No Headline, Just Sidelines

No Headline, Just Sidelines
  • caseyblake052909Randy Wolf has whooping cough?  A wolf should never whoop!
  • Ohman and Vargas are pitching but the Dodgers will leave them both a full 30 days, I believe.  If you remember, I said Ohman should have started the season in the minors.
  • Jason Schmidt may resume his rehab – yeah and I might run a 4.2 40 after surgery!
  • It has been reported that the Weaver Brothers pitch against each other on Saturday.  That is fasle!  Neither will bat!
  • Check this out  Scott Elbert:  57 IP/56H/77K/25 BB/1.41 WHIP       Josh Lindblom:  48 IP/44 H/40K/8 BB/1.08 WHIP  – 8  BB is very Good!
  • Matt Kemp may be in the process of becoming a star!
  • I am working on a stat that quantifies clutch hitting throughout all the different clutch situations.  I have to tweek it some, but no matter how you tweek it, I have bad news for Andre Ethier fans.
  • Kemp was safe at the plate!  Bad call.
  • Casey Blake IS having his career year!   Good timing, in my opinion.

45 Responses to “No Headline, Just Sidelines”

Check out THT and their clutch stat

"Clutch" is the name we've given to the portion of Bill James's Runs Created formula that includes the impact of a batter's batting average with runners in scoring position and the number of home runs with runners on. The specific formula is Hits with RISP minus overall BA times at bats with RISP, plus HR with runners on minus (all HR/AB) times at bats with runners on. This stat is not a definitive description of "clutch hitting," just one way of looking at it.

Is it time to platoon Ausmus and Ellis?

Ausmus is 7-3 this year with alot of starts with #5 pitchers
    Bills – 3
    Karoda – 0
    Wolf – 2
    Kershaw – 1
    Others – 4

Does Martin have any options left?

The Dodgers are playing like, this game does not matter, because the Giants lost today.

Ethier played a, I cannot mention has name, but it is the Dodger who bounced out to 3rd base when he should have gone the other way, and Andre missed a change to become the player he should be.

4 zip now. Wake me when it's over.

It's similar to that, but more encompassing because it "weights" RISP, depending upon several factors, including outs and position in the batting order (more is expected of middle-of-the order hitters). It probably won't be definitive either. However, so far, it pretty much mirrors the Hardball Times.

I think Joe needs to sit Russell for a few games.

6. Juan Pierre Fan says:

Don't waste your time; there's no such thing as 'clutch'.

7. Gonzo says:

If your name is Juan Pierre, you're right, there is no such thing as clutch.

you sure look like a fool now and ethier has the most walkoffs the last 2 years in all of baseball

You see that's the difference between me and you.

Some people are so very adept at seeing the obvious immediately, that all they ever see is the "tip of the iceberg."

If a guy has 2 walkoffs this year and 28% more opportunities to drive in runs than others on the team and yet is second tp last on the team in hitting with RISP, does that tell you anything?

It should tell a logical person that Ethier has had some dramatic walkoffs, but he is prone to failure more than almost anyone on the team this year. Does that mean anything?

Or should I not confuse you with the facts, because your mind is already made up?

10. CaptainLoose says:

Ethier is a career .295 hitter. His last 4 year combined splits read this way:

Leading off an inning he is hitting .320.

with runners on he is hitting .280

with runners in scoring position he is hitting .290, with an OBP somewhere around .370.

What's wrong with those numbers?

Can't we just wait and see how this thing plays out for the entire year?

Loretta sucks. Pierre has come back to earth. Martin is not right. He needs to sit for a couple of games and work batting practice.

Anyone notice the Dodgers are averaging over 42K a game? On their way to 3.5 mil.. I think mover is going to owe me some push-ups.

Look, Andre Ethier may become a superstar, but right now he is a dud, even with all the walk-offs. I'm glad he had the walk-offs, but look at the stat Ken linked to last night. I didn't have much time to look at it then, but I just did now. Use the "clutch" stat and you will see that if Loretta sucks and Martin is not right, Andre Either is worse than both of them!

Also, attendence was down about 6% two weeks ago – I'll check it again.

