Martin for Halladay?

Martin for Halladay?

Bill Shaiken of The LA Times makes a compelling argument for the Dodgers to trade Russell Martin, Lindblom and Gordon (among others) for Roy Halladay.  Russell may want to return to his roots.  it’s worth considering.  I do know that the Dodgers have had scouts at Halliday’s last two games.  This is not going away for now.  I guess I would do that.  Shaiken says that the fact Dodger attendance is down could be a factor in whether the Dodgers will take on more salary.  This trade does make sense in that the Blue Jays could justify to their fans that they traded Halladay and brought home Canadian Russell Martin – he’d be a Rock Star there.

RANTS & RAVESdodgers

• How long until Matt Kemp actually wins a Gold Glove?  I never thought he could play CF on a regular basis, let alone be a Gold Glover, but he’s there.  Not many are better than Matt in CF.   “The Catch” is one of the best of all time for the Dodgers.
  • Andre Ethier has 44 AB in his career with the bases loaded.  He has no Grand Slams.  Matt Kemp has 42 career AB with the bases loaded and has hit 4 Grand Slams.   With the bases loaded, Matt hits a HR every 10.5 AB’s.  Andre?  So far, it’s 0 for 44.  Some players thrive under pressure.  Others wilt!  Does that tell you anything?
  • It looks like Andre is going to hit the 30 HR  I predicted (at what BA?).
  • Matt Kemp is 16th in the NL in OPS – everyone is front of him is a middle-of-the-order hitter, except Chase Utley (who would be on any other team).  That said. we have the best record in baseball and he has over 50 RBI hitting 8th.  You can argue that he shouldn’t be hitting 8th, but how can you argue with the results?
  • Scott Elbert looked like he is ready for the Show…  I think he’ll strictly pitch out of the pen.
  • Stults and Kup both pitched well at AAA last night.  Stults pitched 6 and K’ed 8, giving up 2 runs.
  • I’m having trouble with getting my e-mail at home and so I can’t post Lawdog’s Minor League Reports – I’ll do them all Monday at the office.
  • Kershaw goes today – I’d love to see him go 7 socreless against the Brew Crew.

Could we win with this lineup?

1. Furcal  SS
  2. Ethier  RF
  3. Manny  LF
  4. Kemp  CF
  5. Loney  1B
  6. Blake  3B
  7. Hudson  2B
  8. Ellis/Ausmus  C

Rotation:  Halliday, Billingsley, Kershaw, Kuroda, Wolf

29 Responses to “Martin for Halladay?”

1. Blue Haze says:

Mark, is there a link on this page that takes one to the previous games boxscore?

Funny how some guys excel with the bases loaded and others don’t. Was Kemp’s last GS considered to be soft? He did hit it with the Dodgers already over the hump with two runs already scored in the inning. So was Kemp just getting sloppy seconds? I guess there are a lot of ways to assess Clutch and Clutch–NOT!!! Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad he hit it, just thought I would pose the question. Mark, do you consider that last GS a “clutch” hit or a “soft – gravy-type” situation?

Oh medical update, since you asked, 3 compressed discs: L3-L4 not severe; L4-L5 pretty severe; L5-sacrum severe. Decompression therapy on high-tech, computerized torture rack – 3 times a week. First session made me feel muy bien (that’s a shout out to Gonzo, “where have you Gonz?”) Swimming and walking to get some gentle exercise, hopefully will be the ticket to avoiding serious needles, surgery(ies).

Back to baseball: Manny can still rake!

2. Blue Haze says:

BTW, you are right, Kemp is beginning to become something special in CF. Is he going to be the future Tori Hunter? Nothing a bit wrong with that!

On the Halliday front, unless we have a very serious candidate to replace Martin, you can’t lose him in a season like this one. Trading for big dollar, long-term SP always comes back to bite you in the ass.

Mike Hawk sounds like a righteous dude.

3. lawdog says:

A. J. Eliss is ready on the farm. He’s got a LoDuca kind of bat–high avg, low home run output and he’s great with the glove and throws to second. Martin has been regressing with the bat and has been for two seasons now. Right now, Martin is just slightly above average. Throw him in the package for Halliday and you’re giving up the past for the future. It’s a no brainer.

I’d do it in a NY minute.

4. lawdog says:

When you evaluate a trade like this, rather than looking at the specific personalities of the players involved and the memories or hopes you associate with particular players, you really have to evaluate where we are now and where we will be after the trade if it goes through and ask which set of parameters gives you a better chance to win.

Will you be in a position to make any additional deals to improve if this one is not sufficient to make the nut? Is it likely another deal will be necessary if the answer to this last question is no.

5. lawdog says:

Broxton’s toe could be a lot more serious than we think. This kind of injury to a running back in the NFL has been known to put the player out for the year. Happened to Marshall Faulk in his prime.

I’d do it too.

Small thing guys, it’s Halladay. If he’s coming here, let’s get the name on the jersey right.

