June 16th 2009, Dodgers Win on Walk Off by Kemp

June 16th 2009, Dodgers Win on Walk Off by Kemp

Fantastic game tonight, if you’re a Dodgers fan. The Dodgers overcame a great performance by Athletic’s rookie Dallas Braden. who seemed to have our number early on. Until consecutive doubles by Blake and Loney got us ahead 2 – 0.

Clayton Kershaw struggled but battled his way through five and two-thirds of rough innings to give him a pitch count of 105, BUT no earned runs. Ramon Troncoso torched the joint giving up 4 earned runs in two-thirds of an inning.

In the 8th inning The Foundation had an RBI single and later scored a run to tie the game at 4-4.

A rally in the 10th allowed Matt Kemp to come through with a clutch RBI single and give the Dodgers a 5 – 4 victory over the Oakland Athletics.  Despite James Loney grounding into a double play right before that.

We just seem to keep coming through in so many clutch situations. We’ve seen it over and over again this season. I see some very good signs with this team. They have faced adversity in both batting (That Guy’s ‘Time Out’)) and pitching (Kuroda, Kuo), yet they have overcome these adversities and have risen to become the best team in baseball so far this season.

I wanted to show everyone why I think Twitter is so great. I keep commenting and telling everyone to follow us on Twitter. I just love it for all of the live, real-time, stream of communication that it has. But here is what I saw from all of the people that I follow on Twitter right after tonight’s game…

twitter-is-great1twitter-is-great-2

I love Ramona Shelburne’s comment above….

About Miguel Salcido

Professional online marketing consultant, husband, father, completely obsessed Dodgers fan, writer, speaker, and all around sports fan. I represented LADodgerTalk.com in the press box at Dodger Stadium last season. My favorite player is Orel Hershiser. I am currently grooming my 2 and 4 year old boys as avid Dodgers fans. Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk. Oh, and I hate the Giants.

30 Responses to “June 16th 2009, Dodgers Win on Walk Off by Kemp”

1. Blue Haze says:

No twitter shite in here please, remove that crap. If I want to see twitter-babble I will get an account. Damn kids!

You sound older than me Haze…

So far I haven't Tweeted or Twittered or whatever, but I did open the account.

Twittered ? Way beyond some of us. Looks to me like quick bits to have to talk.

I grew up in Arizona, years ago we communicated like the Indians our there, with smoke signals. It works. Not much cost in those days . . . just a nice size fire, a large blanket, and to remember the signals. You know, one large puff, followed by two short puffs, then a long puff says, "Come home, dinner is on the blanket."

4. Blue Haze says:

Nah, it has nothing to do with age, MT, it is what it is. Is this a fan posting discussion board, is it a fish-hack site (that has been resolved, as of now), is it a typical espn-ish site, or what. Let fish do their swimming, let birds do their flying, let fans do their assessing, whining, bitching, discussing, let twitter do their twitter. Just my 2 cents, but damn if I ain't to the point (and usually correct, IMHO).

5. LOL, it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks! Some of the info is crap for sure in Twitter but you can just stop following crappy people. But I find some great nuggets of info/breaking news on there. The idea is to tell what's on your mind in 140 characters or less. But the thing is that it is live and instant.

I follow people like Steve Lyons, Doug Manschivitz, etc. Alot of players are doing it in all of sports.

Its great for in game updates, trade rumors, and news of importance from around the league.

Any who, looks like its a sore subject around here, with out older demographic. I guess I'll refrain from promoting it, unless the rest of the feedback tells me otherwise.

6. Can't wait for Vin Scully to start Twittering! :-)

7. Tweety Bird says:

What is wrong with Tweets

Kershaw is officially the worst starting pitcher in the NL from the perspective of number of pitches per plate apperaance. I stopped watching were his pitches went last night and just watched where his body ended up after the pitch and correctly predicted 80% of his pitches regarding balls versus strikes.

Can being a pitching coach really be that hard?

Of course when Kershaw follows through toward the plate his pitches are always 2-3 mph slower. No wonder he wants to pitch like Mitch Williams

• The thing that really kills me about this kid is his attitude regarding pitching strategy. He's kind of arrogant in the fact that he says "…I don't like the idea of pitching to contact…" That is just flat out DUMB! This attitude is why he is running his pitch counts so high and walking so many people that end up scoring.

I notice that he gets ahead of guys pretty well. But then its those 1and 2 counts where he then starts to try to nibble, not wanting to "pitch to contact." Then he goes 2 – 2, 3 – 2, and finally the walk followed by the hook after 200 pitches in 5 innings of work! He needs to learn how to pitch to contact, not walk people, and keep his pitch count down! Who cares if he doesn't strike out a batter each inning, we all want to see him pitch 7 + more than we want to see 6 Ks in 4 innings!

Hey Ken, you made we think again about Kershaw. We have discussed bringing up young pitchers in the system before. As I have said many times, and will say it again — the major league level now in starting pitching and in middle relief is so weak — with 30 teams — they will hold anyone that can come near the plate —

old guys, young guys, and those inbetween — just to fill out 11 / 12 on the staff. Even bringing back Weaver, Minton, and adding untested relievers.

Some here wanted Kershaw up when he was 19 and be in the rotation. What we found in the end with him, he is a work in progress. Scouts and his mother, love him.

