This Year Has Been Rough…

This Year Has Been Rough…
  • On Wednesday my brother and I made the trek to Greenville, Ohio to bury another uncle.  This is the third time in about 6 months that we have been there to bury our aunts and uncles – all were over 94 years old.   My bother and I are the last of the Mohicians.
  • In February, my right hip started hurting all the time.  Last Friday, I was on crutches.  June 23rd I am having my right hip replaced.  I am in constant pain and I look forward to it, but I am scared to death!  I hate blood.
  • Business has been tough this year.  In our water treatment business, we are up 6%, but it is a real struggle every day, with the economy the way it is.dodgertown
  • I struggle with being able to do just the simplest things – you take for granted that you can walk.  Damn, it’s hard when you can’t.
  • A guy came up to me yesterday and asked if I was Phil Jackson – I am tired of that already.
  • I tried to sell the ad space and sponsorships so that Tony Jackson could be our “beat writer” but with the economy and my pain, it just didn’t happen.  I am not used to being defeated, but I was, and it hurts that I couldn’t help my friend Tony.
  • Good Luck and Godspeed to you Tony.  I wish you nothing but the best.  Do what your heart tell you to do.
  • I love all you guys on this board, especially the ones who like to argue with me.  I have a special place in my heart for you.
  • I’d like to beat my 23-year-old son’s ass, but I can’t anymore.
  • I have a prescription for 150 Percocets that I have not filled.  Doubtful that I will.  I will be gald when this is over!
  • I planned to be in the pressbox at Cominsky Park for the games next week, but I’ll be in the hospital then and the surgery pretty much kills Milwaukee in early July.  Miguel will continue to give update from the Dodger Stadium Pressbox, however.
  • There is a  chance I’ll be ready at the end of July for St. Louis, but I will defeinitely return to the pressbox in  Cincy, Auguest 28-30.

Dylan Hernandez of the LA TIMES has an article about the O-Dog which articulates why I was not in favor of giving up the 17th pick to get him.  What has happened with Orlando is a miracle!

Kensai of www.firenedcolletti.now has re-named and moved his blog to www.memoriesofkevinmalone.com.  I’m not sure that will help him get a press pass.  I guess it can’t hurt.

18 Responses to “This Year Has Been Rough…”

1. BillRussell says:

Mark, good luck to you with the upcoming surgery. I know you'll do just fine. Phil Jackson? Wow you are big like him but It stops there. I also know you've tried just about everything in keeping Tony aboard and we all appreciate it. Paid sites just don't work in todays economy so I'm glad you didn't go that route. Sponsors must be very hard to come by these days. I hope I'm one of the one's that your happy to have fighting/throwing out ideas with you on a daily basis in here. When I was out 2 weeks ago having eye surgery, you sent me an e-mail wondering were I was. That truely felt good knowing that my Dodger family was concerned. Thanks for that and good luck to you. You still have the best Dodger site out there with or without the Pro's. P.S. you should still sale T-Shirts to help you with some of these costs. Put me down for 2-3 X-Large's……

2. BillRussell says:

Sorry Roger, Don't read this ………………………………..
    The Lakers pulled off a great win last night. I had almost written them off but they found a way to win. It looked like no one on the Magic wanted to shoot the ball at the end of the game. They couldn't even inbound the ball. D Howard/Turkalou (however you spell it) couldn't make a free throw to save their lifes and the Lakers defense turned it up a notch. Stan Van Gundy (Magic's coach) said that playoff experience doesn't matter after the game? Stan, you had better rethink that one. One to go………………….

Golly, are they still playing hoops???

Is Gobie's (or whatever his name is) trial over? How much did that gal get?

Heck, if the Spurs had a healthy Mono, and 6 new younger players — they would be in the finals instead of the Bakers. But that is life. Just ask the Yankees.

4. Blue Haze says:

Get over it RD, Kobe cleared his name and is doing a damn good job clearing his reputation, as well. Roger, since you are dreaming you might as well throw in the idea that the Spurs could be in the finals if they had Kobe and Ariza on the team (my aunt would be my uncle if she had balls).

Wow, sorry to hear about the aches and pains of life, Mark, I won't even begin to relay my list of ailments. All those years of being the hero on the field or court are taking a toll on me little body. Good luck with surgery and recovery. (You never have sent me a nice personal email, you rat bastard).

Mark, The Tony thing is for the best, as I have voiced. We are better off without fish-hacks anyway. I was really surprised when you added him knowing your despise for fish-hacks, at least you used to profess that (maybe you are doing the Ethier is soft chang-a-roo type thing with fish-hacks now).

BillRussell, I thought the same thing when I heard Stan VG telling the media that experience doesnt' matter in the finals. Obviously he is just trying to give his players something to cling to (besides Gasol's neck and back, Kobe's entire body, anyone else that ventures into the lane with the rock).

• BillRussell says:

Haze, you didn't get a personal email because you fight with Badger a little more then I do. And you know Mark has a special place in his heart for the Captain.

