Posted on 08 March 2009.
and it may be unfair to compare the two.
Dodgertown was built for a different time, in a different part of the country and it’s history shall be legendary. As I often wandered the complex at Vero Beach, I swear I heard the ghosts of Jackie, Campy, the Walters, Gil, Don, Al and Jim Gilliam talking about the “Dodger Way to Play Baseball.”
Those voices weren’t at Camelback, beacause there is no history there. The Dodgers and fans like you and me are making that history. Forty-five years from now, when my son is my age, will he walk through the complex at the New Dodgertown at Camelback Ranch, and hear the ghosts of Tommy, Frank, Manny, Joe, Raffy and others or will it just be another Spring Training venue? When he walks through the busts on the Dodgers Walk of Fame of Jackie, Sandy, Don, Maury, Tommy, Russell and Andre, will he get cold chills? I have a feeling he will hear a new set of voices whispering throughout the complex, talking about what else – the Dodger Way To Play Baseball!
Thank you Frank and Jamie McCourt, and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Your commitment to excellence has “Dodgers” written all over it!
Yesterday’s Game Highlights & Lowlights:
- Casey Blake rolled out of his wheelchair (groin) and went 2-3.
- Xaxier Paul continued to impress with a triple.
- Juan Pierre was the player of the game – he went 2-3 with 2 RBI and 2 SB
- AJ Ellis threw out 2 runners (by a big margin) and went 1-3 with a SB that allowed Jamie Hoffman to steal home.
- Billingsley pitched 3 strong innings, helped by the 2 erased runners from AJ Ellis – C-Bill has a 1.29 ERA for Spring Training
- Hu and DeWitt both had errors – Hu’s helped lose the game!
- Estes isn’t relevant anymore.
- We are a much better team with O-Dog in there.
- Will Hu, Abreu and DeWitt all go to AAA?
- Troy from West Virginia showed up at camp yesterday and was promptly not arrested!