Message for Mike Hawk. Beat it.

Wait for it…..

On my way down to Chase Field with 10 of my friends today. Supposed to be 117 in Phoenix today. I wonder if they will close the roof????

Sorry about the back Haze. I got the same thing in C-4 and 5. I also snapped the spinus process on C-7 in a diving accident so I am screwed up from the shoulders up. I think maybe some of you knew that already. Good luck with the therapy. Enjoy the rack.

I got box seats on the 29th for the Pirates/Giants in S.F.. I’ll see if I can’t ask LaRoche if he wants to come back when Blake goes full time in the hot tub. I’ll tell him Bill sent me.

7. Ed says:

Neddy has said on more than one occasion the Dodgers are looking for pitching but that
    statement means almost nothing because all teams are always “looking” for pitching. If
    the Dodgers can pry Halladay from the Jays they should do it short of letting Kershaw,
    Kemp and Billingsley go. I really liked Shaklin last comment “Pitch Halladay against
    Hamels or face Halladay and Hamels on consecutive days, I know what I would rather
    have.

I hope this is serious talk. That is a lot to give up, but it could be enough. Of course Toronto will likely counter to include another top pitching prospect. A Gold Glove All Star catcher is extremely valuable, and being a home nation boy, I would think the city of Toronto would be thrilled. Lindblom and Gordon are top prospects, but they are just prospects. Who else goes?

The race begins between Stults and Schimdt to become #5.

As I said over a month ago – Kemp should be moving up in the lineup just like Beltre did in his last year with the Dodgers.

Finally – 3 long relievers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Hawk

I am sure that your favorite singer is Brittany Spears and favorite song therefore must be “If U Seek Amy”

11. Roger says:

I left home at 4 a.m. last Wed morning for a conference in the mountains of N.C. No TV, no radio, no newspapers. So I got no information on games Wed through last night. I arrived back home a few minutes before midnight last night.

Have read all of the post here that I missed.

Just saw that Broxton is out with that tip-toe thing, for awhile.

1. Saw at the airport yesterday afternoon, that Weaver was starting for the Dodgers — my first thought then was — Dodgers are back to “smoke and mirrors” again. For a team that is leading all of baseball, and has to dip down to pitchers like Weaver and Milton as starters, pure “smoke and mirrors.”

2. Blake DeWitt is really adding to his air miles on this up and down to the minors.

3. Just watched Kemps catch a’all Mays. Great catch. I was going to send the video clip to my college buddy in Missouri, but watching the catch a few minutes ago, I won’t. Why? Jimmy Edmonds, when he was with the Cardinals, made one or two of those catches every game. He would see it as an average Edmonds like catch.

4. Pitching. The Dodgers need a truck load of pitchers. Joe IS wearning them out, one by one. Noticed by the games in the last week or so that the Dodgers are hitting the ball again, HRs and all, but letting in too many runs.

5. Could Clayton win more games this year than C-Bills ???

12. Buddy says:

Anyone knows what happened to Steve Lyons and Eric Collins? From the MLB broadcast, Monday is announcing this game by himself.

I would definitely trade Martin and the two minor leaguers Shankin mentioned but I think Toronto is going to want more. I still think Holliday won’t be traded by the break but that doesn’t meet the Dodgers shouldn’t try.

13. GoNzO says:

Yo pienso… (What up BH) I think I’d prefer Rcky Romero from the BJ’s. Yes he’s LH, but he seems to me from the few times I have been able to watch him that he is taking that momumental jump and becoming pitcher.

Kershaw is now the Dodger’s ace

15. Mark Timmons says:

Haze,

Any boxscore you want can be accessed at the “schedule link” on the Dodgers site – just click on the score:

On Grand Slams: Generally I don’t consider Grand Slams soft because of the significance attached to them, but Kemp’s really wasn’t soft because he looked at the pen and saw Broxton and immediately knew he had to hit the granny to win.

16. Mark Timmons says:

Rumor has it the Jays want whoever takes Halladay to also take Wells. If we traded Pierre (I belive there IS a good market for him now), could we also take on Wells contract? We would have to trade Ethier in the deal.

Martin, Ethier, Gordon, Withrow and Lindbloom for Wells and Halladay. Wells is having an off-season, but a trade could cause him to step it up….

17. Roger says:

Ken, after Kershaw, the rest are a bit iffy. Billingsley should be lights out, but the stats tell a different story.

It was 6 starts ago, that he won a game. Six !!!

In that time he was given up 19 runs in 5 games, IN 34 inning pitched. He has also given up 16 walks.

I echo the need for a new pitching coach.

But I do not think that Torre nor Ned would change a pitching coach in the middle of the season.

18. Roger says:

Earlier today, in the Pittsburgh game. There were runners at 1st and 3rd. Two outs. A fly ball to somewhat deep left center.

The ball was caught, the runner at third base tagged and ran home after the catch. BUT the runner at first base did the same.

