Categorized | Jared Massey, Mark Timmons

Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

The Dodgers have done exactly that.  They have seized the day.  In a NL West division, that “they” said was said to be incredibly weak (“they” are generally wrong), the Dodgers have just kept up their winning ways and still sit seven ames atop the NL West  with less than 20 games remaining in That Guy’s suspension.  Not bad.

• I am not going to talk about Andruw Jones – Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish (Andruw, You are lucky I wasn’t the manager of the Dodgers – I would have hit you and then instructed the pitcher to hit you with a pick off throw).
  • I am going to talk about Chad Billingsley and how is truly an ACE.  Our Ace and in the last year, only Roy Halladay has won more games.  C-Bill is one of the Top Ten pitchers in 250px-dsc04405_mitch_jonesbaseball (on his way to top 5).  Quick, if you were staring a team today, name 9 starters you would take over Billingsley!
  • Respect Russ Martin – he has been too good and works to hard to shut him down.  He’s entitled to a “down offensive” year.  Look at Dodger catchers in the past:  Scioscia, Roseboro, et al.  Catchers have more off years than position players.  It’s just the nature of the position.
  • Now the BIG NEWS:  The Dodgers sent Jamie Hoffman an Blake DeWitt back to AAA and recalled AJ Ellis and no one is sure who else, but it is speculated that it might be none other than MITCH JONES who has about 100 HR at AAA.  It would be great if at 31, he got a chance to hit in the majors.  I am certain that the Dodgers feel that DeWitt and Hoffman are not benefiting by sitting on the bench.  We shall find out tomorrow.
  • Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com on Clayton Kershaw:

He’s only 21 years old. Seven of the pitchers drafted in the first round of last week’s Draft are already older than Kershaw. Kershaw has 171 2/3 Major League innings and he’s still younger than Chad Billingsley was when he made his Major League debut. That was in 2006 and now, three years later, Billingsley has become one of the best starting pitchers in the league. If Kershaw stays healthy, he’ll probably become the left-handed equivalent of Billingsley. But probably not at age 21. He’s still learning, while being counted on by a first-place club. Four starts back he had a no-hitter through seven innings. Three starts before that he had a shutout through seven innings. In seven of his 12 starts, he’s allowed fewer than three earned runs. If he can do that at his young age, imagine how good he might get.

Tom Shea’s (aka/Lawdog) Minor League Report      6-14-09

THE ALBUQUERQUE ISOTOPES     AAA

Isotopes win 4-0.

Our old friend JAMES McDONALD (W, 1-0, 3.26), showed he’s ready for another cup of coffee with the big club pitching 7 innings of 2 hit shut out ball.  McDONALD walked one and struck out 13!!!  VARGAS (0.00), finished off Round Rock pitching the last 2 innings of shut out ball.

LUNA (.354), hit his 13th home run of the season.  JONES (.292), didn’t hit a home run (snapping his consecutive game streak at 4.)  He did blast his 12th double.  GONZALEZ (.400), hit his 1st double.

HU (.244), must have gotten a new set of contacts as he went 3-5.  LUNA and JONES both collected 2 hits.
THE CHATTANOOGA LOOKOUTS     AA

The Lookouts lose 3-2.

SCOT ELBERT (3.77),  lost the game although he pitched well–going 5 innings and giving up 3 earned runs on 4 hits,  3 walks and 9 strikeouts.  ELBERT has great stuff even when he loses.  LINDBLOM (4.28), GARATE (3.27) and FELIX (2.82) shut Montgomery out the rest of the way on one hit.

ROSE (.271) hit his first triple.  PEREZ (.307) and GILES (.235)  both hit doubles.  PEREZ and GILES both had 2 hit games.

THE INLAND EMPIRE 66ERS               A  ADVANCED

66ERS win 8-4.

BASTARDO (W, 6-2, 3.69), scattered 10 hits over 5 innings to get the win.  The real pitching gem was turned in by ALVAREZ (S, 1, 4.00) who blanked Lake Elsinore on 3 hits over the last 4 innings.

