Game Time 7/18/09 – The Kershawshank Redemption

Game Time 7/18/09 – The Kershawshank Redemption
  • It’s official.  As reported here 4 days ago, Jason Schmidt will start Mondays’ game for the Dodgers, according to Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com.
  • Today is Joe Torre’s birthday.  Let’s get a win for him, Clayton.
  • It’s up to Clayton to keep the Dodgers from losing 3 in a row for the first time this season.

LINEUP:2006-06-28-kershaw

1. Furcal, SS
  2. Hudson, 2B
  3. Manny, LF
  4. Blake, 3B
  5. Kemp, RF
  6. Loretta, 1B
  7. Martin, C
  8. Kershaw, P
  9. Pierre, CF

Ethier and Loney (both lefties) are given th night off.  Juan Pierre is in the 9th spot.

10 Responses to “Game Time 7/18/09 – The Kershawshank Redemption”

1. Blue Haze says:

thank God Ethier is getting a night off.

Jason Who?

2. Roger says:

Pump me up . . .

Boys are back in town… :}

Although he is again on a pace of 100 pitches thru 6, the young man is sporting a rapidly shrinking ERA of 3.07

Gulp, 3.01

103 pitches and he got the team to the 8th.

Excellent.

Yes there is a new Sheriff in town. Ace Clayton.

Maybe Tiger hired Ethier and Martin’s Yoga instructor.

I attempted to post what’s below twice in the previous thread, but it never took. Given Kershaw’s performance tonight, my comment concerning the insanity of including him (or Billingsley) in a deal for Halladay is all that more compelling

Josh Lindblom is no doubt a good prospect, but there is nothing in his performances this year at AA and AAA that screams for him to be brought up. And what makes anyone think he wouldn’t experience the same growing pains we’ve seen with Billingsley and Kershaw? If spring training was a strong indicator of success, then Wilson Valdez should have been a star with the Dodgers in 2007. And there was that outfielder (his name escapes me), who also lit it up during the spring of 2007, who I think, is no longer playing anywhere. Here are Lindblom’s stats so far this year:

Actually bad performances in the spring don’t tell us much either. If memory serves me correct, Brent Leach, who’s currently doing commendable work for the Dodgers, was bombed during the spring.

Trading Bills or Kershaw for Halladay would be insane. Halladay, no doubt is one of the better pitchers in the game, but he has absolutely no experience in the postseason. He’s a control, pitch to contact type pitcher who gives up a lot of hits. In other words, he doesn’t fit the profile of a guy likely to blow through good lineups in the postseason. In fact, if the Dodgers did manage to get to the WS, Halladay would be no mystery to any team he faced. Nevertheless, he would be a welcome addition to the staff, but only if the price is right.

Also, I’m not willing to sacrifice our future for a chance to win THIS YEAR. That’s a gamble I prefer not to take, since, in fact, getting Halladay doesn’t guarantee anything. I prefer to build a team that I think can be a perennial winner. I don’t want to repeat 1988 again, winning one year and waiting another 20 or more (when I may be dead) for a repeat performance.

Getting our young players to the big leagues was an accomplishment. Allowing them to mature and develop into big league winners takes a little more time. Some of you are worried that once Manny is gone it will be all downhill. I like to think that the development of Kemp, Ethier, Loney, etc., and other additions, will more than make up for his departure, either after this season or next.

I held my breath when Broxton came in tonight. He has been pretty awful lately when coming into games after a long layoff. I thought the Dodgers should have stayed with Troncoso, especially since the latter was not available to back Broxton up in case of trouble (of which there was plenty). I hope that after tonight’s “tuneup” Broxton is back to being ready to close. But I’ll still hold my breath until I see him return to his pre-injury form.

Has Derek Lowe been Tweetering Chad Bills Wife?

1. Baseballbriefs.com tracking back Game Time 7/18/09 – The Kershawshank Redemption…