Manny Suspended 50 Games For Testing Positive

Manny Suspended 50 Games For Testing Positive

Et Tu, Manny?

It is being reported by various sources including the LA Times that Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs and will be suspended for 50 games! No comments from the Dodgers, Boras, the player’s union, or Major League Baseball yet. It is believed, by an anonymous source, that Manny will attest the positive result to medication received by his doctor for a “personal ailment.”

Major league baseball does not allow players in violation of their drug policy to be paid during suspensions. This will result in a 31% pay cut for Manny, equating to roughly $7.7 million of his $25 million salary.

manny99The dodgers have made the call to the farm for Xavier Paul for tonight’s game against the the Nationals. All of this means that Manny will be out until July 3rd and that Pierre is expected to get the lion’s share of playing time in the outfield. I expect Pierre to bat ninth because his speed is best utilized in that spot with our lineup. But who knows what Torre will do with the lineup now? If he was still trying to figure out who to put where then he has even more thinking to do now!

If anything it will be interesting to see what Paul can do. I got some good looks at him in Spring Training and he looked ready but we will not know until he gets run out there. There is a rather large mental part of this game, just ask James McDonald.

We can all go round and round about how terrible this is and speculate about this and that. We can wallow in self pity for losing one of THE best hitters in all of baseball for 50 games. But none of that will matter, or change anything. I for one am already moving past this bump in the road and thinking about the rest of the team and how this is a good chance to rally together and prove that they can get it done on their own! That is really all we can do, look past the circus and all the fans from other teams saying “I told you so,” just move on.

So now let’s hear your thoughts on what the lineup should look like without Manny.

About Miguel Salcido

Professional online marketing consultant, husband, father, completely obsessed Dodgers fan, writer, speaker, and all around sports fan. I represented LADodgerTalk.com in the press box at Dodger Stadium last season. My favorite player is Orel Hershiser. I am currently grooming my 2 and 4 year old boys as avid Dodgers fans. Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk. Oh, and I hate the Giants.

23 Responses to “Manny Suspended 50 Games For Testing Positive”

So now Paul sits on the bench? Not so sure about that one. He had better be worked into the lineup on a regular basis.

Manny and his agent should know better. Dummies. I still think we will be fine if we can just hold serve until he gets back.

There will be a lot of backlash on this one. But, it is MLB. They have looked the other way for years, so, nobody should be too surprised by this. The Dodgers aren’t near the draw without him in the lineup, so this is costing everybody, including MLB. Oh well.

2. Harold says:

So when was the test – this year? No one could be that dumb. This certainly changes the water on the beans. I suspect he was trying to get over the hamstring injury with help. That’s just not good enough. I suppose saving $7.7M will come in handy at the trade deadline. I also suspect the bloom is off the rose for Manny and he is not an option for next year. A 3/4 year contract doesn’t look so good now as many called for. Also his asking price will have to drop.

I think it will force a number of things to happen. With a diminshed offense, maybe we have to go after a front line starter soon. I expect Matt Holliday will be an option for next year. I don’t think he is that good an option away from Coors. I think the team will suffer a real let down now after having been on such a high. It almost can’t be avoided. I expect we will see how much the young players have matured when they have to carry the weight of the team. I expect attendance will be down. I expect JP will get to play and make himself more attractive for a trade, and yes, Paul will do the Delwyn Young thing and sit on the bench. This 13 game home streak is pretty important now.

Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed. However, the game must go on and no player is bigger than the game. It is an embarrassment for the team and a needless one. OK, Ned and Joe earn your bucks. Time to turn things up a notch.

GO DODGERS!!

If what Manny said was true than sue the physician. No physician should practice in the specialty area of sports medicine without knowing what substances are banned.

If Manny lied then treat him like he is Mario.

4. Harold says:

As Tommy says, “When one door closes, another opens.” Some excellent opportunities for our young players now to make good use of this unfortunate event.