Russell Martin looks at Juan Pierre and says to himself, "man, I wish I had his power."

Real Numbers – Ethier
    Clutch (2009 Really Bad Year)
    2009 – Minus 6.8
    2008 – 0.4
    2007 – 1.2
    2006 – Minus 0.8

BA/RISP (2009 Really Bad Year)
    2009 – .233
    2008 – .328
    2007 – .286
    2006 – .300

Other Really Bad Years – Check your memories about these guys and then realize how bad Ethier is this year.
    2008 – Kent (-7.7); Blake (-5.7); Jones (-5.6); Kemp (-5.1)
    2007 – Pierre (-6.8); Kent (-6.3)
    2006 – Cruz (-4.5)
    2005 – Choi (-5.6); Bradley (-5.3); Drew (-4.7)

((( Folks, Mark has never liked Ethier, because Andre got in the way of that catcher I will not name. He has been on this for more than 3 years now. Maybe Mark would trade Ethier to the Cubs to get Bradley back. )))

It might be time to try someone else in left field a few games. In his last 17 games Pierre has 73 official ABs, he has 15 hits for a .205 average (in that time). Droping his average from .407 down to .330. Fact it, when Furcal is not hitting and Pierre is not hitting and they hit 1 & 2 in the order, the Dodger seem to have a much harder time to win, and to come back winning games.

Back to Ethier, in June he is hitting .321, with 5 HRs, 4 doubles, and 11 RBIs. OBP .368 and Slugging avg. at .679

The guy behind the play, for the month of June is hitting .093 with 0 HRs, a total of 4 hits (all singles) in 43 ABs. OBP is .188 and Slugging avg. is .093. But, he does have a bunch of very hard hit line drives that were caught.

15. lawdog says:

Give Mitch Jones a chance in left! I'll bet if he gets 10 abs in a row he'll whack 2 taters! Or he won't..

How funny is it Ethier can't get out of Mark's crosshairs! It is tired arguement by now isn't it? The guy has how many (non-clutch) walk off hits this year? But we all know by now that Mark is just motivating Andre :)

It might not be a bad idea to plug someone else in LF a game or two. This way Jones can get some ABs and the Raffy might get used to back to his spot on top of the order again. That is a different approach.

Mitch Jones: What a great story! With all the power numbers he has you knew his first big league hit would be a dunker! I love that the fans reacted to this guy. Lets hope he gets to stick around a while.

Kemp and Blake have been the most consistent position players this year so they are my current candidates for Dodger MVP.

Hudson might make the all star team but he really needs to rest. Let Castro play 1-2 games a week for a while. Hudson could even DH a few times. Pierre needs to rest. Let Jones play LF and get ready for the DH.

Martin needs a week off according to all fans with eyes and now many scouts.

Its is tough to watch agood pitcher try to go through his spring training during June – Kuroda

Leach is learning how to pitch. I hope Ohman does not have a no trade clause.

Mark – Please give Law Dog an allowance so that he can cover Manny's Rehab assignment.

When was the last year that the Dodgers drafted 2 catchers in their top 7 picks. The Brass knows that Martin's days are numbered.

Mark, Listen it is like I said. It is a tired arguement to me. If you like to re-hash it every so often thats fine this is your site. I just point out he has a couple of walk offs this year and last year that apparently didn't come in clutch situations. I am learning so much here, thanks Mark.

Let me ask you something. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant have missed more shots at the buzzer than they have made. I ran into that stat a few weeks ago. But I know know that I should excpect that from 2 "journeyman players". It is all making sense now!

I meant "I know NOW these 2 players were journeyman"

22. KPIZZLE says:

A journeyman Mark? OK admit your wrong on that one isn't a journeyman a player who moves from team to team? I'll answer that for you yes it is and Ethier has only played for the A's (which I'm not sure he ever even got called up) and the Dogers.____Save it.

23. mark says:

Last on on the Dodgers in Clutch Hitting

3rd Last in the NL in Clutch Hitting

Save it!

You are embarassing yourselves!

24. mark says:

KPIZZLE:

"A journeyman is a player who has been around the leagues a long time. He probably isn't a star, but is valuable nonetheless. "

Now Krizzle, how am I wrong?

