The Wolf May Be At The Door

wolf2Not THAT Wolf.  Randy Wolf! Tony Jackson reports that Randy Wolf has spurned the Diamondbacks offer:

This could be a sign he is zeroing in on the Dodgers, who are believed to have been zeroing in on him for a few days now. The lefty reportedly was offered a one-year deal with two option years, this according to the Arizona Republic. He also reportedly turned down a three-year, $28.5 million offer from Houston earlier. And while it’s tough to imagine the Dodgers guaranteeing him three years, the thought of pitching in his hometown presumably would be appealing enough for Wolf to cut them some slack. I get the sense he’ll be in the Dodgers’ rotation this season, maybe in the fourth spot.

Well, if he turned down $28 Million from Houston, he’s an idiot, but maybe that really wasn’t the deal.  I could see a 2-year deal for $18-20 million with a 3rd year option.   He doesn’t cost us a pick and he’s LH.  Sign him, Ned!

23 Responses to “The Wolf May Be At The Door”

1. lawdog says:

Wolf never had a blazing fastball and he’s now lost a yard on it since his arm woes hit him when he was last with us. Signing Wolf is the same as flushing the money you pay him down the toilet.

2. mario says:

I’d rather have Garland than Wolf, basically the same pitcher (#4 in our rotation) but Garland will actually pitch the entire year for us..
    also if there gonna give 2/18mil for a pitcher I’d rather give it to Sheets, the guy is a DL machine, but he’s a legitimate ace….

3. lawdog says:

Sheets has my vote!

Have we signed Manny yet?

4. mark says:

Randy Wolf
    Scouting Report by Stats Inc.
    Pitching
    One scout calls Wolf a poor man’s Tom Glavine. Wolf has an extensive repertoire, throwing a fastball, curve, changeup, slider and cutter. He sets up his fastball with a big, looping curveball that is sometimes thrown in the mid-70s. He also features an above-average changeup. That makes his 90-MPH fastball appear to get on hitters more quickly than it actually does. Wolf has a deceptive motion and knows how to work hitters: up and down, in and out, soft and hard. Command is his key, as he walked just 2.4 batters per nine innings last year. Wolf almost always remains poised while on the mound, but he is a fierce competitor.
    Defense & Hitting
    Wolf is a good hitter who can not only help himself at the plate but also is occasionally used as a pinch-hitter in extra innings when all the available position players have been used. Last year, he batted .267 with three homers and eight RBI while tying for the team lead with eight sacrifice bunts. He’s an excellent all-around athlete who fields his position well and pays attention to holding runners on with an above-average pickoff move and slide step

5. Mark Timmons says:

Randy Wolf
    Scouting Report by Stats Inc.

Pitching

Defense & Hitting

6. Roger says:

Back to Repko.

I would cut the guy. For me he has two strikes against him — he seems to be on the DL tooo many times. He is the guy that ran into Furcal two years ago that set Furcal out for a long time. And Repko was out from that Spring Training as well.

And Strike Three. He has forgottttten how to even hit a foul ball. He looked terrible at the plate last year when he came up. He would stand there and take 3 straight strikes.

There are better back up outfielders out there to either be signed or traded for.

Unless he has been holding back in his playing ability —- he is only a AAA type player.

I disagree with most here today. I think Wolf is a far better pitcher then Garland. Garland may eat innings but the innings are never quality innings as there is a rally going on every inning. Wolf pitched very well the second half of last season with the Astro’s. He could fill in nicely at #4. Wolf is no Sheets but I feel he’s the second best pitcher left on the market as of now.

Secondly, Jason Repko is a very good outfielder with great speed and a canon of a throwing arm. He has if not the strongest outfield throwing arm on the team, it runs neck and neck with Matt Kemp’s arm. Repko has run into injuries and hopefully this could be his breakout year if Manny decides to sign elsewhere. Since everyone feels Manny’s coming back pretty much means zero chance for Repko with the Dodgers unless it’s as a 5th outfielder. You can’t be loyal to a team and start planning a future at his age. I see his concerns and if I was Ned I would help find him a home after signing Manny. If any of you guys are able to watch Foxs Sports West with Kevin Kennedy, He always speaks about how good Jason Repko is. Kevin was trying to put him on the playoff roster last year. I feel he’s just been handed some really bad breaks so far. I’m sure many teams would be willing to sign him up.

