiration by working his way back for two years and then overcoming a disastrous first inning.

I am not ready to anoint him as our 5th starter, but after last night, I would not be surprised if he stepped up and seized the opportunity.  Hopefully, Kershaw, Bills, McDonald and others can learn a thing or two from him.  Jason will start at least one more game, unless the Dodgers trade for Halladay before then.  You know Ned is serious about it when he sends Logan White and Vance Lovelace to scout him.  He’s also looking as a number of other pitchers, according to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times.  I would like to see them get George Sherrill, but according to Dylan they are scouting a number of others.

Jason Schmidt used to blow people away, now he’s pitching with guile and guts, but you have to know one thing when you watch him – this guy Never, Never, Never Quit!  In my book that makes him a winner.

FROM THE I TOLD YOU SO DEPARTMENT - When the Dodgers signed Will Ohman late in the spring, I said he wouldn’t be ready by opening day and was told “he’s a pro, he’ll be ready.”  Yeah, they rushed him and now he can’t pitch.  Pitchers need spring training.  Listen to me next time!

45 Responses to “Never, Never, Never Quit!”

1. Voldomer says:

Ditto on the props to Schmidt. Without a four-run offensive response by the Dodgers in the bottom of the first, I wonder how that second inning would have gone?

2. Blue Haze says:

So Blue Haze was the only one who believed he would get a W last night, and stated it prior to the game. You unbelieving bastards.

3. Blue Haze says:

I think I scared Miguel away!

Mark

DeWitt staying says alot more about Hudson and his permanently soft cast protected wrist then DeWitt.

Ohman needs to take responsibility to caving into the Abuser of Relievers.

I celebratrated last night when I heard that Joe Terres was sent to Inland Empire. Too bad this guy is just a pitcher and not a coach.

Big Congrats to JS for never giving up. Appearantly Miguel could learn from him too.

I am very happy for Schmidty. We got very lucky last night he was getting crushed. I am extremely happy he got through the first inning and settled in. He showed more guts and determination than any other pitcher on this staff by not wilting and totally giving in! But I still think he is a disaster waiting to happen.

JMac looked decent in long relief mode. I still think this kid could be a damn good set up guy. Hell what do we have to lose, by Oct. Torre will have burned up every other set up guy!

Ken ,
    I think you are right about Hudson being the reason DeWitt is still here. Does anyone else get annoyed that Hudson has to touch and feel every player within 10 feet of him when he plays? Dude we get it, you are a nice guy. But you are made of glass so be nice before the game shake hands then keep your hands to yourself and just play the game.

6. Mark Timmons says:

I am going to have to see him again, but he’s “effectively wild” and he’s not afraid to drill someone. He’s not the power guy he used to be, but he’s an intimidator and he understands how to pitch. He is a fierce competitor and those kind of guys are dangerous. Don’t count him out. Age and threachery frequently overcome youth and skill.

7. jaydizel says:

I’m glad Schomt made it pass the 5th, but we were playing the Reds. I only hope he gets better schomt did throw one pitch that hit 91

I don’t know that anyone predicted a loss Haze. Most of us were hopeful, and it did start very badly. I am not entirely sure he showed us he is ready to step up and be a pennant drive pitcher. That one 5 pitch inning saved his ass really. And like was mentioned, I wonder how the rest of his game would have gone if the Dogs didn’t get 4 back in such a hurry. I am happy he got through 5, but, it wasn’t easy. I figured his only real chance was spotting breaking pitches and off speed stuff and, as it turned out that is exactly what he did – in the last 4 innings. 91 pitches to get through 5 ain’t exactly Madduxesque. He does at least have an ERA now, but it’s 5.4. Big step to get out there, but 5.4 won’t help us down the stretch. The next step is to get 6 out of 91, and drop that ERA.

9. Roger says:

The Giants are doing us big favors. They will start to press, because they HAVE to win more than the Dodgers the rest of the season, about 10 more games.

