Who Will The D-Backs Get With the 17th Pick?

Who Will The D-Backs Get With the 17th Pick?

So far, getting Orland Hudson has been worth losing the 17th pick in the draft.  However, there is a long way to go in the season, and that was always my concern – whether the O–Dog could stay healthy.  So far, he may have been the best free agent pickup of the off season.  Let’s hope he stays healthy, because if he does, he’ll help put us in position to win a championship this year.

Orlando Hudson Photo by Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images

Orlando Hudson Photo by Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images

He was injured the last two years during the stretch run, which is part of the reason the D-Backs let him walk.  Not only is he a great offensive player who leads our team in offense, but he’s just as good (maybe better) defensively.  I have given credit to Russ Martin for the low ERA of our pitching staff, but a lot of credit has to go the Hudson, who has set-the-tone for the Dodgers defense by running, diving and hustling to steal hits all over the field.  He has save us untold runs, so far.  I believe that it has become contagious and that other players are really stepping up as well.

Our “up-the-middle” defense is about as good as any team in baseball, and Loney is becoming Gold-Glove Caliber at 1B.  Don’t underestimate Casey Blake, who makes the routine play and sometimes the spectacular.   Martin, Furcal, Hudson and Kemp save us a lot of runs – that’s for sure.

The Diamondbacks have the 16th and 17th picks in the Draft which starts this afternoon.  High draft picks are significant and while they are not the ‘end-all, be-all” a smart club can get excellent players in high spots.  This year, we don’t draft until 56th, but let’s not forget that Mike Piazza was a 62ed round pick.

TONIGHT’S GAME:

Chris Young vs. Chad Billingsley

Lineup to Follow:

68 Responses to “Who Will The D-Backs Get With the 17th Pick?”

1. BillRussell says:

The O-Doggie is worth every bit of a high school pitcher that may or may not ever develop into a major leaguer. If it was a top 3 pick then maybe not. In fact O-Doggy has been the best player on the team so far this year. Why is our pitchers ERA down and the best in the league this year. It's the guy that cost Mark his 17th overall pick making those plays at 2nd that Jeff Kent would have only heard go by.

If he stays healthy all year, he would be worth even a top 3 pick.

3. BillRussell says:

Continued from last post
    Of course Romo is wrong about no one is impressed with Andy, we know for sure that Andy's mother is. SO that statement is just false. As you say the jury is still out on Andy because he hasn't completed a full season of baseball. Injuries prevented his chances in LA but it's a no brainer whether of whether not to pick up Manny last year which cost us Andy. I'm not a Andy hater or a Andy supporter to be honest with you. I wouldn't even think about him any longer if it was for Badger's bet.

Now, before anyone wants to take credit for how well he is playing, consider this:

He flunked the Nationals physical and no other player has EVER came back from his type of surgery. That was and is, my concern. How (long) will his wrist hold up?

Baseball skills aside, Orlandos greatest asset so far has been as a good teammate. What a difference a year makes. Last season it was like Captain Queeg and this year it's like Chris Rock. Different strokes for different folks. I will be interesting as Mark lets us know the path of the pick, but I still take the O-Dog. I'm a touch impatient since our last in 1988 and I want to win now.

Baseball skills aside, Orlandos greatest asset so far has been as a good teammate. What a difference a year makes. Last season it was like Captain Queeg and this year it's like Chris Rock. Different strokes for different folks. It will be interesting as Mark lets us know the path of the pick, but I still take the O-Dog. I'm a touch impatient since our last in 1988 and I want to win now.

• Michael, I could not agree with you more. I feel that being a good teammate and a clubhouse leader are the most underrated aspects of a player! Pierre is a player that does not get his justice when it comes to analyzing players. I am VERY happy to hear that the Dodgers are making a concerted effort to take personality into account with any and every player that they will consider putting Dodger blue on moving forward. Colletti has eluded to this many times.

I think our orginization has a good track record in recent years of player development. Who ever we choose I think we will be OK. Lets face it in the MLB draft there are no sure things. There are not many Hall of Famers who are locks when they get drafted. It is all about player development!! A great example is Mark Prior. He was a stud and really looked to be the real deal for a few years but then the injury bug hit. That is why you don't pay Strasburg (however you spell it) $50 million. If he is THAT good he will get his money when he earns it at the big league level.

