May 21, 2009 – This Team Just Has That Feel

May 21, 2009 – This Team Just Has That Feel

They seem to have a “get ‘er done” attitude – Two runs was all it took to sweep the Mets in the final game.

Andre Ethier, who is hitting HALF HIS WEIGHT the past 13 games, hit a sac fly in the first and Russ Martin drove in the winning run in the 8th.  Jeff Weaver, who was pulled after 69 pitches in 5 innings was solid, and the pen pitched well, including Ramon Troncoso’s 2 shutout innings.  He now has a 1.69 ERA.  Leach got his first MLB win by being in the right spot at the right time, and Big Bad Jon came in and slammed the door for his 11th save.  These guys seldom beat themselves.  Defensively they are stellar, even Juan Pierre in LF.   Here’s some stats that shed light on how solid this team has been:

• Best Record in Baseball – 29-13
  • 2nd in the NL in Fielding and 2nd fewest errorsdodgers
  • We have caught 12 runners stealing (27 were successful)
  • 2nd in batting average
  • 1st in runs scored
  • 1st in hits
  • 2nd in doubles
  • 1st in walks taken
  • 3rd in stolen bases
  • In the bottom half in strikouts (offensive)
  • 1st in OB%
  • 1st in pitching ERA
  • 2nd in strikeouts (pitching)
  • 2nd fewest HR allowed

Our biggest weakness is that we have walked more batters than any team in the NL except the Nationals!

RANTS & RAVES

• There’s a good article in Dodgers.com on Steve Johnson who pitches at Inland Empire.  I see him as a #4-type pitcher, but he could possibly become a #3.
  • Kuroda and Schmidt will both pitch rehab starts this weekend at Inland Empire.
  • The Dodgers have a day off today before a 3-game series with the Anahiem Angels of Orange County of Los Angeles of California of the USA of North America of the Earth of the Milky Way, or whatever Arte calls them.

35 Responses to “May 21, 2009 – This Team Just Has That Feel”

1. Blue Haze says:

If this team is just fine, how come you have a picture posted with this blog, showing Manny in the on-deck circle?

Good catch Haze. This is a shot of Ethier when he could hit.

And, when was it Ethier hit in front of Manny? Is that a picture from last year?

I see two m reasons that the Dodgers are winning – maturity and Mattingly. I think we all knew these guys would grow into their talent, and they have, and I believe Mattingly is teaching them how to have an idea at the plate. Defensively we are strong up the middle and our pitching has stepped up.

But here's a scoop – we will not win 112 games this year. Our true character will come out when we hit a funk.

In the mean time – this is fun.

Hey Bill, I would like to add a couple of categories to our LaBlake contest:

Assists

Stolen Bases (LaRoche has one, that should be enough to beat Blake)

Range Factor

UZR/150

Contact %

and finally……

$/hit …… (that's not what it looks like – dollars per hit)

That ought to even up the contest a bit don't you think?

Badger

Per THT

LD% Casey 18.2 % Andy 28.6%

BA/BIP Casey .308 Andy .320

BA/RISP Casey .265 Andy .290

Clutch Casey -0.2 Andy 0.4

5. Blue Haze says:

Wow, you are right Badger, Ethier hasn't been hitting in front of ManRam this season. I think MM is trying to slip things by us, we will have to look very critically at everything he posts (opps, that got Mario beheaded).

This team can survive without Manny, it can't survive if Hudson goes down for any length of time. Time for the McCOurt's to take that $8 mill that Manny gave back to the club and invest it in a long range deal for Hudson, and pretty damn quickly at that.

We all bantered back and forth on signing Manny, some implied that the end of the world was imminent if Manny did not sign. Now that we know what we know, I think some posters may have a different opinion. Manny isn't the key to the team, everyone else is actually the keys to the team, I guess that is why winning baseball requires a whole roster of team players.

Just the same, I like our lineup with Manny in it. We won't play at a .690 winning % for the entire year, and when this team gets tired, and I believe it will, I would like to see a guy like Manny carrying the water.

Thanks Ken. Those are good additions as well. I especially like BA/BIP, which is the sound Mark's keister makes when he goes over a speed bump.

7. mark says:

That photo was the only one I could find of Andre when he wasn't swinging a toothpick.