Schmidt was probably worried in that first inning last; Joe and Honey were REALLY worried.

By the middle of the fourth inning, they were all smiling.

Nice lift for the Dodgers. This can build in mucho positive ways across the entire. Manny is back in stride now, I believe. Blake got a great hit.

I wouldn’t say Schmidt looked like “he is ready to step up and be a pennant drive pitcher” He showed us he can have 4 good innings against the freaking Reds. That is all. That is a very good first step but like Mark said let’s see him do it again.

This team should just focus on staying healthy, competitive and improving matchups with playoff teams. We are defiantly going to the postseason we have to be sure we don’t get embarrassed once we get there.

11. Harold says:

Very pleased for Jason and applaud his attitude. However, he knows, as he stated, he has to reinvent himself. He has to pitch like Greg Maddux who did that all his career. Jason must master it in his first season so to speak, if he is to help us. Not impossibe, but very difficult. Like most of our starters be must be more efficient with his pitches.

The Roy Halladay thing probably isn’t going to happen for us. The demands on the Mets by Toronto were more than we would want to meet. We know Chad and Clayton must pitch well for any trade to make much of a difference. Wolf is steady but 50-50 and Kuroda at this time is a mystery. Do we need Halladay or Lee? Would be great but can we survive and challenge with less?

How about a trade for a Pirate reliever, Capps or Grabow, and Zack Duke. Pittsburgh might be an option as they are in a trading mode and building with younster mode. Andy and Delwyn have worked out quite well for them.

Duke is 26, probably a number 3 guy with a good WHIP (1.20 – 11th in league)) and ERA (3.38) with Pittsburgh. He is first in the league with CG and fourth in innings pitched. He has 8 wins on Pittsburgh. He is a lefty.

GO DODGERS!!

Harold,
    I am a big Zach Duke guy. This guy is special and if he pitched anywhere but Pittsburgh he would be a star. Wouldn’t it be something to see more prospects of ours playing in Pittsburgh (i don’t know if I would like that).

I bet Mark would start another blog PittsburghPirateTalk.com or MyBoyAndy&Friends.com.

I think Duke is a great idea. I mentioned it a while back and nobody seemed interested. We know Pittsburgh will deal with us so it would be worth looking into. He is a lefty but so what, he gets people out and that’s a good thing.

It rained here yesterday. 100 and rain. Weird. Reminded me of my time in the midwest. 5 minutes after it stopped raining, there bugs flying everywhere. Very weird. We don’t have bugs. Too damn dry.

Good point Romey. It was the Reds, not the Phillies. But, we all agree, it was a step in the right direction. Sort of.

14. Mark Timmons says:

Pittsburg still controls Zach Duke for 2 more years and the price would be steep, but he could be had. It would take something like McDonald, Elbert, Withrow, Lambo and Bell to get the job done.

Schmidt is either a work in progress, or he’s going to get blasted, especially after other teams figure out all that he has to offer. Perhaps he can re-mnake himself into something that he hasn’t been, but that’s something he likely can’t do overnight. The fact that it was the Reds, and not a team like the Phillies probably had everything to do with his success. Perhaps he can do reasonably well for the remainder of this season (something I really doubt), but he’s definitely not someone who I feel confident will take us anywhere in the postseason. Halladay or a reasonable facsimile is probably what we need.

16. lawdog says:

Schmidt’s fastball was consistently in the 83 to 84 range most of the night–and according to Vinny our gun is 2 mph fast..He did cut loose and hit 87 once on a pich 3 feet ut of the zone and another at 89 which weas outside and over Maerin’s head. But hey! He’s developed a hell of a yakker. Uncle Charlie is going to be hard to hit even though it’s his only ptich. His change up is the same speed as his fastball. It just drops a little bit while his heater comes up with a hit me sign if it’s in the zone.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m not exactly dancing in the daisies over his performance. He’s hardly a huckleberry. Anybody want to guarantee him the major league minimum if he resigns tomorrow?

