June 18, 2009 Dodgers Take Series Against Oakland!

June 18, 2009 Dodgers Take Series Against Oakland!

press-box

Well, there was a rather large crowd of 50,492 on hand tonight, with 4000+ walk-ups (a season record). That makes the free parking promotion at Chavez Ravine a raving success in my book. But I have not crunched the numbers on that.

Randy Wolf’s cough did not appear to affect him too much, if at all, as he went 6 innings with 4 walks and only 3 Ks. Not super but it kept us in the game.

Hudson hit a 400+ft solo shot to center and Pierre added an RBI single in the 5th to allow Wolf to leave the game with a 2-1 lead. And….. that’s when the shenanigans started!

A strange play in the top of the 7th led to an A’s run to tie the game at 2-2. Pierre charged a bloop down the line that dropped in front of him, which I thought he could have caught with a dive. But it dropped and Furcal was there and appeared to instruct Pierre to throw the ball in to second base. The only problem is that Oakland’s Rajai Davis rounded third and came home to score while Pierre’s throw lofted into second, where Nomar (who hit the single) easily slid in safe at second.

This, once again, left Wolf with a no decision as the game was tied. Wolf now has 11 no decisions in 15 starts this year and was in line for the win in 11 of those! Talk about tough luck, but hey, winning is more important anyways.

We got the run back in the bottom of that inning on a clutch pinch hit single by Mark Loretta to score Loney from second. However, the throw to the plate trying to get Loney was cut off and Martin was caught in a run down and tagged out with Loretta advancing to second. And Pierre struck out swinging to end that inning.

Troncoso got the final two outs, taking the ball from Belisario in 9th inning for the save, giving the Dodgers the series victory!

vin-scully-press-box

About Miguel Salcido

Professional online marketing consultant, husband, father, completely obsessed Dodgers fan, writer, speaker, and all around sports fan. I represented LADodgerTalk.com in the press box at Dodger Stadium last season. My favorite player is Orel Hershiser. I am currently grooming my 2 and 4 year old boys as avid Dodgers fans. Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk. Oh, and I hate the Giants.

23 Responses to “June 18, 2009 Dodgers Take Series Against Oakland!”

Time to play the red hot Angels, the last team to win a series against the Dodgers. We can thank them for beating up the giants.

2. BillRussell says:

I would sure love to take at least the next two out of three. This is a must series for me being the Angel hater that I am. They came to our house last time and won the series so we must turn the table on them. Has anyone else noticed that the American League teams appear to be winning the majority of the interleague games? Is it an advantage having the professional DH hitter on the team? If you were constructing a team, would you build your team around Loretta as the everyday DH? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I love what he did last night and feel we are miles above the last few years of pinch hitting. I'm hoping for a Mitch Jones DH start this weekend. I wish they would cut back on games or cut out the interleague play. Not a fan of it.

Miguel, when I saw that outfield play that Pierre just plain stopped to pick up the ball — I said to myself, "this guy is a really poor outfielder. It just could be that he does not get good reads on depth and breath on balls in the air…

Or, he does not trust himself diving for balls down the line.

Whatever — I believe and have coached my players in the past — there are certain times in a game, when you have be take total control of your position, and trust that you will make the play. What I saw in Pierre last night was — "I am not sure I can make it, I am not sure I can make it, I am not sure I can make it. So I will be careful."

Also, I have seen him stop on other balls in front of him, and even to his side, then I felt with his speed, he should have gone for it. In the end . . . he has a weakness on those type of balls.

Scouting notes probably have noted that in the past, and teams will run more knowing it.

• Roger Dodger, you are spot on in your assessment in my eyes. I felt the same way watching him approach that ball and it was lofted so high that he should have been able to run it down. And he does look "conservative" in his defensive play. He has kind of always been that way. That is not to say that he has not made some fantastic defensive plays in his carreer, because he has. But he is now a more cautious veteran. Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.

4. Chuy says:

Actually, Nomar didn't advance to second. He didn't really even make an attempt. Not diving was the safe play, because if he didn't throw to second, the run doesn't score. Furcal was out of position. He didn't really have a chance to catch the ball. He should have been the cut off.

5. CaptainLoose says:

Well, the A.L. has the advantage in their parks, that's for sure. What N.L. team has a pure professional hitter sitting on their bench? And pitchers in the N.L. don't hit worth squat anyway, so it's even up at N.L. parks.

Pierre is not as bad l.f.er as some say he is. He gets to the ball quickly and gets rid of it quickly. Doesn't really mater he has a weak arm, he makes up for it with ground speed and hitting his cut-off man.

