The Slimedog is Back

penny33I do give the guy credit – every few years he does write a relevant column, and he’s way overdue, but today is not the day!   TJ Slimers of The LA TIMES writes that “The Dodgers should have held on to Brad Penny rather than getting angry at him — especially knowing their strategy is take advantage of the trading deadline.” Oh OK!  Let’s keep a guy who is (1) surley with fans; (2) late all the time; (3) has a horrid work ethic; and (4) leaves his team while they are in battle.  Sorry TJ, but I rather stick toothpicks in my eyes than have to put up with that fat, surly, lazy, punk.  Oh, I’ll give him credit – he has great stuff, he just doesn’t work or think.  Other than that, he’s just fine.  A couple of years ago he arrived at Spring Training obviously lighter (sans about 30 pounds) and had a good season.  You could see he was out of shape last Spring, and you also see the result.  A man a whole lot wiser than Slimers says “you reap what you sow.”  Some say, “what goes around, comes around, Karma!”   At the prime of his career, Brad Penny got a one-year/$5 million dollar deal when a guy whose stuff is arguably not much better, gets paid that much by the Yankees  for just a month of work.  That guy (CC) also knows how to pitch.  Brad Penny has a $30 million dollar arm… and a 10 Cent brain!   I could say he has a nickel’s worth of guts, but I think it’s just a Penny!

Oh, Larry Bowa hurt your feelings?  Did he say you were a sissy?  Did he call you a “girly man?”  OK, I can see resting your arm, but how about working that fat a$$?  I can see you not throwing, but why do you have to show up late?  I can see not stressing your arm, but can’t you be part of the team in the dugout during the game?  I can see focusing on pitching, buy why did you treat your fans with sush disdain?

Brad Penny – you are not a guy anyone would want to go to war with.   Someday, maybe even this year, you will wake up and realize that you are blowing it.  Someday, you may be the pitcher I thought you could become.  Change your thinking, change your life.  Change your character, change your habits.  However, until then you remain… Bad Penny.

21 Responses to “The Slimedog is Back”

You can’t teach want to. You either have it or you don’t. Brad Penny is one of those characters born with enough talent to get him this far. None of us know what is going on inside of him, and none of us should ever judge another’s journey, but form this side it sure seems like a waste. Oh well. He is the Red Sox problem now.

I really like Bowa. Always have. When I was playing college ball in Northern California in the mid 70′s we had a local guy who played for the Phillies come work out with us. I was a SS then and asked him about Bowa and he said the guy was the least naturally talented ballplayer he ever saw make it as far as he did. He told me Bowa worked all day every day at getting better. Bowa would take 100 grounders a day every day even in the off season. Bowa would take 100 cuts every day of the year working at perfecting his swing and his eye. He got as far as did by outworking everybody on the field. And that is why he has no tolerance for lazy players. Especially the gifted ones – like Penny. Maybe Bowa’s time has passed, but any young player who wants to learn something should listen to him. It’s my opinion the Dodgers are lucky to have him.

2. Mark Timmons says:

That’s what drove Bowa crazy – Penny squandering his talent.

there is a reason the Yankees wanted him back, There is also a reason Torre wanted to bring him here. Bowa is a classic!

4. Mark N says:

Maybe Bowa should be the captain of this team. He’ll light a fire under them and get more out of whatever talent a player has. I agree, we are lucky to have him. Him and Joe are a good combination and complement each other. One speakes his mind, the other is the calming leader. Thanks for the pictures, looks like it’s going to be a beautiful facility when completed. After visiting Dodgertown in Vero Beach a couple of years ago and loving every minute of it, I’m looking forward to spending sometime in Arizona next year. Another day closer to opening day!!!!

Penny was high maintenance. For being a high maintenance drama queen, he wasn’t as good as he thought he was. Like Bowa said, if he would have put the work in and canned the drama, he may be pitching in blue this year with a $9.25 million dollar contract. I remember two years ago when Penny was pitching with a big lead and couldn’t find the plate one inning. Honeycutt made the trip to the mound and told him to throw strikes. The next few hitters got hits and Penny started waving his arms around and trying to blame Honeycutt for his poor pitching effort. He always reminded me of a big kid not getting way and in need of a timeout.

Well today is rumored to be the day Hudson decides on a team. I would really like to see a Furcal – Hudson DP combo. DeWitt could develop someday but I still think he’s currently a .240 hitter with 12 homeruns and could use a season in Triple A. That’s ok for a #8 hitter but LA should be putting better pieces in place for a Championship run. Wave bye bye to the 17th pick and as Badger says, “Lets tee up the season”
    As Lawdog says “It’s felony stupid not too get Hudson”. As Mark says “Don’t lose that 17th pick”
    OUT

As Romo says “Can’t a brother get a splash?”

I am with you Bill. Hudson and Furcal could be the best up the middle combo in the NL next year. Or, they could both be watching from the whirlpool as DeWitt and DeWitless are asked to fill in. We took the risk with Furcal. Maybe brass thinks that’s enough of a gamble?

I would prefer to see DeWitt at AAA playing everyday and hitting in the middle of the order. If he tears it up, then we know he is ready. I would also prefer an experienced, healthy starter in the rotation instead of expecting one of the kids, or one of the reclamation projects to come through.