I didn’t think so. Putch Elbert or McDonald. They’ll get more outs than Jacko Schmidt because they’ve got better stuff and they are hungry. Or stop screwing around and go sign Halladay.

17. lawdog says:

Never have so many owed so little to so few, no nevah! I think old Winston said something like that during the bombing of Briton.

“I don’t even know that Andy LaRoche is hitting .263 for the Bucs with 4 HR and 35 RBI – no idea!” – I like that Mark!!

What I do wonder if Ethier is at .257. 19 HR and 58 RBI and soft, is Precious Andy fluffy?

Anyway I think Mark is right it would take some doing to get Duke. I think it would take alot although they gave away Nate McColouth for peanuts considering how affordable his contract was. And McClouth was/is a stud. Who knows?

19. jay says:

the classic Ned move will be top grade prospects for some mediocre pitcher. I dont get, why not get the dogs bollocks and win now and next year.
    if not, let’s save the tallent and get Ian Snell.

My opinion of Zack Duke is Jason Schmidt with more control right now. He doesn’t have an over powering fastball and throws junk. He not as good as Maddux was at it.

I am beginning to hear that the Dodgers are players for Doc Halliday. That would be just what the Doctor ordered.

I think what Schmidt did last night was wonderful but it was against the Reds as some have mentioned. We have to be realistic about our needs going forward. A lot of balls were smoked last night and there was a few defensive plays that bailed Jason out but again I am very very happy for him. Lets give him a few more starts but truely, is he the guy we want in the post season? This year and next year could be our best chance of winning it all. We can’t waste this opportunity. We can always build the farm back up but letting him go to the Philly’s would probably kill our chance of winning it all over the next few years. I know some won’t agree but just think about it. Do we want to build the farm to stay competitive over the next few years maybe winning the West only? or do we want to win it all? I think McCourt will step up to the plate.

I think we are willing to pay a steep price for Halladay. A steep price but not a stupid price. Kershaw is untouchable but I bet Billingsley isn’t. That is a steep price but worth it if we want to win now.I like Bills alot but I like Doc a lot more. But something tells me Toronto holds onto him, at least til the off season.

If Philly gets him we will be sorry. Either way we will need to add pitching. Kuroda, Schmidt and Wolf could go south at any moment. Every year the REAL contenders try and add arms we should be no different if we want in the conversation.

Whoever gets Doc wins the NL – Dodgers or Phils. He has a no trade clause and will only waive for a Possible WS Ring.

Let Schimdt and Mac pitch tandem all 9 innngs in one game and save the bullpen.

23. Harold says:

I don’t quite get trading either Bills or Kershaw. First, the best way, it seems, to build a pitching staff is to have your own base and add pieces. We have spent years shuffling guys in and out as our first draft pick pitches fell to pieces. Now we have a couple of pieces that are good pieces.

Granted Bills is not Halladay. Few are, but what is gained by letting Bills go? Now we have Bills, Clayton, Wolf, Kuroda,
    Schmidt(?) If we let Bills go we have Halladay, Clayton, Wolf, Kuroda, Schmidt(?). How does that get us there? Doc pitches once every five days. If we can get him without losing Bills we have Halladay, Clayton, Bills, Wolf, Kuroda. In the final analysis, in my opinion, our success rides with Bills and Clayton with Halladay strengthening significantly. If Clayton and Chad don’t perform, we simply don’t there because of Halladay. It is the same with the offense. Our success rides with our young players and Manny as a catalyst. If they don’t perform Manny can’t get us there offensively.

We may have problems staying competitive over the longer haul by depleting our system. Furcal, Hudson, Blake, Manny are all getting older and both Raffy and Hudson are a bit fragile. We are looking at infield problems not too far down the road.

Having said that, I think we do have to go for it but not at all costs. It probably is soon or much later.

GO DODGERS!!

• RoyalDodger says:

For my mind, Harold hits the nail on the head regarding trading starters out of the major leagure lineup. We need to add, not just switch out pieces.

