Rants & Raves

Rants & Raves

Just a few things to think about:

• Logan White does it again!  He drafts a stud hitter and turns him into a pitcher (Aaron Miller).   I think he has a pretty good track record on this, and a LH with a 90+ fastball is not something that dangles from trees.
  • Nice to se the Dodgers get another Wallach brother (Brett).
  • As many pitches as Billingsley threw and didn’t get to the 6th inning, let’s not forget he’s 8-3 with a 2.73 ERA.  He’ll improve…80086334GN006_DODGERS_V_PAD
  • If you watched Russell last night, he was beat up with all the bounced pitches in the dirt.  I mean there were an AMAZING number of pitches in the dirt.  He’s not perfect, but he is as good at blocking pitches as about anyone.
  • Martin was safe at 1B – bad call by the ump!
  • Ethier is really swinging the bat well, but to become one of the elite hitters in the league (and I do think he can become one), he has to start hitting those bombs with RISP.  He’s barely above .200 in that situation.  As Ken mentioned, only Raffy is worse.   Once Andre does that, he’ll be deemed a star!
  • It was good to see Manny back with the team.  He’ll start a rehab assignment in about 2 weeks – I wonder where he’ll go?   The Dodgers could send him to play 2 games at every level – Great Lakes, IE, Chattanooga and Albaquacky.  Wouldn’t that be cool for the fans there?  Not gonna’ happen….
  • Raffy looks “defeated”  – maybe it’s just the slump, but he’s not the same player he was.  His defense is still good, however.  If he doesn’t get it together by July 3, the O-Dog may leadoff.
  • I don’t see the Dodgers trading Pierre THIS season, unless some team looses their leadoff hitter and “overwhelm” us.  He’s too valuable.
  • If James McDonald has another couple of good starts, he’ll be pitching for someone else soon.  He could  be the centerpiece in a deal for a starter.
  • The pen does it again!
  • Ramon Troncoso is developing into an excellent set-up man, even when he’s wild!
  • I’ll discuss the draft picks after the draft is over.
  • Any Jason Schmidt sightings?

32 Responses to “Rants & Raves”

1. Blue Haze says:

Mark,. how exactly do you "loose" a leadoff hitter.

2. CaptainLoose says:

"but to become one of the elite hitters in the league (and I do think he can become one), he has to start hitting those bombs with RISP. "

There you go again. Why is what you say true? Last night he hit 2 solo home runs, each one of them was hit with 2 outs. And we end up winning by 2 runs. That isn't clutch in your world? It is in mine.

And even with his .230 avg. this year WRISP he is still hitting .290 WRISP for his short career. He will get it up to .300 by the end of the year. Andre Ethier is aruably our best hitter. And we are a very good hitting team.

3. CaptainLoose says:

And even with his .230 avg. this year WRISP he is still hitting .290 WRISP for his short career. He will get it up to .300 by the end of the year. Andre Ethier is arguably our best hitter. And we are a very good hitting team.

Badger, I am on him because I expect MORE from him. I see a "process" occurring here, and he can either stay the guy he has been or choose to become a superstar. I had doubts about his mental makeup lending itself to that superstar status, but I can see progress. All he has to do is change his thinking and become the hitter I think he can be.

I hav an employee who I am constantly "riding" and he knows, understands and appreciates why I do it – it's because he is capable of more than he is delivering. I don't ride him in a bad way, but he knows I think he's better than he shows. I feel the same way about Andre. Andre is older and more mature than Kemp, Loney and Martin and he can be the first superstar of the bunch.

I truly believe that if he changes his thinking he can be a .320/40/130 RBI guy. He has the talent. Until recently, I doubted he would exploit it…

Haze, you lasssso him with a noose.

6. Blue Haze says:

Yikes, you really don't know the difference between "lose" and "loose"? Okay, maybe you do need to let Tony "the mercenary" Jackson take over.

One more visit on the "pay Tony Jackson" issue. This is a Dodger fan website, Tony is not a Dodger fan, he is a fan of whatever team or town is paying, thus he is a mercenary not a fan. I still think an occasional article from him is appropriate but numerous Jackson Columns just make this any old sports site with basically fish-hacks running the show, just like all the dying newspapers do, and we can see what is happening to them.

I may be the lone voice on this, but that doesn't make me wrong. What do some of you other original posters think? Come on Capt.Lose or Loose (for the spelling impaired), you been around awhile, you must have an opinion.