“Can’t a brother get a splash?” That is funny. I have a feeling we are going to get some mileage out of that one.

Hudson is going to be the drop before the splash I hope!

Something has to happen soon. Even (God Forbid) if we don’t get Manny, adding Hudson would help. The DP combo like BRuss said would be as good as the old Izzy/Cora was defensivley only this combo actually could hit.

SPLASH PLEASE SPLASH!!!!!!!

9. jerry says:

badger.. i really liked your artial about bowa..the younger guy ..dont have to try hard..even in the minor they get paid way better than they use to…some make a career out of it. it not about being the best they can be..it is about the money …major league is all about the money.why do you think a young guy who plays both football and baseball..choose baseball..so he can play longer and make more money..

10. mario says:

Simmers is right, we should have held on to Penny.
    The guy was hurt last year, and he is not gonna try to pitch when the
    Dodgers did not pick up his option. But we will pick up an ace or #2 pitcher before the trade deadline, but at what cost? McDonald, Dewitt and DeJesus will provably be dealt….if we Had Penny maybe we hold on to those kids…..

Penny’s option was for $8.75 million. He pissed off coaches and had an attitude that didn’t help the youngsters. He had to go.

jerry I am kind of old school and can remember when players actually had jobs in the winter to supplement their income. Roger Maris lived in the same small town I did in Missouri and he worked at a local dealership there. I remember Koufax and Drysdale holding out for $100,000. Seems to me that there are several minor league players making a very decent living playing ball. I know a guy personally, a catcher, that played minor league ball for 15 years and told me he was making better money doing something he loved than he could have made anwhere else. He is a coach now.

Hard to find information on it, but I would bet that Penny made more money in one night’s pitching than Bowa did in a year of playing. Just a guess, but it wouldn’t surprise me. He has no tolerance for young players who take so much for granted.

The splash you hear now is Brad Penny falling into a pool in Florida.

12. lawdog says:

There apparently is a counteroffer from Boras for Manny. On Tony Jackson’s board there’s some rumbling about. It looks like it might be 3 years for $70 million and an option fora 4th year. Or that might not be the offer at all. In any event, whatever Manny offered, Fred isn’t considering it.

13. lawdog says:

Koufax got $125,000 after he and Don held out. Drysdale got $100,000. I remember that well because I was just a young kid and was afraid they wouldn’t play that year. My Dad said not to worry–they’d play. He was a union man from the word go and thought it was funny to see their little mini-union–but it worked. They actually booed Sandy and Don their first games back but they got O’Malley to show them the money. My Dad was an all american football player who played offensive guard and linebacker on D. They offered him a job with the pro Chicago Bears when he finished college. There was more money and job security in teaching. Granted, he ended p a professor of Education with an EDD. But I found out why later when I saw pay stubs for Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Roger Bacon and Lamar Lundy. They all got paid $400+ a week during the season. Nada in the off season. Deacon an d Merlin made the most–around $475. Lundy the least $410 You’ve got to love the game to play for peanuts like that when the “Fearsome Foursome” was arguably the best group of DL’s ever to play in the pros. They all gobbled “greenies”–a form of amphetimine used as a diet pill in the 60s. Those were gratis and supplied by the trainer under the authorization of the team doctor.

14. lawdog says:

The indiscriminate use of dexadrine by pro football players was a helluva lot worse than steroids. And as tough as roids are on the body–speed kills.

The world was a lot different in the days of my youth.

Duke Snider, after hitting 40+ hrs, hitting over .300 and driving in 100+ runs went to O’Malley when that season was done and asked to be traded or released because he didn’t think he was good enough. He thought he was hurting the team.

15. Mark Timmons says:

Now a guy hits .230 with 30 HR and wants $19 mil

16. Roger says:

I will give you guys till Saturday night to sign Manny (or someone else) –

I leave in the morning for KC and then on to Marshall, MO for meetings.

When I return, I want a name on paper. Get it?

17. SpokaneBob says:

Dog,

The Duke was my childhood hero. I have read everything I could ever find about him. I have never read about him asking to be traded because he wasn’t good enough. In fact, when he was young, he had kind of a big ego. Is this story something you can document or just a little revisionist history?

I worked on a lemon ranch in Fallbrook Ca. for a few months back in late ’72. Me and a buddy from New York went into a restaurant there, were sitting at the bar and who was the bartender? Duke Snider. It was his restaurant. What a thrill for both of us. We talked baseball and Dodgers for as long as we could.

The most common baseball drug used to be “greenies”. Charlie Hustle was, allegedly, driven by them. It’s a long season. I can understand why a player would want a decent lift now and then. Problem of course is, it’s always difficult, if not impossible, to moderate use.

Anybody see a splash on the horizon?

19. GoNzO says:

Yeah the McCourts diving into their pool at one of there Malibu homes, laughing their asses off at us.

By the way, if it’s true that Boras has counter offered for 3@70 and Confetti isn’t considering it, we better come to the realization that Manny will bolt.

I thought all along that 3 and 70 would get it done.

Where is he going to bolt to? Gnu Yourk?

21. Mark Timmons says: