June 8, 2009 – Dances With Wolf

June 8, 2009 – Dances With Wolf

I like Randy Wolf – I really do, but he’s not going to go 7 inning many times, and as he gets over that 90 pitch mark, LOOK OUT!  I hate second-guessing, but I just KNEW that Joe was going to take Wolf out after 6 solid innings.  Joe’s greatest strength (his belief in his players) is also his greatest weakness in that he tends to leave a guy in past the point of usefulness.  Now, if were were ahead 8-3, I’d let him start the 7th inning, but Joe really should have pulled him after 6.  I know that Joe Torre has a few more wins as a manager than I do and I respect that, so I won’t beat that drum anymore.  Hindsight is 20-20 – but pull him after 6 next time, Joe.

Again, we didn’t get timely hitting.  The HR ball can score them in big chunks and if we don’t hit homeruns, we have to be very good in situational hitting – and we weren’t!  It’s that simple.   It was the bottom of the Phillies order that did us in too:  Rollins, Feliz and Ruiz.

andy-larocheFor those who don’t know – I have been driving the LaRochemobile for years, having predicted great things for him for a long time.  He’s getting his opportunity now with the Pirates and hitting over .300 – Good for him!  I started following Andy when he hit 30 HR for Vero Beach and then I watched him for a couple of seasons at Jacksonville.  Yes, I literally “watched” him because the Suns at that time had a live video feed of every home game.  It was fun to watch Kemp, LaRoche, Loney, Martin, Broxton and Billingsley develop and I feel a special bond to them for that.  But, even though Andy is gone, he is not forgotten.  I can’t help but wonder what this team would look like if we had not traded Carlos Santana and Andy LaRoche.  I am not a Casey Blake hater and I know that his veteran leadership and clutch hitting is not to be minimized, but I think that we could have acquired Manny without giving up LaRoche.  I also think we could have gotten Blake without giving up Santana.

Now, I have heard that McCourt insisted that he wouldn’t pay a dime for Blake last year, so that is why the Dodgers had to throw in Santana.  However, I think that is probably too simplistic.  I don’t think McCourt is so stupid as to give away a top prospect to save a few bucks.  I’d like to know the real story.

We had a vigorous discussion yesterday on the merits of Russell Martin defensively and while I see Russ not hitting the way he is capable, his defense is stellar.  I disagree that he should be able to get all of those wild pitches.  It was suggested that Yadier Molina is a better defensive catcher than Martin and while that is something that could be argued, I can say for a certainty that Molina is an excellent defensive catcher.  However, look at the pitching staffs of the Cards and the Dodgers – the Dodgers have a bunch of young (and wild) arms.  The Dodgers are first in walks allowed, while the Cards are way behind in 13th place in the NL.  So it is no surprise that they have few Wild Pitches (Molina does have 2 PB’s while Martin has 1).   I have never been a catcher, but Kershaw, Belisario, Troncoso, Billingsley, Leach, Schlicthing and even Wade all have pitches with “late movement.” and it’s hard to catch a 96 MPH fastball in the dirt (with late movement) when you were expecting it in another location.

9 of our 12 pitchers throw 95+ MPH.  Not many teams have those kinds of power arms.  The Cardinals don’t, so how can you compare Molina and Martin when Molina doesn’t have to catch guys throwing 95+ MPH who have poor control.  It’s like comparing apples and oranges.  The fact of the matter is that Russ Martin has the best Catchers ERA (CERA) in all of baseball.  It’s .333, which is amazing.  Some say that stat is misleading.  Please explain how – I’d like to know.   The fact is, everyday on this blog, I read how our pitching staff needs another starter, needs another reliever, needs this, needs that, and I read about how people are fearful of how good our staff is.  However, Russ Martin has to get some credit because our pitching is the absolute best in all of baseball at this juncture.

Not to put down Ausmus, because you never really know, but we did give up 7 runs last night.  How much of that is on the catcher?

Troncoso and Wade both have 4 WP.  Billingsley, Laeach and Weaver have 3 each and Kuo, Kurodo, McDonald and Mota all have a pair.

Interestingly, Clayton Kershaw has only 1 Wild Pitch – He isn’t missing by much.

Lawdogs Minor League Report is absent because our e-mail server “fried” on Saturday and I cannot get e-mail.  Hope to be up later.

