Grunts & Groans

Grunts & Groans

aka/Rants & Raves

• Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts presents the same argument about the Dodgers starting pitching as yours truly (except much more eloquently).
  • GREAT Column by TJ Simers - Simply outstanding!
  • Charlie Haeger gave up a 2-run HR in one inning last night in the AAA All-Star Game.
  • Have Ausmus or Martin ever caught a knuckleballer?lindblom-josh-lg
  • Ken Gurnick on the second half…
  • Kensai at Memories of Kevin Malone makes a good case for how valuable Russ Martin really is.
  • My 1st Half MVP – Matt Kemp!
  • Tonight – Randy Wolf vs. Wandy Rodriguez of the Astros (8-6 with a 2.96 ERA).  He is s a tough Lefty, so I would stack the lineup with right handers:
  1. Raffy  SS
  2. Hudson  2B
  3. Manny  LF
  4. Blake  RF
  5. Kemp  CF
  6. Martin  C
  7. Loretta  1B
  8. Castro  3B

Just my opinion

42 Responses to “Grunts & Groans”

Trading for Halliday costs too much. Doing nothing costs even more, a wasted season.

Much to my surprise when turning on the Dodger flagship radio station AM 790, knowing that no Dodger game would be broadcast, what do I hear but the absolute opposite of the McCourt family political views. Don Imus, Doug McIntyre, Joe Scarbourgh, Sean Hannity, and Mark Levin.

This provides additional evidence that Frank only cares about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2. Blue Haze says:

Run a firm, correct Ken? Just wondering what you might be in business for, since profit would be silly and out of the question.

3. Roger says:

Gee, if Frank is going that far — I might have to become a fan of another team. There is only so far I am willing to go on that issue.

4. Mark Timmons says:

I can tell you that the Dodgers have scouted Halladay’s last 2 starts and will scout his Sunday start. There will be no movement on that front however, unless they will open talks without insisting on a pitcher whose name begins with K. I would not do that, Ned will not do that and McCourt will not do that. Now, if they want to talk about some other pitchers, then Ned will pull the trigger. Frank has given him the green light to spend the money, even though attendence and revenue is down this year. We know that attendence is down about 3,000 a game, but revenue is down much more, as people are not spending as much at the Stadium.

5. Mark Timmons says:

That said, the RedSox do not want the Yankees (or anyone else) to become the World Series Favorites, so it is rumored that they will offer Clay Bucholtz, Lars Anderson and Casey Kelley for Halladay. Those are all TOP 50 prospects!

If the RedSox do that, no one else will get Halladay.

6. Mark Timmons says:

Baseball America has Carlos Santana rated as the #7 Minor League Prospect and say “Hard to believe the Dodgers gave up Santana—a switch-hitter with power and defensive ability—a year ago for Casey Blake.”

ooohhhh, I thought Baseball America was going to say they couldn’t understand why we gave LaRoche up in the Manny deal.

“but revenue is down much more, as people are not spending as much at the Stadium.”

Payroll is down more than 17% from last year.

The McCourts and the Dodgers are doing just fine thank you.

We would still be in first place is Harely Hiffcapippy was playing 3rd base for us.

9. Harold says:

OK, Ken please explain it to me. That is, Mr. McCourt is only interested in $$. I live on the east coast of Canada so my view is from very far away and collected mostly from the print or net media.

Mr. McCourt has provided more than enough payroll to build a competitive team, IMO. We all know that winning teams are rarely built by buying big buck free agents. Our Dodgers demonstrated the folly of that stategy for 20 years after the 1988 series. Endless dollars is not the answer.

Major renovations have taken place at Dodger Stadium with more to come. A new top notch ST facility was developed in Glendale. The team is heavily involved in community projects in LA which promotes the team and builds an even bigger fan base, Mr. McCourt brought Tommy back on board and is very cognizant of the Dodger history, He is incorporating that in future plans for Dodger Stadium. He has stated his intention to develop a team with long term competitiveness.

Should he make a profit? I would say so as most folks expect in any business. Should he spend wisely in difficult economic times? I would say so. You say the broadcast on AM 790 provided additional evidence Mr. McCourt is only interested in $$. What is the other evidence?

10. SpokaneBob says:

Don’t trade for Halladay…..he is almost worn out. Not that he can’t still be effective, but he is at the stage of his career that his body will start to break down.

Ken,

I also don’t understand your post. The 5 radio guys you mentioned are not the same politically and I don’t get the connection to Mc Court. I think most of us would agree that Mc Court is a big improvement over the Fox ownership.

Attendance is down 4,000 people a game? Now I am sure a lot of that is the economy. I said in the off season it would be. With the average cost of a game for a family + parking and a dog for everyone about $150- 200. Most folks will just assume watch at home or limit there trips to the stadium.

