It was a classic battle in the end. Randy Wolf had pitched an excellent game, and was in position for a win when Ramon Troncoso loaded the bases in the 9th with one out, only to fan Bobby Scales (who plated the Cubs only run with an earlier HR), nd then strike out powerful Jake Fox with a filthy curve to save the win for Randy Wolf. Ramon didn’t make it easy, but he managed to get his 3rd save. Juan Pierre and James Loney both had 2 hits, Rafael Furcal had a nice swinging bunt that scored Juan Pierre all the way from 2B and Andre Ethier had his first extra-base hit in a long time. 13-7 we are without THAT GUY. We have a higher team batting average and are averaging more runs a game without him. Say what you will about that – it is what it is!
I was in the second row of the pressbox. Ken Rosenthal and Josh Suchon were to my left and Dylan Hernandez and Paul Morosi sat to my right. Paul worte an interesting article saying that McCourt may not insist that Manny spill his guts.
RANTS & RAVES
- The Cubs do run a first class operation, but one word of advise give me by Tony Jackson which I learned the hard way – Don’t eat the food in the pressbox.
- It has been reported that Josh Lindblom is pitching out of the pen in AA – True and Not-True, According to Josh Suchon of KABC, Logan White told him that young guys like Lindbloom are just going to be coming into the game in the 3rd or 4th inning so that they can experience what it feels like to pitch in the 8th and 9th inning. Interesting, to say the least.
- Russ Martin may not be hitting the way he is capable, but he is playing excellent defensively and made va great hard takeout at 2B to breakup a double play. The Cubs Soto who was the All-Star C last yeear in at just .218.
- Carl Kemp and I were talking about Juan Pierre and Carl said something to the effect of “just think, they got Jones and moved him to LF and then the bench and then they got Manny and kept him there. He’s the hardest worker, the first one there and he just come out an hits and who says he can’t keep this up?”
- Manny will be going to the minors in a few days to start a rehab assignment before his reinstatement.