4:10 PM ET, April 12, 2009
Chase Field, Phoenix, Arizona
So as everyone is aware, Pierre is getting a start tonight. But who will he be starting in place of? It’s my understanding, after reading the usual sources, that he would start in place of Kemp. That is not a great move by Torre since Kemp is .364 lifetime against Haren. But Ethier is .467 and Manny is .500 so I guess that would be playing the averages (pun intended).
I feel comfortable with Pierre in the lineup. He is a solid player, is very prepared, keeps his head in the game, etc. I know that he has a weak arm and that I can’t count on him for a home run ball. He has speed and hits for average which are two things that can disrupt an opposing pitcher. We will have plenty o’ speed today with Furcal, Hudson, and Pierre in the lineup. I would not want to be catching for the Dbacks today!
- Kemp has a six game hitting streak going into today’s game, yet he’s not starting.
- Martin is still struggling offensively, despite yesterday’s 2 RBI night, let’s see if he can improve tonight.
- Wolf said that he needs to attack the strike zone and not pick at the corners. Challenging hitters could be a good thing or a bad thing, let’s hope its the former and not the latter.
- Haren was outstanding in his first start, stifling the explosive Rockies lineup. Let’s hope we can take him down a notch today.
- The Padres are currently in first place in our division and that is just ludicrous. We MUST over take them as I live in San Diego and have to face my family today (about 35 people) for Easter and about 60% of them are Padres fans. I will hear it all day how the Padres are in first because it will be the only time all year that they can claim that!
- And since I have not posted the minors stuff like Mark usually does I’ll leave you with this great Dodgers minor league roundup from TrueBlueLA.