Junkyard Dogism

Junkyard Dogism

Like most baseball fans, I like stats, but there is something I like even more.  It’s something that can’t be measured.  There are guys you would have a beer with, and guys you would go to war with.  They may be the same guy.  They may be another guy.  There are players in every sport who always seem to step up in the clutch,  There are teams who have developed a “culture” of this.  What we cannot quantify is the “Power Of The Human Spirit.”  Some people get lemons and in life and never come back.  Others get lemons and make lemonade.   Some people never, never, never give up!  Others never really try for fear of failure.  Some players are blessed with exceptional talent, other are blessed with exceptional “junkyard dogism.”

The Rockies made the Dodgers look really bad for a 16 innings, shutting them out, but like a bunch of junkyard dogs, the Dodgers kept gnawing until they broke through.  With the score knotted at Gooseeggs, Brad Ausmus singled and the Dodgers brought a fomer All-Star who can’t buy a hit, but who can still run, in to do just that.  Next, they rolled out another former All-Star who also has had issues hitting and Raffy promptly drove Russell Martin home with the winning run.  JUNKYARD DOGISM!  Let’s not forget thatJYDog Dodger pitchers fanned 38 Rockies in the 3 game series – that’s almost 13 a game!  Again, the junkyard dogs did what that had to do to win and when Manny returns we will be sitting on 50 wins.  We are the best team in baseball.  It is what it is.  We are getting one of the best RH bats back on Friday.  We know what that will do for us, but never underestimate the power of JUNKYARD DOGISM!  Junkyard dogs may not be pretty, but they can be pretty effective!   We just took the series form the what was the hottest team in baseball.  I may have to develop a new stat:  “JD-Factor.”

RANTS & RAVES

• With Manny back, I wouldn’t advise Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp to go into an extended slump (you’ve got someone worthy looking over your shoulder).
  • Jason Schmidt followed up his last AAA outing with another good one last night.  He got the win to go 2-0 with 6 string innings.  He allowed 4 ER, struck out 5, but most importantly, he wwalked ZERO.  It sounds like he is getting his control back.
  • Choi is at 1.90 ER at AAA.  In 23 IP, he has 35 K’s.
  • Cory Wade pitched an inning, giving up a hit and a run.  I still say he has arm issues.
  • It’s good to see Tony Abreu back batting leadoff in AAA – can he finally stay healthy?  We know he can hit.
  • In Scott Elbert’s second minor league start, he got hammered:  5 IP/10 H/ 6 ER/1 BB/ 6 K’s
  • Kyle Russell now has 18 HR to go with his 58 RBI at Great Lakes.
  • Mitch Jones has been optioned back to AAA to make room for Manny.  Too bad for Mitch.  He’s a class guy.  Come to think of it, he is a junkyard dog!

39 Responses to “Junkyard Dogism”

1. Blue Haze says:

The Jack Daniels Factor, when Martin had that going last year he was awesome. Someone get that boy a drink, then another, then another.

Once Manny gets his stroke going, his clubhouse banter, dugout antics rolling, this team will get it’s offense re-ignited. I am concerned that Manny doesn’t press too hard to prove himself. He is now older, not juicing and wanting to impress everyone. I hope Torre has enough sense to break him back into the lineup slowly and not play him every inning of every game.

So July 3rd will be our Jack Daniels Factor Friday, so turn up the music, take a few shots of Jack Daniels (I prefer Maker’s Mark), and get this party started in time for the stretch run.

Thanks to Russell Martins pinch running effort and the clutch hit from Raffy we were able to win the series yesterday. Did anyone see Loney not able to score from second on a base hit again yesterday? Poor Ausmus is not a clutch hitter because of it. I think Loney can out run Molina or Burrel but would finish a distance second to all others in all sports except for some Nascar drivers or sumo wrestlers. Well my one day silent treatment should be up today boys so feel free to chime in today. Peace

Haze, Amen for Makers Mark. I will be seeing a few of those this holiday weekend!

