Perfect Timing For A Guest Post: Dodgers 11 Diamondbacks 2

Well here it is, as I nervously twitch with each keystroke, my first guest post for my favorite Dodgers blog. Before I get into the game, which many of you were watching and commenting on in real time last night, let me tell you what makes LA Dodger Talk the best Dodgers blog online.

camelbackranch-2009-0571Its all of you, the readers, the commentors, and even the wannabes. When I saw how many comments this site got I knew right away that this site was something special. Not only that but the highly intelligent, with valid smack talking, comments that go on here made me realize that I had found a home. I no longer go to Dodgers.com or the LA Times or anywhere else first thing in the morning. It’s LA Dodger Talk in the AM, and I am on PST here in San Diego so its hard for me to get up early enough to catch the first comment! I want to hear what Badger has to say today, or what bet is going on between commentors, or Lawdog drop some crazy legalese! You, the commentors that have been there for years that are the life blood of this site. Oh yeah, and that guy Mark, he’s a pretty big part too.

If you haven’t already figured it out my name is Miguel Salcido and although I am fairly new to the site considering that there are people here from 6+ seasons ago (never talk in terms of years, just seasons) I am honored to be given the chance to hold court. I am a passionate Dodgers fan that grew up in Giants country, so I share the same hatred of the Giants as the beloved Tommy Lasorda. I eat, sleep, drink, breath, and bleed Dodger Blue. You can find my profiles and past stuff over at Bleacher Report, RBI Magazine, and my VERY new attempt at my own site Dodgers Baseball News.

So now that I’ve thoroughly kissed everyone’s butt…..

So How Bout Dem Dodgers!!!

That’s what DD stands for right, Dem Dodgers? Eric Stults, Dodgers Saviour and our sixth pitcher used in as many games this season, was not deemed good enough to crack the Dodgers roster just a week ago. But here we are 5 games into the season in need of a starting pitcher. And as we dip into the deep rich well that is “Albaquacky” we pluck out a dandy named Stults. A relative rookie with a playoff victory under his belt and some decent mop up work in 2008.

Stults went a strong 5 and a third with 5 punchouts! He used the fastball well and established the inside part of the plate early pounding the ball in on the Arizona hitters to keep them off balance. Anytime you can do that effectively as a pitcher you will have a high probability of success. He has most likely solidified another start Friday at home against the Rockies, who are hitting the snot out of the ball so far.

I have always liked Stults, he will not dazzle anyone but he eats up innings effectively. He also has tremendous composure and has proven himself under pressure (his mother passed away just before spring training this season and he has a playoff victory on his resume). But hey, I’m the same person that said McDonald would go a strong 5 the other night. I guess you win some, you lose some. But we WON tonight!

Look, the problem all along has been our offense, or lack thereof, and THANK GOD Torre mixed up the lineup just a little bit tonight! Had he not, Martin would have never come up to cash in Manny and Loney with a double in the 4th inning.

Blake struck out twice but ended up 2 for 4 with a run and an RBI. So it seems as though many of us were right. It is really just a matter of time before our offense hits its stride. I mean look at the Phillies, their offense has had a terrible time getting going so far and they have a very good lineup.

How about Hudson climbing the ladder to knock one out! And Loney with a hit and run double with Manny on first, great execution! Ethier finally coming around with a 2-run double. Even Pierre had an RBI single. Yep fellas, its all coming together.

LA Dodgers AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
Blake, 3B 4 1 2 1 0 2 1 .200
Loretta, 2B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Stults, P 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 .000
Belisario, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
a-DeWitt, PH-3B 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 .167
Totals 36 11 11 11 5 10 11
a-Singled for Belisario in the 8th.
BATTING
2B: Martin (2, Petit), Blake (1, Petit), Loney (1, Buckner), Ethier (1, Buckner), Hudson (1, Gutierrez, J).
HR: Hudson (1, 4th inning off Petit, 0 on, 1 out).
TB: Furcal; Hudson 6; Pierre; Loney 2; Martin 2; Ethier 2; Kemp; Blake 3; DeWitt.
RBI: Hudson 3 (3), Martin 2 (3), Ethier 2 (4), Kemp (4), Blake (5), Furcal (1), Pierre (1).
2-out RBI: Furcal; Hudson 2; Pierre.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Kemp; Hudson; Ramirez, M.
S: Stults.
SF: Kemp.
Team RISP: 6-for-12.
Team LOB: 5.

