Posted on 25 May 2009.
Maybe I should say “choice” instead of “fault.” The Dodgers obviously have an excellent offense, and are leading the league in “seeing” pitches. The Dodgers get almost 160 pitches a game – more than any other team. This wears down opposing pitching staffs, and of course results in more hittable pitches, but maybe this “discipline” also reduces the number of HR’s. Maybe the taking of pitches is something that reduces the “aggression” of the hitter and results in fewer “bombs.” Now, if we can keep up our scoring pace, what difference is it? However, something tells me we won’t, unless we do hit more HR – that’s the “conventional wisdom.” James Loney has 2 HR, Russ Martin has ZERO, Matt Kemp has 4 and Andre Ethier has 6. I am focusing on the young players because they are the ones who are “buying in” to this way of hitting. Maybe Tony Jackson will have a different idea about this, but I think the approach that Pentland and Mattingly (our co-hitting coaches, although it has never been “announced” that they are co-instructors) are using may be causing our power outage… and should that concern us? Maybe not! Maybe that’s OK….
I mean, James Loney is hitting .291 with 2 HR and 32 RBI and Ryan Howard is hitting .256 with 10 HR and 30 RBI (and he hits in a park where somebodys’ grandmother can hit
one out). Who is the better player? Well, everyone is going to say Howard, but right now, Loney has more RBI’s. The Dodgers scored 16 runs and did not hit a HR on Monday. I don’t
James Loney - LaDodgerTalk.com
think that has been done in my lifetime! Chicks may dig the long-ball, but wins are more important. After all, I’m so old that I remember that I like chicks, but I can’t remember why. The Dodgers did walk 11 Rockies (which is troubling), but that’s a discussion for another day.
RANTS & RAVES
- Boy, I was castigated over the winter for suggesting we sign Raul Ibanez instead of Manny. How do you like me now? Ibanez is OPSing 1.151! Now, he does play in that bandbox, but WOW! We could have signed Ibanez and 4 middle relievers for less than Manny…
- Am I the only one who is fearful that Manny may come back as a ”good” but not “great” player?
- Russ Martin is going to make you all believers! He’s now at .270… and climbing!
- Should Torre platoon Ethier and Hoffman? Can you give me a cogent argument why Joe shouldn’t at least see what happens?
- Can you give me a good reason why Juan Castro shouldn’t start 2 or 3 more games at SS?
- 6 Dodgers had 2 or more RBI’s – does that constitute a “team win?”
- Speaking of wins, Weaver should have to give todays’ win back.
- I (me) am not ready to say that Mota is ready for prime time.
- Eduardo Perez was promoted to AA. He was tearing it up at High-A and he could be breaking out. He’s 25 years-old and is a switch-hitter, but he appears to really be “getting it.”
- Javy Guerra got his 11th saves for Great Lakes on Sunday and now has a 1.13 ERA. He’ll be moving up.
- Jason Repko is back off the DL – AJ Ellis is at .337.
- Steve Johnson got bombed at Inland Empire today.