A Call To Arms

A Call To Arms

First, I hope everyone had a happy 4th of July, but I suspect DRomo had the best.  What a day to be able to celebrate your daughter’s birthday!  Congratulations!

Secondly, as you know I am not a big second-guesser. Game-time decisions are wrought with factors we know, and and others we don’t know about.  I mean, it can be something

Tommy's Cart Parked Outside The Chow Hall in Lasordaville (Vero)  www.LAdodgerTalk.com

Tommy's Cart Parked Outside The Chow Hall in Lasordaville (Vero) www.LAdodgerTalk.com

as innocent as a player having an argument with his wife/girlfriend before the game and maybe the manager thinks he might be a little distracted.  Yes, I know they are professionals, but they are also human.  Don’t kid yourself, except for Albert Pujols, they are no machines in MLB.  These things are never reported, even though they are whispered in the press box, so when we rag on Torre about a certain move, the odds are that we don’t know the whole story.  However, there are certain things that are obvious, such as how many innings a pitcher has thrown and I do have an issue with Torre’s use of Belisario and Troncoso.  HE CANNOT CONTINUE TO USE THEM AS MUCH AS HE IS!  Even Ray Charles could have seen that.  James McDonald has proven he can pitch 2-3 good innings.  Jeff  Weaver is not used a lot.  Even Eric Milton can pitch in relief if he’s not needed in the rotation, and while I hate to even mention it, we do have Claudio Vargas in the pen.  Troncoso and Belisario have been excellent this year and both are going to end up with double the innings they pitched last year if this keeps up.  Joe is going to have to back off using them so much.  Even if he just puts them on a 3-day rotation with James McDonald, it will be much less stain on them.  McDonald, like Belisario and Troncoso is capable of going 2-3 innings.  Over-use it and lose it, Joe!  We have more arms at AAA as well – no sense ruining the ones we need up here.

RANTS & RAVES

• Yesterdays’ game – Momma said there’d be days like this!
  • Russ Martin is not a bad choice at #2, if O-Dog is not hitting.
  • O-Dog might get today off as well.  I think his wrist is sore.
  • I would still love to see Ethier hit in front of Manny, but he’s really a middle-of-the-order hitter.  A #2 hitter should have more speed.  Come on Joe, try Andre at #3 and Manny at #4.
  • It has been suggested that Kemp might hit well at #3 and I can’t agrue with that logic.  The difference is that Kemp is hitting .303 and blooming where he is planted.  The end of our batting order is as dangerous as any in all of baseball.  Andre seems to have issues with certain things and is only hitting .253.  I believe he would benefit immensely by the move to #3.
  • I think many of us used to think Matt kemp was the “head case.”  Now we find out it might be Andre Ethier.
  • James Loney is due for another hot streak and he is rapidly ecoming “My Favorite Dodger.”  He is a great player and an even better person.
  • This afternoon it is C-Bill vs. Josh Banks, who has only started one game this year.

17 Responses to “A Call To Arms”

1. Blue Haze says:

From last blog, that was closed to comments.

Congrats DRomo, enjoy your children everyday.

Gracias, MM, on the back book recommendation, I am ordering it today on Amazon. I like to know as much info on this before I see and hear from the docs.

Joseph, I never heard of this signing but your quote (“Jesus, he is our best hitter due up third in the inning..”). Look buddy, Jesus can get a hit anytime he wants to, so don’t mess with the Jesus.

Thank you Manny for making my pre-game prediction hold up (and hitting one out for MM, like I told you too. Okay, I lied, I told Manny that MM was a ten year old little boy in the hospital and that he loved Manny and hated Andre Ethier. Okay the second part wasn’t a lie.)

I couldn’t agree more. Yesterday in the 4th inning with Wolf nearing 80 pitches, I thought for sure that we would see McDonald. If Joe is going to only use him once a week, whats the use? James, already my fave, for whatever reason has hit better on the road this season, so heres hoping the trend continues. O-Dog is beat. He needs a breather. I’m hoping he can get it over the AllStar break. DRomo has a daddys girl now, congrats again.

The team hit line shots all over the field yesterday and most of them found gloves. Frankly I am not as concerned about our offense as I am about our pitching.

Eric Karros and his booth partner were both saying the same things many of us in here have been saying – the Dodger starters don’t go deep enough and the pen is being overworked. Both of them said the same thing I have been saying, you cannot expect this pen to hold up through the dog days.

Belisario got robbed on the first batter, but didn’t handle it particularly well. If he gets that first out, who knows what happens after that. Troncoso didn’t fare well either.