FIELDING
E: Belisario (1, missed catch).
DP: (Blake-Hudson-Loney).

Petit, P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
a-Roberts, PH 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 .333
Buckner, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Rauch, P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
b-Montero, PH-C 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .200
Totals 32 2 6 2 2 8 11
a-Struck out for Petit in the 5th. b-Reached on error for Rauch in the 7th.
BATTING
2B: Young (3, Stults).
3B: Reynolds (1, Broxton).
TB: Young 2; Drew; Clark; Reynolds 4; Snyder.
RBI: Drew (3), Ojeda, A (2).
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Lopez, F 2.
SF: Ojeda, A.
Petit (L, 0-1) 5.0 3 3 3 2 6 1 5.40
Buckner 0.2 4 5 5 2 1 0 15.75
Rauch 1.1 0 0 0 1 2 0 9.00
Gutierrez, J 1.0 4 3 3 0 1 0 11.57
Slaten 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5.40
WP: Buckner.
Pitches-strikes: Stults 95-59, Belisario 27-21, Wade 9-6, Broxton 10-6, Petit 73-42, Buckner 38-21, Rauch 21-13, Gutierrez, J 30-19, Slaten 17-10.
Groundouts-flyouts: Stults 5-6, Belisario 2-0, Wade 0-3, Broxton 1-2, Petit 4-5, Buckner 0-1, Rauch 2-0, Gutierrez, J 0-2, Slaten 3-0.
Batters faced: Stults 21, Belisario 7, Wade 3, Broxton 4, Petit 20, Buckner 8, Rauch 5, Gutierrez, J 7, Slaten 3.
Inherited runners-scored: Belisario 1-0, Rauch 1-0.

About Miguel Salcido

Professional online marketing consultant, husband, father, completely obsessed Dodgers fan, writer, speaker, and all around sports fan. I represented LADodgerTalk.com in the press box at Dodger Stadium last season. My favorite player is Orel Hershiser. I am currently grooming my 2 and 4 year old boys as avid Dodgers fans. Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk. Oh, and I hate the Giants.

19 Responses to “Perfect Timing For A Guest Post: Dodgers 11 Diamondbacks 2”

1. Bluboy says:

Hopefully last nights explosion of runs will get the offense rolling. Wolf's got a tough match in Haren today. I think he needs all the help he can get, so it's odd to see Juan Pierre starting over Matt Kemp.

2. Miguel Salcido says:

It's getting hazy in here. :-) Yes I agree that the offense is not consistent yet. But we did get to Petit for 3 runs and chased him in the 5th. He was on fire last night and throwing extremely well. So I feel that we faired alot better against good starting pitching than we had been.

Yes we scored that 5 spot on the reliever and another 3 later on in the 8th off another pen guy. But hey whether we score them in the first 5 innings or the last 4 I don't really care. As long as we keep scoring them and as long as we win. But consistency will be the key and would also go a long way in lowering my risk of heart attack this year.

3. CobraKai says:

I agree, our offense hasn’t clicked yet but I think it will just be a matter of time. Great first post! Looking forward to some more Dodger talk over the next week. Go Dodgers!

4. Thanks CobraKai. And yes Blueboy Wolf has a tough matchup but our offense has explosive capabilities. If our pitching can just hang in there tonight and our bats keep going we can beat this team consistently.

5. Blue Haze says:

Martin is more impressive when he bats 6 or 7th, IMHO. Last night doesn’t really give any indication about this teams offense. Our explosion occurred while facing the super-long and long relievers from the D-backs pen, not really a test of our batters. I want to see this team be able to step up when when we face the #1 & #2 starters and their closers, so far, offense ain’t really happening yet. I still think this team has way too much inconsistencies in its ranks.

Stultz, way to stick it in managements faces and show they made some bad decisions. Hopefully the other bad roster moves will be allowed to be corrected (quickly).

6. mark says:

In Miami.

Carry on….

7. Bluboy says:

Agreed Blue Haze, but that offensive burst, reguardless of which pitcher it came on, could give them some confidence.