Wow Mark. Heavy topic. It is never easy watching loved ones pass on, I too have had a rough couple of year lately. I know that many people will tell you they know how you feel when in fact no one ever could. I really am sorry for your loss.

Good luck with the hip surgery. You will be up and at 'em soon. I am sure you are nervous but we all know you will be back swiping bags in no time.

We all are buckling down in this economy. I know we will all pull through if we stick together.

God speed Mark. Talk to you soon.

6. CaptainLoose says:

It is not easy losing loved ones, but if your uncles made it into their 90's they won. Good for them. My dad made it to 91 and he was ready to move on. I wasn't sad at his dying, I was happy for his living.

I don't know how you get done what you do Mark. You got more energy than I do, that's for sure. Of course, you are a decade younger too. The new hip should help, but I wouldn't expect to be back out on the playing field again any time soon.

I thought for sure the Magic would pull it out. Looked to me like the refs wanted to even the series. Howard sets more moving screens than any big man I have ever seen, yet they called them on Gasol. The game plan to beat the Lakers is to beat them up and the Magic were doing just that right up to the point they couldn't make a shot.

What was that young girl doing in Kobe's room late at night? I'll tell you what she was doing, setting up her retirement. Shame on her, and shame on him for being stupid enough to get set up like that.

Spurs? Aren't those calcium deposits?

Quick story:

My dad was diagnosed with bone cancer, and when it was apparent it was terminal, and hospice said they could keep him alive maybe another 6 months, he ordered the feeding tube removed because he didn't want to live like that. We had two weeks to say our goodbyes and my older son, who was 9 at the time sat and reminised for hours about all the things they had done. He's 23 now, but has never forgotten that.

8. SpokaneBob says:

Hope the sugery goes well Mark. Have you thought about a bionic unit? You could have a whole new career as a placekicker in the NFL.

I do appreciate all the effort you put in here and the bounty of information you provide.

9. mark_timmons says:

It is titanium, and I will be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I'll be more powerful than a locomotive.

Look, up in the sky…

It's a bird,

It's a plane….

It's a bird (wiping crap out of eye)!

10. lawdog says:

Tell your son that grandparents are over rated. I should know. I've got two children in their 30s who are married but haven't given me any grand children to spoil.

I lost my grandparents when I was a teenager. It was a sad experience but didn't really shake my world. When my dad died 15 years ago I was devastated. I still have dreams about him. The worst thing that can happen to you is to lose a child, followed by a close second–losing your spouse. The way my father's death hit me, I pray I never have to experience either of those two possibilities.

11. Ed Tolbert says:

Mark.
    2 titanium knees, soon to be 62 and going strong. Once you are through with the pain-in-the-ass rehab
    you will jump for joy at being pain free. Sincere wishes for a "perfect game" in the hospital and recovery
    to a "stand-up" guy.

Ed

12. Gonzo says:

Mover, I know you will be fine. People who have always been active throughout there lives see life in a different view when our bodies begin to break down. Know how competitive you are, I know this will only slow you down a few weeks. One thing that I do recommend you do if you haven't done so is to lose about 10-20 lbs to give all your joints and other important bones less pressure. I know that I will eventualy need knee surgery on my right knee. One of my ligaments got torn playing soccer and I postponed surgery. What helped me trmendously was losing weight. You'll be fine you 6'5 250lb BABY!!! ;)

Quick story:

A year later, he went through the same thing with his mother (she died when he was 10). He sat by her bed and talked to her every day for 3 weeks and we were with her when she died. Death is part of life and a reality we all have to deal with. You can't avoid it or sheild kids from it. They have to undersand and it helps them immensely if they are part of the process. The sad thing is, that my 10-year-old does not have any grandparents from either my wife's side or my side.

14. mark says:

6' 3-1/2" (I've shrunk) 247 (on my way to 220).

Mark, how long is Patty going to give you to be on "the bell?" You know, Patty bring this and that; Patty I want another beer, Patty I cannot find the TV remote . . . that kind of thing.

As you know my wife had a hip replacement a year ago March. What she found ot from others that had hip replacements is this — "you will almost back to normal, and the pain gone, but remember if you bend too far, reach too far, and the hip goes out — it is back to the operating room and the Dr. has to go back in . . ." So if you want to go back to playing softball, check in with the over 80 league. Coaching basketball, no more dunking the ball. Because of this, you voice will get louder (but I don't know how that can be . . .)

Mark, you just go to sleep and when you wake up, you'll be good as new. I asked my doc once before one of my 8 surgeries what they did in the old days? He deadpanned back, they died or they hurt really bad. Congrats on deciding to replace that squeeky wheel. P.S.The night before the surgery, get out the Sharpee and write on your body; This side/ No, not this side : ]

17. lawdog says:

I have a friend who is a doctor who said he had much better luck than I did. If I screwed up I could expect to get sued for malpractice. He could bury his mistakes!