Let the Speculation Begin…

Let the Speculation Begin…

The Blue  Jays have hung a FOR SALE sign on Roy Halliday, and Dodger fans are clamoring for a trade to be made.  Let me suggest that it’s not that simple, and the price we would have to pay would be the blood of our first-born, Clayton Kershaw!  I will say right off that I would love to have Roy Halliday, but I would NEVER give up Kershaw to get him.  I’d give up a lot, but not Clayton.  Trade discussions would have to start with other prospects.  While Clayton still struggles with too many pitches, he is growing better every start.  Last night, he pitched 6 shutout innings on the road (where he has usually struggled this year).  I watched the New York feed and the Mets announcers were Ga-Ga over young Clayton.  Ron Darling thinks that, as soon as next season, Clayton Kershaw will be mentioned among the Santanas, Hallidays and Billingsleys.  Clayton now has a 3.27 ERA… and dropping.  So, I am saying  NO to trading Clayton Kershaw.

Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts writes this about Clayton:claytonkershaw509

Clayton Kershaw pitched six shutout innings in the Dodgers’ 8-0 blanking of the New York Mets.

• In his past five starts, he has allowed two runs in 29 2/3 innings for a 0.61 ERA with 32 baserunners against 33 strikeouts.
  • Since May 1, Kershaw has allowed 17 earned runs in 72 2/3 innings for a 2.11 ERA with 91 baserunners against 69 strikeouts.
  • For the season, Kershaw has allowed 34 earned runs in 93 2/3 innings for a 3.27 ERA with 115 baserunners against 95 strikeouts.

Go ahead and hold his 5 1/2 innings per game against him if you like.  I’ll not hold my nose at 5 1/2 innings per game of the 12th-best ERA in the National League with more than a strikeout per inning at age 21.

The kid is a phenom. He’s already a top-notch pitcher. He’s close to being a superstar.

I have been preaching the gospel of Clayton Kershaw for three years now and the only way the Dodgers can trade him is over my dead-body!  Some of you guys are so hard on this kid, when like Jon says, he is “close to being a superstar“… he really is!

When I say that the trade is not that simple, that’s exactly what I mean.  Roy Halliday is owed about $22 million for the remainder of this season and next season.  That’s really not bad for a pitcher of his stature, however he also has a No-Trade Clause.  What will it take to have him waive it?  I am guessing at least $30 million – 2 more years.  So again, we would have a 35-36 year-old pitcher we would be paying $15 mil a year.  Sound familiar?  By-the-way, Jason Schmidt took his regular turn last night and pitched 6 innings, allowed 7 hits, 4 runs, walked 1 and struck out 6.  His era at AAA is now 3.95.  He could be a possibility very soon in the Dodgers rotation.

Next, comes the compensation.  What would we have to give the Blue Jays?  Well, they are going to start with Kershaw, but we might be able to get them to accept a package that includes James McDonald, Scott Elbert, Josh Lindblom, Andrew Lambo and someone like Hu or DeWitt. We would not give them our best young pitcher, but we’ll give them what amounts to our TOP 4 prospects.  I want to puke.  However, I would have to seriously think about it.  Would I do it?  I don’t know.  McDonald is the only player on the major league roster, so it wouldn’t weaken us much on that level, but I have visions of Lindblom becoming Roy Halliday!  It all boils down to whether we are willing to  give away some of our future for a shot at it all THIS YEAR?   My gut tells me we should do it.  Something about a “bird in the hand…”  BUT NO KERSHAW!   HE STAYS!   I can tell you this:  The Dodgers can put together the best package for Halliday of anyone in baseball, if they want him!

RANTS & RAVES

• Juan Pierre is living proof that when life gives you lemons, you should just make lemonade.   What an incredible man!  In a day of whining athletes and prima donnas, Juan Pierre is a shining beacon of what happens when you just shut up and play, whenever and wherever they say.  I really admire Mr. Pierre.
  • If you had told me before the season that between Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp, one would be hitting .307 and the other .251 at tghis juncture, I would have picked Kemp at .251, not Ethier.
  • Putting Andre lower in nthe lineup is not the solution, Joe,  Move him to #3 ahead of Manny and watch him shine!
  • Blake DeWitt – You have to love him.  This is aguy who knows and has proven he can play here and he just shuts up and plays – in the majors or at AAA.  I hope we don’t trade him.  The Jays may want him…
  • John Hirschbeck’s strike zone was pathetic last night, not just on the Manny call, but I saw a strikeout of Hudson where the ball was a good 8 inches inside!
  • I think Manny just wanted out of the game anyway.
  • What’s the Over-Under on how many more pitchers Joe Torre can kill?   Wade and Belisario so far…
  • Ben Bloch of The LA Times reports that “two young fans from New Jersey in the left-field stands passed out 400 copies of an 8-x-10 sign of Ramirez’s No. 99 framed by asterisks. Another fan down the left-field line held up a sign that read “Welcome Back From Maternity Leave,” a reference to the female fertility drug prescribed to Ramirez that caused his suspension.”