I think that if Kemp or Ethier had that same play — they go after that ball, and make the play.

Pierre would never had made the play in right field that Ethier did, going into the stands.

7. CaptainLoose says:

The order of defensive talent in the outfield goes from center, to right to left.

Pierre is a decent left fielder. He is what he is. And there are plenty of l.f.ers out there that are worse.

8. lawdog says:

Notice how many runners on second stop at third on a sharp single to left. It's a lot. Now notice how many runners on second score on sharp singles to left when Pierre is out there. They take off at the crack of the bat and dare him to throw it with some giddyup on it to the catcher. He doesn't even try. He just lofts the ball into second on a couple of hops.

I like Pierre. But he might be the worst left fielder I've ever seen with that pop gun arm. If your going to play him in the outfield he should play center like another very similar player we had with the pop gun arm played–namely Brett Butler.

Runners on second are going to score on singles to center no matter who's playing center. Same with sac flies. Pierre couldn't throw out my dead grandmother–but it wouldn't matter if he was in center. Kemp isn't going to trow out anybody on a sac fly from center either. That's why Butler could be an all star cfer and would have been laughed off the field if he was played in left.

Pierre is a Butler clone who can't draw a walk and is otherwise playing out of position.

9. mark says:

Three things on that play:

1. I too thought Pierre could have caught it, but I think he was afraid if he didn't it would go as an inside-the-parker. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Giving up one run was better than 3 runs.
    2. It wasn't deep enough for a cut-off, so Furcal shouldn't have been the cut-off man; and
    3. Pierre "air-mailed" a moonball to 2B – a crisp throw would have enabled a play at the plate. Even though Furcal directed him to throw to 2B, I made a sandwich and drank a been waiting for the ball to come down. His arm is a rag!

10. KPIZZLE says:

Just think about if we had Manny right now. Our lineup would be damn tough even in AL parks. Because as somebody mentioned "how many NL teams have a pure professional hitter sitting on the bench?" …we would with Pierre. He would probably hit 9th granted but that would give us another lead off type hitter towards the end of the lineup.

11. mark says:

Manny would DH and Pierre would play LF, I think.

I still say that Pierre should learn how to play 2nd in the off season. He could learn how to throw as had as Eckstein with his right arm. It is all in the elbow when throwing with the off arm. Of course the way he throws with his left arm makes me think that he has an left elbow injury.

BillRussell, last night when Pierre was catching a ball in short left-center, as the ball was about to be caught in his glove, it looked to me like his glove hand was shaking a bit, or to say it another way, his glove hand looked unsure — just as he caught the ball, if his glove to talk — "it" would have said, "Well, we got it that time."

If WE did, I am sure the Dodger coaching staff, the scouts from other teams — all did.

Would love to look at some older video, like April 09, some from last year, and even 3 or 4 years ago, and see if his glove reacted like that.

Sometime, an illness might be kicking in, and folks will try and hide signs . . . remember th book by Harris, made into the movie: Bang the Drum Slowly !!!

15. BillRussell says:

How about Martin and McDonald for Victor Martinez? Any takers??????

16. BillRussell says:

I would throw in Honeycutt or the 66ers mascot (Bernie)

Dont be talking bad about Bernie (WOOOO!) By the way BRuss how is Bernie going to look in dreads?

Martin is going nowhere. That isn't because he doesn't have value or for any other reason than I think McCourt sees Russ as the face of the franchise for years to come. I am ok with that. I think Martin is talented enough to be here for a while. Also I can't remember a team winning it all or going deep into October after a mid season change at catcher. If we want to move Martin it will have to be an offseason move.

18. BillRussell says:

DRomo, Are we going to a Manny 66er game? Bernie in dreads, that will be a site to see. You wouldn't want Victor Martinez? WOOOOOOW

19. BillRussell says:

VM could be the new face of the Franchise…………………..

20. mark says:

Victor spends half his time on the DL. He's a 1B in waiting!

21. BillRussell says:

I think Pierre should learn how to throw in the off season. His judgement on balls hit out there is horrible. Learning to play 2nd would say we are not going to resign Hudson this off season. He looks lost. How or Why he was playing center field in beyond me. He's done a great job hitting since Manny went on leave but his defense is just bad. Throw it hard and low. Put your whole body into the throw. It's not that hard. It's also funny watching Pierre catch a fly for the third out and he always has to throw the ball to Kemp running in so Kemp can throw it into the stands. I guess he's afraid that he may only hit the rain tarp if he tried to throw the ball into the stands. Crazy