Here is the interesting part: the runner from 1st just made it into 2nd safe. And the runner that tagged at third, was trotting slow to home, and really touched home plate after the runner and 2nd slid into 2nd.

If that runner that just made it into 2nd base had been out, that runner from 3rd base would not have counted.

19. Mark Timmons says:

I doubt that the Dodgers would make a pitching coach change since they are #2 out of all 30 major league teams in ERA, barely behind the Giants.

20. Mark Timmons says:

After the All-Star Game last year, Chad Billingsley was “lights out” with a 2.99 ERA. In fact, every year he has better stats after the All-Star Break, but he’s not doing bad. He has a 3.37 ERA and 9 wins. At least he isn’t pitching like Cole Hamels…

I just read an interview with C-Bill in The Sporting News and when asked if the Dodgers might have a duo like Drysdale and Koufax ever again he replied “Billingsley and Kershaw.”

21. jaydizel says:

I’m writing this setting on the can in the 9th.
    We need 4 studs to win the WS:
    Don’t we have them—-I don’t know about wolf. Two, three run games I’ll take, the guys we have now can hold their own, straightup!
    Halladay, sure, whos not going to start. I like what we have but, if they want Martin and Either then, hell yeaaaa. We should have keep Jones well, he’s been my fav since I was a kid, that’s just me, I knew he would rebound.
    I love saying the Dodgers won again, doesn’t that sound good!!!!!
    Peace

22. Roger says:

Mark, you are always quoting things like the Dodgers are #2 in this, or #4 in that. Or this guy is lower than that guy in some kind of formula. Sometimes you don’t look at the numbers but what is happening or not happening on the field.

It that is true, Manny and Pierre would start over Ethier and Kemp in the outfield.

Or that Martin is the best Dodger at spitting on his hands between pitches, thus it the best spitting Dodger on the team.

Many have said here for almost two years or more, that Honey is not getting the most out of Dodger pitchers.

This is the best team by recored in the majors so far this season.
    But there are times that can appear is one of the weakest.

If Broxton goes down for awhile with his toe thing, and then takes a couple of weeks to get back in throwing shape — that is bad.

This team is at least 2 starts short. The pen (don’t tell me what #-number they are in the league in relief) is really weak some games.

This game today did become a bit on a nail chewer.

23. Mark Timmons says:

I doubt there has ever been a pitching coach fired if his team was 2nd in all of baseball.

A thermometer doesn’t tell whole story, but it’s a good start. The same is true with ERA. You say the Giants have better pitching (and they are the best in baseball), but we are second which is one of the reasons we have the best record in all of baseball. The other reason is that we have much better hittng than the Giants.

24. lawdog says:

We won’t be second in the league in pitching for long if we don’t make some adjustments right now! You should never be ahead by 5 runs with 2 innings to go and have serious doubts as to whether you can hang on to the game–but that’s where I was today. Our pitching might still be seconds best in the league but we’re doing it with Kershaw, Bills and after those two, strictly smoke and mirrors.

The Giants will catch our asses if we don’t make some mid-season “adjustments.”

Try Haeger and has fingertip dancer in middle relief?

We couldn’t ask for a better first half. The boys can get a few days of rest and now with Manny back lets lite it up again in the second half. We are only a pitcher away from a championship.
    Go Blue

26. Roger says:

Law to end laws (that is you Lawdog)– I would rather see a butterfly guy start or be middle relief, but the near the end or the very end.

If he is off just one rotation of the ball — walks are all over the place or solid contact by hitters.

Plus, after the butterfly, bring in the flame thrower, and that REALLY looks fast.

I was not sure the Dodgers would win that game in the 8th or 9th innings. The Brewers have lumber and can use it.

27. lawdog says:

Haeger throws nothing but quality starts at AAA. He’s mastered the butterfly pitch. He doesn’t walk batters nor does he give up home runs–which is pretty remarkable for a knuckleball pitcher. With as many flame throwers as we have I think he’d be effective as a starter or set up man. That said, he probably could be a real effective long reliever eating up innings when we have a starter tatooed and don’t want to chew up the entire pen finishing the game and staying close. Plug him in anywhere and let’s see what he can actually do.

I just think it’s a shame when you have a talent this unique being wasted on the farm when he’s obviously ready to go ply his trade at the big league level.

It would be sweet if the NL could WIN a freakin AllStar game. With Buffoons, ahem I mean Buds ” New Rules “, this could prove crucial to Dodger Nation. Just for a laugh, how about that Andre Ethier; can you believe we gave up MB for this slacker. I hate the All-Star break, guess I’ll go catch some Little League games for my daily dose of beisbol. :}

Law Dog

I have been yelling for more than one long reliever all season and now all of a sudden there are at least 3 and Stults and Schimdt will be up in a week or 2. Therefore without a trade there may not be much hope for flutter balls at Dodger stadium.