May 30, 2009 – Stults vs. Dempster

May 30, 2009 – Stults vs. Dempster

Strength or Weakness (or both) – Joe Torre’s willingness to stick with a guy past the point of where it looks like he should (i.e., Furcal).  They say that waht makes you laugh, makes you cry, but is it a strength or weakness that Joe sticks with a guy who has done it in the past?  It could be both!

king-torre

Larry King & Joe Torre - www.LAdodgerTalk.com

I spoke with Cory Wade today and asked him if he arm was OK and he said “yes.”  Then I said “would you tell me if it wasn’t?” and he replied “NO!”  But in a hurry, he said “No really, it’s fine.  I have just had some bad luck – it’s not like they are getting a bunch big hits off of me, some are just dink singles (like Sheffields). ”  He has a point and I hope he’s right.

Todays’ Lineup:

1. Pierre  LF
  2. Furcal  SS
  3. Hudson  2B
  4. Loney  1B
  5. Ethier  RF
  6. Martin  C
  7. Loretta  3B
  8. Kemp  CF
  9. Stults  P

Finally, Clayton Kershaw signed a ball and posed for a picture with Stephen, my 10 year-old son.  Stephen thought that was way cool!

stephen-clayton

I went in through the Dodger’s entrance today, into the clubhouse and through the runway to the dugout.  I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow.

16 Responses to “May 30, 2009 – Stults vs. Dempster”

OH,

The wind is blowing out!

I do not have all of the game sheets out —

A lot of talk has been that when the Dodgers score early, they have a great record. Not sure about the other way, but it looks to me, for the Cubies leading 2 to 0 in the 4the, the Dodgers did not score early.
    Maybe not a win today.

Biggest, I don't think any of the Dodgers are really hot right now. Pierre seems to have cooled off. Hundson the same. Furcal is not even hitting at all. The rest of the guys, a hit here and there.

MARK — if you see Josh, you can tell him that I go in for an MRI on my shoulder / arm tomorrow moring at 8 am (yes, Sunday; they work around the clock).

Stults is now in Torre's Dumpster

Blacked out in NY due to FOX (no MLB Extra Innings or MLB.tv). I hate it when the Dodgers play in the afternoon on Saturday. Sufice to say, I can't comment on anything I'm seeing. Even prior to this game I was wondering if it might be a better idea to disable Stults until his thumb is fully healed. He relies heavily on his change, curve and cutter, all pitches that require the sort of touch that can be hindered by a sprained thumb. Even his fastball command has to be affected. As much as it pains me to say this, even a healthy Shawn Estes would probably be a better option. Or maybe one of the younger starters like James McDonald or Scott Elbert, or anyone else who is performing well down on the farm. Of course, the most obvious move at this time would be to disable Stults and replace him with the returning Kuroda. Doing so would leave Milton in the rotation, and only one lefthander (Leach) in the pen.

I'm sure there are an infinite number of other options, but the bottom line is that it looks to me that it might be best for Stults and the team if he were disabled.

I had and have a very uneasy feeling about this Cubs series. Thursday night, with one single the Cubs could have won that game.

Yesterday, Lilly was a master. The old Dodger farm hand, was at his best.

Today, Dempter was a master. Or, the Dodger are a dud. Most of the Dodger hitters are in a slump. With a single or double here and there.

Tomorrow, well the Dodger throw a guy that has been out of baseball awhile.

Arizona is tied in the 9th. Even if the Giants lost tonight — what bothers me is, right now I believe that the Dodgers glass is half empty. These things happen.

Furcal is lost at the plate. He is not effective as much for the Dodger. And a lot of his throws to first are in the dirt. What is up with that. And Pierre is also lost hitting wise here in Chicago.

Bottom line in Chicago, Cubs are out pitching the Dodgers. They are hungry.

Oh, Furcal is now down to .2

6. lawdog says:

Hey Mark! Let me know if you didn't get my email which I sent on when the game was just starting. Yahoo has gone bonkers on me the last two days and I know I''m not receiving anything–not even spam. Makes me wonder if what I' sending gets out of virtual space into it's designated email box.

7. lawdog says:

Torre is nutso if he wants to bring Kuroda up and start him next week. He just got his ass handed to him in his last outing the other day at class A–wilder than a march hare and giving up hits all over the park when he wasn't walking them. If he's ready to pitch, then so is D. Dreifort.

A guy they should bring up from AA is Scott Elbert who pitched a dandy yesterday going 6.1 without giving up a run. They've got to short relievers who also have microscopic era named Durban and Schlecting who could pitch better than Mota or Weaver right now.

I also like a kid named Bastardo who's a native Venezuelan, but his only in class A and would have to lose that last name if they brought him up. ;)

Dream Weaver woke up and is back to reality. He actually has done much better as a starter than a reliever.

Stults should try the DL on Monday retro to today. Mark what is the real status on his options??

Mark – What is the real status of Vargas?

Kuroda is being activated too early. He will go 3-4 innings and then Weaver.

Put Schimdt on the 60 Day DL
    DL Stults and Bring up Estes

Bring up Kuroda and Send down Ellis

10. lawdog says:

IN H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Kuroda5.09750205.19

Kuroda's line for his game at A level May 27th.

Bring him up coach! He look's ready to play!

NOT!!!

11. lawdog says:

5 innings, 9 hits, 7 runs, 5 earned runs, 0 walks, 2 strike outs, 0 home runs.

Dog read all of the posts to see the context

Actually, the encouraging thing about Kuroda's line as posted above is the zero BBs. I also read somewhere that the defense behind him was shoddy. There are times when we have to trust the judgment of management. Besides, I would raher have a questionable Kuroda on the mound than an injured Stults or a healthy Shawn Estes. And while I wouldn't have a problem with Elbert or McDonald, it may be the judgment of Dodger management that it's best to keep them pitching and learning in the minors in hopes that one or both will be ready for prime time down the road with the additional seasoning.

Continuing…

It's a long season, so I won't criticize the team for what transpired in the last couple of days. It will be nice to have them returning home on Monday, with at worst a 4-3 road trip (maybe 5-2). It will even be nicer when the Dodgers begin to start getting some days off starting on June 8. They've played more games than any team in the National League, and are currently in the midst of playing 17 games in 17 days (9 down and 8 to go). Getting days off going forward should help to bring some order to the pitching staff. I also wonder (maybe someone has some stats) if the recent series in Coors Field hasn't affected their hitting. Maybe going from mile high Coors back down to sea level takes a toll.

Kuroda pitched badly in his last start before opening day. Joe Torre says that with a guy like Kuroda you don't look at anything except whether he is ready, sound and throws strikes. He says that Kuroda is all of that.