25. mark says:

I AM NOT SAYING I WANT TO GET RID OF ETHIER!

26. James says:

This is his fourth season is that considered a long time? He is just entering his prime.

27. James says:

You don't know how he's going to turn out its pointless to keep up this sherade of how horrible he is in the clutch. Yeah he hasn't hit well in clutch situations this year so what its June theres a lot of time left, not to mention he was great in the clutch last year. Its rediculous to say that one year a guy can be clutch and the next he loses it. Regardless he is one of our best hitters this year and is just entering his prime he's looking to be a consistant 25 homerun hitter 100 rbi guy who will bat around 280. Ill take that any day especially for as cheap as he has come. I think you should focus on the bigger problems on this team, Russell Martin, James Loney he is 25 now and only has 2 home runs and slugging under 400 and he has also be in the league for 4 years. Matt Kemp and Ethier and Blake are our 3 best hitters and they should all be hitting in the middle of the line right now. I am also surprised no one is angry that Torre is bunting with our number 3 hitter in the lineup, same as making James bunt. He blew both of those chances for the Dodgers, if you don't think a guy can hit in those situations why is he batting there its ridiculous.

28. James says:

Also Jame Loney is last among 1st baseman in the national league in OPS, isn't that concerning to anyone else? Ethier and Kemp are 9 and 10 respectively in OPS in the national league, so I don't see how an argument over Ethier is warranted. Also Martin is second to last in OPS in the national league for those who qualify. I'm not saying I want either of these players gone, but I find it ridiculous that there is such a debate over Ethier, when there are many other players on the Dodgers who are not living up to expectations.

29. lawdog says:

I think it's obvious Ethier has trouble with breaking pitches like a lot of power hitters. He's worse at biting on pitches breaking off the plate when he puts pressure on himself. Last year he proved if you bat him in front of Manny he is aces! Hits 100 points higher with power. I think it's because he's comfortable not having to be "the man". When Manny gets back he's probably going to blow opposing pitchers away. He'll be incredibly rested and have a chip on his shoulder–something to prove. Now if Joe is smart He'll bat O-Rod 1st, Ethier 2nd, Manny 3rd, Kemp 4th Loney 5th Blake 6th Furcal 7th and Martin 8th once Manny is back

30. lawdog says:

For all the millions he makes, Joe is a complete idiot when it comes to filling out a line up card or pulling tired pitchers.

We all can have different opinions but any of us calling a career baseball guy with rings an "idiot" is like me telling Bill Gates how to run his computer.

I love how smart we all are in here. You know with all our managing skills, GM decisions and titles we have won! Anyone who doesn't see it our way is an "idiot". You tell 'em.

my comments are getting locked in cyber jail know?

33. lawdog says:

my posts just go poof! no trace of them once I hit "Submit comment"

34. lawdog says:

If you open your eyes and watch Torre you'll see I speak fact, not just opinions. Dozens of examples haver already been cited by me and others here on the board. I swear, getting some folks just to open their eyes and observe the obvious is like trying to herd dozens of feral cats!

Joe is coasting and dozen notice when a pitcher is "done" and leaves him in an inning to late after all the wheels have come off the wagon. His line up cards some nights look like he blindfolds himself and throws darts at an enlarged copy of the roster. He bats slumping players in the power slots or leadoff slot for weeks before he gets a clue and makes a change. How long did Blake hit 8th when he was the best player we had? Just because you make a lot of money doesn't make you smart. Look at Wall Street. Open your eyes and watch what happens. Joe won't change his stripes. He'll coast as long as he can. Only if threatened with being fired will he focus and pay attention. Count on him making the same errors from here on in. It won't happen every night. But it will happen way to often for him not to be ashamed of himself.

I don't want to trade Ethier and I think Martin needs to be benched, but I just want to show that Andre Ethier ain't all that. He's a journeyman player who has a chance to be a lot better, but THIS YEAR, statistically speaking, he is the absolute LAST Dodger you want to come to the plate.