But the second thing to remember is the marketing dept. of the Dodgers bet the house that Manny would be here. At the beginning of the season it was Mannywood this and Mannywood that. Manny was the “Mayor of Dodgertown”. You bet just as Manny boosted attendance last year he will cause a perk in attendance now that he is back.

Lastly, Hell yes McCourt will spend money to help win. Why? Because he now knows that going deeper in the playoffs means added revenue!! Home field in the first 2 rounds means more home games! CHA-CHING!

Attendance is down 2700 and we are again third, this year behind the Yankees and Philly. Last year we were third behind the Yankees and the Mets. And, we are still on our way to over 3.5 million in attendance. We should do even better with Manny back in a heated pennant drive.

I didn’t understand Ken’s reference to political views either. The McCourts are multi-millionaires, they are obviously Republicans.

If I am betting man, which I am not, I say we don’t land Halladay.

13. mark says:

I am willing to bet that revenue is down
    more than payroll – teams get revenue from away games gate receipts and concessions too!

Mark, attendance at home is down 4.8% and on the road it is down 2.5%. Payroll is down 17%. A smart guy like you can do that math.

Yeah, I would guess people are spending less at games, but I have no idea how much less. I would think t.v. revenues are the same, but since I didn’t look it up, I don’t know for sure.

Again, we are on pace to draw 3.5 million+. The franchise is worth considerably more now than when mcJamie bought it.

There is no way I am going to feel any pain for the McFrankie’s. They are doing quite well and a race to the play-offs will put huge smiles on their faces.

McCourts are liberal Democrats who apparently care more about money than who they associate with, an uncommon trait among the liberal elite. Bring back the social philisophy of Tip O’Neil.

The Dodgers have one of the oldest stadiums in all of baseball and you can bet that in 15 years Dodger Stadium will be the oldest park in all of MLB. Unless of course McCourt gets some of that stimulus money.

Last year’s cash flow strategy certainly shows the importance of current cash flow over long term profitability. The 2009 trading strategy may be different than last years but I will hold my breath until that actually happens. When trades happen in the future look at cash versus value and see where the deal falls.

Current Cash flow does not always equal value or long term profitability.

16. Roger says:

Badger, you said: “I say we don’t land Halladay.” I agree. In the end, I think the Dodgers will get a middle of the road pitcher, that will not cost a lot in player value from our end.

Someone more than Weaver, Milton, etc. It is not for the post season, but just to help start some games to make it to the end of the season.

Also, I think some fresh arms will come up from the minors to take over for awhile in relief.

I heard something this moring on the mid-season review on MLB or ESPN . . . that the White Sox might be looking for a centerfielder? to close the gap there. If true, I know they like Pierre.

Maybe Pierre for some middle line pitcher.

17. Blue Haze says:

Ken, you really think rich democrats are any different from rich republicans, you’ve got a lot to learn, my boy.

Rumors are that Ned is looking at Jason Frasor (TOR) for the bullpen. Only 33 innings so far this year with a 2.45 ERA.

Mark

Ethier needs practice against LF pitchers – bat him 8th.

Does somebody need their diaper changed?

Ned think big, have a plan and give them up – For example

Elbert, Stults, Estes & Heager to NATs for Lannan and Biemel

Biemel, Castillo and Hu to BAL for Sherrill

Lannan, Lambo, Garate, Russell and May to TOR for Doc & Frasor

I am sure sick of working all freckin day while these debates go on. Oh well back to the grind………………

With all the McCourt bashing and the “loving money first” let’s remember how much money they are putting into the stadium and the community. Sure they love to make a profit any person in the position to own any buisness does…right Mark? But these guys have put their money where their mouth is with respect to community outreach. That is commendable in my eyes.

Ken,
    Also when you say that in 15 years Dodger Stadium will be the oldest park you show how little you know. Do you think Wrigley Field or Fenway Park are being replaced? Seriously? Dodger Stadium is being renovated and is scheduled for completion by 2012. The McCourt family has put a lot of effort into making the Dodgers front and center again in the LA landscape. A great example is the LA Marathon willl begin at Dodger Stadium from now on.

Sure the stadium is old but with the facelifts it has already recieved and the major one to come. You can’t find a better place to take in a game. And it is all thanks to your favorite family….The McCourts!

24. Blue Haze says:

Ken are your undies bunched up extra tight today? Geez, I guess you are potty ears if I am potty mouth, I don’t get it. I called you on an odd political reference, that others didn’t get either, GET OVER YOURSELF.

As far as the economic talk that has been referenced, I think those attendance numbers are just the tip of the iceberg as to what the owners are reading in the economy. The rates TV & Radio advertisers have to pay will definitely have an impact on the future adds that will be negotiated. Lower ratings than promised result in an adjustment to future commercials that an advertiser has to pay. I think we will continue to see payrolls shrink overall and affect the balance in the league, possibly.