26 Responses to “Let the Speculation Begin…”

I agree with you Mark, as much as I would like to see Halliday on the Dodgers this year, Kershaw would be way too high of a price. As well as Clayton has been pitching lately, we wouldn’t be gainning too much. I don’t think the Blue Jay’s will be getting all the players you are mentioning and I don’t think Ned would offer that high of a price. It could only be a big market team that could pay his salary so that limits the teams to just a hand full. The Philly’s, Mets, Yankee’s and the Red Sox don’t need him. Atlanta or both Chicago teams maybe. Roy can veto any deal and I don’t know how he would feel about playing in the NL West. It’s fun to think about but the odd’s have to be very slim. Maybe the best way to go is a strong #2 guy that wouldn’t cost Lambo or McDonald. Stay tuned…………..

2. Blue Haze says:

I am a little confused, you lost me, do you really want us to keep Clayton Kershaw, Mark?

The film of the game, especially the above the plate shot, should be sent to the league office. That umpire should at least be sent down to AAA to learn the strike zone (and for punishment). There should be no reason why the league would want to encourage an umpire to call strikes that badly, it’s jsut bad business. Simply an unprofessional job done back there last night.

I didn’t see the for sale sign. I heard a GM say he would always listen to offers but…..

First of all, I don’t know we have the prospects that a deal like that would require. Second of all, what kind of idiot would trade Clayton Kershaw? Not even Jed would do something like that.

Kershaw is on pace for 175 innings, which is about right for him I suppose. If he could throw strikes, he could easily get 200 but, it will come.

Would I do the trade you mentioned above? 5 players? Hell no. We will likely need another arm to support, not a $22 million #1 and not for 5 prospects. If DeWitt, McDonald and Lambo don’t do it, then forget it. That is two Major Leaguers and a top prospect and at this point that is plenty. Let somebody else give their 3 best prospects for him.

Nobody is going to want Elbert. He is another Kuo/Miller and too iffy. Hopefully he gets it back, but if he does, I suspect it will be here. Same with Hu. His star fell but – who knows?

Lastly, I have not heard anyone in here be hard on Kershaw, other than to say he is his own worst enemy. We all know what kind of talent he has, it’s a question of hitting his spots. And that is a problem the entire Dodger staff seems to have. Maybe at 21 he is stronger than I suspect and can get to the end throwing 100+ to get 5.48 innings per start. But I think all of us agree, as soon as starts getting 7 with 100, he is an All Star.

There is just way too much hypocrisy when Torre the televangelist has a “Safe at Home” foundation, to allegedly protect kids from parental abuse and the not-eligble for free agency pitchers in the Dodger bullpen are not allowed to join or in any way be protected from his managerial abuse. The players association should file a grievance against Torre.

If you had told me during Spring training that half way through the season Pierre and Castro would have higher SLG%s than half of the Dodger starting position players I would have thought that you were crazy.

I hope that Pierre is picked to replace Beltran in the all star game

6. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I think you are being way too hard on Torre – none of his pitchers have actually had to have their arms amputated!

;)

It’s sounds like Halliday wants to stay on the east coast according to his close friends so it’s all a mute point. No Birds to Blue here.

Will Jason Schmidt ever pitch for the Dodgers again? Any bets here?
    Also , what is going on with Eric Stults? Any updates.

Weaver needs to stay in the pen. He’s better then Chan Ho was last year.

Will the Dodgers trade for Penny. Ha Ha That ship has sailed….

Maybe we can get Lowe back. His numbers would look very good at #2.

Nope, that ship sailed as well.

I think Joe uses what he knows will work, and if it breaks down, it’s up to the Dodgers to go find another one. Like was mentioned, by me I think, if Vargas and McDonald can get some 7th and 8th inning outs, we should be in pretty good shape.

I sure wish we had more 8 inning pitchers.

Stults went 3 with a 2.67 WHIP on the 4th.

Schmidt has gone 6 twice this month, 8 earned, and 11 K’s. I don’t how much help those two will be. Maybe. Might as well throw Schmidt out there, make it against a last place club and perhaps he can give us 6 a few times this month.

9. Mark Timmons says:

The PCL is a hitters’ league. Thinner air in many parks and not as much bite on the old breaking pitches. If Schmidt can stay healthy and contine to progress (he’s never pitched THIS long), he’ll be up by August 1st and can probably do a decenet job.

10. lawdog says:

We’ve got to Rookies in Ogden who look like two of the best prospects in terms of offense to land in our laps in quite some time.

I speak of Jerry Sands and Angelo Songco. Does anybody have access to some prospect reports (like BaseballAmerica) that have evaluated these two kids? Songco has like 6 hrs in just a few games now and is hitting over .330. Sands power numbers are almost as good and he leads the Pioneer League with a batting average close to .450.

I’d also like to see a real scouting report on Charlie Haeger who has been consistently “very good’ down on the farm. To be as consistent as he’[s been with the flutterball as his primary pitch, he must have an awfully good fastball to go with it. Some bloggers have written that he’s a “fun” pitcher to watch.

