Now That Was A Walk-Off!

martinwalkoffRANTS & RAVES

• Russ Martin couldn’t buy a hit, so he took a walk to win the game.  That’s “blooming where you are planted!”  Now, he needs to sit about 2 games to clear his head.  Maybe Joe could play him at 3B against a tough LH (Blake to 1B, Loney rests).
  • Change Is Not Always Good, But It Is Always Constant!  Diamond Leung and Tony Jackson – GONE!  The OC Register, The Riverside Press-Enterprise and The Daily News are all out of the baseball business… maybe out of all business soon!  Tony and I talked about this possibility – he knew it was coming, but he didn’t think it would happen so soon.  Frankly he’s relieved.  I will be meeting with him in LA next week.  Hummmmm.  What’s that about?   Stay tuned!
  • Something tells me Tanyon Sturtze will soon be a coach (manager, advisor, scout, secretary) in the Dodgers system.   The Dodgers didn’t just decide to release him – he asked for and received his release.  If no one picks him up (and I doubt it), I think he’ll be with the Dodgers soon.
  • Last night was indeed The Kershawshank Redemption!  He didn’t have his best stuff, but he pitched to contact and recorded 7 shutout innings.  He showed he belonged in the rotation.  Actually, he showed he is a valuable part of the rotation.
  • Kuo is headed to the DL – I told you a couple of weeks ago that something was wrong, and it’s his elbow, according to Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com.  With 4 surgeries on it, this could be the end of the line for him.  I would not be surprised if he retires.  Enough is enough!  THis means we need another reliever – L or R – Doesn’t Matter.  Mota looks to be toast so we need another (Lindblom?).
  • Milton or Estes will take Kuo’s place on the roster and McDonald’s place in the rotation – Maybe McDonald will be that additional arm in the pen…
  • BTW Harold,  I never thought YOU were criticizing me, but if you did, it would be fine – YOU have earned it!
  • Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times on Russ Martin:

Russell Martin was too busy to spend much time talking about his batting slump. Why? He had to talk to Kershaw, his starting pitcher that day.

“His catching and his dealing with the pitchers, he’s really been consistent in that regard,” Manager JoeTorre said.

Torre went out of his way to compliment Martin on Thursday night, telling him that he was making a difference even though he hit .205 in April and was hitless in his last 13 at-bats of the month.

“The catching part of it is taking up most of his time,” Torre said. “He’s here when I get here and I’m here pretty early. He’s watching his videos, sitting with pitchers — a lot of things that weren’t going on last year.”

That’s something Martin said he has forced himself to do this season. But he said he’s not trying to force anything in the batter’s box, even though he described himself as being too relaxed earlier in the season.

“I think I’m just not even thinking about it,” Martin said. “It’s not going to happen overnight. I’m not going to get 12 hits in one day.”

Friday’s Boxscore

Burke, C, SS 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 .200
  a-Gerut, PH 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .246
  Sanchez, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Peavy, P 3 0 0 0 0 1 1 .000
  Rodriguez, L, SS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .245
Totals 31 0 4 0 3 6 15
a-Struck out for Burke, C in the 9th.
BATTING
2B: Hairston, S (5, Kershaw), Kouzmanoff (3, Kershaw).
TB: Hairston, S 2; Headley; Kouzmanoff 2; Blanco, H.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Burke, C; Blanco, H; Headley 2; Peavy.
GIDP: Headley.

Belisario, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
  Ohman, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.000
  a-Ethier, PH-RF 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .302
Pierre, CF 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 .391
  Broxton, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Totals 29 1 3 1 4 9 7
a-Flied out for Ohman in the 8th.
BATTING
TB: Furcal; Hudson; Pierre.
RBI: Martin (12).

LA Dodgers IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Kershaw 7.0 4 0 0 2 3 0 5.46
Belisario 0.1 0 0 0 1 0 0 3.38
Ohman 0.2 0 0 0 0 1 0 4.15
Broxton (W, 3-0) 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.75
WP: Sanchez.
IBB: Ramirez, M (by Sanchez).
HBP: Hairston, S (by Belisario).
Pitches-strikes: Peavy 115-79, Sanchez 32-15, Kershaw 99-61, Belisario 13-6, Ohman 7-5, Broxton 20-12.
Groundouts-flyouts: Peavy 6-10, Sanchez 1-0, Kershaw 10-8, Belisario 0-1, Ohman 1-0, Broxton 1-0.
Batters faced: Peavy 27, Sanchez 6, Kershaw 27, Belisario 3, Ohman 2, Broxton 3.
Inherited runners-scored: Ohman 2-0.
Umpires: HP: Rob Drake. 1B: Tim Timmons. 2B: Jeff Kellogg. 3B: Mark Wegner.
Weather: 64 degrees, cloudy.
Wind: 6 mph, L to R.
T: 2:48.
Att: 47,210.
May 1, 2009Box score official statistics approved by Major League Baseball Office of the Commissioner

MINOR LEAGUE REPORT

minorleaguelogos

The Great Lakes Loons lost 6-4 as Nathan Evoldi went to 0-3 with an 6.61 ERA.  Evoldi has been disappointing, to say the least!  Russell Martin’s replacement-to-be, Tony Delmonico, went 2-4 and is now hitting .306.