That’s my last word on the issue other than to say, as much as I was a Manny detractor, he was/is good for the team, and I feel badly for him that he is in this situation, however it happened.

When Paul joins us we will have 13 young Dodgers on this roster. That is definitely a good thing.

GO DODGERS!!

5. Ed Tolbert says:

The Dodgers have to address the starting pitching now more than ever because their
    offense just backed up to the rest of the “puny” NL West. X Paul really looked good in
    the spring but that means practically nothing. I hope he gets a fair share of the LF
    starts to justify his call-up and see where he’s at right now ability wise. It is a given that
    Juan Pierre will play his ass off and do what he does. Talent wise the Dodgers are still
    the best team in the division so now just go out and prove it.

There is no doubt that this a big black eye for the Dodger organization and a bigger one
    for Manny Ramirez. What an incredible idiot he is. That playing dumb act he likes to show
    has turned out to be no act. He really is is stupid, talented but like Forrest Gump no clue.

6. lawdog says:

To say this is a good thing for the team is like saying the sinking of the Titanic was good because it made the boat builders pay more attention to the number of life rafts a ship that size actually needed to hold passengers and crew if it struck an iceberg.

7. lawdog says:

Monty Python’s Life of Brian:

“Always look on the bright side of life!”

Sign Bonds . . .

Here is my screenplay here.

X. Paul comes up from AAA. Pierre starts for a couple of games, then Torre had Paul start a game. And . . . he takes over. Pounds the ball. Key base hits. Cannot take him out of the lineup.

Dodger outfield: Paul, Kemp, Ethier.

The 50 games are up, here comes Manny. What does Torre do?

That would be a nice problem.

So, what is the linup tonight?

Law Dog

Yes, lets look on the bright side as long as we do not respond like the Black Knight!

10. Voldomer says:

Admittedly Repko is not hitting well at AAA, but since Paul and not Repko was called up, is this a hint that Paul will be the primary guy in LF? Otherwise, why not call up Repko who can be a backup at all three positions?

11. mark says:

Paul plays all 3 OF positions and has a better arm.

Paul in hitting about .150 points higher than Repko.

12. Voldomer says:

If he has a better arm than Repko, that is really saying something. Still though, as with DeWitt, do we want Paul setting around and not playing regularly?

13. lawdog says:

I think we’ll see more Paul than you would normally expect. He was en fuego this spring and if you play Pierre you’ll have three leadoff hitters to unbalance the lineup. Where are you going to bat Pierre. If you Furcal, Pierre, O-Rod, Ethier, etc. you’ll have three banjo hitters getting in each others way on the base paths before you even get to Ethier and the power.

Over the past year or so, when the drug deals happen — I keep thinking that MLB with the Players Union, accept the fact that it disrupts an entire team. They need to create a new format . . .

Money has been budgeted, players counted on, etc.

Here is the deal: when charged (like Manny has), their current contract is up. The player serves out his suspension — then has one week to work a new contract with his old team, if one is not offered, the player must sit out a period of time, like 30 more days, becomes a FA and if another team offer them a contract, they can sign.

I see this is like punishment for breaking the rules. Gets a team out of a possibly hugh contract, and gets a players attention.

A concern is — that a player does not use this way as a way to get off of one team just to join another. Like: take the 50 suspension just to join another team.

15. M says:

Please feel free to comment on this. I’m looking at Manny like, OK you had some insignificant substance and you are a good guy, when I look at that guy with the enormous dome that no one wants and he’s the worst cheating Ahole ever.

Well said Ed. Manny is an idiot, but that does not make him unusual in MLB. We still may need pitching but maybe not. So far, so good. I keep waiting for the wheels to come off, and there is of course plenty of time for that.

I just read that the Dodgers went from 71% favorites to win the West to 66%. We are still the class of the division and Manny will be back in plenty of time to put together a decent year for the Dogs.

Manny loses money, the Dodgers lose money, the agent loses money and MLB loses money. I would think that’s enough incentive to keep players from doing this. But……..who is next?

Paul needs to play everyday and to start he certainly will not. He is the official back-up outfielder now. He will get his time, but not very much unless he plays his way on the starting team. I don’t see that happening, but, it certainly could.

We are still an awesome offensive team – IF the young guys cowboy up and play their asses off for the rest of the year we win this division going away.

M – Bonds is the biggest a$$hole this game has seen for a while. Manny is no where near the jerk Barry is.

17. Harold says:

M. This tears me up. I said I wouldn’t comment anymore on it. However, as we read more it just raises more questions. Manny supposedly took a female type hormone to jump start his natural testosterone. Athetes lose their testosterone making ability when they use steroids. Does that mean he is coming off a steroid cycle? I don’t know.

How can a sports medicine doctor not know what substances are banned and which are OK? Why isn’t that doctor out front on the issue? Players can ask if substances are approved for use or not, to the league office. Why didn’t Manny do that, or his doctor? Was it just a case of embarrassment or something more?

I just wish there weren’t so many questions.Unfortunately, I think Manny might have hurt the game more than Bonds. Everyone knew Bonds was doing something. Manny, as quirky as he is, seemed to be a clean superstar. Tonight we start life without Manny.

GO DODGERS!!

18. Monsta Troll says:

Mark, he was caught using female fertile drugs. It really wouldn’t surprise me if Manny thought it would help him get pregnant.

19. Miguel Salcido says:

You gotta love Bowa’s response to this whole thing, “some of our young kids to grow up now…. We don’t have Manny for 50 games,” Bowa said, “so they’re going to have to go out there and play. … It’s going to be a challenge for them.”

This may be a blessing in disguise. If the team plays well enough without him it will send a message to management that we don’t necessarily NEED Manny to put a championship caliber team on the field. This past off season we NEEDED Manny, after this we may not NEED him. I like the storybook prediction of Paul coming up and mashing his way to rookie stardom.

Putting the doctor in front of this sounds lame. It seems clear what happened here. Manny needs to man up, do his Giambi confession and move away from this. Maybe now he goes back to being a .300 hitter with 30 home run power – who knows. I still think we are the class of the division.

21. Miguel Salcido says:

I didn’t want to continue on about this circus that I knew would unfold throughout today but there are some, unprofessional, writers out there inappropriately making this entire thing look like Manny took HGH, or something, on purpose. That he somehow knowingly tried to enhance his body in order to “cheat.”

REALLY? I mean come on now, anyone with half a brain can see that Manny has hit well over .300 his entire career, his numbers are pretty consistent. And he is known by all three teams he has played on and by all managers, coaches, and players as being one of the hardest working and well prepared guys in the game!

None of that adds up to Manny trying to CHEAT! People are slandering his name and the facts, like Bauman on MLB.com, garbage. He put together a ranting diatribe on how Manny cheated the game and all of the players in it when we don’t know what he tested positive for! Now if it comes out that he took something like HGH or something that makes sense was done to give him a “real” unfair advantage then I say go ahead and blast away. But until then don’t speculate on such serious charges and go on about how he is hurting his fellow players. I have a feeling that its major league baseball that is hurting everyone in what has amounted to a witch hunt of sorts with people like JC Romero and Manny.

MLB needs to really fix this system which is terribly broken. They need to be transparent about what comes through as positive in these tests. And they need to provide players with a resource that they can go to to test things that they want to take. It feels like many players just don’t really understand the system or what exactly they can or cannot take.

JC Romero is suing the company that made his supplement (it failed to list the banned substance it contained on its label) and the store that sold it to him. Good for him, but he still lost 50 games and so did the fans and so did all of baseball.

The drug testing program is failing the fans, the players, and the business. And it needs to be fixed fast.

“This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” Churchill

Go Dodgers, Players Union, & (Last But Not Least) Truth!!

Death to the Star Chamber

23. Nomad says:

for Manny’s case (and everyone in his position) the “I didn’t know” excuse expired a long time ago