One more thing. Mark,
    I love the way our opinions are shot down if we don't agree with you. I know, it is your site and you can do what you want. But to say or imply that a guy like me has no idea how to evaluate talent when I see it, is a little much. Maybe I shouldn't have said "No one is impressed by Andy" I should have said "A lot of people are not impressed.
    I guess if I said I say that to motivate him it would be OK? It would fall right in line with calling out Ethier the last 2 years, right? Does that mean you have no idea what you are talking about? Of course not. I don't hate LaRoche. I don't hate anyone. I just don't think he is all that. He is very good. His brither is very good…but I think he is a stiff. Andy is a young man and is injury prone. There is a reason the orginization turned their back on him. Don't they know better than us?

9. lawdog says:

Mark,

Yesterday's minor league report bounced back to me this AM. I'm guessing it's just yesterdays report that didn't get through to you since only yesterdays bounced. I'll keep sending to you over again unless I hear otherwise from you.

10. Roger Dodgers says:

I am just not sure, where the Dodgers would be in the standings if Hudson were not on this 2009 team and someone else were starting all year at 2nd base (or several players trying to be a 2nd baseman).

I have used all of my fingers, several times, counting the plays in the field that Hudson has made, that Kent would not have made, and I am not sure that DeWitt could have made. And some of that converts from wins to loses. That is just his fielding. His hitting has really helped this team. Then the clubhouse presence.

There would not be an 8 to 9 game lead, that is for sure.

• Yes, lets not all forget about the fact that Hudson is hitting the ball VERY well this season! All I have heard about so far in this thread is that he is a great clubhouse leader and outstanding defensively. Yes, he has saved some games with his glove but he has saved WAY more games with his bat! And the work is full of good defensive players, its the offense that is the hardest thing to master in baseball.

On this business of not adding a significant player mid-way through the season. Breaks the team chemistry. That might be true in some situations . . . . but take for example last season for the Dodgers.

Blake and Manny joining the team. Those two worked. Sure, Pierre has less playing time, but they made a very big difference.

Blake was injured last year with the Dodgers – Bicep

I recommend that more people read and post on the "Minor League Report"!

Best signing – Ibanez

Updated Mr Softie Stats

Clutch – #1 Starter Loney 1.6
    Either 2009 -5.5 Worst on Dodgers
    Furcal 2009 -3.9 2nd Worst on Dodgers
    Kent 2008 -7.7 The true Mr. Softie

BA/RISP #1 Starter Pierre .375
    Either .230 2nd to Last among starters
    Furcal .180 Last among starters

Romo,

I have called Andre Ethier out because I think he's better than what he has shown at times, but I would never say he's no good or call for his benching for more than a game. I have called Martin out and called for his benching. I will also admit when I'm wrong.

The organization didn't turn their back on Andy – they simply were faced with giving the Pirates Kemp, Ethier or LaRoche and they chose LaRoche. This is the same decision I would have made.

On another note, I have never seen 2B played better than Orlando Hudson plays it this year!

Romo,

I appreciate, even welcome disagreement… when it's based on fact. I am not impressed with opinions. Everyone has one. I am not sure what you mean when you say LaRoche is a "stiff." By all accounts, Andy is a good teammate and greatly respected by the guys he came up with, as well as Logan White. To say that "he's not all that" ignores his great batting eye, his opposite field power, his compact, powerful swing and hard-nosed style of playing.

Lawdog,

I just got all your reports as we have part of our e-mail system back. I will post yesterday's shortly.

16. SpokaneBob says:

Odog has become my favorite Dodger. I pray that he can stay healthy. If he does I think we have a good chance of keeping him. He has expressed a reverence for the Dodger uniform because of Jackie Robinson and the team chemistry, of which he is a big part, is the best I can recall. Injuries are always a risk and looking at all the money we have wasted on just pitchers, if Orlando can stay reasonably healthy this year I would make every effort and spare no expense to retain him.