CASERES (.270),  hit his 8th home run in the 3rd inning.  FULLER (.247) hit his 3rd double.

CASERES went 3-4.  Both VAN SLYKE (.303),  and FULLER went 2-4.

THE GREAT LAKES LOONS           A

The Loons win 5-1.

MARTIN (W, 4-3, 4.19),  pitched the first 5 innings giving up 1 run o n 6 hits and EOVALDI (S,1, 4.66),  finished up with 4 innings of shut out, one hit baseball to earn his first save.

GORDON (.289), whacked his 6th double of the season.  GORDON also went 2-4.

35 Responses to “Carpe Diem”

Mark do you think it is too much to ask for as a fan to want to have a double digit lead in the division at the All Star break? I want that for us!

Only if we can't have a triple digit lead.

A.J. Ellis is an interesting guy. He has been around Spring Training for a few years now. In Vero, saw him play some first base as well as catch.

In his late two minor league seasons at AAA his batting average was .321 & .328.

This past March in Spring Training, I remarked about his throwing to 2nd base. Right on the corner of the bag, the first base side.

Why bring him up now, easy —————- Dodgers have 12 straight games against American League teams: Oakland, Angels, White Sox, and Seattle.

That allows Joe to use two of the catches in the lineup each day, with one on the sidelines for injuries or if one is tossed out of a game. Plus it does give Ellis some more major league playing time. And, the exposure is there, IF the Dodgers needed to make a trade in later this season or over the winter . . .

Minor league record: thebaseballcube.com/players/E/A.J.-Ellis.shtml

You know this site: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Ellis

4. lawdog says:

Glad to see Jones get a chance. This looks like showcase time to me. We need another pitcher and we need to include some of the aging prospects in the package if we realistically don't want to decimate the farm when we pull the trigger.

AJ Ellis impresses me – I have watched him GROW for about 4 years. This Spring he looked relaxed and confident and didn't that the "deer-in-the headlights" look he once had. He has good plate discipline and a high OB%. How that translates to the MLB level is yet to be determined, but at the very least, he will be an excellent defensive backup.

Russell Martin is coveted by several teams. It's something to think about. Could we improve by trading him?

I am not certain we can…

AJ Ellis impresses me – I have watched him GROW for about 4 years. This Spring he looked relaxed and confident and didn't that the "deer-in-the headlights" look he once had. He has good plate discipline and a high OB%. How that treanslates to the MLB level is yet to be determined, but at the very least, he will be an excellent defensive backup.

Russell Martin is coveted by several teams. It's something to think about.

I know this is off topic but: Don't look now the Giants are leading the wild card. It is WAYYY early but one has to wonder if they added a bat at the deadline they would be trouble in October with that pitching staff. Lincecum, Cain, & Zito (who looks like he is starting to remember how to pitch).

I too believe it is a combination of showcase and giving these guys a chance at the big league level. I hope this weekend Ellis actually gets some starts behind the plate. Give Russ sometime off. Maybe 2 games in a row.

8. lawdog says:

Unless Zito suddenly can pitch is fastball up around 90 mph and still command it we really don't have to worry about Giant pitching beyond Lincecum and Cain. Still, give the Giants a real power bat and they could make it tough even with Zito throwing 86 mph fatballs that have "hit me" signs on them.

I think that Zito has entered the time in his career, that when he locates his pitches just where he wants them, with the speed he wants, and does . . . he can put in his 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 innings and win, or put the Giants bats in a position to win.

To counter that — the Dodgers as a team, have to stop this, playing like it does not count stuff. They loose focus. Taking pitches right down the middle and swinging at junk pitches.

I think that other teams know that most Dodger hitters lay off the first pitch, so they go for the heart of the plate and get ahead in the count. As I remember when Manny use to play here — he was really ready for the first pitch and drive it.

Nomar, when he was here, drove a lot of those first pitches for doubles and HRs. He was ready.

10. CaptainLoose says:

Dead red hitters are some of the most dangerous hitters in baseball. If strike one is a fastball down the middle and you aren't ready for that, your chances for success just got reduced by 33% – prepare to sit down meat. There are a few guys that you just cannot do that to, and then there is Matt Kemp. If he would learn to drive that pitch into the street behind left field pitchers would be more cautious and miss more on that first pitch. Nomar was as good as anyone in recent memory in making pitchers pay for that mistake.

11. CaptainLoose says:

Glad to see DeWitt and Hoffman back where they can play everyday. Maybe Jones and Ellis are here for the same reasons DeWitt and Hoffman were, to get a taste of the Show and who knows, maybe one, or both, will make the Dodgers keep them. If it is Mitch Jones, I don't hold a lot of expectations for him. Major League pitchers don't make as many mistakes in the strike zone as do AAA pitchers.

But, with Ausmus backing up, how many innings of work will Ellis get? Is something about to happen with Martin?

I certainly agree about Kershaw. I still maintain that it would be great to have a strong and confident Kershaw in August and September. I hope he is still pitching, and pitching well late in the season. You all know how I would have handled him this year.

Good points about trading for a pitcher. I too think it will be done with prospects, if done at all. And I agree about Colletti's moves. But, everyone has 20/20 hindsight. I actually thought at the time Schmidt was a good acquisition. But then, I didn't see the medical report and Jed did.

Lawdog,
    if I remember correctly Zito and his 80-something MPH fastball shut us down the last time he faced us.
    My point is if you look back on the last few years the teams with the best regular season records seem to get lazy and get knocked out in Oct. The teams scratching their way through the season get hot in Oct. and knock out the "better" teams. I don't want us to be the 2009 version of the Cubs or Angels. Sweeping bad teams and splitting with the good ones looks good on paper only. But when we can not beat elite pitchers in the league (Hammels, Lincecum,Peavy until this year) that will bite us in Oct. Sorry guys I am just a worry-er by nature. I hope for the best and excpect the worst. Nevermind me.

13. lawdog says:

Zito's ability to beat us soundly despite not having a fastball he dared to throw anywhere but off the plat–or maybe with late movement on a corner shows just how badly we hit breaking ball pitchers as well as just how good Zito's curveball has been. Good stuff, changing speeds and command is more important than a 90s fastball.

So, I stand corrected. It's time to worry about the Giants if they find a Manny of their own.

14. CaptainLoose says:

I prefer home field throughout the play-offs.

Zito is at on the list of most overpaid players. That list is topped by Jason Schmidt and Andruw Jones.

I prefer the homefield as well, however it proved NOT to help the Cubbies last season. Also unless the NL shows up in the All Star game the World Series will be an AL friendly schedule.

Nice to know we are paying 2 of your top 3 over paid stars.

Lawdog , I don't know if you are serious when agree with me but like I said before I tend to believ it is the sleeper teams that bite you in the playoffs. Teams like the Rockies a few years ago or us (The Dodgers) last year. This time a year ago there is no way anyone would have seen us making that run down the stretch. This team could do it but I would like to see our team become more dominate against the teams we will see in October

If you remember, I worried about them and the sound of the bell back in April. Believe I said that their pitching (after they picked up Johnson) would keep them close. And if their hitters had a strong average year, and as some have said above, add one solid bat in July, they would be there at the end.

We face the Giants 3 times in August and 6 times in September. They are already lining up their pitching rotation for those 9 games . . . can you see those Giant arm's . . . ?

Just for the record the teams that scare me this year are the Cardinals, Braves, & the F'ing Giants. The Giants won't win the division but maybe in the race for wild card.

I believe over the recent years (remember those playoff games against the Cardinals, and Ozzie?) the Cardinals somewhat own the Dodgers.

Dodger hitters are getting better, in some ways, but facing those playoff games, will be facing very very very good starting pitching every game. Manny will do fine. Just have to get Kemp, Loney, Ethier, and others to "know and believe" they are ment for the post season.