I’m not as protective of our minor league prospects or most of the 40 man roster (minus Kemp). If we want a WS this season, we will have to “make it hurt” a little.

First of all, I’m against trading Bills or Kershaw. Second of all, this is LA and we will get Free agents to stay competitive. We are a big market team. I would never worry about not having someone in the farm system or falling to the bottom of the pack because of the lack of talant on the farm. We built mostly what we have now from the farm so we can’t waste the moment. All we need are a few missing parts to go all the way. That’s what it’s all about boys. Winning it all. A few years from now no one will remember the Tampa Bay Rays bridemaids run last year and Marks success story about them. They will begin selling soon I bet. THE TIME IS NOW.

I am not saying to just give a Billingsley away. I guess what I am saying is if it took Bills to get Halladay (and only Halladay, not Lee or anyone else) I could live with it knowing we were going for it this year.

Winning and having the world know the orginization is trying to win it all is what brings free agents. Look at Boston. When they gave up Hanley Ramirez to get Beckett I am sure some in Boston thought what the hell is that. Hanley Ramirez was a stud! But Beckett is a series changer in the playoffs and I believe that is the same with Halladay. It is just my opinion.

Someone once said “in order to make an omlette you have to crack a few eggs”

26. Harold says:

Yes I agree Bill – go all out to win it now. That does a number of things. Brings in fans, brings in revenue, entices good FA guys, draft picks want to sign, etc. As Royal Dodger says, we can’t protect all of our farm system. A bird in the hand worth two in the bush or however it goes. However, I just don’t want to go back to the past twenty years with an endless string of FA busts – old guys on the way down, overpaid, injury prone. If we are to sign someone, make it good. Doc would be one, costly but good. I watch him pitch a lot and he is a horse, very focused during the game, showing little emotion, just tough. But not much is gained by switching Bills and Doc. At age 24 Bills has 44 wins. Doc had 18 at the same age in his first four seasons. Chad is not completed his fourth season.

I like Zack Duke, not comparing him to Halladay or Maddux. He seems to be a good pitcher, at least his stats suggest it. Just a thought if all else fails.

GO DODGERS!!

Speaking of eggs, how the baby Romo? Are you sleeping at night?

Let me correct my english, How be the baby?

Adding Halladay and subtracting Bills is NOT the answer. The point is not only to add an ace for the postseason, but to build depth on the current staff to get us through the season without killing the bullpen. Adding Halladay to the current staff does that by replacing a #5 with a #1. Adding Halladay w/o subtracting Bills makes us significantly better. Adding Halladay and subtracting Bills only makes us marginally better. In fact, if Bills were suddenly to get hot in the second half, it might not even accomplish the latter.

I also tend to think that Halladay could serve as a valuable mentor for Bills.

I haven’t followed Zach Duke this year, so the only picture I have of him is the Dodgers taking him apart in the past. I could be wrong on this one, but his stats prior to this year are not convincing. Last year a 4.83 ERA and 230 hits surrendered in 185 innings, and in 2007 a 5.53 ERA and 161 hits surrendered in 107 innings. Those are not stats that inspire confidence. But like I said, he’s not someone I’ve followed, so maybe something has dramatically changed.

30. SpokaneBob says:

Can you say Kevin Brown?

When Malone gave him the farm he was going to be the difference maker. Same argument, we needed him to win a short post season series. But if the guy can’t stay healthy, what good is he?

DRomo’s comparison of Becket is apples and oranges. Becket was 26 and had only about 600 innings on his arm. Halladay is 32 with almost 2000 innings.

Buying out Halladay’s no trade clause will be expensive and he may require that his contract be extended. Will he be able to stay healthy?

Having said that, if you look at the free agent starters who will be available this fall, there is no one of Halladays caliber on the list. And after all, it’s just Franks money and if we can get it done with minor league players, he would be the best pitcher we could buy. I agree that he COULD be a difference maker in the post season this year. Ken’s point about Halladay opting for a team that has a good chance to be in the post saeson is probably right on. That gives us an edge if he is willing to change leagues.