I had a type -o….read it again Mark. I said his brother is a stiff. He is a well known A-hole. That is based on fact. I know folks in the Braves orginazation and even the media has printed as much.Andy seems like a good kid, I know I said that yesterday. My opinions are based on fact. I believe that facts and what you see with your own two eyes are bigger than statistics. Frankly I am not impressed with opinions either.
    Mark, I think there are many of us here that just feel you pine so hard for this one guy. It doesn't makes sense.
    "his great batting eye, his opposite field power, his compact, powerful swing and hard-nosed style of playing. "
    Really? Based on what? Minor leagues? Why is it that the Dodger organiztion EXPERTS were not sold that it would translate to big league success? You know more right? Talk about opinions.
    Andy is very good. I hope he does well. But there are bigger prospects that I would be sad about. Andy aint one of 'em.

OK, I've heard that about his brother too.

I think you need to realize that I am joking when I say I pine for Andy.

The Dodgers traded Andy because, until a guy actually has a track record (like Ethier and Kemp had), he is still just a prospect, so they let Andy go rather than Kemp or Ethier – it was a no-brainer!

It's not an opinion and I did not even come close to saying that I knew more. It's just that I have seen him probably over a 100+ games and know what he is about. The Dodgers traded who they HAD to trade and it was him.

For the record, I watched Joel Guzman a lot as well and never felt he coud hit or be a SS in the majors (so far I was right).

If you are referring to Carlos Santana, he's a lot less polished as a hitter than Andy was at the same age. He's in AA and hitting .282, but has a lot of raw talent. I hated to see him go as well, but he's still another year and a half away.

Now, on to the real issue "I pine so hard for a player it doesn't make sense? Answer some questions:

1. How many times have you been to sping training and watched these guys for weeks at a time?

2. How many games have you seen these guys in person?

3. How many games have you seen them on TV?

My answers:
    1. I've been watching this group of young players for 6 years – at least a week at a time, sometime two.

2. I have seen well over 175 games in person the last 6 years.

3. I have watched well over two hundred minor league games in person or on the WEB.

I am not the great authority, but I do know more than the average bear because I paid the price – I was there!

So, I have SOME qualifications, and I do subscribe to every service and publication I possibly can that scouts and rates the players.

Now, give me your qualifications:

It kills me when people say that a major league player is a bum, because the worst major league player is so much better than any of us could ever be. Their skill level is so incredible and there's not much difference sometimes between the worst and the best players. Sometimes it's just the little things that make all the difference. For example, what I saw in Russ Martin was not only the talent, but he was the first guy on the field and the last to leave – that's what made him and not doing that hurt him last year.

Oh, here's what BA said about LaRoche:

Few players can cause a stir in batting practice like LaRoche can. He sometimes will take BP with a 36-ounce bat, which has helped him build remarkable strength in his hands and wrists. He has tremendous power and a ferocious approach, attacking pitches with a quick, leveraged swing. He can drive balls out to all parts of the park, but is at his best when he's hammering them from gap to gap. He lets the ball travel deep in the hitting zone. He's an intelligent hitter who d made strides in 2006 with his plate discipline and willingness to work counts without sacrificing any power. For the first time as a pro, he drew more walks than strikeouts. Defensively, he has good hands and a solid-average arm. He's a reliable third baseman who committed just five errors in 54 games at Triple-A Las Vegas. LaRoche profiles as an everyday third baseman and an occasional all-star with a .275-.285 average and 25-30 homer potential.

Now, that ship has sailed, but I wish him well and will follow him while still rooting every play for Casey Blake.

NIce to see LaRoche is beating excpectations in the error category.

Look for the record I never said he was "a bum". I just said I never thought he was untouchable and didn't impress with his opportunities at the big league level.

Mark I have been to hundreds of games and seen hundreds of prospects come through the minors. I live in a minor league city and lucky for me it is a Dodger minor league town. I have seen the hundreds of prospects from Griffey Jr. to Beltre, to Konerko & Blake DeWitt among others. The way you liked Andys game I have liked DeWitts. Because I saw it first hand. I too have put in the time. I have been fortunate enough to have friends and ex teamates playing and coaching at high levels. I would love to discuss that if you care to know. I don't pull my opinions out of my ass. It is speaking from discussions with professional evaluators and them pointing out flaws. It makes me a batter fan when you know more about the game and learn from those who have played.