With all that said, I don’t see the McCourt’s ponying up for Halladay. They are going to add someone, I just don’t see it being a current superstar type pitcher (Boomer is probably throwing in his backyard getting ready for a Sept 1 call up).

****Brought to you by pottymouth.com

25. Mark Timmons says:

Can’t we just get along?

We all need to show kindness and respect to one another…

or I’ll beat the hell out of you!

“The Dodgers have one of the oldest stadiums in all of baseball and you can bet that in 15 years Dodger Stadium will be the oldest park in all of MLB.”

What does age have to do with the condition of the ballpark? I believe the current renovation project that will put a new face on Dodger Stadium by 2012, has a projected cost of $500,000,000. That’s a half BILLION dollars. It’s nothing less than a major financial commitment, and probably a lot smarter decision than starting from scratch with a new ballpark.

Am I wrong in considering this blog to be a place where fans can engage in civil discourse w/o resorting to ugly attacks and name calling? Mark is correct, “it really doesn’t hurt “to show kindness and respect to one another…” If you want to disagree, by all means do so; but do it w/o being ill mannered. If you can’t say it nicely, just don’t say it.

No politics, no religion just Dodger Talk all the time. P.S.Kids just getting a little restless is all, as soon as tonights 1st pitch is thrown all will be well. :] We have to play Loney.

Is potty mouth name calling? I didn’t see anything that got too ugly. Hell Badger badgers me more then that over Blake.

However when Mark has to jump on top of the dog pile with a bum hip, maybe it’s time to simmer down.

Manny back in the lineup for the first time at home in a very long time. The crowd will be roaring tonight……….

Go Blue

30. Mark Timmons says:

Tonight’s Lineup is Soooooooooooo Predictable:

1. Rafael Furcal, SS
    2. Andre Ethier, RF
    3. Manny Ramirez, LF
    4. Casey Blake, 3B
    5. Matt Kemp, CF
    6. Russell Martin, C
    7. James Loney, 1B
    8. Orlando Hudson, 2B
    9. Randy Wolf, P

Kemp is at 5th, sooo

31. Roger says:

While driving around town today, I kept thinking — The Dodgers will do something before the deadline, because they have tooooo.

Why? Some injures so far this year, and most likely, there will be another one or even more.

Right now on paper, the Dodgers have the best record in baseball. Find. But how, on paper, would they respond in the flesh, to the post season?

On paper, they do not (IMO) match up with most clubs they would face in the N.L. and would lose. Another fine season, but not quite ready for the post season.

If, they made in over those two series (best of 5, best of 7 in the N.L.), then facing the A.L. I believe, on paper, they would not beat any of these A.L. teams: Boston, NYY, Detroit, CWS, Minn. However, they could beat: Angels, Rangers.

All of this I say, unless Ned makes some key changes.

There are two basic theories: 1) Trade some of the key Dodger players they have to, to make the moves that strengthen the Dodger starting 25. Thus, winning in 2009.

2) Mark’s cry (continual cry) do not trade any of the precious kids because we want them in the next 2 to 8 years. Do not sacrifice the future (even if we cannot make it this year; or, (wait till next year”).

What I know is this: those other teams that will be in the post season, will do what they have to do to win. My question to Ned is: what’s it going to be.

32. Roger says:

Hudson struck out again. Looking at his stats for this year – he had a great April & May. Not so so great June or July so far.

April he hit .337, May .328 — then in June only .222 and so far in July is .150.

For the year he has struck out some 64 times. He has never been higher than 98, but it looks like he might break that number this year.

For the year, he is third on the team. First is Kemp with 78, then Ethier with 69, then Hudson with 62. With is size, one might think that Orlando is a contact hitter. The stats do not show that.

33. Mark Timmons says:

We gave up the 17th Pick!

Pujols was the 16th pick!

34. Mark Timmons says:

But, his defense is stellar.

Joe has him hitting in the right spot.

See Mark, with the 17th pick we would have missed out on Pujols.

36. Mark Timmons says:

Over the years, here are just a few of the players who we could have gotten with the 17th pick:

Cole Hamels

Roy Halladay

Brad Lidge

Not that we could use any of them…

37. Mark Timmons says:

Why did Joe start Andre “DP” Ethier?

Ethier is pissing me off tonight! I agree with Mark tonight.

I was thinking Billingsley for Halladay. Chad Billingsley has peaked and I am predicting his demise. He is soft!

Russell Martin, Hu, Lambo and McDonald for Halladay. Bring back AJ Ellis.

We need Billingsley.

Halladay
    Billingsley
    Kershaw
    Kuroda
    Wolf

That would be a great pitching staff.