Last night he could have won another game, if his teammates would have scored a bunch of runs before the 5th inning. (But they did not even have a hit from the other guy.) Then he would have smiled more, coaching staff would have smiled and stood tall.

But in the end, he was not ready with his game, even at this point. Not everyone is Fernando.

Gee, I just looked up Fernando's stats. Wow. Fernando was up at 19 in 1980 for a cup of coffee, was 2-0, in relief in 17.2 innings. He pitched in 10 games, finishing 4.

Then the next year, at 20, he was 13-7 with a 2.48 ERA and started in 25 games, with 11 COMEPLETE GAMES, and 8 SHUTOUTS. Pitched 192.1 innings. 180 Ks. WHIP 1.045.

That first full season, he was on the All-Star team, won the Cy Young Award, Rookie of the Year, was 5th in MVP, and was a Silver Slugger.

On that Cy Young Award, he beat out, Seaver, Carlton, Nolan Ryan, and Sutter.

Kershaw is not Fernando — yet. We all wish and hope and keep watching for him to get it together. But sometimes, he cannot put hitters away, and gets those long counts. But most strikeout pitchers do that. 3-2, 3-2, foul balls back, 3-2 . . . and by the 5th inning he is over 80, 90, 100 pitches. What was it the other day? 85 pitches by 2.2 innings. That is crazy.

But we will all watch his next outing, and hope.

I think that he is overthrowing, with a different follow through, because he knows that he is not ready with the poitches that he has. His pitches do not move enough for him to pitch to contact so he continues to attempt to throw instead of pitch. As I have said several times he needs pitches that have movement. That is the learning expereince that has made Bills and Brox into very good pitchers. Fernando learn that when he was 17. Koufax took much longer. Even Miton and Stults have added pitches in the last year because they know that they MUST. Some guys fail when they are told to add a pitch, Mota & Lowe, and revert back to being good pitchers.

Simply put, for me Kershaw is a #5 pitcher and will move up one spot for each pitch that he adds.

12. lawadog says:

Well Bruss, all my photos make it look lik I've been on a bender unless I comb my hair and beard and put on the three piece monkey suit. I don't have many digital photos, but since small children as well as cats and dogs have always seemed to like me, I'll take another one for my logo. I'd hate to scare the little ones.

13. Voldomer says:

Greetings from Italy, hence the lack of posts recently. Keep those wins coming!

Hey Voldy, when you see the Pope, tell him hello for me.

For the last three pope elections, I found out that I came in 2nd place. I cannot prove it because they burned all of the written ballots.

Move those tweets to where the advertising is located

16. Voldomer, tell the Pope to follow us on Twitter,

• Ken says:

Move the junk out of the way so that our postings can be seen and we do not have to read the dribble of people who have nothing to say with their bastardization of the English language.

• Sil says:

My nickname for Kersh is Claytonimidia…. tweet!tweet!

• Mark_Timmons says:

So far, I don't get the Twitter thing (well, I do to some degree, but not to the point of where I want to do it.). However, I am trying to keep an open mind. Sometimes you just never know. For instance, I always thought that i-phones were "not all that," but after having one, I can't live without it.

I'm not much into texting either, but I am open-minded.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Tonight's Lineup:
    Pierre, LF

Furcal, SS

Hudson, 2B

Loney, 1B

Blake, 3B

Ethier, RF

Kemp, CF

Martin, C

Kuroda, P

YAWN!

• Mark_Timmons says:

Twitter could inspire new socialization among peer groups, or

it could lead us down the same path during the Decline of the Roman Empire.

I don't know…

Not going to be around much for the next 10 days=really busy at work and the surgery stuff, but I nwill swoope in now and again.

I pre-registered at the hospital yesterday and the the nurse said "did you get your walker yet?" To which I replied "No, because I didn't know if I should get Red or Black." What do you mean?" she replied. I said "Johnnie Walker Red or Jonnie Walker Black." She said "we are going to have trouble with this guy."

Walker? Smalker!

• Mark_Timmons says:

Twitter could inspire new socialization among peer groups, or

it could lead us down the same path traveled during the Decline of the Roman Empire.

I don't know…

Not going to be around much for the next 10 days=really busy at work and the surgery stuff, but I will swoope in now and again.

Walker? Smalker!

• Mark_Timmons says:

Twitter could inspire new socialization among peer groups, or

I don't know…

I pre-registered at the hospital yesterday and the the nurse said "did you get your walker yet?" To which I replied "No, because I didn't know if I should get Red or Black." What do you mean?" she replied. I said "Johnnie Walker Red or Johnnie Walker Black." She said "we are going to have trouble with this guy."

Walker? Smalker!

• Ken says:

It is not the existence of Tweets, that has been on the site for weeks, but the prominence of it in multiple places. Just make the Tweet column longer so that the reading is optional instead of in the middle of a post where it is crammed down our throats/eyes

• Mark_Timmons says:

Today's post was about Tweets. It won't be there every day. It will be on the side. No worries.

• Ken says:

Martin is toast, he is the absolute opposite of a team player.

Kemp was safe. The home plate umpire is the same blind fool that was at first base last night.

• Voldomer, tell the Pope to follow us on Twitter, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk

And Ken, one of the benefits of Twitter is that there ARE NO ADS on it. Its just up to the second info from like minded folks. I know there's some hype to it right now but really that is all it is, and instant information conduit.

• Trackbacks/Pingbacks