May 19, 2009 – Bomb Squad or Stuntmen?

May 19, 2009 – Bomb Squad or Stuntmen?

A few days ago, Miguel Salcido wrote about the Dodgers’ bench and how productive it has been this year.  As I was re-reading it, suddenly the moniker that Mickey Hatcher hung on the 1988 Dodger reserves jumped into my mind – The Stuntmen!  In 1988 we had  Dave Anderson, Mike Davis, Pedero Guerrero, Rick Dempsey, Tracy Wooden, Danny Heap and the head stuntman, Mickey Hatcher.   This year it’s Juan Pierre, Juan Castro, Xavier Paul, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mark Loretta and Brad Ausmus.  They currently go by the name “Bomb Squad,” but I think that “The Stuntmen” are back.   Bomb Squad may be more 2009, but The Stuntmen are timeless.

mickeyhatcherMickey Hatcher is admired for his fun-loving approach to playing baseball, particularly on the World Champion 1988 Dodger team, and was featured in various presentations to the tune of the “Mickey Mouse Club” song. He would sprint to first base after drawing walks, like Pete Rose, and garnered a lot of media attention in the 1988 World Series by hitting a first-inning home run in Game 1 andsprinting full-speed around the bases instead of jogging. This prompted NBC broadcaster Joe Garagiola to say “He’s the cover of The Saturday Evening Post!” and “He’s running like he’s afraid they’re going to take it off the board!”Hatcher had only hit one home run in that 1988 season, but hit two in the World Series.  Mickey Hatcher is now a coach for the Angels andwe will see him this weekend.   I only wish you were a Dodger, Mickey!

It was fitting that a Stuntman (Loretta) scored the winning run last night.  Sunday, we had  five, count ‘em, five Stuntmen starting a game and we scored 12 runs.  The Mets threw last nights’ game away, and the game was not pretty – it was just a win and that’s all that counts.  Book it!  The stars were just aligned properly, I guess.  We now have a 6.5 game lead on the Giants.

RANTS & RAVES

• I think Raffy hast a step!  I really do.  Billy Russell pointed out that the SS market was thin last winter, and I agree, but we have an issue…  Ned couldn’t sign anyone better, but… well let it play out.
  • Juan Pierre has a .527 OB% since THAT GUY was suspended.
  • Randy Wolf and Orlando Hudson are easily the two biggest offseason signings in MLB.  Kudos to Ned!
  • Boy, that was a cheap hit off Wade that scored a run in the 8th.  Oh well…
  • Kyle Russell hit his 10th HR for Great Lakes, and Javy Guerra pitched 2 innings in recording his 9th save on Monday.
  • After being ill most of last year and putting up poor numbers, Lucas May is back on the  radar after going 2-2 last night and is hitting .289.
  • Scott Elbert was hit hard last night – 5 IP/10 hits/ 3ER.
  • Tony Abreu is hitting .310 at AA and has now played several games in a row.  Last night was at SS.
  • Victor Garate now has a 1.59 ERA as a reliever.  Remember, he’s LH.
  • In James McDonald’s 1st game at AAA, he pitched 2.2 innings, gave up 5 hits and 2 ER – I AM TELLING YOU – JAMES MCDONALD IS A GREAT RELIEVER AND A  BELOW AVERAGE STARTER, IN THE MAJORS.  Disagree all you want with me, but the stats bear me out!     SCOREBOARD!
  • Jamie Hoffman hit his 2nd HR at AAA and had 3 RBI last night.  He has improved SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  much!

10 Responses to “May 19, 2009 – Bomb Squad or Stuntmen?”

Our subs are all good ballplayers, but they aren’t this good. I think we all know they will come back to earth before long.

At least McDonald is where he is supposed to be – in the minors. Wherever he ends up, starting or relieving, let him get it worked out there.

I am getting used to this format, but I really liked having access to all the Dodger links in the right hand column that the old site provided. Also, after adding all this fancy schmancy we still don’t have rweview and editt capabilities.

2. Penos Cabell says:

It’s so important to have a good bench in sports. Look at the Lakers.

James McDonald should be up with the Dodgers. And he should be a reliever. If Joe Torre knew anything at all about using a bullpen, McDonald could be one of the best set-up men in the game. I hope James McDonald gets back on track, but if he doesn’t make it as a starter, then they need to give up on that idea, and use him where he’s had the most success.

I don’t know about that Penos. McDonald walked 16 batters in 18 innings and had a 6.75 ERA with the Dogs. His first outing with the Isotopes didn’t look any better. He has some work to do, let him get it done where he does the least damage.

I believe McD is staying down on the farm to preserve his trade value. Nothing has higher value on the trade market than young pitching. I agree with most of you that if he stays with us he will be a lights out set up guy.

The Bomb Squad has more talent than the Stunt Men. I think only time will tell if they have as much success. It sure is nice to know when we need to give ANYONE a day off we are covered.

As for last nights game…Tommy used to say “You will win 60 games and lose 60 games its what you do with the other 42 games..” Last night we stole one from that loss column. I’ll take it!

Our ace is on the hill tonight lets lock up another series.

5. lawdog says:

I, too was impressed with the similarity of our 2009 bench with Hatcher’s stunt men. In fact Loretta even looks a little like Mickey. I’d suggest a different name ofr the bench as the “bomb squad” would sem to suggest they’re the equivelant of the old Yankee’s “Murder’s Row.” How about “The Bombed Squad”, or, better yet, “The Killer Bees.” “The Galloping Geezers” would probably work as well.

Mark

Who is responsible for “Game Time”?

Regarding bench – what I said 2 weeks ago

7. mark says:

Ken

I am irresponsible for Gametime. I need a volunteer.

8. Stuntmen was only timeless because they actually won the World Series! :-)

Bomb Squad will end up just as timeless if this year’s team follows suit.

I guess the timeliness of my post about the bench was impeccable after their offensive display on Sunday. I put a good word in with the guys. ;-)

Apparantly SF pitcher Lowry can not find a wife so he is going to play God and have a rib removed so that he can make a wife for himself. That should keep him off the mound for the rest of the 2009 season.

The Bench Squad has looked impressive so far this year. Of course we’re not asking for much after the last few seasons of nothing or very very little at best. I’m agreeing with some in here that’s said it’s still early and the spark may fade soon but no matter what, we are still miles above the last few years bench production.

The real question is which free agent was the best signing of the off season? No not Manny or Casey Blake. I am referring to Randy or Orlando. They are both turning out to be steals. Ned should be sent to prison for these two signings. It’s funny how most of us was lobbying for Ned to be fired and now he appears to be doing a pretty good job. If it wasn’t for Andruw or Jason, we could rate Ned higher then pretty good.

I still must question Marks rant and many others about Raffy.
    There are only a hand full of SS’s in both leagues that I personally would switch with Raffy. H Rameriez, Jimmy Rollins and Reyes are the no brainers. JJ Hardy hit’s the homeruns but plays the field with hands of stone. Jeter is in the twilight of his career, Guzman hits for average but can’t play the field like Raffy, Tulowitzki has the tools but hasn’t become the carpenter yet. Escobar is green and still developing, Theriot gets the Chitown winds blowing some of his flyballs out. I just really like this guy and feel his a valuable part of the team.

Did anyone see Matt Kemp come over and put his arm around Raffy last night after he failed to advance the runner to end the game in the 11th inning? Raffy did get two hits yesterday however. That shows me that the players like each other and they actually like playing with each other. If they don’t all slump at one time, we may see a very magical season in 2009. 8)