Yes, I think Russell Martin is better suited to bat 6th or 7th in the line-up.

8. Miguel Salcido says:

See the post about Ethan Martin today anyone?

What do you all think, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, or a never will be?

9. Bluboy says:

I hope they don’t rush Ethan Martin. Very impressive for his first outing.

“Ken, I’ll take that over under. Prediction: McDonald goes 6 strong, at least.”

The first day and the guest blogger is already bending it like Beckem (Mark).

Bat Martin 7th and fine him everytime he pulls the pitch during April even if gets a hit!

Stults is great when he hits the black and terrible when he does not. He was completely on the black last night. If he is on the black 60% of the nights then keep him in the rotation. Stults should stay on the 25 man as the 5th starter or left handed long releiver for the entire year.

11. Miguel Salcido says:

Nice Ken, I KNEW that comment was going to get me in trouble as I cursed McDonald’s wildness the other night. And great, I thought to myself, right before my guest posting. Well, I have to take my lumps for that one. I really did think that McDonald would come through.

I feel comfortable when Stults starts, I don’t know what it is about him that makes me comfortable? Maybe its that masterful playoff game against that Mets that he won?

MS

Just don’t spin the past like Mark. There are a lot of posts here calling Mark on the carpet for alleged revisionism.

“Ken, I’ll take that over under. Prediction: McDonald goes 6 strong, at least.”

I’m the same person that said McDonald would go a strong 5 the other night.

13. Miguel Salcido says:

No problems here with lying in the bed I make. I will shout my praises of Mac from the highest peaks. I still think that he will make a fine big league pitcher. But it was obvious that he was not ready the other night.

In hindsight it would have been best to use him in long relief and let him grow into the season. But everything is 20/20 in hindsight! Now Torre must stick with him and hope that he grows up fast.

14. Roger says:

Stults had a unique opporunity going for him last night. But I did not connect it until this morning.

Why? A very good friendof mine, John W., used to play a lot of baseball here in San Antonio. At one time he was in five different softbal/baseball teams at the same time. He considered professional baseball, but newly married and good job — decided against it. One reason, he is a lefty, and at that moment, the major leagues had a lot of left handers. Then, about two years later — the majors were short of them, and he kinda wished he had tried . . . anyway…

He is a Cleveland fan, big time, and at church this morning I went up to him and said: Your Indians will win one of these days. He: I am beginning to wonder, they are 0 for 5 now.

I asked him about Cliff Lee, who was 22 – 3 last year, and ERA under 3. He said: Last year he was a #3 starter, usually pitching against other teams #3 starters — and beat them.

Now, he is up against #1 starters, and those games are different.

Then I mentioned about Stults being called up to start for the Dodgers, and he won. He said: Yes I watched part of that game last night, but he was not pitching against the Diamondbacks #1 like he was supposed to — he pulled an extra pitcher. Makes a difference.

I thought about that.

Wolf is pulling their #2 starter, I believe.

15. Miguel Salcido says:

Great point Roger but did you see Petit last night? He was throwing like a #2 pitcher. And that makes Stults victory last night that much more promising.

16. Roger says:

Some from their end, Stults was throwing like a #2 pitcher.

But there have been games where he could have pulled Webb or another thrower, and been beat, 1 to zip.

It is just, that who you are matched up with, can make a difference.

In the 1956 World Series game 5, Sal Maglie pitched a 2 hitter against the Yankees — and lost, 2 to zip. Because Don Larson no-hit Brooklyn.

Way to step up to the plate Miguel. Very impressive. And I agree with your take about this place. Good baseball bones in here. And I have known Mark for about a decade and you won’t meet a more stand-up guy.

Back from Chase. Nice park. Great place to see a game. More on that later.

I still believe this offense will be in the top 5 in the N.L.. I have been skeptical about the pitching, but today all of them looked very good.

18. hpugnppwie says:

tWvR84 sdahzdaszlqw, [url=http://wgfzpkkkvqty.com/]wgfzpkkkvqty[/url], [link=http://ivghvgzsqqss.com/]ivghvgzsqqss[/link], http://sxpolfyivedv.com/

19. You can likewise find them being used to remain warm at: