We really need to talk, because it doesn’t matter if Manny wants to hit third, the Dodgers will be better served if he hits fourth and here’s why:
- It’s a given that Rafael Furcal and Orlando Hudson will be our 1,2 hitters;
- It’s also quite likely that Russell Martin and Andre Ethier will have higher on-base percentages than Furcal or Hudson;
- You saw Manny get walked twice intentionally on Friday - and he might as well get used to it, but if Ethier hits behind Manny and Martin hits in from of him, I believe that pitchers will be fored to pitch to him more often;
- I also believe that Matt Kemp will be a 30-30 guy (not 40-40 yet), but that his batting average will drop. I expect him to hit .270 or so with 30 HR and 30 SB from the #7 spot!
This is your lineup, Joe:
- Furcal SS
- Hudson 2B
- Martin C
- Manny LF
- Ethier RF
- Loney 1B
- Kemp CF
- Blake 3B
That’s the ticket, Joe. Pay attention!
Friday’s Game Notes:
- Delwyn Young won the game on a pinch hit in the 9th (nice shot in the gap) – he’s at .320;
- Cory Wade retired all three hitters he faced and says he felt good;
- McDonald pitched 2 scoreless but was wild with 4 BB;
- Mota was again “lights out” and now has a spring ERA of 1.50; and
- Jeff Weaver is working his way onto the roster.
Today, my “FINAL FIVE” are