The Beatings Will Continue Until The Morale Improves

camelbackranch-2009-0082That’s my policy!

Tony Jackson reported the following:

•  At 8:30 AM yesterday, when Matt Kemp walked into the clubhouse, Manny greeted him with, “I was here at 6 a.m., where were you?” To which the ever-witty Kemp responded with, “I was here three weeks ago.” …
  • Justin Orenduff was DFA’ed.
  • Greg Miller,  Jacobo Meque, Yhency Brazoban and Ronald Belisario were optioned to minor-league camp.
  • Jason Schmidt is fine, they are just taking it slow.

Fridays’ Game:

• Randy Wolf pitched 3 shutout innings – I’d say he’s our #2 starter.
  • Jeff  Weaver pitched 2 scoreless innings – he’s looking pretty good.
  • Brain Mazone struck out the last batter of the game to get the save – he’s in the mix for the situational lefty spot.
  • Doug M. Hit another HR.
  • Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com gives a glimpse of how the Dodgers linup might look.

HITTING STATS

CL

Jonathan Broxton

Still Possible

Juan Castro

Could take Hu’s place

Mitch Jones

Can a 32-year old make it- he’s been great?

Jeff Weaver

Can he re-invent himself?

Claudio Vargas

He has a contract.

Victor Garate

Looked good and bad so far

Brent Leach

He has the stuff to be a situational LH.

Ramon Troncoso

Looked good on Thursday – good shot!

Delwyn Young

Is the end of the line near?

Tony Abreu

Injured again, but unknown.

Blake DeWitt

Deserves to play in LA, needs AAA.

Xavier  Paul

Someday his time will come.

Eric Milton

Good outing followed by bad outing.

Brian Mazone

Possibility for situational lefty.

Jamie Hoffman

Has the tools to be a 5th OF.

PRESS RELEASE

MARK SWEENEY ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT, JOINS DODGERS STAFF AS ASSISTANT COACH

CAMELBACK RANCH – GLENDALE – Mark Sweeney, one of the premiere pinch-hitters in baseball history, today announced his retirement after a 14-year Major League playing career.  The 39-year-old will now join the Dodgers field staff as an Assistant Coach.  General Manager Ned Colletti made the announcement.

“We are excited to be able to keep Mark Sweeney in the Dodger organization and we congratulate him on his retirement from his playing career,” said Colletti.  “With 14 years of big league experience, he will bring some very valuable baseball knowledge to our staff.”

Sweeney will be in uniform for all pre-game workouts during the regular season, and will also serve as an instructor during Spring Training.  Sweeney will serve as a liaison between the Dodgers’ advance scout and the club, including series preparation.

“I truly enjoyed my experience last season with the Dodgers, Joe Torre, and his staff,” said Sweeney.  “I look forward to the opportunity to continue that association and to give something back to the game I enjoy so much.”

Sweeney ranks second in baseball history with 175 pinch-hits behind only Lenny Harris (212), who was hired by the Dodgers on October 31, 2008 as the Senior Hitting Coach at Camelback Ranch – Glendale.  With Sweeney, Harris, and longtime Dodger coach Manny Mota, the Dodgers now have as coaches the top three pinch hitters of all-time.  Mota logged 155 pinch-hits during his career, and retired as the all-time leader in Major League history before being surpassed by Harris and Sweeney.

Sweeney batted .254 with 42 homers and 250 RBI in 1,218 games with St. Louis (1995-97), San Diego (1997-98, 2002, 2005), Cincinnati (1999), Milwaukee (2000-01), Colorado (2003-04), San Francisco (2006-07), and the Dodgers (2007-08).  The left-handed hitter also is baseball’s all-time leader with 102 pinch-RBI.  Sweeney hit .258 (175-for-679) as a pinch-hitter in his career.  He appeared in three postseasons, including one World Series with San Diego in 1998.

24 Responses to “The Beatings Will Continue Until The Morale Improves”

1. Harold says:

Your roster assumes JP has been traded.

2. Mark Timmons says:

Yes, and that is a HUGE assumption, because I have real doubt that a deal can be done.