Those June stats look good, but Ethier is 3rd to last in all of the NL in clutch hitting and he is the WORST on the Dodgers this year. Only 3 hitters in the league are worse than his -6.8. Martin is at -0.3 and Pierre is +.5. If anyone needs to sit, it's Ethier! I'm not looking at the last month or week – I am looking at the season.

People rag on Martin, but this year and last year Martin was better than Ethier in the clutch, but they see the "tip of the iceberg" – those 6 walkoffs and forget about all the failed at-bats below the surface.

Nothing would make me happier than to have him break out starting today, but how can you support a guy who is the worst on your team in the clutch? Even worse than Martin!

I get it Lawdog. I too wonder why Torre does somethings. It drive me crazy when he tries and bunt with Loney yet a couple nights ago Furcal is up with runners at 1st and 2nd , no outs and he is hitting away!! I don't get it. BUT…. "He is an idiot" ? I don't know. I have to say he wouldn't still be in MLB if he was an idiot. Also we WOULD be in MLB if we knew what we were talking about! LOL

Oh well. Good day all.

I don't always agree with Torre, but he has won too many games to call him an idiot. His greatest strength is his belief in his players. It's also his greatest weakness.

As a result, he does leave some players in longer than they deserve. Case in point is Martin.

I think people here think I dislike Andre Ethier. That's simply not true. I am calling for Martin's benching, not Andre's. I am just pointing out that he needs to get better in the clutch.

I looked up OPS and found Ethier at #56 for both leagues, or in all of MLB. So just who is lower than him? So I looked at the names, and I see:

57. Granderson, 63. D. Jeter, 64. O Hudson, 67. C. Crawford, 69. M. Lowell, 71. H. Blalock, 73. J. Werth, 74. A. Rowand, 78. M. Holliday, 79. D. Lee, 80. P. Konerko, 82. S. Victorino, 91. A. Rios.

No listing after #100…

Also, M. Kemp is 45, C. Blake is 31.

That tells me in all of Major League baseball this year, for the Dodgers, it goes, Blake, Kemp, and Ethier. Thus, for the Dodgers you can figure out just which ones are below our top three.

Slugging average for the Dodgers on the mlb list: #24. C. Blake; #54. Kemp .490, #62. Ethier .476, #89. Hudson .444

In both stats, Ethier is our 3rd guy on the team. Bottom line, I did not see Martin on the, HE IS NOT ON THE LIST. (now I am yelling like Mark, with caps.)

Romo,

Did I make up the part that Ethier is last on the team in clutch hitting? Yeah, it's funny that I would pick on a guy who is last on the team and 3rd to last in the NL in clutch hitting. What am I suposed to do, parise him for lack of clutch hitting. If you enjoy being deluded, then so be it. I'm not following the crowd.

Roger,

Martin is having a horrid year, but the fact of the matter, in the clutch, the Dodgers have a better change with Martin than Ethier.

That is what the truth is.

The player that I am toughest on, James Loney, also happens to be my favorite Dodger. He has so much potential, that everytime he doesn't come through I am dissappointed. I think Mark looks at Andre that way. I think it would be the perfect time to DL [ head case, or whatever they call that new anxiety illness that is popular nowadays ] Martin. I really think a 15 day vacation to clear his head might be in order. Or he could rip that damn J of the back of his uni just to see what happens, I'm sure his Mother wouldn't mind if he started hitting.

41. lawdog says:

Alright, I'll relent. Joe wouldn't have the success he has had if he really was a bona fide "idiot" I should reserve such an extreme adjective to describe Dick Tracy. Slightly lower in average when it comes to managing a game in progress or setting the line up before a game. But very above average with his people skills and getting a team to play over their heads.

• Blue Haze says:

That's DEL Tracy, LDog.

Just an idea, Mark, how about a story on "Ethier is actually Destiny's Dodger", then you could tackle two of your favorite subjects. Wait a minute I got a better headline, "Ethier is actually Destiny's Dodger, but Beltre should have been". Now that would be a kick ass article. (Just yanking your bad leg, MM).

Say what you want about how bad some of the guys are, but all I can say is all those guys that have been mentioned are playing for the No. 1 team in the MLB. Those slouches, sofites and idiots must be doing a few things right so far this year. SCOREBOARD!!!