This Years’ Phoenem is…

Josh Lindblom.  I have read that the Dodgers won’t consider using him as the #5 starter, but if he keeps up the way he has been pitching, what else can they do?  He’ll make the team as a reliever, if not as a starter.  Castro could make it over Hu, but for the sake of Hu’s psyche, I would keep him and call up Juan if Hu can’t hack it after a few weeks.   Also, I see Elbert making it as the situational lefty.  He can start later as he builds arm strength.  I expect to see  McDonald start the season in the pen and transition to the rotation after the All-Star break, but since Lindblom has never started, maybe Lindblom goes to the pen, where he is very comfortable.  Schmidt goes down for a rehab assignment until the end of April.  Anyway, here’s my best guess as to the opening day roster, though a lot is left to be decided.  Absent is Delwyn Young, who is out of options and whom we will MOST CERTAINLY lose!  Blake DeWitt is playing very well, and Joe could keep him over Doug Mientkiewicz, but Joe likes Mientkiewicz, and the fact that he can play OF means that Blake probably has to go to AAA for at least a while.   Our AAA team should be loaded!

Starters

24.

RP

Scott Elbert

25.

CL

Jonathan Broxton

21 Responses to “This Years’ Phoenem is…”

1. ken says:

If Honeybutt can turn Vargas around I will change my opinion of his coaching abilities.

With your additions of Lindblom and Scrabble I assume that you are waiving Young and Bargas. (Edit Vargas)

Any 25-man that includes 3 possbile (EDIT possible) long relievers is good.

When the LV 51s were stacked 3-4 years ago we had great hipe (EDIT hope) for the future. Now the same is true about Albuquereque.(EDIT Albuquerque)

Mark you could add the EDIT function on your company website (tax deductible) and copy the language to this web site.

2. Mark Timmons says:

Someday…

Just spell better.

Ha!

:smile:

3. Mark Timmons says:

Well, here’s the scoop on thwe 4th Grade Championship Game:

My “superstar” scored 19 points. You can only score 18, but free throws don’t count.

The rest of the team scored 1 point!

ONE POINT!

They were 0 for 31 from the floor!

They missed 11 of 12 Free Throws.

I was totally dumbfounded.

We lost 26-20!

So, with 2 seconds left in the game, I told my “superstar” to shoot a 3 and he drained it. The other team started protesting that it didn’t count (it didn’t) and I responded that unless it was a 6-point shot it didn’t make any difference…

What a way to lose!

I have 3 problems with the roster above;

1. we have 3 back-up infielders, none with real pop, and 1 back-up outfielder, also with no pop.

2. way too many unproven arms

3. see 1 and 2

Somefin’ is gonna happen to fix this.

Mark, 0 for 31? Your team’s problem is obviously a coaching issue.

I think James McDonald may have won the 5th starters spot with his performance today. At least he has my vote.

6. Voldomer says:

I’d like to see McDonald get that starter slot too. It makes more sense to me that he would start and Lindblom (if he makes the roster) would relieve.

I think Weaver has to be on the roster as a long man, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Milton and/or Vargas makes it too. To start the season, subtract Troncoso, Elbert, and probably Lindblom from Mark’s roster, and replace them with Weaver, Milton/Vargas, and/or Mazone/Randolph. Give the vets a chance for a few weeks, and then call up the kids in case of disaster or if they force Ned’s hand with their play.

I could see a similar thing happening with Hu and DeWitt. Keep Castro and Mientkiewicz, or keep DeWitt rather than the latter. I think Torre could use DeWitt enough between pinch hitting, 2B, and 3B that he didn’t stagnate.

PeeWee is the problem. With 12 pitchers, there simply is no room for him. Expect a pulled hamstring or something similar in a couple of weeks. ;-)

Voldomer has hit the nail directly on the head. nuff said. I also agree with Badgers statement of too many infielders/Pierre with Zero pop. We need a Tomato Signs or similar type bench player. I already miss Nomar. Maybe we can find a bargin on the wires towards the roster deadline or trade Pee Wee for a better bench guy. Pee Wee might make a better impact for another team on an everyday basis. McDonald should be the #5 until Schimidt decides he can finally play.

8. Mark Timmons says:

Billy,

Juan Pierre’s agent was granted permission to find a trade for him 3 weeks ago. Maybe you have more connections. Get ‘er done!

9. ken says:

Vold and Bill

Good thoughts, but who else beside Peewee are you going to release from the 40 man? You have to simultaneously deal with the 25 and the 40-man rosters and their future year consequences. If you add those old guys then how can you also add Lindblom to the 40-man without releasing someone who might mature this year and be on the 25-man in 2010. Who was that relief pitcher that the Dodgers released and a year later he was somebody’s closer?

25-man
    Billingsley
    Wolf
    Kuroda
    Kershaw
    Vargas

Weaver – Addition by 60-Daying Schliting?
    McDonald

Hu
    Abreu – 15-Day DL ???

Paul
    Repko
    Hoffman

Young (No Options) – Waive for Castro

Who will be waived if Lindblom is added?

Maybe some of those AAA relief pitchers will be waived. Now is crunch time for Ned and Torre to earn their money.

10. ken says:

Mark

Who do you like better Pierre or Paul?

I saw Paul run circles around a ball that he should have catch yesterday. I hope he just had a bad day. Mark, I do have connections and should be getting a deal done shortly for Pierre. Thanks for checking in. :smile:

Ken,
    I was just kicking around ideas for more bench help with pop. I also like McDonald in the #5 spot. I really had not started to put together the 25 or 40 man roster yet. It will get very tricky in the next few weeks.

13. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I like your thinking (and explanation), but you sound like a damn CPA or an attorney…

or both!

Dang!

:smile:

14. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I like Paul better as a sub.

Pierre better as a starter, but Paul would be great on this team if we didn’t have Pierre.

15. mario says:

Right on Bill, having Pedro on our team is not gonna hurt..
    We have nothing to lose…

Mark, of course the kids are important to our team, 80% of the team is made up of them…But you always have to dig into Manny for some reason…Its as if you want the young guys to succeed on there own…Not gonna happen

16. SpokaneBob says:

I don’t trust Weaver. No Vargas, and certainly no Estes. Mc Donald will earn a shot. Go with the young strong arms and forget the rehabs. Lets keep building from our system.

I would find a way to Keep Young or use him in a package to improve the team. Best case, we trade Juan and some kids to make us better.

17. ken says:

Mark

I want to get one of those jobs as a part-time special assistant to Ned. Or maybe with Ng when I reach retirement age.

18. ken says:

Accurate legal interpretations from a reporter?

NEW YORK (AP)—The baseball players’ association filed a grievance against the major league clubs after the Los Angeles Dodgers said charitable donations will be required in future player contracts.

Manny Ramirez agreed to make a $1 million donation to the Dodgers Dream Foundation when he accepted a $45 million, two-year deal from Los Angeles on March 4.

“Every future Dodger will be asked to fill in a blank line,” Los Angeles owner Frank McCourt said Thursday. “They’re making a lot of money, these players. We won’t tell them how much to contribute, that wouldn’t be right.”

Not so fast, said the Major League Baseball Players Association. The grievance was filed Friday and, unless settled, will be decided by arbitrator Shyam Das.

“Players are free to choose to make donations to club charities, but clubs can’t require such donations by contract,” union general counsel Michael Weiner said Saturday. “Provisions that require players to make contributions to clubs’ charities are unenforceable under the basic agreement. It’s not a subject that the Basic Agreement permits individual bargaining on.”

Article II of baseball’s labor agreement states contracts can include special covenants “which actually or potentially provide additional benefits to the player.”

Rob Manfred, baseball’s executive vice president of labor relations, said the provisions are allowed. Many players and teams have included them in contracts.

“As long as they are individual club policies, a club is free to bargain hard over what it is looking for,” Manfred said. “These clauses are freely negotiated by individual players and clubs. There’s no element of coercion in those negotiations. We’re at a loss to understand how the MLBPA could possibly take the position that making a charitable donation does not provide a benefit to the player.”

McCourt sounded surprised by the union’s litigation.

“I have not seen the grievance, but I find it odd that in these challenging times, that we encounter a complaint against the idea of players giving back to the communities that support them,” he said in a statement. “We believe there are qualities that represent the Dodger way. The player’s contributions to the team, appreciation of the fans, and impact on such a supportive community all combine to help our organization live up to our core values. We seek players who embrace these values. The Ramirez provision is a blank line to be filled in with whatever number a player chooses.”

The filing of the grievance was first reported by espn.com.

40 Man Roster as of 3-20 (I think)

Pitchers

27 Matt Kemp
    75 Xavier Paul
    9 Juan Pierre
    99 Manny Ramirez
    17 Jason Repko
    3 Delwyn Young

Waive the ones you want, and it’s quite possible we will get them back. I still say something will be done to strengthen this bench.

20. Roger says:

Spoke-Bob suggests we “trade Juan and some kids to make us better.”

That is fine — but trading Pierre and even minor leaguers — only brings another major league player here — still have one too many.

Unless Bob means to trade Hu, or Repko, or Elbert – - – or someone that would make the 25 man roster, that might free up a slot.

Now, if we are talking Ethier or Kemp or Loney and bring in a big gun — that causes a lot of pain.

Also, agree too many subs of: Hu, Castro, Loretta, Mientkiewicz, and Pierre —- just too many light bats and that is 4 indfielders and 1 outfielder. Not a good balance. Don’t tell me that Hu, or Castro, or Loretta, or Mientkiewicz could stand in left field in a pinch.

I think that the front office will play the DL, days off, more short injuries to work the roster the first month — then they will know.

21. SpokaneBob says:

Roger (Anew) I was only suggesting that there is a possibility of Ned putting a trade together. In fact, I am fine with going with what we have. I would like to find a way to keep Young. I think if Manny left and we came up empty on Holiday and/or Bay, He might be a good option in left feild. Yhe kid can hit.

Not even a LawPuppy, but it seems to me there is a big difference between negotiating a contract with a free agent that requires a chartible contribution and inserting a clause in the basic player contract. I don’t see why the players association is getting involved in this issue.