It’s Time To Sell The Farm!

It’s Time To Sell The Farm!

With the addition of Cliff Lee, the Phillies became the odds-on favorites to win the NL.  The Cardinals have improved their hitting with the additions of DeRosa and Holliday.  This simply means that there is one less buyer for Doc Halladay, now that the Phils have Cliff Lee.  “When you have a chance to win today, you take it and worry about tomorrow later” according to no less an expert than Earl Weaver.   It is now incumbent upon Ned Colletti to acquire Roy Halladay.  Cliff Lee (last years’ AL Cy Young Award Winner) was acquired without any major league players being involved.  The market has been set.  Ned needs to send this list to the Blue Jays and say “Pick Four”  any four players (if the Jays demand more, give them 5 players):

• Scott Elbert
  • James McDonald
  • Josh Lindblom
  • Dee Gordon
  • Josh Bell
  • Tony Abreu
  • Andrew Lambo
  • Chris Withrow
  • Kyle Russell
  • Eric Stults

With a Rotation of Halladay, Kershaw, Bilingsley, Kuroda and whoever is left for #5, we would be playoff ready.  halladay-large-754533

Joe Torre also needs to get off this funky idea that Matt Kemp needs to hit 8th and that Casey Blake is the incarnation of Babe Ruth.  Casey Blake is what he is – he should be at the bottom of the order.

Tonight, our “Emerging Ace” Clayton Kershaw tries to stop the bleeding.  Insofar as how we are playing right now – Don’t Worry!  This will pass.  We can play with the Cards.  This is just the preliminary test.  We’ll be ready for the big one.  The key word is “DON’T PANIC!”

I’m not going to print the lineup.  Kemp is at #8 and I refuse to post such garbage!

32 Responses to “It’s Time To Sell The Farm!”

1. New guy says:

I agree 100%….

2. New guy says:

Philly’s staff is set for the playoffs..and they still got that line-up….this sucks….man we really need Halliday, but ive been a fan too long to know were not gonna do anything big…

3. I Miss the 51's says:

Mark,

I want to know what you do if you offer this to the Blue Jays and they say unless you add Kershaw or Billingsley, then there’s no deal. Everyone makes it seem like we offer any four off that list and the Blue Jays will jump on it. They didn’t jump at what the Phillies offered and they offered a lot of their best prospects and a good pitcher in their rotation.

What if they insist on Billingsley or Kershaw?

Not so sure I like Dee Gordon being on that list, because we’re going to need a speedy shortstop who can hit in the not too distant future. And I’m not sure Ivan De Jesus’ future is at short. It could be 2B. But then again, I don’t know who the Dodgers might be stashing in the Domincan Summer League, nor do I know if they’re planning on using some money to make impact international signings. A lot depends on how much depth the Dodgers perceive that they have at various positions throughout their system. It also depends on their intentions with respect to re-stocking the system.

As for moving Kemp up in the lineup, you’re use of “funky idea” is probably the best description I’ve heard. Quite frankly, it’s INSANE. I believe someone mentioned earlier the difficulty of getting through the heart of the Cardinals lineup with Pujols, Holliday and Ludwick, and compared it to Manny, Ethier and Blake (I might have a player or two wrong). But replace Blake with Kemp, and I like the Dodgers better. Of course, as I’ve noted before, I would prefer Kemp, Manny, Ethier.

5. Roger says:

I was reminded of something that is true, tonight, on MLB.com TV.

The post-season is won, many times, with the team that has the best bull pen.

Ned needs to take care of that as well.

6. SteveM says:

So much to say yet so little time… let me get right to the point: Ned Colletti is a flaming idiot if he gives up either Bills or Kershaw for Halliday. Having said that, I agree with the “empty the farm” theory to get him. The Toronto GM is playing with himself if he thinks he’s going to get what he’s asking for in exchange for Halliday.

I would sit him down, look him straight in the eye, then hand him a list of: Elbert, McDonald, Lindblom, Leach, Sartor, Schlichting, Garate, Withrow and Martin (Ethan, not Russell). Then I would tell him he can pick four players from the list and finally a minor league stick – anybody, Lambo even.

If this doesn’t make the deal work then it isn’t going to get done.

And YES! Torre sucks in managing a pitching staff. The bullpen in particular. He’s already killed the arms of Wade and Bellisario – who’s next.

The Cardinals will win the Central and sweep this current Dodger team in the first round. The Phils will sweep the Rockies. Watching the Phils and Cardinals will be a real baseball treat for the fans.

It is time for Frank to prove my $$$$$$$$$$ comments from a few weeks ago to be incorrect!!!

8. Mark Timmons says:

I Miss The 51′s,

No way Kershaw or Billingsley are included. We might be stronger, but barely! That makes no sense!

9. John Doe says:

With the way the Pirates are dealing, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a few of their relievers or even Zack Duke coming on board, I guess Andy is their franchise player now. Don’t give up men, only losers give up.