The remedy for this problem is to have our starters complete 7-8 (and a complete game now and then sure wouldn’t hurt) Then we have a set up guy and Broxton and we could rotate some of those guys to give everybody rest.

It would not surprise me to see us go after another bullpen arm, and not the starter we have been talking about.

As for the lineup, there are a dozen ways to stack it. I know mover likes more speed out of a number 2, I do too, but Andre’s numbers, and I will post them again (.307, .378 OBP .903 OPS) cannot be ingnored. The man loves hitting in front of Manny. To avoid pitching around Manny (and many might anyway) I would put Loney there followed by Kemp. I know many don’t want Hudson lowered in the order, but the man is slumping. Maybe hitting 6th he could spark something involving Martin and Blake. Again, when we are hitting on all cylinders, this team could very well be the most dangerous offense in the league.

Pitching. And after that, more pitching.

4. Mark Timmons says:

One thing is clear to me:

Andre Ethier needs to be in front of Manny.

It’s not the end of the world if he hits second, but he HAS to be in front of Manny. He will not hit well behind him.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Ken has mentioned this before, so I won’t take the credit, but a pitcher he suggested was LH, John Lannan of the Nationals. The Nationals will not be very good for at least a couple of years and by that time Lannan will be arbitration eligible. He would be inxepensive salary wise and he averages over 6 innings a start. I think the Nats would take Milton, Stults, Elbert and Lambo for him. That’s a lot to give, but he’s a solid #4 for us.

1. Bills
    2. Kuroda
    3. Wolf
    4. Lannan
    5. Kershaw

It would allow the Dodgers to skip Kershaw when a 5th starter as not needed, so as to limit his innings, but our rotation would be decidedly LH.

I would think by this time Elbert is considered crystal. Milton is a gamble, Stults, coming off the DL is 29 and hasn’t pitched more than 45 innings in any year and Lambo? He is hitting .269 at AA. Who knows. Lannan would work but I don’t know if that package is acceptable. He is young, but a proven Major Leaguer with a .3.79 career ERA. I would think someone would offer more than that – like a couple of Major League ready prospects. Do we have any?

7. lawdog says:

People, the arms we need are in our farm system right now. We’ve got some real talent down there.

8. Mark Timmons says:

It is possible that Elbert, Lindblom and Schmidt will all be ready to pitch this year, still a few years ago our future starters were to be Hanrahan, Tiffany, Jackson, Elbert and Miller.

You never know!

a-B-T-B relief core
    a-B-T-B relief core
    a-B-T-B relief core
    They are the relievers for Torre-ee

Their pitches got plenty of rhythm, got plenty of jive
    And when they pitch the stands really come alive
    Torre’s man love for them is so tender and sweet
    His heart starts pounding’ every time they pitch

a-B-T-B relief core gonna pitch every day just as sweet as they can be-ee-ee

A big operations coming’ for my core’s arms
    This day their going to pitch again

a-B-T-B relief core gonna pitch every day just as sweet as they can be-ee-ee
    a-B-T-B relief core with arms of rubber is the B-T-B relief core for Torre-ee
    a-B-T-B relief core for me

10. lawdog says:

Mover is reciting m y mantra. Put Ethier in the # 2 hole and he’ll hit .365.

11. Buddy says:

These camouflage uniforms the Padres are wearing are the most hideous things on the face of the earth. The Padres should be banned from MLB for wearing them.

Yeah they really work well on a baseball field. I can’t see them at all.

Maybe it’s cuz I don’t have the game on?

Billingsley, 37 pitches in 4 innings.

Now that’s pitching like an ace.

14. Roger says:

Some of us have been on Bell-a-sorry-oh almost all year now.

Mark and I both felt in Spring Training, watching him pitch, that he would not make the squad. Believe he came late to camp anyway.

Fact, he and who ever is catching him, does not know where the ball is going. And of course the batter does not either.

Send him down to hone his throwing, and bring up Lindblom or some one that is ready. Even if it is only for three weeks or so.

Since Joe is using Belisario so much, bring up Lindblom and give him a chance.

15. Mark Timmons says:

They’ll have to put Belisario on the DL soon anyway.

16. Roger says:

All right, those of you that double-quess a lot of Joe’s moves…

9th inning, leading 6 to 2, brings in Broxton in a non-save situation. The house falls in upon Broxton and does not escape. Game tied 6 to 6.

Key: Billingsly with a wonderful game, now has not decision. Both of these pitchers are named to the All-Star squad.

Is this a plot to not have C-Bills at 10 wins by the game?

Is Broxton over worked?

Do we need to send Broxton down, and bring up some kid from “A” ball?

What a waste of a game.