May 29, 2009 – Troncoso Fans a Fox to Save a Wolf

May 29, 2009 – Troncoso Fans a Fox to Save a Wolf

It was a classic battle in the end.  Randy Wolf had pitched an excellent game, and was in position for a win when Ramon Troncoso  loaded the bases in the 9th with one out, only to fan Bobby Scales (who plated the Cubs only run with an earlier HR), nd then strike out powerful Jake Fox with a filthy curve to save the win for Randy Wolf.  Ramon didn’t make it easy, but he managed to get his 3rd save.   Juan Pierre and James Loney both had 2 hits, Rafael Furcal had a nice swinging bunt that scored Juan Pierre all the way from 2B and Andre Ethier had his first extra-base hit in a long time.  13-7 we are without THAT GUY.  We have a higher team batting average and are averaging more runs a game without him.  Say what you will about that – it is what it is!

I  was in the second row of the pressbox.  Ken Rosenthal and Josh Suchon were to my left and Dylan Hernandez and Paul Morosi sat to my right.  Paul worte an interesting article saying that  McCourt may not insist that Manny spill his guts.

RANTS & RAVES

• The Cubs do run a first class operation, but one word of advise give me by Tony Jackson which I learned the hard way – Don’t eat the food in the pressbox.
Jamie Hoffman & Larry King

Jamie Hoffman & Larry King

• It has been reported that Josh Lindblom is pitching out of the pen in AA – True and Not-True, According to Josh Suchon of KABC, Logan White told him that young guys like Lindbloom are just going to be coming into the game in the 3rd or 4th inning so that they can experience what it feels like to pitch in the 8th and 9th inning.  Interesting, to say the least.
  • Russ Martin may not be hitting the way he is capable, but he is playing excellent defensively and made va great hard takeout at 2B to breakup a double play.  The Cubs Soto who was the All-Star C last yeear in at just .218.
  • Carl Kemp and I were talking about Juan Pierre and Carl said something to the effect of “just think, they got Jones and moved him to LF and then the bench and then they got Manny and kept him there.  He’s the hardest worker, the first one there and he just come out an hits and who says he can’t keep this up?”
  • Manny will be going to the minors in a few days to start a rehab assignment before his reinstatement.
Mr & Mrs. Larry King

Mr & Mrs. Larry King

14 Responses to “May 29, 2009 – Troncoso Fans a Fox to Save a Wolf”

1. Voldomer says:

Great game tonight. Is that a new press box at Wrigley? I don't remember it looking so modern.

Torre rolled the dice by letting Troncoso hit in the 9th. Cubs fans in my section were dumbfounded, but given the depletion of the pen in Denver (and against the Angels), it was the right call.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Mota was warming up…

Mark, If Manny makes a "re hab" start with the Inland Empire 66ers. I will be there. I will do my best to provide you with some pictures. Oh by the way the 66ers are planning a Manny Ramirez bobblehead night the date is TBA….interesting?

Great post Mark. You have great pictures and I see you are getting big time access to the team now. That is great! Great for us loyal readers at this site. Keep up the good work.

Does Larry King really look that old and creepy up close?

5. lawdog says:

AAAGH! That mug would curdle new sweet milk. Larry King is uglier than sin! You should post a warning so that the feint of heart and young children don't happen to see that by accident.

Mark

With the Dodgers now carrying 3 catchers does that mean that Martin will play some 3rd base and Blake 1st base as part of the scheme to rest the infileders?

7. lawdog says:

Just to let you guys know, for reasons that should become evident in the near future, I've been watching our minor league teams much more closely of late than I have in the past. We have some prospects that are turning to studs before our eyes.

Starting in AAA , a youngster named Hector Luna who plays 3rd base is now hitting .366 with 9 hrs, 36 rbis in 41 games. His OPB is a stunning .424. When Blake is ready to become a mentor to a new star, he's waiting in Albuquerque right now. His only deficiency is his defense. He's made 6 errors (just like Blake DeWitt who's been playing shortstop down at the farm. DeWitt is only hitting .283 but has an OPB of .391, and 2 hrs..)

Luna will be up and whacking the ball over all over the park before DeWitt will smell any playing time at the major league level. Then there A.J. Ellis, a catcher who has no power but is hitting .340 with an OPB of .451 (!!!).

Dee Brown, the left fielder is also breaking out and is now hitting .315, OBP of .396, 11 home runs, 36 rbis in 38 games.

Jamie Hoffman was only hitting .257 when he got called up ahead of these other guys.

Hu is turning out to be a utility player, though with the lovable eye and unpredictable bat. He's hitting .224 with OPB of .283–but he did whack a grand salami yesterday, so, who knows?

If we really want to go after somebody's ace pitcher, we've got the material just at AAA to probably pull it off. I wouldn't want to trade Luna or Brown though. Way too much upside just like Paul and Hoffman.

Mitch Jones leads the team in home runs with 15, but is only hitting .260. Like wise, Repko's star is fading. He's hitting .305, OBP .365, with 8 hrs and 22 rbis in just 33 games and I say he's fading? Only in relation to these other studs who are already breaking out right now.

I think Torre must of considered moving Blake to left field the other night to make room for Hector Luna. But Pierre's .400 average won't let him do it. Wait until Manny comes back! We're going to have to trade some of these guys for pitching or become the most unbalanced team in baseball. With Manny, Kemp, Ethier, Paul, Brown Hoffman, Repko, Jones all worthy to play now, what's ya gonna do? Who ya gonna call?

I'll give you a run down of AAA pitching that's reading to come forward later, as well as notables playing for the AA team.

Larry King is in his mid 70's. Give him a break. With good luck, some of us will live that long. None of us will have a babe like that on our arms at that age though.

Carl, Juan is hitting .400. Nobody can keep that up. But, you all know I am a fan of Pierre's. We are lucky he is still here. I wonder what we might could get in trade for him now?

Nice work Mark. You are getting better at this. Must be cuz you are rollin' with real writers.

You never see Larry King and the Crypt Keeper in the same room. Hmmmmm?

Ken,
    With AJ Ellis up I have to believe they are showcasing him or resting Martin more this weekend. You have to think if we weren't playing the Cubs we would HAVE to have a LHP in the pen. The Cubbies are right hand dominate so it won't kill us with only Leach in the pen. If I had my way I would say bring up more arms though. Last night was brutal knowing we were that close to handing the ball to Mota!

• Ken says:

Good point re Cub batters!

Where are the arms? Leach is getting better. I still say keep a bunch of long relievers (Broken Record)

Lawdog, on: "a youngster named Hector Luna who plays 3rd base ."

Mark, Badger, and I saw him in Spring Training. In fact the Dodgers played him a lot there, especially in the late innings of a game.

He is no youngster, born in 1980, that makes him like 29 years old.

He was signed by Cleveland in 1999. Has been with: Cardinals, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Tronoto, and now the Dodgers. And some of those teams several times.

In Spring Training, my memory is, he was shaky out there. In fact, we talked about him and concluded Luna would be the first guy to drop and give the others a chance. I even wondered why the Dodgers even signed him. Looking at his stats, he was made over 1 million dollars playing baseball. Not bad.

Maybe he has learned to hit better, and is coming around. I did notice a week or so ago that his bat was hot in AAA, with homers and average. So we will see.

12. lawdog says:

I guess all those guys I suggested were un fuego at AAA are either approaching 30 or already beyond that age. Oh well. I should have known .366 was too high for a young prospect on our minor league roster.