19. The Giants are now be labeled the biggest sleeper pick by many analysts to possibly give the Dodgers run for their money in the NL West. I just don't think that they have the talent and depth to do that, but they could make a wild card appearance, especially if the rest of our division plays poorly.

And I HATE the Giants.

20. Blue Haze says:

Badger. I think I detected a Krukow-ism, when you used the term "meat", am I correct?

I think it is funny to hear Krukow broadcast the Giants games and give baseball anecdotes uses such terms. Other than that Krukow is a sap sucking Giants homer.

Tonight's Lineup:

1. Pierre, LF
    2. Furcal, SS
    3. Hudson, 2B
    4. Blake, 3B
    5. Loney, 1B
    6. Kemp, CF
    7. Ethier, RF
    8. Martin, C
    9. Kershaw, P

OK, all you Kershaw naysayers, get on your keyboards! Get ready to say "I told you so."

22. BillRussell says:

If my memory serves me correctly, Clayton will pitch good tonight. He's a 50 – 50 guy now until he learns to throw strikes. Prediction Clayton goes 6 innings and gives up 2 runs.

Will M Jones 2009 hit better than A Jones 2008?

Will Torre send Jones back to AAAA after one game again?

Finnally a batting order that makes sense, although Hudson does need more days off.

Kemp finnally moving up in the order like Beltre did many years ago. Heard that blog many weeks ago

Martin hitting 8th. I seem to remember some wise old men say he should bat 8th 3 months ago!

24. BillRussell says:

I just saw a stat on the MLB Network. Oakland is only batting .204 against left handed pitching. The worst in the majors I believe. New Prediction is Clayton goes 7 and gives up 1. IF HE CAN THROW A STRIKE.

Finally Joe put Martin where he belongs. For his 2 or 3 games last season in that spot he hit like .800 or so. I also benched Russ on my fantasy team for some extra good karma [ Joe Mauer is my starting catcher and I've been playing Russ at 3rd]. Clayton is young and his home and away splits are mindboggling. I agree with Bill, he needs to throw strikes and get that pitch count under control.If he doesn't get it together tonight, I think a 2 week vacation to Albquack may be in order.

I have never seen a pitcher who changes his follow through more than Kershaw except for Mitch Williams. Martin needs to yell at Kershaw or go to the mound every third pitch.

Very astute Ken, I was thinking the same thing. Do they still ride buses in the minors? He has the stuff, but do any of you know any 21 year olds? Case closed. I was pretty stupid at that age, no I was real stupid. This must be the reason of living, you have to be a 21 year old who thinks he knows it all before you can become a 50 something who thinks he knows it all.

28. CaptainLoose says:

Yep, Krukow. I kinda like his style, except for the homer part. He is much better than Mark Grace.

Kershaw ain't going 7 at the rate he is pitching. 77 pitches to get through 4. No runs yet, but imagine how good this kid could be if he could actually throw strikes.

29. Gonzo says:

I'd be good if I threw strikes…

If my aunt had a (blank) she would be my uncle? Right Gonzo?

31. BillRussell says:

Although Clayton didn't give up a run, he struggled all night again with his control. It was a good thing that we were playing the worst team in baseball against lefty's. I will take the win.

32. grumpy3b says:

Question for Dodger fans out there…the BoSox need someone at short…would us Dodger fans think a move at Saito would be a giid idea? I am thinking Hu and ???? for Saito. The could give a trio of Wade, Saito and Broxton for the 7th, 8th & 9th.

Even if it is just a rental, I almost think if that sort of deal can be done, Ned should consider it…

33. grumpy3b says:

Question for Dodger fans out there…the BoSox need someone at short…would us Dodger fans think a move at Saito would be a good idea? I am thinking Hu and ???? for Saito. The could give a trio of Wade, Saito and Broxton for the 7th, 8th & 9th.

34. BillRussell says:

Lawdoggie, I hate to be the first to say this but you have got to change your picture bro. That one looks like you've been on a bender and it may be too scary for small children.