60 Responses to “June 8, 2009 – Dances With Wolf”

1. CaptainLoose says:

Well said my friend.

Brooklyn asked yesterday about the Blake LaRoche deal. I don't remember exactly how it started, but somebody said Blake was leagues ahead of LaRoche in all categories and I made the bet that if he had a full healthy year, LaRoche, in what amounts to his first year in the bigs, could outhit Blake. I thought it was a reasonable wager because I could see Blake's lifetime stats right in front of me and they weren't all that. LaRoche has hit the snot out of the ball at every level he played. His only problem was staying on the field. I have no idea what the heck happened with the Blake and Manny acquisitions, but at the time LaRoche for Manny was a gift and I didn't question it. Still don't. Blake? He's ok, but a three year deal seemed stupid to me. He's not that good. He is hitting .290 now and has not hit that high ever, so I doubt at this age he will do it this year. He is a lifetime .265 hitter with a .786 OPS. Very pedestrian for a third baseman, not even in the top 20 for that position.

• BillRussell says:

Badger you have selective memory I guess, the way you remember things makes you seem like a genius and everyone that bets with you a numbskill. The way I recall the bet was that you couldn't stop crying over Andy's spilt milk so I / Dromo decided to bet on who would have the better year. Now your saying that you can understand losing Andy for Manny but losing Santana for Blake is a crime. You speakth out of two sides you your lips my friend.

2. CaptainLoose says:

(continued)

I too wish we didn't have to trade Santana.

Molina Martin – both have Gold Gloves. I don't trade Martin for obvious reasons. He is the leader of our defense, and is a decent bat. That's what I want out of my catcher. And, we have a multiple Gold GLove catcher behind him, so now is the time to give him a few innings off now and then. Let him rest his legs while he works on going to the opposite field with about 200 swings a day.

Mark, I agree with you on Belisario, and not knowing where the ball is going when he pitches.

As you know, I have been talking about this, his pitches, since the beginning of this season. He is very similar to Antonio Osuna, both do/did not know where their pitches are going, thus, neither does the catcher.

This brings up the real issue for me — the depth in the major leagues. No team has 4 or 5 good starters. No team has a shut down pen. No team has a really solid bench. Many teams DO HAVE players that should really be in AA or AAA, but the parent club needs ANY player that can get close to the major league playing level — to fill out the roster.

The Dodgers have Belisario here, because they do not have a lot of other choices. But he really should have spent at least the first several months of this season in the minors, to correct some of this faults, gaining control. He is another player in the majors, learning what he should be doing in the minors.

Mark I won't re-hash the discussion from yesterday regarding Martin vs. Molina. You know where I stand and I'll agree to disagree.

As for our pitching I still think we need more. Here is whyI a short series we will want 3 solid starters. If we go up against the power teams with damn good arms…and we will. Supposing we start round one today, we would start who? Bills, Wolf, Kuroda? Wolf is erratic, his last two outings haven't been stellar and although he has bee solid mostly I don't think he scares anyone. Kuroda is a time bomb. He was money last postseason but he has made 3 starts this year and you always have to worry about his arm.

Kershaw is going to be great but at 21 I don't see him as ready for playoff baseball yet. He may prove me to be wrong but he can run his pitch count up so fast and early he will wear out your bullpen fast in Oct.

This continual discussion on Russell Martin is getting old now. One person here, considers Martin an All-Star and expects him to be on the squad this year. The few from the stands is — there are really no Johnny Bench's or Mike P's in the National League this year. We are in the winter of our discontent.

Others here are simply disappointed that Russell is under performing to a degree.

Example: Martin's salary for 2009 is $3,900,000. Or about $4 million.

In the last 10 games Martin has played, the Dodgers are 6 and 4. During that time he is 6 for 35, with 2 runs scored, 1 double, 0 triples, and 0 HRs. And most important 0 RBIs.

Also, he has struckout 8 times, has 5 walks, and has 1 stolen base. In those last 10 games, his batting average is .171.

Another, in his last 7 days (5 games), he is 1 for 18, with 0 RBIs.

See Mark, that is what we are seeing. The Dodgers need him to perform. So, we all hope that maybe he will wake-up and be a tiger the second part of the season.

(continue)

In the end, because he is popular with the fans all around baseball, the N.L. might just put him on the All-Star team — and as Mark points out, he is the catcher on the best team in baseball, that does mean something.