BOXSCORE

The Inland Empire 66′ers lost 10-4, but Scott Van Slyke and Preston Mattingly hit HR’s.   Van Slyke drove in 3 of the 4 runs as well.  Adolfo Gonzales was 3-4 to raise his BA to .370.

BOXSCORE

The Chatanooga Lookouts won 5-4 and  Andrew Lambo was 1-4 with another BB (.310  BA).

BOXSCORE

The Albuquerque Isotopes lost 6-5 as Eric Milton went 6 innings again with 6 hits, 3 Runs and 6 K’s.   Either Milton or Estes will get the call-up today!

BOXSCORE

28 Responses to “Now That Was A Walk-Off!”

Yep, we got the good Kershaw. I didn’t see the game, you say he pitched to contact without good stuff. That’ll work against the Pads. We won with 3 hits? Go figure.

Sorry to hear about Tony. He seemed like a good guy. Have to wonder about the newspaper business. Everyone gets their news on line now, seems like newspapers are a waste of good trees. Sad.

Bummer about Kuo, but certainly not surprising. McDonald to the pen? Not sure I like that one, but if that’s the decision I can live with it. Milton and Estes. Yoiks. As long as they can get people out.

If I was the Dodger brass I would hire Tony before hiring Sturtze, different jobs of course.

Martin has a very simple problem that should be easy to fix. He is using his hands just like a left handed batter. His right hand is his strength hand and his left hand is his guide hand. Just turn him around to bat left handed and his hands will be fine!

Or, in batting practice he should be required to hit every pitch to right field and to golf pitches low and away for a week. These are just two of many drills that can help correct his erroneous hands.

Since Martin is admittedly not even thinking about hitting, an cognitive observive coach would bat him 8th.

Also he is still young enough to be told that Women Weaken Legs!

Kuo – Another Sad Story. Bring up Uncle Milte, keep Mac in the bullpen and let Weaver Start 2 games then reconsider.

Rest 1-2 starters a game until this 20 game streak is over. The Dodgers are far enough ahead of the pack to start coaching in a way that is best in the long run and do not have to try and win every game as if they were 5 games behind in September.

Agree about what to do with Martin. Try to hit everything back through the middle. It has been the “cure all” for slumps since Babe Ruth was a minnow.

This is good news, not surprising to me but still good news:

“Attendance at Major League Baseball games through the first three weeks of the 2009 season reportedly declined about 4.4 percent compared to the same stage a year ago — impressive given the stormy economic climate.”

Dodgers lead MLB at 45K per game at home. If that keeps up, Mover will owe me a 100. Interesting to see the Yankees behind us in their new stadium. Those $2,000 seats are empty. Mayhaps they should revisit that idea.

We win on three hits and the snakes win on a foul ball. Strange day in the West.

Kershaw looked absolutely amazing last night. He gave us just what we needed. What is funny is , yet again the kid deserved a win and didn’t get one. But I love that he looked confident and batttled Dodger killer Peavy inning for inning. Great pitchers duel and I am glad the good guys won.

Isn’t it sad about Kuo. That guy should have been a stud in this league. I just don’t know if his body will ever cooperate. Like Vinny says “The saddest words of tongue and pen, ‘what might been’”. I wish the best for him.

Here is an interesting article I saw about the best rivalry in baseball from Forbes magazine. Show this to your son in law Mark :)

Peace fellas

I don’t know about you guys but After D. Sanchez walked the bases loaded and Martin chased the first pitch that was a ball, I about fall out of my chair. Both guys were struggling but the good thing about Russell is that he kept battling and fouling off pitches until he got the walk.

Like everyone is saying in here, he needs a few days off in a row to clear his head.

Kershaw impressed me again last night, hopefully he continues to improve. When Kuroda returns, we will have four good pitchers. Someone from the scrap heap should breakout and hold down the fifth spot sometime soon. Maybe it’s Weaver’s year or Milton finds his groove. But we will win the division while Kershaw/Stulz and McDonald all improve.
    We will need to gauge the scrap heap’s progress by the allstar break and decide if a trade is needed by then.