Is his fastball a low nineties pitch with late movement that he can command? Anybody actually seen his stuff “live” and “up close”? If for nothing else, he might do well as a set up man for Broxton and his 102 mph fastball that he changes up on by throwing it harder and over the center of the plate.

At this price (see attached story) I say hell yes!! Lambo, McD, Elbert, $$!

Halladay puts us in the driver seat in Oct!
    1. Halladay
    2. Bills
    3. Kuroda
    4. Wolf
    5. Kershaw

The beauty here is all are coming back in 2010!!!

Name me a better staff! Pull the freakin trigger!!!

According to Baseball America, the above names are our 1,2,5,8,9 prospects.

Do we really need to something like this? I am all for adding another good pitcher, but, 5 of our top 10, including 1 and 2?

13. lawdog says:

Based on what I’ve seen on the farm, Bell and Lambo are long shots to make it any time soon, if ever. Elbert isn’t continuing his rise and MacDonald has confidence issues which he may never get over. I’d trade that package for Halladay in a NY minute! They can have Repko and Jones as well.

14. lawdog says:

For the Dogs, the future is now! Get us an Ace and we should have two years in a row to compete here at the highest level. Then replace Manny with another big bopper and keep riding the present. Let the future take care of itself. We’ll need to blend FAs with the young talent already at the major league level. Reload with draft picks while we ride a winning hand.

Lawdog is right! The future is now! How many outfiellders do we need? We have 4 now so Lambo (as great as he is) is expendable if it helps us run at a ring! As for McD and Elbert and whomever else is involved. We have to go for it! Look at it this way: who ever gets him will stand between us and the World Series. Do you want to go up against Cole Hammels then Halladay a short series or say Beckett then Halladay in the World Series? Say what you want about our staff, I like them but I would love Halladay in it. It is go time!!!

Duh, I would do that trade too but is Frank savvy enough to do it? He would have to pony up 30 mil for a 2 year extension to Doc but that could get him a couple World Championships. I’m not sure that he has the assets or if Jamie would even let him.

17. Mark Timmons says:

Frank can do the deal.

Should he?

Lambo and Bell have shots at being VERY GOOD players. Lambo? Think a young Raul Ibanez.

Bell? Switch hitting power hitter who plays 3B. He’s hitting .280 his first year in the same league where James Loney hit .238.

Most scouts project Lambo and Bell as 30 HR guys.

McDonald will be a great reliever, average starter!

Elbert? Who knows? Great stuff – I see him as a closer.

Chris Withrow? Great upside, maybe a #2 (or not).

That said, I would vomit… and do the trade!

18. Mark Timmons says:

Went back to work today.

Decided to work a half day.

10 hours later, I’m back home.

19. Mark Timmons says:

By the way, that trade is not a no-brainer. Logan White has an excellent drafting record and several of the players mentioned WILL BE Stars.

20. Mark Timmons says:

Rick Suttcliffe said that he talked to Halliday today and that Roy had no preference where to go, except a winner!

Looks like Mota will be the next one to have his arm fall off. Thanks Guillermo.

I’mmm Backkkkkk – Mr. Softeeeee

23. lawdog says:

Suttcliffe said he thought Hu would be part of a 3 player package that would swing the deal. Makes me think Rick doesn’t know shat from shinola.

This is a tough one for me, but, I think Mark expressed it. That many good prospects for one guy goes against my better judgment, but, we went through 5 pitchers again tonight so….

This is the year. If they will take prospects, then I suppose I too close my eyes and pull the trigger on that one. Somehow I just don’t believe it will happen though.

Kuroda could have done much better tonight if not for a costly error by Blake – easy double play ball booted and unearned runs follow. Bummer for him, and for the Dodgers as it helped chase Kuroda before 5.

Weird plays tonight. I had Loretta safe at first, but, even with replay it was really close. Not the Dogs night. It happens.

Now tonight Ethier was soft. Swinging at pitches out of the strike zone is something he seems to be doing consistently.

Why didn’t Loney pinch hit for Loretta against Rodriguez?

Matt Kemp hitting 8th is patently absurd. His overall hitting, power and speed need to be near the top of the order. As I’ve noted before, he’s the player I would prefer to see hitting third, with Manny following him in the cleanup spot. My reasons are as follows:

1. Kemp’s ability is wasted at the bottom of the order, where he’s easier to pitch around, and where his speed is not properly utilized.

2. Kemp would see better pitches to hit batting third, especially if Manny is hitting behind him. If anything could jumpstart his power numbers, hitting in front of Manny has to be at the top of the list.

3. When on base, Kemp’s speed would serve as a major distraction for any pitcher facing Manny.

4. Instead of being bunted over to second by the pitcher, Kemp would have more opportunities to run.

I know that Ethier has more than a few boosters that would like to see him hitting in front of Manny. I simply believe that Kemp is the better choice, if only because of his speed.

26. Anonymous says:

this is are time and year!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need this guy