Last… We don’t trade Bills or Kershaw. We use money and prospects.

Someone mentioned a comparison between those two and the Koufax/Drysdae combo. I am not saying that Kershaw will ever be what Sandy was (in my opinion no one will ever be) but the two could form the kind of 1-2 punch that we enjoyed back then. I was wondering how Vinny would compare them to Sandy and Don in 1958. Of course Clayton is getting alot more innings than Sandy got early in his career.

So if we can do it under the right circumstances, I hope it happens.

31. Mark Timmons says:

Rest assured that Billingsley or Kershaw will not be part of a Halladay trade. The mere thought of that is insane. We might not be any better for it. The only way the trade is made is if we can get Doc without C-Bill or the Kershawshank Redemption.

32. Mark Timmons says:

9. Wolf 1

33. Mark Timmons says:

Josh Rawitch says:

1. Kuo will pitch again tonight and one more time before being called up;

2. Wade & Belisario both threw bullpens and are doing well;

3. Mientkiewicz is headed to AZ for minor league rehab; and

4. X. Paul is a month away.

Duke is 26 and pitching very well this year. He is first in the league in CG and 3rd in IP. He has a 3.38 ERA and a 1.2 WHIP. Put those numbers on this Dodger team and he has 13 wins. He makes $2.2 mil. Looks to me like he is the perfect pick-up to finish the year. He wouldn’t cost anywhere near what Halladay would and he is a work horse. Who cares if he doesn’t throw 95 mph, he has been getting people out all year.

Mark is right. We won’t include Bills or Kershaw in any deal. Toronto can ask, but the answer is no. I heard rumors that along with prospects, Haap might be included in a Philly deal. That would be a lot more than we would offer and would no doubt get Toronto’s attention. I don’t see why Philly would do that, but, if they do, that’s a nice piece to include.

35. Mark Timmons says:

THE STINKIN’ GAME IS BLACKED OUT HERE.

WHY?

NO ONE CAN TELL ME.

IT MAKES NO SENSE!

36. Roger says:

Blacked out in Indy . . . because the game is in the region. Check all the channels, it will be there.

Somewhere I heard, read, that the deal for H-day would not be with an extension. In in two year he could walk. Then look elsewhere. Not going to give up several good prospects — for a play and walk guy.

What was with that play in right field that Ethier looked at as it bounced before him? Was it in the middle of the sun or what?

what happened to Manny?

BRuss,

The baby is doing great! And No I am not sleeping! :)

Didn’t you say you are an insomnniac? I know how you feel now. Sleep is overrated

Wolf was man enough for a minor retaliation. The Dodgers need Kuo to be the main retaliator. He may be able to defend hinself better than Chan Ho Park.

40. SpokaneBob says:

Manny hit in the wrist by a pitch, Pierre in and xrays for Manny.

9 to 1 Dodgers in the 4th……Broxton needs the night off.

Mark, When the Mariners were playing the Dodgers the game was blacked here on Direct TV because the Mariners were broadcasting on a local channel.

Leach and Vargas need to pitch tonight. Vargas should try to stretch back out for 3 innings.

The Dodger beat up Homer Simpson. “D’oh!”

9 games ahead!!!!1

Torre keeps talking about his favorite Stat which is the worst Stat in the world – number of games above .500. A much more important Stat is % of games played especially with old or injured players.

Hudson – 98%
    Blake – 96%
    Furcal – 92%
    Martin – 90%

Kemp – 99%
    Either – 98%

Will anyone be on the roster in October???

Homer could have sure used some triple plays tonight.
    Yep Rome’s I am up at all hours of the night. Call me..

1. Baseballbriefs.com tracking back Never, Never, Never Quit!…

Baseballbriefs.com tracking back Never, Never, Never Quit!…