In the meantime, lets all enjoy the 2009 season. It should be a good one…….

Love the Blake peace :mrgreen:

6. lawdog says:

My cable coverage went out last night just as the pitch to Martin was made and before the ump called it. I assumed it was a swinging strike because closer calls had been going against us all night by the first base umpire. I still haven’t seen a slow mo of Martin’s “swing” but I saw real time tape on ESPN and will say it was closer than it seemed. I still think we caught an undeserved break but would change my opinion in a NY minute if slow motion replay showed he did manage the “pretzel hold up”.

I agree we want to keep the regulars fresh, but would submit resting two payers everyday would give us a team which would win about a third less games than we are winning now. It would take care of available pinch hitters, but if you have a murderer’s row, why turn it into a bitch slap strip mall? Certain players like Furcal (injured back and dying bat) and Martin (Campanella turning into Mendoza) need a day off per week. The rest of the team can use a day off once every 3 weeks or so if they have to face a pitcher who gives them trouble or they are developing a slow bat and you’re playing a day game after a night game. The nature of the game requires you keep yur edge by developing skills and repetition. Resting two players per game means you rest 25% of your stars to give two scrubs the chance of playing at the same time. You’d need to develop the 1965 pitching staff to win with a daily lineup like that.

7. Vigilante says:

Martin has been looking so bad at the plate lately, I’ve suspected he needs glasses. I’ve also written that Torre should be batting him behind Blake. Last night he looked like he had shortened his swing: no K’s and he hit a couple of balls right on the screws. Bears watching, but I’m inclined to agree with Ken above.

You want to flip flop Blake and Martin (pitchers are hitting 8th!) go ahead, I don’t think it will make a bit of difference in our run production but it could further depress Russell. I leave him right where he is and figure he will come out of it shortly. It’s clear to me he has been pressing, all he needs is one good night to come out of it.

I ask again, who will end the year with better numbers – Martin or Blake? No takers?

9. Chucky says:

Just read that BRENT LEACH was called up from AA.

Here is the link to the post:

Here is his stats:

Wow, that was off the wall.

10. Harold says:

Thanks Mark. I never feel a need to criticize either posters and rarely rag on players. I truly believe most do their best and the game is designed for failure. The best fail 70% of the time.For instance, I have never criticized JP. He came as advertised and has performed as advertised. Somehow many think because he put on a Dodger uniform he will become Superman or Spiderman or something. He gives what he can everytime.

I thought you might have concluded I was being critical because of my spirited defense of James Loney. You last post as to why James perhaps is the most likely core player to be traded was quite convincing. My reasons for not trading him are more subjective. I think it would be a mistake to break up the line up now, or even this year, if it continues to produce. I think he has good skills and feel his lack of power comes as a result of him becoming the opposite field hitter Don Mattingly has encouraged him to become. He will have to be able to use all fields which means his power will come by pulling to right field. My predictioin is, once he gets that first HR, then some more will follow.

Very surprised to see Brent Leach called up from AA. There is no point to run Elbert back and forth. He needs to pitch regularly.

A question comes to mind. We are really bringing young pitchers up from AA and not AAA. My thinking is AAA has better hitters, at least more experienced, than AA and should be a natural progression. Why is it the Dodgers always have their AAA team at an elevation where they are afraid to pitch their youngsters and give misleading power numbers to our young hitters? Proximity to LA is my only conclusion.

GO DODGERS!!

Leach ERA 0.69 WHIP 1.54

Trouble in the Brewing. His WHIP will skyrocket in the MLB and therefore his ERA.

Garate ERA 1.74 WHIP .87

I think that for short relievers WHIP is a much better judge of talent than ERA.

Appearantly the choice must have been made because they want a Loggy who was already on the 40 man roster because they have still have not dealt with the 40-man roster correctly.

Why is Schimdt not on the 60-Day? Why is Schitling not on the 60-Day. Appearantly they both have been at Camelback Ranch for a month and are still not ready for minor league pitching assignemnts. If they pitch well enough against the Rookies in extended Spring Training they will only need a week to get ready at IE.

Does any other team really want Repko or May? DFA’d one of them.

12. Mark Timmons says:

Yeah, I was surprised it was Leach too. I would have called up Garate, but at this juncture I will have to defer to the Dodger Brass!

13. mark says:

It was clearly a cheched swing. Clearly!

I am at an Indianapolis Indians game.

Should I blog it pitch-by-pitch?

From my I-phone

14. Roger says:

We have had a lot of comments on Dodger pitching for the past several months.