8. Bill_Russell says:

It was Casey Blake bobblehead night at the Ravine last night. I was hoping for a round tripper from the power corner/Foundation but hitting in the 8 hole you must take what you get. I wonder if Pittsburgh is scheduling Andy the roach night this year. His bobblehead will be worth millions.

It looked like the offense was struggling against Livan Hernandez? Isn't he sixty or close to it? We are winning on pure will and not explosive offense right now but a win is a win.

9. Bill_Russell says:

We got 5 innings out of DREAM Weaver as most of his outs were very hard hit liners right at someone. It never hurts when you have Furcal and Hudson up the middle bailing Dreamy out of jams all night. Why was Weaver taken out in the 5th? Because he was very lucky to make it that far………. We need to all say a little prayer that Stults is healthy for the next round.

10. Bill_Russell says:

I think Furcal and Hudson are more important to this team then most people believe. I saw them making plays that look some what routine last night but most others could not make them. I agree that Ned and Frank need to keep Hudson wearing Blue for years to come and should start the negotiations asap. Hudson is having the Manny effect from last year on the players by keeping them calm and showing them how to have fun.

11. Bill_Russell says:

Did anyone else wonder why Randy Wolf hit for Weaver in the 5th last night? I thought we were in the 16th inning and out of bench players. The one beer I drank must of really had a powerfull effect or Torre is losing his mind. I think the score board read Wolf is hitting around .105. Well I guess it could of been Sweeney from the last two seasons.

Yes Badger, I'm willing to change the bet and allow you to win the Andy the Roach bet. Anything you can think of like most bases loaded bunts or most back injuries, most thumb sortness, just add them on. Why not , I need some exercise. I'm not like Las Vegas where I need to take every penny you got.

12. Buddy says:

Well, Wolf has shown the ability to drive the ball in the past, not a bad move considering it was going to be a low scoring game. Torre probably realized he was going to use a lot of his bench during the game anyway. Hence, why not use Wolf or any other pitcher capable of driving the ball past the infield?

I wish Torre rested Martin last night for Ausmus last night. Would have been great for Martin to get a couple of days of rest before this major 17 game streak.

13. SpokaneBob says:

I would also like to see us extend Odog, But I believe that they are waiting to see if he can stay healthy more than 2 months. He is a great addition, on and off the field. In fact I think he has become my favorite player on the team.

Badger, I get that slupms happen to all players and all teams. But I think with the return of Manny, Kuroda and Schmidt plus the continued development of Kershaw and Leach, we could be a stronger team in the second half.

we have done better than anyone could have expected, but Manny's presence in the line up has a real effect on both teams.

14. Voldomer says:

Can anyone remember a second baseman who goes to his left better than Hudson?

15. Jaydizzel says:

2nd baseman going to his left: alex Cora
    Weaver, is a much better hitter then wolf. I thought it was the beer I was drinking too.

Hudson has a couple of Gold Gloves to prove he can go both directions.

Hey, Bill, you can't blame a guy for trying. I did read that LaRoche is having back spasms again. I'll win that one. That guy just can't seem to get a break. He obviously has the talent, he just doesn't seem to have the body.

I agree Bob, we very well could be a stronger team – if everybody is there. I think if you look at the numbers, it just isn't likely we will keep up this pace. We are going to hit some ba/bips along the way, and how we handle those will define this team.

Has Torre put Ohman in the doghouse and elevated Leach to Procter status?

I have seen the Andy The Roach bobblehead. He is squared around to bunt it looks JUST like him! Also it breaks easy (like the real thing) So handle with care.

Ethiers struggles continue and I have to wonder if Joe is going to let him rest or just hit his way out of it. I liked his approach last night when a sac-fly would get a run in he let it happen. Too often Andre rolls over in those situations for an automatic DP.

O-dog is outstanding and maybne the best 2B we've had in LA since Lopes. The guy is such a weapon and so fun to watch. But he scares me to death. I watch the way he uses that left wrist and the way he runs, I can't help but think he can break at any moment.

Andre Ethier leads the NL in hitting into double plays. He is hitting .188 in May. He did this same stuff in September 2006. In 2006 he was over .300 EVERY month and in the pressure of a pennant race, just wilted. He feels the pressure now and is wilting again. This is why I have called him soft, but I do feel sorry for him because he obviously puts too much pressure on himself. With his swing, ability and work ethic, his problems are 100% mental!