I have seen many players that played here become busts when they were sure things in the minors.
    I have seen thousands of college games as well. I attended evaluation clinics with friends that are coaches at division 1 schools. One is coaching a guy who is probably around $50 million richer tonight. I have evaluated high school kids and helped in scouting in my local area.

Sure I have never been to spring training. But You can read the experts evaluations on various media outlets until you see them for yourself. Sometimes we are all proven wrong, Mark. Sometimes the kid doesn't pan out.

You say you know more than the average bear. Well I say I do too. I know that I don't know it all but I guarantee I know people who might. From former GMs, former agents, players and coaches. It is after I pick there brains that I form opinions. I know what I am talking about. I have paid the price and put in the time as well Mark. Can't we respect that someone else might know a little something about the game as well?

I have too many typos to point out. Sorry

26. Steve M. says:

dodgers have the 36th overall as well.

27. Gonzo says:

Romo, let it slide. When Mark wants your opinion he'll give it to you. If a kid can play in high school and college, it doesn't necessarily translate to pro success due to skills or attitude. (Billy Ashley, Joel Guzman) You can subscribe to all the sites and find out stats and other things but nothing compares to coaching. It is there in the trenches that you see who has it and who doesn't or who doesn't have it but will and vice versa. Sometimes kids just top out at a certain level and don't pan out.

Laroche is a tweener. I think he will be a servicable MLger but nothing more.

Romo,

Blake DeWitt was a guy who I never thought had what it took to make it. Not in a million years…

But I guess a lot of people never saw him coming..

I respect opinions when you lay out your argument – I may not agree (Badger disagee with me a lot) but I respect it.

Romo,

But I guess a lot of people never saw him coming..

I respect opinions when you lay out your argument – I may not agree (Badger disagees with me a lot) but I respect it.

The D-Backs are on the clock.

Tonight's lineup:

1. Pierre, LF
    2. Hudson, 2B
    3. Ethier, RF
    4. Loney, 1B
    5. Blake, 3B
    6. Martin, C
    7. Furcal, SS
    8. Kemp, CF
    9. Billingsley, P

31. CaptainLoose says:

Kemp taking over for Blake in the 8 hole?

I don't like it. I want Blake in 8.

."I think he will be a servicable MLger but nothing more." Kind of like Blake?

32. BillRussell says:

Alright boys- lets track A J Pollack to see if he would be a better player then O-Doggie

33. jerry says:

i didnt think this site was about pittburg.. it seem that a certain..player that wasnt good enough for the dodger..is looking a little better than he did here..because that team sucks. who cares…

Cheer up Jerry! You could live in Pittsburgh!

Billy, get back to me in 4 years. He played in Indiana and I never head of him…

Wow, this thread for today — is smokn'

Mark, I think some of us asked you to remove the "thumbs up and thumbs down" several days ago. I notice that all of your posts have a +1 thumbs up. I assmue that is you clicking that one . . . We do not need a meter of the up and down view. If you do not move it off the board — you are not listening to the members now.

Also, I have heard many many many announcers and anylists say the Juan Pierre is the Dodger first on the field for practice and usually the last to leave. You said that Martin was. From the Ping / Pong of comments above — I will go with Pierre.

I think the comparing of LaRoche & Blake really does not work. One is a senior MLB player, and knows how to play the game at that level. The other, is just beginning and has barly been around the league as of yet. I want the best for both. The Pirates need Andy to be a great player for their sake. The Dodgers have all that was expected from Blake. Both teams are happy at this point.

(continue . . .)

Now for the draft. Forget the 17th pick that the Dodger gave up. As I began to talk about above, if we would not have signed Hudson, and given up the 17th pick — I believe the Dodgers would not have the 8 or 9 game lead at this poing. Hudson has made that much difference.

Now if it had been the 1st or 2nd pick, that might have been different. But even those players would not have had an impact on this season in L.A. We want it this year. So far, Ned has put together a pretty solid team. I sill think we are 1 starter short. And maybe 1 on the bench. But let us see just how the season unfolds. Almost four months left.

Roger,

I honsetly have no clue what the thumbs up deal is and I have never used it. It's on my IT's guys list of things to do, but it won't happen this week as we had 2 servers crash and I don't even have all my e-mail back. The A/C went out in our server room and fried all the hard drives. We had everything backed up off premises so we didn't lose anything, but aggravation…

I was talking about Martin in the Minors – nobody beats Pierre!