It is just that we fans expected more from him, and so far, he has not delievered. The rest of the Dodgers are carrying Martin's bat right now. Maybe the two days off in a row now will help him.

• Vigil says:

"The rest of the Dodgers are carrying Martin's bat right now."

My only response is to ask how many more games do we have to wait for Mannywood to come back to Hollywood?

• Mark_Timmons says:

I see what Martin is doing and his hitting is sub-par. He needs to step it up… and he can pretty quick. He could easily be at .280+ by the All-Star Game if he just does what he did in May, but if he's not doing that well, then he shouldn't be in the All-Star Game. PERIOD!

I have just been pointing out that he does a whole lot more for us than hit.

Many baseball experts say you can NEVER have enough pitching, I agree. I don't think it is wrong to explore the option of bringing in a true #1. A solid guy to put at the top of the rotation to compliment C Bills. I said the other day, imagine a rotation of Halliday, Peavy , or Oswalt followed by Bills, Kuroda and Wolf!! That is awesome with Kershaw being #5. We could keep his innings in check this way.

With this offense (don't worry it will definately pick up when Manny gets back) and a rotation like I am hoping for the sky is the limit! Throw your stat book out the window. Look with your eyes. Throwing retread pitchers out there every 5th day will only get you so far. Sure we have the "best record in baseball" now but come Oct. you get the best of the best and look at the Cubs and Angels last year, do you think they are happy with having a successful stat book? NO!!

I believe you are getting better or you are getting worse. This is our year we have to improve this roster. We have to go big this year.

Saw this on the World Crossing Dodgers board, posted by Badger:

Click on the video.

9. CaptainLoose says:

I would take Bills, Kuroda and Wolf into a post season series. And, I like what our pen is doing. Our pitching is surprisingly good.

But I agree that we will likely need another starter to get to the finish line. I don't think we need to knee jerk now though. Let's just see what is happening at the deadline.

It looks to me like we are the class of the West. If we don't fall completely apart we should win it and we could win it rather easily. Who else is any good really? Everybody looks .500 to me. And the upcoming schedule, with the exception of Texas, is against teams with mediocre records.

I would love to see us keep winning and have the best record as that will come in handy in the post season. I think we will, especially when Manny gets back. Pierre can't possibly keep hitting over .350 so by the time he cools off, we have our best hitter back.

I believe we will be players at the deadline. Between now and then, let's just stay cool and see which way the wind blows.

Capt' — I agree with you, Pierre has been great with the stick when his name was called, but there are times he is no more effective than a little league kid in "A" class ball. That little ground ball to the second baseman, and that short pop fly to the left fielder. He only bats 1 or 2 or 8th (unless the pitcher bats 8th, moving him to 9th).

Boy, that Hamles really was something the other night.

Today is a day of rest . . . .

I am not content to be the class of the Western Division. I hope no one else is. We should look at the elite teams in baseball and their pitching staffs. That is who we should strive to be better than.

I don't want a knee jerk thing but I think we should explore what is out there. If we can bolster the rotation with a quality arm we would be awesome. We need a pitcher that can go the distance and save this bullpen in most of his starts. Right now we don't have that guy.

For you stat guys that are in love with our bullpen look up where we are in innings used! This bullpen is going to be tired come October. Are bullpen looked pretty good last year too statistically. Then Mr Wade met Mr. Victorino & Mr. Broxton met Mr Stairs. OOPS!

The Dodger position players are obviously tired and June should be a month of rest and low expectations in anticipation of the Dog days after the All-Star game. It is what it is and what should be does not matter. Instead of trying to win every game Torre should try to rest his players while winning 55-60% for the rest of the year.

Three of the relief pitchers are overused and tired (Broxton, Belisario and Troncoso). Fortunately Wade has movement on his pitches again, Mota is no longer being messed with by Honey and is back to an average pitcher, Leach is learning to pitch, and several pitchers may be ready to come of the DL in the next 30 days. (Vargas, Ohman, Milton, Stults)

The Dodgers are still on pace to win 107 games, several of the players were significantly overperforming (but are not now), the bench has been average since April, and who is performing in June is obvious

Length should not be a problem

AprilMayJune
    Pierre 0.400 0.369 0.300
    Hudson 0.337 0.328 0.143
    Loney 0.313 0.273 0.320
    Blake 0.243 0.353 0.211
    Either 0.306 0.211 0.370
    Kemp 0.325 0.292 0.292
    Furcal 0.250 0.240 0.227
    Martin 0.205 0.330 0.056

The dodgers have won 66% of their games

If they win merely 50% of the rest of their games they will win 91 games, if 55% then 96, and if 60% then 101. 91 wins should win the West.

15. lawdog says:

Amen to Torre not knowing when to make a pitching change Mover. I had an experience similar to yours yesterday. Ruth wanted me to explain to her what was happening as the game progressed so she'll better understand it. As we went to the 7th I was explaining to her why Torre had to remove Wolf at this stage. She stopped and corrected me saying-"-that's the same red headed pitcher who was there last inning."

My response was to say: "Oh crap!" She wanted to know what I thought was going to happen as a result of the mistake our million dollar manager was in the process of making and I told her; "I think the Phillies will hit a couple of home runs and put this game out of reach."

When the inning was over she wanted to know how I knew more than the manager about our starting pitchers. All I could say is that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to manage baseball.

Then I told her some horror stories about our former manager Dick Tracy… :-o

16. BillRussell says:

I'm not sure what happened yesterday as I took the day off for the NBA. The last time I checked it was 2-2 and Wolf appeared to be crusing along. The only good news from what I hear is that the Lakers are up 2-0.

There are two schools of thought on Pierre:

1. Keep him because you never know when an OF might go down; or

2. Trade him (in a package) and get some value back (like a starter).

You never know which way is right until after the fact.

I would deal Martin for the right deal (we would have to get Peavy or Halladay). The Pods won't want Martin – he'll be too expensive for them, nor would they want Pierre.

Unless Toronto implodes, I can't see them trading Halladay, so Peavy is the man. I also get the feeling that Adrian Gonzales could be had in the right deal.

This could be a 4 or 5 way deal, but would you trade Pierre, Martin, Loney, Elbert and Stults for Peavy and Gonzales? Pierre, Martin and Loney would go to other teams.

This would be our lineup:

1. Furcal SS
    2. Hudson 2B
    3. Manny LF
    4. Gonzalez 1B
    5. Kemp CF
    6. Ethier RF
    7. Blake 3B
    8. Ellis/Ausmus C

Rotation:
    1. Peavy
    2. Billingsley
    3. Kuroda
    4. Wolf
    5. Kershaw

Put McDoanld back in the pen and that lineup would win!

• DRomo says:

This lineup would be a killer! I just can't see SD trading those 2 to the Dodgers.

Interesting thing about Martin being involved in a trade is sending him to Toronto in a Doc Halladay trade would be Toronto could spin it as bringing home a Canadian AllStar.

I honestly don't see it happening though.

Re Halladay – The Toronto GM said during spring training that they will not trade him during 2009 because 2009 is a rebuilding year and they are targeting 2010 as their break out year. Unless the Jays go completly in the tank by the trading 2009 deadline please do yourself a favor and not get your hopes up regarding Halladay.

Mark

What about Loney, Lindblum and Leach for Gonzalez?

21. Roger says:

Ken, that might be Okay, but I would want to have some other deep lower minor league, can't miss pitchers, before I give up Josh Lindblom in a trade like that.

Loney is a wash to Gonzalez, Leach is a throw-in (maybe).

Loney would make us pay big time and I think Lindblom will be a stud. Also, Loney is too close to getting the big Bux , I would do Lambo instead of Loney and McDonald and Stults instead of Lindblom.

But I want Peavy too.

I am hearing the Angels may jump in the Peavy sweepstakes. I know Peavy says he wants to stay in the NL but staying in SoCal may be appealing to him.

I would trade Loneyin a package for Gonzo. Adrian Gonzalez is a monster. He is everything we hope Loney will turn out to be. I would say if we can put him with infront or behind Manny…oh my God… That would bolster any offense.

One thing for sure is Ned will do something. Even if it is a small trade he will do something.

Anyone interested in Carl Pavano? He looks good this year, not great but good. He is on a cheap 1 yr deal in Cleveland and they are going no where fast. He may be cheap and just enough if we don't want to trade anything too valuable? I am just thinking out loud here.