Looking back, prior to the season starting, on paper, we looked good in starting pitching:

1. Kuroda, 2. Billingsley, 3. Wolf, 4. Kershaw, and someone else for the 5th spot.

Then, Kuroda went down.
    Then Wolf started to give up runs in the first inning of some games.
    Then Kershaw had two bad outings in a row.
    The 5th spot was tried by several including McDonald and Stults who had been called up.

Several days last week, Dodger starters look dim. Heck, if C-Bills had an off night, it might be 5 more games before we would win again.

Still, we are in first place with this starting pitching.

Last night showed us that when facing one of the best pitchers in baseball today, our guy came up strong as did the pen.

As Mark said, when Kuroda comes back, and if Wolf can hold his own, and somehow the 5th arm comes from somewhere — the Dodgers will be okay.

15. Roger says:

Looked up some on Brent Leach.

He is 26. Since 2002, records show, 2002 and 2003 with NCAA in 20 games. Including those games and from 2005 through right now:

14-13 won lost. ERA 2.79. 126 games

Started 23 games. 1 complet game. 21 saves.

274 inbnings. 223 hits. 107 runs. 85 earned.

11 HRs. 149 walks. 303 Ks. 35 wild pitches.

Combined WHIP – 1.36.

Key – left hander. 6 foot 5 inches.

Selected in the 6th round (196th overall) of 2005 amateur entry draft.

This year in Chat: 9 games. 0-1. ERA 0.69. 13 innnings, 12 hits, 8 walks, 17 ks, 1 save, WHIP 1.54.

Mark

Just when the Pirates AAA 3B is up!

The Pirates AAA third baseman is so bad (.190)they replaced him with the second string SS.

I just saw Justin Upton hit a HR in Milwaukee measured at 480′. Yoiks.

Anybody know what might be up with Mark Mulder?

Yahoo Rotowire.com April 22

Update: According to agent Gregg Clifton, Mulder (shoulder) could sign with a team in one week and start in a major league game in another two, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Recommendation: There are several teams interesting in picking up Mulder including the Nationals, A’s and Dodgers. His quick availability would be a bonus for many teams looking for a starter, however, it’s hard to overlook his rough history with injuries over the past few seasons.

Yeah, I read that too. It’s ten days old. If he is healthy, why isn’t somebody scooping him up. You know, somebody that may need starting help. Know any teams like that?

Maybe there is more to the story.

Besides, we got the 3 Pedro’s armed and ready.

I just looked at some splits – Wolf’s first 15 pitches in a game opponents are hitting .333 with a 1.042 OPS. I think that just went up. The next 15 pitches it is .200 and .663.

Methinks he should warm up longer.

21. Roger says:

I think that Loney has changed or altered his swing lately. I do not have an older tape to compare to a recent one — but I think he is starting his swing differently, on a different plain, and part of the swing is upwards.

I am so tired of Loney swinging full, and then hearing Vinny say, “And Loney hits a little ground ball to the first baseman.”

Methinks that he is just a fraction of an inch from a double down the line. Or, a ball in the seats.

Will someone tell him . . .

22. Roger says:

See, I have been saying all along — that Russell Martin is the man. Tonight has thrown out a runner, two base hits. Last night won the game with driving in the only run of the game.

Martin is the man. His average will go up about 500 point tonight, you wait and see.

You folks that did not believe in him.

Heck, as bad as he has been, Martin is only .014 behind Casey “The Foundation”. No wonder there were no takers. Martin could catch him tonight.

Looks like Wolf settled down. It is the Pads though, who are currently 22nd in MLB in hitting. Two teams that are worse…. S.F. and Arizona. Seems like we have sure played them a lot. Are they that bad because of our superior pitching? Or……

Look at Gameday. Those hits by Martin were LUCKY. The pitches were on the outside black and on his last out the pitch was outside and he tried to pull that one too. Kemp’s line drive double play was a ball outside too.

Who is the batting coach?

One Day the Devil challenged the Lord to a baseball game.

Smiling the Lord proclaimed, “You don’t have a chance, I have Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and all the greatest players up here”.

“Yes”, snickered the devil, “but I have all the umpires.”

26. Roger says:

Both managers will place some stuff in the players breakfast cereal tomorrow morning.

Both teams are hitting like . . . like they cannot hit.

I love great pitching, but these guys (Pads) are not the Cardinals, or Mets, or Cubs, or . . .

Blake .225 – Martin .224.

Blake must be really unlucky.

And the pen comes through again.

Leach has a lot of walks and wild pitches, resulting in a high WHIP. Why him? He must have good stuff, low hits/IP high strike outs but he looks like another Dodger pitcher who has difficulty throwing strikes.