I would remove it if I could as it serves no purpose, but I don't know how.

Nothing wrong with Martin's blocking pitches or his arm. He just saved a run.

40. CaptainLoose says:

"Based on what? Minor leagues?"

In a word – yes. LaRoche hit everywhere he went, and he is hitting in Pittsburgh.

I was just responding to your blanket statement "nobody is impressed with LaRoche", and he had his chance here and didn't do anything with it. How can I let a silly statements like that go by? Yes, you should have something else, but you didn't.

And Bill, why do you say I am a Blake hater? I don't hate anyone. I just evaluate them as players. Blake is what he is, a career .265 hitter with marginal power numbers. And, he will be 36 this year, so his best years are behind him. Is that opinion? Of course it is. It is possible that his best years are still in front of him, but, with the exception of the roid users, how many players got better after 35?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone is entitled to critique others opinions. I don't take it personally. Shoot, Mark and I have been going at each other for years and we are still friends. When he is full of crap I tell him so, and same for him with me.

And he is much righter than me – aren't you Mark.

That Wild Pitch by C-Bill was a classic case of what I was sayng the other day. Martin was setting up for high and away and the pitch was in the dirt inside. All you can do is backhand it…

Captn' — you asked me yesterday if I was ok with the 3 key Dodger starters. I made a response, but looking at Bills in the first inning tonight — he is almost at 100 pitches already. Hits all over the place, so far 2 runs . . . but he does have almsot 4 months to get it together.

He needs a few more wins to make it to the All-Star game this year.

43. CaptainLoose says:

The thing with LaRoche and Blake started when somebody said LaRoche wasn't in Blake's league. I took umbrage and said LaRoche is actually a better hitter. And it took off from there. It's no big deal really. Speaking of checking back in 4 years, maybe we should do that with LaRoche. It would appear the bet between Bill and I is just pissing people off. Can't have that now can we.

So, nobody cares we drafted another left handed pitcher named Miller?

It was actually Greg Miller who changed his first name and wants a fresh start.

Here's the Full Report on Aaron Miller:

Hitting ability: Miller has an effortless stroke and the ball jumps off his bat. He uses the field well and has excellent bat control. He can be overly passive at times.
    Power: Can impact the ball with power and will have the ability to hit the ball out to all fields.
    Running speed: Has above-average speed.
    Base running: Shows very good instincts on the bases and has outstanding awareness.
    Arm strength: Also a pitcher, Miller has a right fielder's arm.
    Fielding: Profiles as a prototypical right fielder and is fine there defensively.
    Range: His speed and instincts allow him to cover plenty of ground.
    Physical Description: Miller is lean and muscular with a medium frame, kind of like a Hunter Pence but with thicker and more muscular legs.
    Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Great left-handed swing and approach, decent speed and plus baseball know-how.
    Weaknesses: Can be too passive and selective at the plate.
    Summary: A two-way player at Baylor, it seems likely that Miller's future lies in the outfield. He's got a great swing from the left side, with excellent pitch recognition — his main problem is he's too selective at times — and he should hit for some power at the next level. He's a decent runner and has a strong arm, making it easy to see him patrolling right field in a big league ballpark one day. In a Draft class lacking impact college bats, Miller shouldn't have any problem generating interest.

We took Tim Wallachs' other son, Brett who is RH pitcher, with the 65th pick.

Mark, I would like it if you would float me an e-mail. My man I respect that this is your blog. I just wish others opinions were more welcome with out having to present their credentials.

WE took Garrett Gould with the 65th pick. He's a RH who throws 94 and projects higher, They say his curve is the best in the draft. He was ranked 25th btyBA.

Gonzo was right. Andy topped out at .302 then went 0-4 toinght. He's at .296 and is obvioulsy toast!

Wow, Ethier belted another HR. I think if we could get in to the inside, the coaching staff has made some more adjustments in his swing. He hit a hanging curve ball, right down the line in right field.

An Kemp, Mr. Kemp, a clutch hit with two out and Furcal at 3rd base. Nice single.