The Ethier is soft argument is getting very lame and silly. Mark will always change like a stop light on what the definition of "soft hitter" is and the rest of us will shake our collective heads and exclaim "Has Mark been watching the same hitter that we have been watching?"

FYI to Mark: You are correct, Ethier is going to be a great hitter; you are also incorrect, Ethier IS a great hitter and he will improve even more in the future.

Another FYI for Mark: Ethier ain't reading your "constant riding of him", he probably doesn't even know you exist or what you write. So you can quit "riding" him in here and exhorting him to new batting heights, just stick to some real logic in assessing him in here. We all can see for ourselves that you have some desire to drive your point home to make yourself look good, reality is you are making yourself look silly beating to death a dead horse. You are correct, CaptLooseLose, the guy hits two bombs with no one on base and he is soft, yet they win the game by two runs. How about this for Mark, maybe Ethier would have hit those two bombs with men on base, if MEN ACTUALLY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ON BASE AHEAD OF HIM. So I guess I now see Mark's point, Ethier is soft because the players in front of him didn't do their job and then he comes up and does his job. Makes total sense now.

Watch out for the Rockies led by Jim Tracey. Who would have thought?

I like the new lineup with the over the hill gang hitting 6th & 7th.

Let Kemp try batting 3rd.

8. CaptainLoose says:

It's Loose Haze, not Lose. It was the name of a tournament softball team I played for years ago.

Mark you expect a lot out of Ethier, and in my opinion you are getting it. He only has what amounts to two and half years of at bats in the bigs, and he has produced with them. He is a career .296 hitter. He will get better, and should have 10 years of .300 with 30 HR 100 RBI in him. What more do you want out of a player? He is never going to be a Pujols/ARod type hitter, but, neither is 99.9% of MLB.

OK, I'm just going to come out and say it. If you have ever played the game, you understand how in the bottom of the 9th with runners on 2nd and 3rd with two outs, you just feel a different kind of pressure than when the bases are empty (even if you are behind).

While I am happy that Andre got those two HR last night, I was more impressed with Matt Kemp's single to drive in a runner with 2 out! I have never felt that Andre was THAT guy. But, I think he can be THAT guy! There is just a different kind of preesure when there are runners on than when the bases are empty. I know you have played and know what i am talking about, Badger.

I have often felt that Andre didn't respond well to those pressure situations, but his 6 walk -off's in the past 2 years has changed my opinion and I think he will continue to grow.

By the way, Hazzze, I know Ethier doesn't even know or care who I am…

Ken,

I would like to see Kemp at 2nd or 3rd.

In fact, when Manny gets back, I'd like to see this:

1. Hudson 2B
    2. Kemp CF
    3. Manny LF
    4. Ethier RF
    5. Blake 3B
    6. Loney 1B
    7. Martin C
    8. Furcal SS

12. CaptainLoose says:

Blake at 8.

Yeah, I know what you are saying, and I don't really disagree with the general point. But I am of the belief that hitters hit. Ethier's career avg. is .296 and his career avg. WRISP is .290. And a two out RBI is clutch, whether it is a single with runners on, or a dinger with the bases empty.

I'll just go with your point about expecting a lot out of Ethier. I do too. I think he is good enough to compete for a batting title. But he may be better suited for the 3 hole than clean-up or 5th. I think he is that good, and will get better over the next 5 years. I hope we can keep him.

13. CaptainLoose says:

Blake at 8.

Kemp at 5.

Martin at 6.

14. lawdog says:

Reverse Ethier with Kemp and I'll buy yhour new lineup Mark.

Furcal is the new Pierre. Bat him 8th or 9th until he hits .280 and his OBP is.325

Martin should bat 7th because his brain needs to do just one thing at a time. Take the pressure off so that when he is thinking about his post game celebration while he is in the batters box, walking off of first base or starting to move toward that breaking ball when it is 2 feet in front of the plate he can relax. NO pitcher quick throws to first base when the runner is slowly walking toward 2nd unless he KNOWS that the player has a reputation that he does not pay attention. Adderall is banned in Canada so now that he is in the US he can obtain a prescription.

16. That lineup makes me drool, but I would swap Loney and Blake. Loney is our RBI guy and Blake strikes out too much and does not hit for enough average, yet.

I think that the entire team needs to rally around the Foundation and all grow beards. I will plead my case at today's game. Actually, some of our guys are so young I am not sure that they can grow beards. Wouldn't that be something else, a team full of bearded guys! That would be great and maybe we'd get more attention from ESPN so that they can take a break from all the Red Sox and Yankees crap that they seem to fixate on so much.