We have never had a 2B with O-Dog's range. Health is aways the issue with him. He rarely plays a full season…

20. Blue Haze says:

The funny thing about Manny returning July 3 is the added boost he will inject into the club, probably just about the time we need it. Manny can really can spark the team if he comes back fully loaded and ready to play. Right now, he can take advantage of the downtime and rehab his hammy properly. I'm betting Manny comes back with a vengence and something to prove. Torre could have a real tough decision to make once July rolls around.

The Andy LaRoche bobble-head comes with it's own repair kit and touch-up paint..

It can be argued that Juan Pierre has been MORE valuable so far than Manny. NO REALLY!

Peavy to the Chi-Sox pending his approval, but sources say he really wants to be a Dodger.

DeWitt, Abreu, Elbert, Garate and Lindblom for Peavy?

I still say there are 52 million reasons Peavy will not be a Dodger.

Funny stuff on the Andy bobblehead guys. I still would like to see him have a full year healthy, but, maybe it's just his destiny. His karma seems to break down easily.

Juan Pierre is a pro. We are lucky to have him. Anyone think he is overpaid now?

Ethier will come around. His swing is too good to stay at .188. I say he will end the year around .300 – again.

Most all good defensive teams are strong up the middle and that is us. Martin, Furcal, Hudson and Kemp. Very good.

23. Blue Haze says:

Ethier is SOFT (I couldn't resist).
    Toltally agree with ya, I think Juan has definitely been more valuable to the Dodgers thus far, but Manny does cast a huge shadow on any batting order, his presence is felt up and down the line-up (that sounds nasty!)

Damn I like seeing that Hudson guy in our uni, I know I know, we blew a 17th round pick on him, but I can't help it, I like the guy. MVP, MVP, MVP…

I think, and it has been widely reported that Ethier is a head case, headcases tend to be streaky, brilliant one month, god-awful the next. Give him a few days off, let him blow off osme steam with some of J. Russell's cast-offs, let him talk with Donnie Baseball, he will be good to go.

In the meantime, all praise to Juan, Martin, Hudson, Blake and the pitchers for stepping it up in the ManRam absence. This ManRam episode could be the best character and confidence builder this team could ever receive. And who said steroids are bad, so far they are working out for the Dodgers.

24. jerry says:

san diego what to trade peave to the white sox..but he can vito it…saw a message on it on goggle

He turned them down jerry.

I still think the Pads best chance to get what they want will be a deadline trade.

It's all good.That walk total really shocks me. I really hate off-days but I'm sure the players cherish them. I'm looking foward to giving some retribution to those never-never-landers who think they are in Los Angeles. Shine on. : ]

Mark, how about the Dodgers trading Ethier and Martin in a trade for some first round draft picks.

Both are . . . not cutting it now. Up and down. One day they win a game, the next they bound into double plays, or hit "a little ground ball . . . ," or fly out to the warning track.

Dump 'em both. Get some real players in here.

Martin and Ethier would probably do it. But, it won't happen. For 52,000,001 reasons. The 52 million we already know about, the one is – that is a really dumb idea. We are in first place, the Pads stink. We will probably still need another starter somewhere down the road and we will find one somewhere, but you don't trade your All Star Gold Glove catcher and a .300 hitting potential 100 rbi guy to your rival.

And, MLB doesn't trade for draft picks.

29. Blue Haze says:

Pierre is SOFT

Hey, I'm down with that if we can improve. Ellis and Ausmus would be OK at C and Paul wopuld be OK in RF. Maybe Martin and Ethier would get Peavy!

However, look at their splits. Martin hit .205 in April and is at .345 in May. Ethier did just the opposite. He hit .306 in April and is at .188 in May. The difference is that Russel was bad when Manny was playing and it wasn't as big a deal, but I would trade anyone if it would make us better.

Billy Beanes star is tarnished now. Maybe he'd take Ethier back for Holliday.

So, when will he exhibit this softness?

32. Blue Haze says:

I'm sure you will come up with something, MM. At least we didn't have to give up a 17th round pick to get Pierre, tee hee.

33. lawdog says:

Manny's suspension will cost him more than 7.5 million, but, do to some backloading BS, Fred only gets 2.2 million back.