We Will Have The Lead & Will Get Two All-Stars Back

We Will Have The Lead & Will Get Two All-Stars Back

On July 3rd, the Dodgers will still probably have a substantial lead in the NL West, at which time they will get two additional All-Stars for their lineup:  Manny Ramirez and Andre Ethier.  We all know Manny has been gone, but so has the Andre Ethier who hit behind Manny.  With Manny in the lineup, Andre is impressive.  Without Manny, Andre is an impostor.  When we get Manny back, we will get the clutch Andre Ethier back.  Without Manny, Andre has seen his batting average drop to the .260′s.  With Manny, he might hit .350.  It is what it is, and I will enjoy watching it.  Additionally, Rafael Furcal and Russell Martin are showing signs of life.  This gives me reason to believe that the Dodgers can win 100 games this year!

As good as the Dodgers have been, they could be better the second half.  With 2 premier hitters back and comebacks by Martin and Furcal, the Dodgers could be sitting in “high cotton.”  Everyone says we need another starter, but do we really?  Billingsley, Wolf, Kershaw and Kuroda all have the kind of stuff that you have to take note of.  I expect them all to get even better as the years progresses.  Clayton and Chad are young… and learning.  You will see some very good games from them this year.  That leaves the 5th spot.  Milton might hold it or McDonald or even Stults.  I am not convinced we need another starter.  No reason to panic.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP:

1. Juan Pierre, LF
  2. Rafael Furcal, SS
  3. Orlando Hudson, 2B
  4. James Loney, 1B
  5. Casey Blake, 3B
  6. Andre Ethier, RF
  7. Mark Loretta, DH
  8. Russell Martin, C
  9. Matt Kemp, CF

The Weaver Brothers will be on the mound.  Hopefully, the good guys win.

dodgerpissingonangel

30 Responses to “We Will Have The Lead & Will Get Two All-Stars Back”

I was just looking at Twitter to see who follows LA DODGER TALK. Among others: A Martinez, Diamond Leung, Skip Shaw (Mattingly Sports), Joe Salvatore, Jon Weisman and Bill Plaschke.

I believe that Matt Kemp will win a Gold Glove. Sooner than later.

I must confess that I once thought Matt would never be able to be a real CF.

I am glad I was wrong.

Ok Mohawk – You want your long releiver that you never use to be ready to start a game when his last start was May 20th, he has relieved only 4 times since then for a total of 8 innings and has not pitched since June 10th????????????

I have a feeling that the floodgates are now open after Martin's 1st HR.

Russell Martin will be a beast! Pitchers must pay!

• Ken says:

Pulled the inside pitch and is hitting middle and outside pitches up the middle!!!

He is back for a while

Looks like it's you and me Ken.

It's a ghost town.

• Ken says:

Mid to low 70s today, but littte sun. Good "summer" day in So Cal. I am just sitting here recovering from a long day of yard work.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I wish I could work in the yard. Lots of work to do. I had a 70 ft retaining wall built and I need to do a lot of landscaping, but hopefully by fall, I'll be back to normal.

I normally would be out picking up chicks on Saturday night, but…

1. I can't walk;
    2. I too old; and
    3. My wife won't let me.

Other than that, I'd be out picking up chicks!

7. BlueGal says:

Jeff Weaver is getting stronger looking is what I meant to say.

I understand…

Welcome BlueGal.

Interesting stat by Vin – Since Manny was suspended, Casey Blake has hit .352.

WOW!

Weaver goes 5 and then Mac??

Mark Was that a "Soft" line drive by Ethier?

I tried to post this just as he hit it, but I lost my wireless connection:

"Nothing soft about that bases clearing triple by Andre Ethier! Excellent!"

I wonder if Jeff can go 6. I think Joe is going to let him try.

Mark Martin has finnally changed his hands and is hitting

15. BlueGal says:

And I think Russ feels like a giant monkey is off his back. Perhaps he can breathe freely tonight and this will carry forward for the remainder of the season. Before tonight every time he stepped up to the plate he looked tense like he didn't want to mess up so he held back.

• Ken says:

Delaying his body turn and hand unlocking actually is speeding up his bat speed. He is finnally listening to the batting coaches.

5 it is.

17. Blue Haze says:

The Headlines from tonight's game:

Mr. Softie goes hard, Mark_Timmons goes limp.

You are really starting to sound ridiculous with your Ethier rants. Get over it, the more you try and prove your point the more absurd it gets. Yes, Ethier is very good with Manny in the line-up, he is also pretty damn good with Manny not in the line-up, they all go thru slumps, Ethier was slumping after an incredible start (only Dodger to be player of the month thus far this season), he has now begun to get it all back together.

Just back from a piano party, my wife and other students play for one another, then have food and laughs. When I got in the car, turned on XM and what a surprise . . . Dodgers leading.

Hey Mark, yesterday morning I call Russell — and gave him some pointers on hitting. See, he is not bull headed — he followed my advice. You are welcome !

Mark

Please add an ESL link so that the people that can not understand your posts might in a few years.

20. doyerfan says:

great game all around by the boys in blue again tonight.weaver was more than what anybody expected.clutch hits tonight unlike last night. the over used boys in the pen came thru again.belisario's ball sure moves A LOT.. my last post was that martin and furcal's swings were getting their life back and martin proved it tonight again. furcal laid off a lot of tough pitches and worked 3 walks. the angels and other teams sure try to make him chase the inside curveball a lot and he' s showing more discipline at the plate.i think you may be right mark, the dodgers are only going to get better..nice to see a lot of blue in the stands…go kershaw!! go dodgers!!!

That is exactly what Andre needs to do if he wants to shed the "soft" moniker.

22. CaptainLoose says:

As long as Furcal is healthy, he will be a contributor on this team. Maybe it has taken him this long to get comfortable after back surgery. Martin, for whatever reason, had developed some bad habits in his swing. I look for both of these pros to work it out and be part of this push to the play-offs.

This is a very good team that has been put together. I am still not sold on the starting staff, but they have surprised me. I still am concerned about a Torre run bullpen as they get a lot of work over the course of a season. It's just now summer, and the days are going to get longer and hotter. Will this staff hold up?

Stay tuned.

In the mean time, if I am Jed, I am burning the phones looking for that 200 inning 4.0 arm that is out there somewhere. And yes, I use 3 minor leaguers to get it done. This is our year. The time is now.

23. CaptainLoose says:

Weaver goes 5 on 66 pitches. Now that's our long reliever. Good work Jeff. Pay attention to the old pro youngsters. Trust your stuff and just throw strikes.

Blake hitting .352? No way? Casey Blake? I'll be dipped. It can't last.

Martin looks like maybe he has it figured out. It's a long season kids, just relax and let this thing unfold. I like our chances, especially when Jed goes out and gets us a veteran arm at the deadline.

I think Ethier tried to carry this club with Manny gone. When he just stays calm and does what he does, he will put up a year's worth of decent numbers. A lot of these guys will.