First, I hope everyone had a happy 4th of July, but I suspect DRomo had the best. What a day to be able to celebrate your daughter’s birthday! Congratulations!
Secondly, as you know I am not a big second-guesser. Game-time decisions are wrought with factors we know, and and others we don’t know about. I mean, it can be something
as innocent as a player having an argument with his wife/girlfriend before the game and maybe the manager thinks he might be a little distracted. Yes, I know they are professionals, but they are also human. Don’t kid yourself, except for Albert Pujols, they are no machines in MLB. These things are never reported, even though they are whispered in the press box, so when we rag on Torre about a certain move, the odds are that we don’t know the whole story. However, there are certain things that are obvious, such as how many innings a pitcher has thrown and I do have an issue with Torre’s use of Belisario and Troncoso. HE CANNOT CONTINUE TO USE THEM AS MUCH AS HE IS! Even Ray Charles could have seen that. James McDonald has proven he can pitch 2-3 good innings. Jeff Weaver is not used a lot. Even Eric Milton can pitch in relief if he’s not needed in the rotation, and while I hate to even mention it, we do have Claudio Vargas in the pen. Troncoso and Belisario have been excellent this year and both are going to end up with double the innings they pitched last year if this keeps up. Joe is going to have to back off using them so much. Even if he just puts them on a 3-day rotation with James McDonald, it will be much less stain on them. McDonald, like Belisario and Troncoso is capable of going 2-3 innings. Over-use it and lose it, Joe! We have more arms at AAA as well – no sense ruining the ones we need up here.
RANTS & RAVES
- Yesterdays’ game – Momma said there’d be days like this!
- Russ Martin is not a bad choice at #2, if O-Dog is not hitting.
- O-Dog might get today off as well. I think his wrist is sore.
- I would still love to see Ethier hit in front of Manny, but he’s really a middle-of-the-order hitter. A #2 hitter should have more speed. Come on Joe, try Andre at #3 and Manny at #4.
- It has been suggested that Kemp might hit well at #3 and I can’t agrue with that logic. The difference is that Kemp is hitting .303 and blooming where he is planted. The end of our batting order is as dangerous as any in all of baseball. Andre seems to have issues with certain things and is only hitting .253. I believe he would benefit immensely by the move to #3.
- I think many of us used to think Matt kemp was the “head case.” Now we find out it might be Andre Ethier.
- James Loney is due for another hot streak and he is rapidly ecoming “My Favorite Dodger.” He is a great player and an even better person.
- This afternoon it is C-Bill vs. Josh Banks, who has only started one game this year.