To clutch hits.

I missed what Martin did.

We all have an opinion, so the good thing is that I haven't seen any thumbs down signs. One day I actually said something that drew a vote from the suddenly absent Miguel. I have to plead guilty to giving Mark, Capn Loose, BRuss and yes you Rog, a vote. I really mostly align with your views Roger, so I apoligize for not giving you a thumbs up earlier. Yeah, I agree that this serves no purpose, but like I said earlier, I can't believe that I haven't seen any thumbs down. We are all on the same side, kind of like family. Andre is seeing real good now.

• Yeah, I have had family things and day job things that have eaten up my time lately. Having a 2 and 4 year old takes alot more of your time than having older kids. It has been eating at me like crazy that I have not been able to contribute more here. But this thread, and a few scotches, has be fired up and invigorated. And sorry Roger Dodger for going off so hard in my last comment on this thread. I just have a hard time understanding how everyone has such a problem with the thumbs thing, especially since we have such good and tight knit group of commentors here. As Micheal has pointed out there are very few if any thumbs down. If you like what someone has to say, thumbs up, if its troll material, thumbs down. Pretty simple and no one really gets hurt.

You guys are all what makes this site great and are also the reasons I fell in love with the site at first glance! I say it all the time to people I meet, "we have the best, most educated, group of commentors of any Dodgers blog in the world!" And I honestly feel that way.

Roger,

Martin chocked again. He should be 8th!

Roger,

Martin choked again. He should be 8th!

Where is Miguel?

Martin can't get a break.

57. CaptainLoose says:

I think I read somewhere that we drafted Miller as a pitcher. Did I get that wrong?

Softhier at it again.

Why so sensitive Romey? We respect your opinion.

Captain I'm not sensitive I just have a few things to say to Mark. I think it might be better with out others opinions added to it. No worries. I love this site. Everyone will agree it's the best around!!!!

You said it best Softier is at it again! Ethier is a scouts dream. He is fundamentally sound as anyone.

I will tell you this much I was wrong on Matt Kemp. This kid is great and is getting better! Wear me out on this one, I'll own it. Kemp has a ways to go but he is pretty darn good! Is that understated? :)

Someone wake up Joe. Bills is already over a hundred pitches with apparent follow through problems. He is in line to get the W, don't go that extra inning, your BP is rested with another day off this week. Oh well, I guess that is why he is making a gazillion and I am analyzing at home.

60. CaptainLoose says:

Bills 117 pitches and he doesn't even get into the 7th? Why does our staff have this problem?

We're good Romey.

Mark has been wrong about Ethier (and Beltre, he has wood for Beltre) for years. He is right about most things, but long wrong on those two.

Kemp is a stud. When he finally gets it all together, I give him two more years for that, he is going to be a monster in this league. Will we still own him? I don't know, how can we keep all of them? Loney, Ethier, Martin, Bills, Kemp – they are all going to want the big bucks real soon.

61. Roger Dodger, get with the program and don't be so afraid of change and technology. The thumbs thing is FOR FUN, don't be so offended. You seem to be the only one that gripes about it so much. I guess we had better remove it before eveyone gets their panties in a ruffle.

Mark, we can just 86 the entire Intense Debate commenting system that we deployed since it seems that the "added" features and benefits that it provides are not welcomed here. Maybe we should just create a clone of the old "message boards," who needs blogs anyways?

62. How about Mr. Tony Gwynn Jr.? I just picked him up in fantasy and he is on fire! Of course he JUST struck out, but it was a nasty pitch. That kid looks really good though, he has the genes.

I will be at the game tomorrow night so please tune in and follow our Twitter account for updates before, during, and after the game! You can see my twitters here, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk, or in the sidebar of this blog. I will be asking all of you what questions you want answered before and after the game when I get access to Torre and the staff. I plan on taking alot of pictures and being alot more active this time around so please send me your questions either via Twitter (you will need to signup for an account) or via email (miguel@ladodgertalk.com). This is your chance to get inside the game!

And….

the Backs take CF AJ Pollack from Notre Dame. I hear he's next Micky Mantle, no wait, his parents have a mantle on their fireplace. Yeah! That's the ticket!

ADD Martin picked off first base thinking about after game activities again