Hey, it’s good to be back. Miguel did such a good job that you all will probably want to fire me. But, the hack is back! I read most of the posts and comments while I was gone and I just have a few Rants & Raves:
1. I very much value the 17th pick in the draft, and when we signed the O-Dog and ceded the 17th pick to the D-Backs, we effectively weakened our farms system and strengthened theirs. I reasoned that Hudson’s injury was very serious (and it was) to the extent that he might not come back from it as the same player. Hey, if you knew better, then you are obviously smarter than anyone else on the face of this earth, because no other player has ever came back from this particular injury! So far, the O-Dog looks like a steal and if he keeps it up, I would gladly surrender the 17th pick for that production, but making fun of my apprehension in giving up that pick only demonstrates your lack of foresight! Nothing would make me happier than seeing Hudson be the NL MVP, and if he keeps it up, he could be. He has been an amazing signing for us. He is a stabilizing influence in the clubhouse – defensively and offensively. If he keeps up his current rate of hitting, an argument could be made that he should hit #3! But save your “I told you so” stuff until he proves he can finish the season for us, because he hasn’t done that for anyone for a while!
2. On Tony Abreu: Someone said that I had Tony as our starting 2B. That is simplly false. I said that Tony was a candidate for our 2B job and anyone close to the Dodgers can tell you that was very true. He is very talented… and very unlucky, and maybe not a hard worker, but the guy is extremely talented and is a switch-hitter. He has Orlando Hudson-type talent. Will he realize it? Maybe not, but I have always said he has amazing talent. That’s all. He looked fat in Spring Training.
3. I have always said that Manny was not the key to our season… that our young players were – and I stand by that! Manny is hitting about a “two buck fifty” and we are winning. Now, I do believe that his presence in the lineup helps others around him and I believe he will get hot soon. That scould make us really scary.
4. I have told you in the past that Clayton Kershaw might be our Ace by 2010 – I want to change that prediction to CLAYTON KERSHAW WILL BE OUR ACE BY 2010!
5. In a year, the Rotation of Kershaw, Billingsley, Lindblom, Kuroda and Elbert could be among the best in baseball.
6. It was too bad to see DY go, but he was nver going to play here. Xavier Paul has leapfroggged him, and eith Paul or DeWitt will probbaly be the call-up to replace Doug Mientkiewicz who separated his shoulder – I have read he’s out a month, but it could be alot longer (shoulder injuries can linger…).
Eric Stults leads the Doders with 2 victories. Who knew? What a great story!
Tomorrow I will publish the “Dodgers Minor League Week In Review” to cover all the games for the past week.
Still in Miami until Saturday night.
This Sunday night between 5:30 and 6:45 PM PDT, I may be on Post Game Dodger Talk with Josh Suchon. I will give you details later.