May 22, 2009 – Tony Jackson’s Blog

May 22, 2009 – Tony Jackson’s Blog

Another (yawn) Dodgers-Angels series is upon us

As a newspaper beat writer, I used to dread these crosstown matchups. First of all, I have pretty much hated interleague play since its inception in 1997, and now that the novelty has worn off, I pretty much hate it even more now. Second of all, whenever the Dodgers and Angels meet head to head, a beat writer who has spent all of spring training and all of the season thus far writing every story from either the Dodgers angle or the Angels angle (try typing THAT quickly, Angels angle) is suddenly asked to write a neutral, down-the-middle game story (it’s harder than it sounds, take my word for it).

That’s not to say these series don’t have some value to the media, especially columnists, who always seem to find it ripe with fodder. I remember a few years ago, when one of our dodgerscolumnists at the Daily News (I think it was Steve Dilbeck, but it might have been Kevin Modesti) found the exact midpoint between the two stadiums (I think it was Norwalk, but it might have been someplace else) and went to city hall and asked around town about whether the folks there were Dodgers or Angels fans. I don’t even remember what the conclusion was, but I do remember the column was a really good read. But my point is, there is always stuff like that that you can cull from a crosstown series if you are any kind of sports journalist OTHER than a frazzled beat writer asked to put on a different hat for three days.

Finally — and I would like to hear from all of YOU on this subject, as to whether you agree or disagree — I don’t think this thing carries much weight around town anymore. I don’t think there are that many Dodgers fans who are just dying to beat the Angels, and I don’t think there are that many Angels fans champing at the bit to beat the Dodgers. At least that’s the sense I get. This has gone from being a crosstown rivalry to a six-game scheduling quirk, an annual inevitability that allows each team the luxury of playing three road games without the hassle of getting on an airplane.

Other than that, it’s hard for me to see this as anything other than the next three games on the Dodgers’ schedule. The Dodgers would be well served, I think, to not see it as anything other than that, as well.¬†

On another note, if you’ll pardon the personal aside, I would like to send out congratulations to Miss Taylor Jackson, who graduated from Pine Creek High School in Colorado Springs¬†yesterday while her momentarily unemployed father (i.e., me) watched proudly from the stands at the Air Force Academy’s Clune Arena.¬† This day came way too quickly, seemingly in the blink of an eye. Also, a sincere thank you to her mother, Laura VanHees, for doing such a great job putting together the party afterward. I can honestly say a good time was had by all, and in our family, that is really saying something.

29 Responses to “May 22, 2009 – Tony Jackson’s Blog”

1. Blue Haze says:

Congratulations on the graduation Tony of your daughter from HS, must be rough to have her in Colorado.

2. erik says:

Congrats on your daughters Grad!

On to the topic. I dont care about the angels games. The curiosity factor has worn off for me. I'll admit the year the angels managed to get Vlad from the dodgers i was upset, but since then i just don't seem to care. The only reason i will watch now, other than being a dodger fan, is to see how the dodgers fare against an AL team.

Mark

Has Hoffmann ben called up?

4. grumpy3b says:

There is still a team in Anaheim? I remember reading there was a, hockey I think it was(?) team there and maybe there once was a team when I was a kid, but, you know, I just can't recall any team there these days?

Who is on the schedule this weekend? ;)

So, ummmm, yeah, you could say, eh….not so much…as far as caring. The only time I ever read an Angels box score as a kid was when Ryan pitched. And that was just to see if he walked more guys that he K'd or hit…now that was a fun time! :D

5. Slo Dawg says:

Tony I think the Dodger/Angel series is far more important to Angel fans then it is to Dodger fans. At least it seems to be to those I know. I live in Rancho Cucamonga where the Angels SIngle A team plays so I am surrounded by Angel fans. All the Angel fans I know want to put this on the same level as the Dodger/Giant rivalary and we all know that isn't the case!

To me it's just another series. I too am tired of inter-league play.

• Blue Haze says:

SloDawg, I went to the first league game for the Quakes when that stadium first opened, early 90's i think.. Had a blast at the game, sat in those front row seats along the tird base line, with the counter-top in front of your seat. I believe they were affiliated with the Padres franchise in those days.

Anyway when you mentioned the Rancho Cucamonga area, it brought back memories.

I am not a big fan of the inter-league games in general. I would rather have two leagues that only face each other in the WS, giving more games against divisional opponents.

GO Dodgers!!! Damn it, GO LAKERS!!!

6. Jamie says:

i TOTALLY agree with you!

super boring!

please schedule some teams we don't have the opportunity to see everyday!

7. DavidB says:

I actually find the interleauge matchups interesting. I am a long time Dodger fan and I enjoy them getting the oppertunity to plays teams that they may only ever play in the world series.

What needs to change is how the match up are set. The Dodgers play the Angels every year; that becomes a little much.

I would love to see teams like the O's play the Dodgers or like the Red Birds playing the Angels. Make the match-ups with teams that that paticular maket would otherwise never be able to see.
    So I am a fan it just needs to be modified.

Ken,

It appears that Hoffmann has been called up to replace Xavier Paul, who apparently will be placed on the DL due to an "unspecified" injuy.

If that's the case, given that Pierre is currently starting, the now shorthanded Dodger bench is w/o a lefthanded bat. In a little more than two weeks the Dodgers will begin to get some days off. Maybe it's not too early to consider returning to 12 pitchers, and recall DeWitt to stengthen the bench, while at the same time adding the lefthanded bat and infield flexibilty. I'm sure enough playing time can be found to keep him busy, especially since he can fill in all around the infield. Also a good opportunity to DFA Mota.

Suggestion: It would be nice if there was a preview button to proofread comments. Easier than being forced to scroll, as I will be doing in a moment. If I miss any mistakes, spelling or contextual, blame it on the scrolling. :)

• Ken says:

Hoffmann brings L/R balance to the outfield and I agree that the infield bench needs the same L/R balance. Dewitt should be called up soon but the pitching remains a big concern.

For the hundreth time I will state that this Dodgers starting pitching staff needs to be supported by 3 long relievers. Drop a short reliever soon!

ADMIN GUY why are the letters now smaller with a weird font so that self editing is now even more difficult to accomplish.

Tony told me about 4 hours ago that Hoffman was going to be called up, but I have been involved in the craziness in Indianapolis called the Indy 500 and it ain't nothin' but a party! No time to post!

Peace out!

10. 4everblue says:

The series is more important to them than to us. Actually, only to Arte, who is the only one that wants to make his team look like its an LA team. You cant compare over 50 years of rivalry (Giants/Dodgers) to only 12 years of 6 games a year.

11. Xeiframk says:

Congrats on your daughter's graduation Tony. Your work on "the beat" is missed by all Dodger fans. Probably not by Angels fans as they don't allow newspapers in suntan parlors. Probably has something to do with the whole flammable issue.
    vr, Xeifrank

I went to a 500 mile race once. ONCE. Talk about boring – round and round and round and round …………………. and the noise – I had a headache for days. I would rather have a tooth pulled. It's over much quicker and you can take pills for the pain.

The Angels are not from Los Angeles and are in the American League. I lived in Orange County for years, went to a few games, sat with the seagulls for about $2 a seat and drank cheap beer. I am just not an A.L. guy. Put me in the "who cares" column. They are just another team, beat them and get the W's.

Hoffman huh. Why don't we have a AAA veteran we can call up and leave the guys who need at bats where they can get at bats?

13. Buddy says:

Yes, Hoffman has been called up and Xavier Paul has been placed on the DL due to some unspecified injury.

14. MrMagoo says:

Much rather see us play the Yankees every year but it is just another game. Seems like the Buena Park Angels have had are number lately, so yes, I want to beat them so bad that Mike Sciossa resigns.:}

15. Voldomer says:

I don't live in the LA area, so Dodgers-Angels games mean nothing to me. I do (unfortunately) live in the Chicago area, and folks here love the Cubs-ChiSox games. I don't necessarily mind the interleague games, but I'd rather see more variety in them as opposed to the supposed "natural rivalry" system that locks in six of those games each year. I suspect those local games would mean more if they weren't so common too.

Something sounds fishy on this Xavier Paul DL move. Tony, do you have the dirt?

Paul's move to the DL is now being attributed to a "skin infection on his left leg."

Tony, glad you could be with your daughter and the graduation. Best wishes to her in the present future.

As to interleague. I like it. Please remember — a lot of us do not live in the LA area or even California. Those questions do not concern us.

BUT I think it is really something to be able to play some teams that you will never play ever. Like the Dodgers playing Seattle, or Kansas City, or Detroit, etc. As the years roll around, moving around the teams is interesting.

Believe me, it really gets old to play the teams in one's division 19 or 20 times in a season. Real old and borning. The interleague spices it up a bit.

X-man was hanging out with a member of the Dodger Staff and got a Staph infection

19. wrisp says:

As for the "rivalry" — meh. I guess Arte Morena stirred up some emotion for the match-ups with his geographically challenged renaming. But mostly I just see interleague play as an interruption.

One good thing might come out of this. The Dodgers fans can finally chant, "Beat LA!"

Oh, and congratulations on the graduation. Nothing like a Father-Daughter job search.

Skin infection. If it's contagious, it could lead to a rash of Dodger injuries.

OK, that was weak.

I see Kershaw is still having trouble locating the strike zone. 59 pithces to get through 3 innings. That pace will get him 5. Man, when this kid learns to throw stirkes.

21. MrMagoo says:

Tony, thanks for joining thee BEST DAMN DODGER SITE in this Universe. I too have a daughter that graduated what seems like last week, yesterday she turned 30. Time just keeps going faster and faster… Enjoy every last second and thanks a ton for your insight :}

22. Silvia says:

Congratulations to your daughter!

When it comes to the Angels vs Dodgers series it always feels like an exhibition game to me no matter what! I forget a bit and pretend that it doesn't count. I do enjoy when we play other teams though! As long as we win I am happy! The worst thing about it? The plethora of drunken morons who come to head full force at those games and won't pipe down! My boyfriend works at the stadium as security and says these types of games are never fun!

Well if you don't live in SoCal then you don't know the annoyence of Angel fans. It is a big deal to win this series. I am sorry Tony but a beat writer does not a Dodger fan make. Mark living in Indiana doesn't expose you to the daily Angel hype. (God love you both, this site)

Romey you said you live in the Inland Empire, which is a burb of L.A.. I used to live in Los Alamitios and varioous other Orange County cities before I moved to Northern California. I saw the Angels go from L.A. to O.C., in fact went to many games when they were playing at Chavez. Angel fans back then were few, but when they moved miles away from L.A. it gave that growing community a team. It wasn't a rivalry then because the Angels were in a different league. I am not sure where this "rivalry" came from but I suspect it is a creation of Moreno. He is a smart guy. He did hire Scioscia. The idea is to get the people down there interested in baseball, and he has done that. Anyone with a 4th grade education knows the Angels are not from Los Angeles. I am much more interested in how the Dodgers do within their own division. Arizona, San Dieog and San Francisco are far more important to us than are the Angels.

Still,

edit please….

also, what's with the posts getting cut off?

I'll try to be brief…

I see that Blake was 0 for 4 but one of the guys on my "other 3rd baseman list" Chone Figgins got a BB, and 3 hits including the game winner. Blake and Martin had 12 LOB between them. Ouch.

If Kershaw could find a way to get through 7 on 97 pitches (instead of 5) we hold them to 1 run in 9 innings.

The bullpen failed, but, you only score 1 you won't win.

Comments on this thread are now closed. Please post on the current thread. Thank you for your support