I like Marks lineup. Kemp in the two hole works. I sure wish Hudson was stealing bases but with him being so fragile, I wouldn't risk it. Here's why : If Hudson was a threat to run like Pierre or Raffy (at least Raffy used to be) Kemp would see a ton of fastballs. He would be a monster.

What can we do with Raffy? Do we see a DL in his future? At least to get right? I wonder if DeWitt is going to see some starts at 2nd and SS soon to spell these guys?

18. BillRussell says:

All you raffy haters would like my lineup but here it is.

Furcal
    Hudson
    Manny
    Ethier
    Kemp
    Loney
    Blake
    Martin

19. BillRussell says:

All you raffy haters won't like my lineup but here it is.

Furcal
    Hudson
    Manny
    Ethier
    Kemp
    Loney
    Blake
    Martin

20. BillRussell says:

If Torre is as patient with Martin as he should be with Raffy, he'll gain his stoke back. Nothing is wrong with Furcal. He hit a dinger a few days back to tie the game for Softie to win it. Remember………..

21. BillRussell says:

Nice DP that DeWitt hit into last night. I tuned in just in time to see it in between commericials of the NBA finals. Sorry Roger and DRomo. It's just too important not to mention.

Don't get me wrong I like DeWitt but I like him on the bench. Not in Raffy, Blake or Hudson's spots…….

22. Good point DRomo, maybe DeWitt is here to get ramped up to speed because the team is leary about Furcal's health! That will be my first question to Torre tonight!

Everyone, give me your questions, what would you ask Torre if you had his attention tonight? I will be at the game as a press member and will get to talk with him before the game, and possibly after. Also, follow the twitter feed on the site here in the left sidebar or directly at http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk

• BillRussell says:

Ask him, if there ar e any concern's with Raffy's health?
      Will DeWitt get many spot starts each week?
      What are the reasons for Martins struggles at the plate this year?
      Does he think the Dodgers might obtain another starting pitcher before the trade deadline this year?

• BillRussell says:

Ask him, if there are any concern's with Raffy's health?
      Will DeWitt get many spot starts each week?
      What are the reasons for Martins struggles at the plate this year?

23. Knickerbocker Dave says:

Nice thread. You know what would really help this blog? More Yankees talk.

24. Knickerbocker Dave says:

Blue Haze, the 'change like a stoplight' blast was very high quality. I shall continue to tune in just to find out what fine dish of smack you're serving next.

25. CaptainLoose says:

Ideally you want a LH hitter with good speed in the two hole. Hudson. But you also need a .380 OBP guy leading off with speed. That is ideally. We have that with Pierre/Furcal, (flip them too) when both are right. So far, Furcal isn't quite right, but I am hopeful. Ethier bats third until Manny gets back. He is our best hitter and with runners on, and the pitcher in a stretch, I like Ethier there. Loney is another 3 hole hitter. He seems to like it there.

Loney/Ethier hit 4 because they are our best RBI guys. Kemp at 5, power and average. Martin at 6. Furcal at 7 until he gets it figured out, maybe that will happen when Manny gets back and Blake at 8. He hit .317 when he was a fixture there, I put him back there.

Everything changes and people move down when Manny returns. I am hoping Furcal gets his lead-off mojo back by then because Pierre will sit. Furcal, Hudson, Manny, Loney/Ethier/Kemp, (flip them any way you like) Martin, Blake. If they are all hitting on 8 cylinders, that is one potent lineup.

26. CaptainLoose says:

?'s –

pitch count issues – get ahead in the count – throw strikes – go 7+.

why isn't DeWitt playing everyday? He should be and the only place he can do that is AAA.

Is Kuo coming back? Is Schmidt ever going to pitch again (I think I can answer that one)

I got no problem with Furcal leading off. If he is right, and he might be close. Furcal Pierre is the ideal lead-off tandem for this team. Hudson can hit anywhere and start a rally.

Yankee talk? OK. Why isn't ARod suspended?

• Knickerbocker Dave says:

Probably his admirable dress & grooming. I'd personally like to see a clean shaven Manny less the rat's nest. Shave & a hair cut (2 bits) would really help sell the contrition. First mistake Manny made was not calling Peter Gammons.

• CaptainLoose says:

not calling Peter Gammons what?

• Knickerbocker Dave says:

Seriously, more attention to his personal appearance would do wonders for Manny. He could probably score in a Gillette commercial with Tiger, Jeter and the tennis/soccer dudes. How sweet would that be?!