Any deal can be done.

I’ll bet the Giants would love to add Pierre. Especially if we pay for it.

Off to Pheeniks!

You should never assume. But what do I know, I’m just a little bitch that’s never played the game. I can’t handle the truth.

5. Mark Timmons says:

I want to go on the record that I did not say that.

Besides, you’re not so “little.”

:smile:

6. Mark Timmons says:

If I had to guess I would say that JP will be a Dodger on Opening Day. Here’s why:

Why would the Dodgers pay a substantial part of his salary, when they really don’t have another CF other than Jason Repko?

And… if they don’t pay a substantial part of his salary, no one will take him.

He’s just a 4th OF and an insurance policy if Kemp goes down. However, I do not like him as a 4th OF as I think he has to play every day and he is not a good pinch hitter.

He deserves to play somewhere else – hopefully we can make it happen.

I like X. Paul a lot.

Mitch Jones too!

But I’m a bitch? :smile: Hey have fun today with Badger. Maybe between the two of ya, you can figure out what to do with JP. Lay low on the cactus juice, I hear it’s a killer.

8. Mark Timmons says:

You are trying to put too many words in my mouth. I would never say that. I was just joking with you. No cactus juice for me…

If Juan Pierre defers his salary for 100 years, then I think we can get a deal done.

9. ken says:

Yesterday Ken Posted the following questions:

Mark

Do you know of a team that needs an outfielder and has extra starting pitching?

I just wanted to know if there is anywhere for Pierre to play other than for the Dodgers and if yes then does that team(s) have any pitching that they might trade for Pierre.

Florida – platoon with Cody Ross?
    San Diego – restructure contract and then throw in 5 player deal for Peavy?

Any legitimate ideas?

Mark did not respond to me but said as follows:

How come no one answered my questions above? Do the facts confuse you since your minds are already made up?

Mark yesterday was really funny

10. ken says:

Mark

In the “Roster Race” what about adding more categories?

Disabled List Candidates
    DFA Candidates
    Potential Additions to 40 Man Roster

11. SpokaneBob says:

Juan is an expensive bench player, but championship teams need a quality bench. If we can work a trade that helps the organization, then do it. But having him on the bench is OK by me. This team has a tremendous amount of flexibility and it will allow Torre alot of options during a game. Plus, it is a long season and we know there will be injuries and we will need all the depth we have.

As Mario was saying yesterday, Juan will not accept that role. To Marks credit, Juan hasn’t caused much fuss up until this point. We would have a very strong but expensive bench if he would accept this role. Juan wants to play everyday and is beginning to remind me of a very portly fellow that we had on the team last year. One that doesn’t realize what reality truely is. Again, yes he’s the hardest worker on the team but lacks the skills needed to improve the starting lineup. Now with that being said, Mark please don’t throw Mama from the train. :smile:

13. ken says:

Rats! I had to go to another blog to find an answer.

Back from the Ranch. Good day at the ballpark. Our regulars beat their regulars and our minor league pitchers got thumped.

You probably don’t want to hear this, but the best offensive player on the field today was Juan Pierre. He also closed quickly on a single up the middle and with a quick release hit his cut-off man and held a runner who could have scored from second against a slower reacting centerfielder.

Hudson still has his Gold Glove. Paul is making a statement. Estes looked good one pitch, horrible the next. Mota couldn’t seem to find the corners. Bills looks like a number 1. Manny looks happy and the place went crazy when he left a practice field after shagging some flies. There were near 12,000 people there, a record for that park and all of them were spending money all over the joint. Heck, even I bought a new hat and spent $90 bucks for two tickets – in the 6th row to right of home plate.

Things look fine in Dodgerland. That is, if we can find some bullpen guys who can get somebody out.

Mark and Roger both look good, well, as good as either of them can look, and we had a great time. All in all, it was a great 61st birthday.

15. mario says:

Mark hates Manny…

Badger, Happy B-day brother.

OK, I am just floating this out there. The rumors are Kemp is a hard headed youngkid with a bad attitude. However the league is still in love with his upside, right?

We need starting pitching and FRONT LINE starting pitching!

Would Kemp & McDonald bring Roy Holladay?

With the spring X.Paul is putting together I think he coul be everything Kemp is. I think Kemp has a lot to prove before he is labeled untouchable.

Doc Holliday is as dominate a pitcher as there is in the MLB. I believe this is our year to go for it. I also fully expect to be back in Oct. If we go against a team like Philly or the Mets we will need an ace. Bills folded like a cheap suit in the NLCS last year. The team lost a lot of respect when he refused to have Martin and Mannys back. He left it up to Kuroda in the next game.

I think the time is now. I am ALL IN!!

…on second thought I trade Kemp and Bills for Holliday

19. Mark Timmons says:

Romo,

I wouldn’t trade Chad Billingsley even up for Roy Halladay, let alsone throw in Matt Kemp. Yes, Kemp may never realize his potential, but he’s still very young, and I’m not ready to give up on him. He may also be a monster! I would trade C-Bill for Halliday if he wasn’t on te downhill slide. Billingsley is 23 and halladay is 32. Halladay has 1,800 innings on his arm. This about this. When Roy Halladay was 23, he had a 10.57 ERA for Toronto. It took him 2 more years to get under 3.00. He is agreat pitcher, but C-Bill had a 3.16 ERA at 23. Do you think it’s possible he’ll learn to pitch inside and get even better. He has already done that this spring – he’s pitching inside more. He’s learned from what happened to him last year. Roy Halladay has never been in the playoffs, so we don’t know how he will preform, but he does have a 9.00 ERA in All-Star games.

The only baseball scouts who think X. Paul has as much upside as Kemp are in the Nut House.

X. is not a CF, so does Pierre stay and play CF.

Sorry, I can’t see that – Pierre wakens our offense too much.

20. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I didn’t answer because there is NO answer!

21. GoNzO says:

Just went on yesterday’s link and read your rant mark, er post. What we have here is just a difference of opinion. Do we want someone of high character on the team yes. Who do we have a better shot at reaching the WS with? We all know the answer. Pierre is talented, he is in MLB afterall, but as fans and critics, (not vry good ones to your thinking) we all know that sports are about “what have you done for me lately”

So if we don’t think JP is not a fit for this team we’ve never played the game huh? I played most of my life until my arm blew out, of course I never threw 97 MPH like you did, but I was a decent servicable player. I’m still involved with the game as I coach a U-13 team that traveled to Cooperstown and took 7th out of 24 teams there that were all older, stronger and faster than we were. But I built a team with kids that FIT the type of baseball I wanted to play. So maybe since I don’t know jack about the game and know for a fact the the front office personel for the Dodgers do, JP does not fit the type of ball they want to play. The only thing he brings to the table is speed and the occasional hit or walk that he gets.

As for your No. 4 you’ve said on this blog that you did time for something you didn’t do and got a retrial and were set free, (with no lawyer). Now, if that’s not having a second chance at life, I don’t know what is.

22. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

For the record, Pierre cannot be on this team, in my opinion, but he’s a good player in the right situation – this team is not it. I agree with that. A year ago, I called for Ethier to start over him and I belive that if doesn’t play every day, he;s not effective.

On second chances – in my opinion, a second chance is when you blow your first chance. That’s not what happened in my case, and

I never said You didn’t know anything about the game.

I just think Pierre is a good guy…

who should be on another team!

23. Mark Timmons says:

Just my opinion…

Pierre showed yesterday why he is still an everyday player. He brings an energy to the field that nobody else on our team does. Mark is right, this isn’t the right situation for him.

And I heard yesterday that Odog says he can outrun him. If that is true, Wills needs to work with O on pressing the running game.

It is still too early to know about the pitching. We watched Schmidt throw before the game and he looked – ok. Tony Jackson was in there with him, and Mark talked with him after and Tony said Schimdt says he felt fine. If, big IF, Schmidt is ok, it would help us dramatically.

I am still not sold on this bullpen, but like I said, it’s early.