10. SteveM says:

Here’s a name no one is mentioning: Ben Sheets. The word is he’s working hard to get back for next spring training. Maybe with a little patience and cleverness, we get both Halliday (this year) and Sheets for 2010.

I can see the rotation now: 1)Halliday, 2)Billingsley, 3)Kershaw, 4)Sheets and 5)Kuroda.

How’s them apples? Anyone?

11. Roger says:

Listening to Lyons and the other guy — is like listening to the Giants TV broadcasters.

Truly dull. “A base hit . . . his arm hurts . . . no one has to make a decision right now . . . if the post season were today – I would pitch Billingsley . . . he is the Act of this staff . . . ”

After the Dodgers scored their gift run. The next inning Lyons says, “The Dodgers can breathe easier now after scoring that run.”

Did he not see the game last night?

12. John Doe says:

Who needs an Ace? Now you know why they wanted Clayton.

13. Roger says:

I really wish that Russell Martin could get his hitting stroke back, like he use to be. Just Russell hitting in key situations would make the Dodgers the real threat they should be.

The ballpark in St. Louis has been so quite all night, are those cardboard fans sitting in those seats.

14. Mark Timmons says:

It seems to me that Martin is trying to pull everything. He can’t be that stupid…

Can he?

Until we can score a runner from 3rd with less then two outs, we will continue to lose games. It’s frustrating watching a small ball team not know how to play small ball. The Dodgers need Halliday , Washburn or Duke. Preferably Halliday.

16. Roger says:

Maybe all three.

17. Wil says:

“and whoever is left for #5″

Umm, I know Randy Wolf changed his number, his timing and even his pant legs, but since when did he change his name to chopped liver?

Mark

Any news on Elbert? He was scratched tonight.

19. LADODGERDAVE says:

if i watch any more of this game im going to have a heart attack…………

20. Roger says:

Time to take the Monty outside to pee on the grass. I will tell him it is Busch Stadium.

More On Torre – Either 0-4; Loney 4-5; Loney hits on the Road, Either hits at Home. Nnow all you have to do is change their names in the lineup when you go home and when you leave home! Maybe your 80 year old bench coach can remember this.

Now for the 15th time this year More On, Broxton has no control after 3 days rest. Just tie a string around your little finger made out of your plugged hair and maybe you can remember this.

Martin should bat 8th

Casey Clutch Blake is not a clutch hitter because Manny doesn’t know how to get a lead from second base and run when the balls hit. SHIT

Bowa constructer the blood vessels to the Brain – Do not send the runner when the next batter is 4-5 and hits way over .300 on the road and leads the team in RBIs.

Law Dog

Maybe you are correct re Heager. His road ERA is 2.61 and pitching in ALBA does not really count. 4 complete games and threw 137 pitches tonight. He might solve a number of issues.

Giants add another good offensive player. Dodger do nothing.

DO not send the runner? Are you serious? Or is every coach and idiot

Two outs and your off with the swing of the bat and you stop at 3rd?

Killing me sofly with that swing killing me softly

? Ken your the stat man. Hold the runner at 3rd for a 3 out of 10 chance on deck?

I fire you if your the coach. WOW

It wasn’t just lack of control that killed Broxton. Poor pitch selection against Rasmus. Ludwick got his hit on a hanging slider. The count to Rasmus was 3-2, so Jonathan goes after him with another slider, of the hanging variety. It should have been clear to him (or Martin) that he didn’t have his best slider tonight. A fastball would have been a better choice. And it’s not second guessing. I kept hoping he wasn’t going to throw another slider.

Martin’s wild swinging has been going on for too long. He’s either stupid, stubborn, or just plain clueless. Runners on first and third, and he swings wildly at ball four, which would have loaded the bases for Matt Kemp. It’s time he got himself under control. Maybe hitting 8th would help. He hit well in that spot when he came up in 2006.

The team can’t score, and Kemp keeps hitting 8th. BRILLIANT.

31. Joseph says:

For everyone complaining about the pitching, that has not been the problem the last 3 games it has been the hitting. But regardless, who cares how the Cardinals view the series, yes we are playing awful, but we are still up 7 games and seeing that we are making the playoffs I care how Billingsly is pitching at the end of the season along with Kuroda, how about of Kuo looked tonight, that will be a big help. It matters how we are playing in October not July, ask the Cubs, you all need to relax it is a long season.

Keep the farm, they will be the players filling in the for the ones that are on the team now. I don’t trust Colletti to make a good trade I am sorry, I don’t know about all of you but there is nothing worse than seeing players that used to be Dodgers beat us up and remember we got nothing for them, by the way Carlos Santana is slugging over 500 and has 19 home runs, I know Mark was quick to mention how he was off to a slow start, but there you have it. This is becoming more relevant especially with how awful Martin is playing.