June 4, 2009 – Kershaw vs. Phillies & An Important Announcement

June 4, 2009 – Kershaw vs. Phillies & An Important Announcement

Will the extra rest help Clayton Kershaw pitch better or make him want to throw every pitch 150 MPH?   We shall find out soon.

Tonight’s Lineup:

1. Pierre, LF
  2. Furcal, SS
  3. Hudson, 2B
  4. Blake, 3B
  5. Loney, 1B
  6. Martin, C
  7. Ethier, RF
  8. Kemp, CF
  9. Kershaw, P

mark-faceAnnouncement:

At LAdodgerTalk.com, we are at a critical juncture.  Tony Jackson wants to join with us, and essentially be the “beat writer” for the LA Dodgers.  He  will provide you updates daily (he thinks 20-30 each day) about the Dodgers.  To do this, he has to travel with the Dodgers and be at every game with them.   He has to be at the ballpark when they arrive, and he has to be the last one to leave.   It may sound like fun, but believe me, it is a very hard job.  I am just going to be frank – in order to day this, he needs to make enough money to live on, and cover his travel expenses.  The big question is whether or not we can generate enough revenue to pay him.  How do we do that?  Well, there are 4 basic ways:

1. Donations (I ruled that out right away – it just isn’t appropriate);
  2. Sponsors (two or three companies or individuals who want to “sponsor” Tony to report on the Dodgers on LAdodgerTalk.com);
  3. Advertising (pay-per-clicks or companies who want to appear on our site); and
  4. Special “insider info” area on our site (this is simple a subscription area, where Tony Jackson’s blog will be – it might cost $4.95 a month or $39.95 per year).

I am open to suggestions and I have promised Tony that by June 15, 2009 we will know the answer to that question.  Will he stay and be a permannet part of LAdodgerTalk.com or will he have to get a job somewhere else?   I know what I would like to do, but in reality, this is YOUR blog!

So, what do you say?

Look, we will go on with or without Tony, but Tony brings a unique perspective to this blog.  He has an amazing insight and quite a Rolodex of contacts.  He is also my friend!

19 Responses to “June 4, 2009 – Kershaw vs. Phillies & An Important Announcement”

1. BlueGal says:

I would like to read Tony on a multiple times a day basis. I would pay the subscription rate to be able to do so. The price is well worth the Inside scoop.

2. Gibby's Limp says:

#3 – With paying for cable or satellite coverage of Dodger games, MLB.tv, MLB Extra Innings, and any other online pay-for-content that is baseball related, as much as I LOVE what Tony offers with THE BEST inside Dodger knowledge, I wouldn't spend a cent of my money on a blog. Sorry. Let it fall on the shoulders of a corporate sponsor via Advertising (pay-per-clicks or companies who want to appear on our site).

Thanks for the input, both of you. I understand both sides!

Keep those comments coming – We need to know!

Vold,

I honestly can't answer that question, but I can tell you that there would only be one "insider" section. The rest of the blog would remain the same..

6. Alex says:

I'm open to paying for a fee as long as the updates are consistent. Love Tony and this can become the best blog on the internet regarding the Dodgers

7. Andrea says:

I've relied on Tony's inside info since I found his other blog, and always preferred the take of the DN reporters over the LAT. I really felt like we were missing a lot of info until he landed here. I'd pay a subscription, but would also like to see corp sponsors, and perhaps some assistance from the Dodgers organization, because they know what a great job he's done for their team over the years.

8. Jeremy D says:

I love reading Tony's thoughts – I just can't part with the subscription fee every month. So put me down as a supporter of advertising and sponsorship.

9. Voldomer says:

I would subscribe, but I would also wonder what impact this model would have on the long-term viability of a blog like this? Tony is a known entity and clearly has attracted a number of new people to this website, but if the place changes to a subscription-based model, how many subsequent new people will join in the discussion? Would you then have member and non-member venues on the board? Would there be restrictions on discussing "paid" info in "free" threads? Not trying to be a hater–I'm just curious.

Let me add one thing:

I have never made a cent from this blog. Tony would be our first paid employee and I am willing to do that, but are you?

I have an income – this is my second job (my wife says 1st).

• Michael says:

Love Tony and even though I wish it could be free, I would eagerly pay $5 a month just to be a part of this. That would be cool if LA Dodger Talk could help Tony do what he does best. Jeez, if I do fast food, I always tip the kid at the window a 5spot. It all comes back to you. NOW lets score some runs!

11. KidCuba says:

I refuse to get my news from sources like the LA Slimes and would gladly pay a subscription to keep Tony as my source for everything Dodgers. I'm game… Where do we sign up?

12. ebbetsfld says:

Sponsorship is my first choice, but if you can't obtain enough, I would pay a subscription.

13. CaptainLoose says:

I have given this some thought, and as much as I would like to keep reading Tony I can't justify paying money for a blog.

Go ahead and put some ads up in here if that's what it takes.

And for the record, I would donate a couple of clams to L.A. Dodgertalk if it was a one time thing.

14. Slo Dawg says:

Mark I will gladly pay a subscription fee to keep Tony on board!

Insofar ar the Dodgers go, they are supportive of our efforts and help facilitate things for us, but we really are also competitors with MLB and they will not pay us a dime.

16. RT of D.C. says:

I am new to the blog and an ITD refugee, here b/c of TJ. My preference would be for a corporate sponsor but I'd probably pay if I felt the content bettered the old blog.

17. dodgerfan56 says:

The electronic highway is littered with sites that have tried the subscription model and failed. One would have to get a minimum of 1000 subscriptions at $5.00 per month and that doesn't include travel expenses. Sorry, but I don't think you'll even get 100 people to sign up.

There appears to be a modest number of bloggers here, like myself, who came over from that other blog that Tony was associated with. How many other people, not familiar with Tony's reporting, would pay for the privilege of being a Tony Jackson "Insider"? I would, but I suspect, not many others. Advertising, sponsorships, and other promotional vehicles would appear to be the best primary sources of income, with perhaps, a small "insider" subscription serving as a secondary source. An annual $39.95 fee (or $4.95.mo.) seems reasonable. But Dodgerfan56 may be correct. You might not "get 100 people to sign up."