24. SpokaneBob says:

Joe Morgan said he thought the Dodgers might trade Pierre after Manny came back.

Put me on the keep Juan list. Not only could something happen to one of our starting outfielders, but having Juan on the bench makes us a better team. It is a nice thing to have a player who can pinch run and steal a base to get into scoring position late in a game when we are down a run. In addition, he deserves to a part of whatever sucess we have this year. He has certainly contributed more than his share. I saw a story about Donney Baseballs effect on our team and appearently Pierre has been working closley with Mattingly to improve his hitting. So I believe he will continue to hit and contribute when he plays and he will still have a high trade value this winter.

25. CaptainLoose says:

ESPN.com's Buster Olney says if the Padres deal Adrian Gonzalez, it will be during the winter. Here are the reasons why:

The Padres have alienated their fans by letting Trevor Hoffman leave and trying to deal Jake Peavy in the midst of an ownership change. They don't want to risk disturbing their fan base any further.
    During their 1993 fire sale, they traded Fred McGriff and Gary Sheffield away, but kept Tony Gwynn. This year could be similar if the Padres trade Peavy after seeing Hoffman leave and they want to have a franchise player.
    The Red Sox would be interested if Gonzalez were available now, but Olney says more teams would bid during the offseason, when the Padres could get better players in return for their star.

26. Roger says:

Spoke Bob, I really agree with you, that Pierre needs to be there at the end of this season. Without him in the Manny time-out situation, the Dodgers could have played only .500 or less ball for those 50 games. Juan has made a big big difference.

Without Pierre, the Dodgers would have made a trade (thus giving up someone for only 50 games) OR have played Paul or Repko or someone else out there. That might not have worked.

27. CaptainLoose says:

Gonzalez is probably the most cost effective power hitter out there. He signed an extension in 2007 that is a piece of work (Towers) and is only going to be paid around $8 mil for this year and next, an an option of $5.5 for 2011. If he is available, big if, teams are going to be lining up to get him.

We want a solid arm in the rotation, we wait until July the 31th and see who is available. We don't trade Loney or Martin, we got chemistry going here. Chemistry is important. We first burn through all the potentials that are here, then we find a pitcher who can eat up some innings and trade a couple of lower level prospects for him.

Hey, we don't HAVE to do anything. Just explore the options and decide if it improves the team. That's called "dealing from a point of strength."

• Ken says:

The Dodgers do need to do something. That something is to move people around in the batting order, have more days of rest, and mandatory extended batting practice with soft ice cream for the many Softies on the team.

Mr. Softy ice cream, INC. Is the #1 soft serve ice cream in the philippines with more than 150 outlets nationwide

29. Blue Haze says:

So true Mark and CaptLose, we don't need to do anything at the moment. We are in first place, by a significant number, and we don't need to "take" any deals from anyone, we can wait and "make" some deals.
    I don't see Peavy getting even a sniff of the Dodgers, as much as he must want to come, Padres wouldn't do that.
    PIerre needs to stay on the team, even when ManRam is back ramming. He is too damn valuable to just toss into a deal. Now if he is part of a very good looking deal for a #1 SP, then ship his ass out, otherwise, he has to be a Dodger.

Mark, you've got your perfect opening for that Destiny's Dodgers stuff, I think it may fly with the masses after the last week of comeback games.

I hear so many complaints about Torre, that I would swear we were a below .500 team, however he does it, he does get it done, Torre must be doing something right.

Speaking of that did I hear that our beloved ex-manger DEL Tracy is an interim manager somewhere? Or was it just something I was smoking?

30. Roger says:

Wait a post-season minute.

That is match-up time. As we know, whoever we face in round 1, will have top notch pitching. Not a scrub. The hitteres will be facing a key pitcher in the league. Thus, we need at least 3 solid arms. Maybe we have them now, maybe not. As the season cointinues, we do not see 3 solid Dodger starting arms, Ned will have to add something.

Here's the deal with Peavy: He can veto trades and has. If he knows the Dodgers want him, then the Padres have no choice but to deal with the Dodgers. They HAVE to get rid of him and he's in the drivers' seat, which could put the Dodgers there too.

Tracy is manager of the Rockies.

The creamiest, dreamiest soft ice cream,
    You get from Mister Softee.
    For a refreshing delight supreme,
    Look for Mister Softee.
    My milkshakes and my sundaes and my cones are such a treat,
    Listen for my store on wheels, ding-a-ling down the street.
    The creamiest, dreamiest soft ice cream,
    You get from Mister Softee.
    For a refreshing delight supreme,
    Look for Mister Softee.
    S-O-F-T Double 'E', Mister Softee."

33. BillRussell says:

STAT UPDATE

LAROCHE R=24 H=53 HR=2 RBI =27 AVG =301 OPS = 792
    BLAKE…….R=29 H=52 HR=9 RBI=35 AVG = 292 OPS = 889

footnote: Andy still has 2/3 of a season to get his annual injury.

34. CaptainLoose says:

avg., OBP, RBI, HR, and runs – right? Hits and OPS?

And seems to me Blake is the one with the owies.

Roger, what's wrong with Bills, Kuroda and Wolf as our three starters in post season? Bills has a 2.59 ERA, Kuroda 1.62 and Wolf 3.62. With our pen, I think those numbers give us a great shot, especially with Kershaw being there too. As long as those guys are still standing at the end of the year, and we have home field, I think they make us a real threat. What I want is a seasoned pro 5th starter that can eat up some innings and win 50% of the time. Who is that? I have no idea but guys like that always come available.

35. CaptainLoose says:

Gonzalez is probably the most cost effective power hitter out there. He signed an extension in 2007 that is a piece of work (Towers) and is only going to be paid around $8 mil for this year and next, and an option of $5.5 for 2011. If he is available, big if, teams are going to be lining up to get him.

36. Roger says:

Captn' — as an old timer, Bills, Kuroda, and Wolf — are not Sandy, Don, and Johnny.

Bills is coming into his own. He has started 12 games, was 4 – 0 in April (outstanding), May was 2 – 3, not as good, and in June is 1 – 0. Total: 7 – 3. 2 games with no decision. He sometimes overthrows and maybe loses focus for a pitch or two. I think he could have had several more win this year. He is really close to be the elite pitcher in the league. We will see here.

Wolf – in April had 5 starts and was 1 – 1, in May 6 starts was 2 – 0, in June has 2 starts and is 0 – 1. So in 13 starts this year, he is 3 – 2. 8 games with no decision. Joe has learned, after 5 innings, have the pen warm.

37. Roger says:

(continue . . .)

Kuroda – In his 2 years in the U.S. he has 34 starts with a 10 – 11 record. Some great games. Like to see him stay healthy. I do not think anyone can project what he will do the rest of the year. Age, injuries. Hope for the best.

I just do not think, right now, these three are the same quality of pitchers that other teams will throw out there. You saw Hamles eat up the Dodgers.

Does Pedro have his bags packed ??

38. CaptainLoose says:

Yeah, I saw Hamels. He can beat the Dodgers. But I still think, if everyone is healthy, ours is the team to beat. Maybe I am looking at things through blue glasses, but I like our lineup better than anyone's, especially with Manny in it, and we have a strong pen – at least so far we have had a strong pen.

Again, it's early. I said a long time ago that the team the Dodgers had on the field at the beginning of the year was not the one they would finish with. I still think that is true. But, I have been surprised by how good our pitching has been. Can they hold up? Stay tuned.

Love the stat update BRuss! Keep 'em coming!

Precious Andy was interviewed today on XM Homeplate. He seemed like a good kid. That said I don't miss him. I take Blakes stability anyday.

Mark sure has a lot of photos of the Precious One. I can't help but picture Mark taking them off the wall scanning them and re-framing them all in the name of putting them on this site. That is dedication. I dig that about Mr. Timmons!!!

40. BillRussell says:

No the bet was AVG, RBI, RUNs, HR and OPS

I wrote it down

NO hits, or OBP

41. CaptainLoose says:

The Precious One? Come on.

With what we are paying the foundation, we could have Adrian Gonzalez and LaRoche. And Loney. And Kemp. Admit it, none of you guys expected LaRoche to be on the field let alone hitting what he is hitting.

Sorry Captain,
    No one is impressed with LaRoche. He had opportunities here to do something. He didn't do it. You can say all you want about his limited playing time but it was the same for all the kids when they came up (except Martin) All the rest did what they had to do and shined when they could.

It has nothing to do with the cost. Blake gives us solid glove and veteran pressence. That is an immeasurable. Believe me his contract isn't preventing anything from happening. I don't get why the money bothers you.

Lets see Andy complete a season first without pulling something. The guy is 20something and has a bad back…you do the math. We will be glad he isn't here in a few years I guarantee it.

Long live the Beard, Long live the foundation!!!

Will there be any newspapers in 10 years? Is a blog like a Model T and a newspaper reporter like a buggy whip?

Are newpaper reporters like Catholic Priests and bloggers like Marin Luther? Is this internet change a similar Reformation where people believe that they can figure it out for themselves?

44. CaptainLoose says:

"No one is impressed with LaRoche"

Well that simply is not true. What you mean is, YOU are not impressed with LaRoche.

Why am I concerned about money? You aren't serious are you? Ask the Royals why they are concerned about money. Ask the Padres why they have to do a salary dump. Ask the Pirates, the Marlins, the Rays, the Twins……… in today's economy, you must be careful who you give the money to. Like Schmidt, Jones etc.. You give away money to players like this, and you may not be able to get the players that you need.

Why does this need explanation?

45. CaptainLoose says:

(continued)

"He had opportunities here to do something. He didn't do it."

He did? Do you know how many at bats he had as a Dodger? Probably not, so let me tell you – 152. With those 152 at bats, with injuries, he hit .220

Do you know what Casey Blake did with his first 152 at bats in the bigs? I do. He hit .230. And he wasn't hurt.

Like I have said many times, I am ok with Blake at the bottom of our lineup. I think we could have done better for the money, but it isn't my money so, we go with "The Foundation". I am pulling for him, he is a Dodger. I am also pulling for LaRoche because I think there are too many people out there that judged him way too quickly.

Badger,

Some people just have no clue…

Hey Romo,

He's a guy who in his first 413 AB's in the Majors hit .223. Since you are so good at evaluating talent (after all ,you have concluded that Andy LaRoche is no good after less than 200 AB's) you would have really dumped him, bcause a guy gets a chance and if he doesn't take it that's it, right.

Oh, that guy who hit .223 in his fist 413 AB's was Barry Bonds!

Hummm….

Are you just a a hater? See, I don't "hate" players and after they are no loger Dodgers, I can still follow them and if they do well, I am happy for them. That said, I would not hesitate to drill Andy LaRoche with a fastball next time we play them.

47. CaptainLoose says:

Andy is hitting .300 in his first full year in the Majors. Will he finish at .300? Eh, who knows. But I do know how many times Blake finished at .300.

By the way, what did Blake hit when he was LaRoche's age?

This could go on, but, why?

48. BillRussell says:

What's wrong with an opinion? You two seem to have them. If DRomo feels that LaRoche is injury prone, he has the right and the facts to back it up. If Badger/ Mr Loose is a Blake hater, then he has the right but one needs to wonder why. I happen to agree with D Romo on most of this discussion. Does that make us wrong? Maybe or maybe not. BUT The real breaking news of the day is not Blake or LaRoche, it's that Adam Lambert is now openly gay. What a surprise.

49. BillRussell says:

Seinfeld disclaimer, "Not that there's anything wrong with it"

Billy,

I have opinions based upon fact. Romo says that "No one is impressed with Andy." which makes it very diffcult to take anything that he says seriously. Everyone can have opinions, but like Jim Rome says "Have a take and do not suck." I am saying that I am not a hater of players, but if you want to be a hater, so be it. I can't prevent that. You can say "I think Andy LaRoche will get injured" or "I never did like LaRoche" and what Can I say, except that I disagree, but if you say "No one is impressed with Andy." when just the opposite is true, then I will call you out!

Insofar as what kind of player Andy LaRoche becomes, history will be the judge.

.302 and a .378 OB% ain't bad for a guy who impresses no one.

Adam Lambert gay?

Well, I would have never guessed that in a million years…

I read the blurb an he may be bi-sexual or even Try-sexual.

Badger,

Some people just have no clue…

Hey Romo,

He's a guy who in his first 413 AB's in the Majors hit .223. Since you are so good at evaluating talent (after all ,you have concluded that Andy LaRoche is no good after less than 200 AB's) you would have really dumped him, because a guy gets a chance and if he doesn't take it that's it, right.

Oh, that guy who hit .223 in his fist 413 AB's was Barry Bonds!

Hummm….