Posted on 29 March 2009.
UPDATE: Dodger brass watched as Will Ohman pitched a simulated 2-inning game to Dodger minor leaguers today. Hummmm… I wonder if he would sign for a mil? Jason Schmidt is supposed to start today!
The Dodgers seem intent on converting Scott Elbert back to a starter, so with that in mind, he was sent down, probably to start the season at AAA. Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com says that the Dodgers may keep as many as 5 non-roster invitees – Jeff Weaver, Tanyon Sturtze and either Erick Threets or Brian Mazone and infielders Doug Mientkiewicz and Juan Castro. Gurnick summarizes the roster sitation extremely well, so I won’t belabor the point. Remember, that what we start with won’t necessarily be what we have even by May 1st.
Joe Torre and Ned Colletti are closer to the situation than I am so I will have to defer to them. They probably want Elbert and Lindblom starting every 5th day in case we need one of them later. Both will be solid #2 – #4 type starters, so I am OK with that. I am actually OK with Hu going to AAA as well. The Isotopes should be “Loaded” with DeWitt at 3B, Hu at SS and Abreu at 2B.
- McDonald has “won the 5th starter job by default” – let’s see what happens.
- Where will Schmidt go for rehab?
- Will Vargas an Young start the season on the DL?
- Will the anemic hitting by Furcal, Hudson, Kemp, Loney and Ethier carry over into the season? For the most part, they have been horrid!
- Will this be Russ Martin’s breakout year? He sure looks like he came to play. He has stepped up his game. Too bad I can’t say the same about Loney and Kemp.
- Andre Ethier is his own worst enemy according to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times. He’s passionate about the game, but needs to just ease up a little bit. I guess I’d rather have a guy who was wound too tight than not tight enough, but this does give me insight into why he sometimes hits best when he’s not under pressure (“softy”). If he can ease up, he might become a monster with the bat.
- Manny is hitting .533, but like I have maintained all along, Manny can’t win it by himself – the youngsters have to step up or shut up! Manny will be Manny, but this teams’ fortunes ride on the backs of the Martins, Kemps, Ethiers and the Loneys.
- Will Raffy return to what he was?
- Is the O-Dog’s injury going to be a factor all year? Will he ever be the player he once was?
Lots of questions, to be sure!