BRuss, I hear you about Loney. The dude looks like he is running with scuba flippers on. “He isn’t slow , he is patient” An old coach of mine used to say.

I do feel for Jones it is too bad he hasn’t made it but something tells me he will be back in Sept.

Does anyone think we could go after a Jason Marquis?(Or someone like him) He is in the last year of his deal and the Rockies aren’t going anywhere. I really think a guy like that could be a very good pitcher dow the stretch for us and cost us nothing but $$ & a low level prospect. I still think the move we will make will be for this type of pitcher.

The Rockies aren’t going anywhere? That’s news to them. They still think they can catch us and the reason they do is because of their pitching.

From the Denver Post:

“They know we are a different team now, and that it’s going to be a dogfight until the end.”

“With the success we have had and the ground we have made up (a 14 1/2-game deficit has shrunk to 8 1/2 in a month) we have the opportunity to do something special at home,” Tracy said. “We can be in good shape entering the all-star break and beyond.”

While the Rockies’ resurgence is a great mystery to casual observers, it is easily explained by a single word: arms. The Rockies’ starters allowed three runs in 24 innings against the Dodgers. They are 19-6 with a 3.41 ERA since June 1.”

I really doubt they would be willing to give us the guy that shut us down. Both the Giants and the Rockies are on a mission to win the West and they actually believe they can do it. Imagine that. 8 games back with only a half year to go and they think it’s still a race. Winning a game when you are 8 games back is soft.

I know I just read on the Dodger team site that Jason Schmidt suffered a setback with soreness in his shoulder. And he pitched again? That isn’t soft. Maybe he can actually help this team. You know what would help? Give back the money so we can go out and get a real pitcher.

5. Blue Haze says:

Self-imposed silence, BRuss? Maybe I missed something, at any rate welcome back to world of sound and speech (or should I say text?). You are correct, the slow runners sure can turn a clutch hitter into a hack, at least in the various stat formulas.

DRomo, I think the Rockies feel they are going to make it a race, with the way they pitched against us, if they keep that up, they just might. The boys looked pretty pathetic trying to get a hit this last series, and the few preceding it, as well.

I have mentioned this before, but I am concerned with the lack of production that we have against most teams #1 & #2 STs. While we can survive in the season, it is a whole different story in the playoffs, where you typically see the #1 & #2 twice in a playoff series. I know that someone can produce a stat that says we kick ass on those guys, however, the #1 #2s we have beaten are guys that are struggling with injuries or other issues affecting their genius. Watch out the the giants, their pitching is getting tougher and tougher by the day.

“I have mentioned this before, but I am concerned with the lack of production that we have against most teams #1 & #2 STs. While we can survive in the season, it is a whole different story in the playoffs, where you typically see the #1 & #2 twice in a playoff series. I know that someone can produce a stat that says we kick ass on those guys, however, the #1 #2s we have beaten are guys that are struggling with injuries or other issues affecting their genius. Watch out the Giants, their pitching is getting tougher and tougher by the day.”
    I couldn’t agree more!!! I have been watching the Giants closely. If they can add a legit bat, they will be a serious contender!

As for Colorado I think they will fade. They have been hot of late but in this division and having to leap frog a team like the Giants I don’t think the summer will be kind to them. I may be wrong. My point was that there are some damn good pitchers under the radar out there that could be had. Marquis was an example. Much of the media attention has been on Peavy, Lee, Halliday and lately of Haren. I say the “2nd tier” guys could be just as valuable to a team making a run.

I would have to agree with ya DRomo, one more good pitcher would put us in a great situation to make a big run in the playoffs or the development of Kershaw into this type of pitcher we could trust. Either way, another arm couldn’t hurt our chances. Are we really still waiting for Schmidt again? As C. Badger mentioned, didn’t he have a setback just a few days ago? I’m not sure I’d trust him at this point of his three year contract anyway. He appears to be the type that would shut himself down in order to save himself for next year with the Pirates.

8. Mark Timmons says:

Schmidt’s setback was that his shoulder was a little sore the next day, but he pitched on his regular rotation. I think sometimes a reporter hears “soreness” and assumes it’s a setback. I didn’t mention it at the time because there was no information surrounding it and now it looks like there was nothing to it.

Look, no major league player is going to give any money back. A contract is a contract, but Jason Schmidt has never stopped trying and he has worked very hard. He is in great shape and even if he doesn’t make it back, it’s just been a bad deal, but he’s not a bad guy!

If he can answer the bell a couple of more times, he’ll get a shot by Mid-July which leaves enough time to evaluate whether or not a trade needs to be made….

and, I guarantee that Ned will get a pitcher if (1) a good one is available; (2) we don’t have to give up the farm; and (3) it makes sense.

McCourt didn’t sign Manny, O-Dog, Blake and the rest of the FA’s to not try and win THIS YEAR!

We have as good a change of winning it all this year as anyone.

9. Mark Timmons says:

It also looks like AJ Ellis is going back to AAA and Claudio Vargas is coming to the big club!

I guess Claudio deserves at least 1 shot again.

Or not…

I don’t like it!

I hope you are right about the Rockies Romey, but I have always felt they were too good to be just a .500 team. The Giants pitching is scary, but a few of their young position players are surprising. I hope they are the ones that fade. I don’t want to be facing that staff late in the year with the division on the line.

I suspect we will find our pitcher on a team like the A’s. Beane has been a good trading partner for us as they seem to like what we have on our farm. This is the reason I suggested Braden. He seems to be coming into his own and has gotten better each year. He is young, and he will leave Oakland first chance he gets. He is left handed, but, that doesn’t bother me. He gets people out.

So much depends on what happens in the next 3 1/2 weeks. Looking at the A.L. only, figuring which teams will fall out of it there are some interesting pitchers that could become available. Of course we have Cliff Lee (I don’t see us outbidding others) and from the Mariners Washburn. I also am interested to know what you guys think of Toronto pitchers Rickey Romero (from so cal) and Scott Richmond. In K.C. Meche makes too much for them, but is he worth it to us? Brian Bannister anyone?

As teams fall apart or get better this month, the scenary will change. Who knows, we may decide to stick with Milton, Weaver, Stults and Schmidt.

It seems like we all agree here. One more pitcher at the right price puts us in great position for Oct. I have reservations about Cliff Lee. He was great last year and is very good, but it wasn’t that long ago he was sent down because he lost his MoJo. The year before last he spent time finding his delivery in AAA. That doesn’t mean he is bad but I wouldn’t pay the same price I would normally for a reigning Cy Young winner. Maybe thats just me?

Mark said it best that Franky and Ned positioned this team to win THIS YEAR! Sure we will have a good core back next year but this is the time to go all in. If not we will kick ourself for the next 20 yrs wondering if 1 more guy would have put us over the top!

12. lawdog says:

Bring up the knuckleballer and see what he cn do… He pitches “quality start” after “quality start” on the farm and doesn’t seem to walk too many hitters…I ‘d like to see a guy with a good major leagure fastball mix it up with the major league dancer–the ultimate changup.

Ot you can go the Broxton way and find a group of guys who change up on their fastballs by throwing harder. The” Brain Dead Heavers” we called those guys back when Valenzuela and Lasorda ruled the game. Included Howe, Stewert, Neidenfuhr and aother aI can’t recall.

Or do what Roger Craig didwith the Giants and get everybody to throw splitters. It’s the easiest change up to throw and virtually impossible to hit if you start it below the belt buckle and it snaps down around the ankles. It’s thrown from the same slot and arm speed so you don’t have to worry about giving up the pitch before you throw.

A circle change that doesn’t drop at least 12 inches and dart away from the right hander if thrown by a right hander is a gopher ball. It’s hard to throw it with the same arm speed as a fastball without slowing down the fastball because the grip is so awkward and different that the fastball grip. The splitter is a natural pitch for a fast ball pitcher. Why don’t more pitchers throw them> Roger Craig and Dusty Baker turned some loser pitchers into studs by teaching them that pitch. Kershaw has thrown 2, exactly 2 good change up which got his strikuots. Most of his few attempts at the pitch come in like a straight “hit me” fastball at about 84. Teach him the splitter, or better yet, the forkball since he has those long finger’s like Sandy. The forkball is just slower than the splitter and rolls off the table like a curve–but in the opposite direction of the curve. Teach him both. He could change up on his fastball and his curve.

Stults, Milton and Estes for Lannan. These 3 would be the # 2-4 starters for the Nationals. Yes the Nationals are that bad. Lannan could stay or be part of a deal with propects for an Ace.

Talk about a junkyard dog, this guy has gotten better each year and the 2nd time that he has pitched against a team this year he has pitched better. Who does that?

Romero would be just what the doctor ordered but he’s pitched to well to get him cheap now. Got him and Richmond on the fantasy team.
    I like Jason Marquis also however I’m a bit leary about the first pitch strikes down broadway. Some teams will be first pitch swinging and knock his doors off. Once he gets ahead on the count, his sinker makes hitters look foolish. Jason Schmidt may or may not be a nice guy, I don’t know him but we’ll find out if he can give us a few months for Frank’s $47 million duckits or shut it down hoping for another contract next year. That will tell me what he’s like.

Or if Jason Schmidt resigns with the Dodgers for $1 next year. That would show me something.

Just a thought: MLB Homeplate just had an All-Star coversation regarding outfielders for the NL. Here is what they said:

Starting should be: Ibanez, Braun and Beltran they would replace Beltran/Ibanez due to injuries with Upton &

They said they should pick 3 reserves: Rowand, Dunn, and either Matt Kemp or possibly Juan Pierre!!!

So my question to the group is should Pierre get in? I say yes for a couple of reasons. He is playing his ass off and as hard as Dodger fans were on him he has totally redeemed himself to me. He plays the right way and even though he is not very good in the outfield, he deserves it in my eyes. As a anti-Manny vote I would hope the coaching staff and players see it as a fitting tribute to a player that shows up everyday to vote JP onto the squad.

I know it is not the best rationale for voting a guy on, but it would be a greta tribute to Juan Pierre! Long live JuanPierrewood!!

It might also bust up the trading value….

18. Blue Haze says:

JuanWood sweeps the nation!!!

Pierre has played well and may indeed deserve an AS look. They might just do that to stick to Manny.

We JuanWood, We JuanWood, We JuanWood!!! (New fan chant in left field line boxes.

I’m going to Petco tomorrow night. So the real question becomes, Should I wear my Dodger Shirt and Hat? I hear the SD fans can get crazy……

20. Blue Haze says:

Go for it BRuss, they can’t eat ya! It is like most California Ballparks, so many people that used to live in LA/SFValley and now live down south, you will see plenty of Dodger Blue. REPRESENT!!!!

BTW, “you lucky, lucky bastard!!!” — Life of Brian – Python

Ron Artest is signing with the Lakers???? I guess Ariza must have pissed off Mitch.

I hold up a sign tomorrow night that reads LA DODGER TALK.COM

Where did the edit key go?

23. Blue Haze says:

Do you know where you are sitting, BRuss, I’ll keep an eye out for the sign.

It sounds like the money is the same for Ariza or Artest, and Ariza can’t get anymore by signing with the Rockets. All things considered, I’d rather have Ariza any day over Ron Artest.

24. Mark Timmons says:

Trust me. Ron Artest is a head case.

25. Mark Timmons says:

My edit key is right beside the time.

26. Blue Haze says:

Ron Artest a headcase? Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Now what in the world would ever make you say something like that?

Artest is a nut, but the dude can ball when he wants to. Can Jackson hold him together like he did Rodman? We’ll see.

Back to the Blue here… BRuss you are a lucky bastard! I go in full Dodger attire (hat and shirt) & definately the LAdodgertalk.com sign!! I would bet $$$ there is a 60% Dodger crowd. Bud Black has said he expects it to be a Dodger friendly crowd. Whats the over-under Manny goes yard tomorrow night?

28. Blue Haze says:

What’s the over and under on Manny being on HGH? (He had to find a suitable alternative to his “supplementation” plan)

Manny’s clean. He doesn’t need that stuff anymore.

Artest or Ariza? I’ll take Artest, his offensive numbers are clearly better and he is a superior defender.

30. Mark Timmons says:

There are certain things that I cannot speak about. One being what I personally know about Ron Artest, because he is a customer of our company and anything I gathered there is not for publication. However, I watched him tear-down a championship caliber team in Indy a few years ago. He is a very good player and plays all ends of the floor, but he is a lose cannon. The Lakers know what they have in Ariza – you never know what you’ll get with Artest. The stories I could tell…

Maybe Phil can control him, and he has mellowed, but it’s a huge risk.

That said, Artest is not a BAD guy!

If he is not a BAD guy, then how could he possibly tear down a championship caliber team?

I have never really liked him as a person because as you say, he has been a loose cannon. But he hasn’t had many “incidents” lately, and his ability on the court is unquestioned. This is the Lakers we are talking about. It is different there. If they decide they would rather have him than Ariza, that tells me all I need to know.

32. Mark Timmons says:

Here’s why:

Off the court, he is a good guy, but he plays with this persona on the court and with an edge that you JUST know will rear it’s ugly head, soorer or later. You can count on Ariza, but when push comes to shove and someone pushes the envelope with Artest he will return to the “stands” and you will lose him for the rest of the season. I love his game. The guy is a nice guy in many ways. He has begged the Pacers to take him back – said he’d play here for less – he lives here – loves the community. The Pacer have learned – you cannot count on Ron Artest. Fool me once… Shame on you…

There came a point where EVEN Phil didn’t want Rodman….

33. Blue Haze says:

Does Artest own a junkyard dog?

Artest has been a good citizen for the past two years and helped carry the Rockets into the second round of the playoffs last season. He averaged 17.1 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists for the Rockets in 2008-09.

Pau, Odom, Artest, Kobe, Fisher – with Brown, Farmar and Bynum off the bench. Wow. That is one strong team. I think Artest would behave himself on Kobe and Phil’s team.

CBS: Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the ‘08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

“I want to come help you,” Artest said. “If I can, I’m going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title.”

I think this is really cool. This is a team that is immediately the favorite to win it all.

Warning ROGER DO NOT READ……………………..
    Phil Jackson needs to coach 3 more years now because no one else can handle Artest. I wonder if Trevor Ariza wanted more of the spotlight? MY opinion is Ariza is younger and may develop into something very special but currently Artest is a better defender and 3 point shooter. If the Lakers resign Lamar Odom, watch out 2010 champs.
    We’ll have to see what Lamar wants. More of the spotlight also or another ring? I’m not sure if Lamar is totally on board with being the 6th man. Shannon Brown hopefully resigns also because Fisher is losing a step. We need that 3 guard rotation with Fish, Farmar and Brown. Oh ya Go Dodgers

C Badge,
    Odom has been the sixth man with Bynum starting….

I know.

I am just saying what I would do.

Odom is more of an offensive threat and brings more to the second unit is what Phils thinking is. Bynum always tends to get himself in foul trouble and Odom ends up with the first unit most of the time anyway. Bynum needs to figure out how to play without fouling. I’m tired of watching Bynum cry after fouling never thinking he did anything wrong and all refs are out to get him. Pau Gasol needs to show him the ropes.

I don’t see how you can go wrong with any rotation you set up. In my opinion, Bynum isn’t ready to start in the NBA. Like you said, he is in foul trouble and on the bench before the first quarter comes to an end. He is young. Let him learn the low post and earn his way into the starting lineup.

In my world, a front line of Gasol, Odom and Artest will give everybody fits.