8. lawdog says:

If Wolf is considered a Glavine kind of guy and can still bring it (after shoulder surgery) at 900 mph–then I stand corrected. It’s the command and change of speeds and location that are of the ultimate importance. 90 mph will work for a fastball if you’ve got command of the curve, change and slider.

9. Mark Timmons says:

Repko did look pretty bad last year. I do think he’s a guy who would do well with a new start. I’m not sure he’ll ever have an opportunity here. When I say “do well” I mean .270/13 HR type of season.

I think if Repko was going to be a Major League caliber player he would have done so by now. He is a great athlete no question about that, and certainly can play a decent defensive outfield, but, the man just can’t seem to hit Major League pitching. Granted he only has 424 at bats, ut he hasn’t done anything with them. So, maybe he needs to be playing for a team that could stick him in the lineup everyday. And that ain’t the Dodgers.

I’ll take Wolf. But, I would rather have Sheets. Can’t we get both?

11. mario says:

Garland is a better pitcher than Wolf…
    Give him a year in the national league, without the DH, I guarantee he wins more games than Wolf and he will have a better ERA. We signed Wolf once already, gave him 8 mil. for half a year, why sign him again?

Wow Mario, we finally disagree. Have you took a peak at Garlands innings pitched to hits? He almost gives up 1 1/2 hits per inning. Add a walk to that inning and you have given up a run. He gives the other team a chance to score every inning. Not my kind of pitcher. Wolf didn’t have an injury last year and pitched very well in Houston. Looks to me like the injury bug is behind him now. I didn’t think Wolf pitched bad the 1/2 season we had him. I roll the bones with Wolf and or Sheets. 1/2 half season from both gives us one full season of good pitching.

13. Blue Haze says:

You are alone Billy, I agree on both takes. When Repko first came up a few years ago, I was very excited to see his arrival. Injuries have really had a huge affect so far on his abilities to produce. He may have still been dealing with “getting it all back together”, even last year. In my days on the fields, I have learned from experience that some injuries just take it out of you for sometimes a whole calendar year, in particular following surgery or two (my right shoulder and right elbow recovered from surgeries but it did take a while. those two items of my anatomy are beginning to scream again at me, now that I am getting close to 50 years old). I think Repko can still be a force, but his body might be starting a rebellion against his effectiveness, since I don’t know him or his doctors, it is only a guess however. Also, yeah not a big fan of bringing in Garland, he will prove to be a disappointment, at least Wolf has a possibility of adequate, not great, but adequate.

Now where is my heating pad and ice pack?

14. Blue Haze says:

Oops, that was supposed to say, you are “not” alone. We need an edit feature, Mark (or maybe I should actually proof read before I hit the Say It button, nah!

15. mario says:

Well you got a point there Russell..but I really dont want Wolf back…maybe we can make a play for Oliver Perez. If the mets dont sign him, his price will drop….but dammit we need a quality starter, were at 70 mil payroll, we should be going after Sheets

If you look at the 3 year splits, Garland was better.

616 IP, 42-28, 4.54 ERA (in the A.L.) .289 BAA and he is 29 years old.

Wolf:

349 IP, 25-18, 4.63 ERA .270 BAA and he is 32.

Since we currently have such young unproven arms in our rotation, I would gladly accept either of these guys. And, along with either of these guys, I would accept Sheets.

17. mario says:

Nice Badger…also who has pitched more often the past 5 years, Sheets or Wolf? I’m guessing Sheets, and much more effectively… If were gonna take a chance on Wolf, why not Sheets better?

I agree Badger but I generally don’t go back three years on pitchers. I feel most of the time what you see is what you get from last season unless they are young and improving old and declining or injured which was not the case last year for Garland or Wolf. Wolf was lights out for Houston the second half. Also, the Angels wouldn’t let Garland get away if he was worth something. Mikie knows pitching. I agree that Sheets should be the man however.

Good points Bill. I do splits out of habit because it gives me a bigger picture of what the guy has done over the period of a contract. But, you are right, what he did recently is probably more telling.

And Wolf did look good last year. Will it translate into looking good for 200 innings next year? Ion’tknow, but, since it’s Frankie’s money, I am willing to give Wolf a shot.

20. tired dodger fan says:

Good morning everyone, between Garland and Wolf,i would rather have Wolf. I think Sheets is a better gamble but since hes had some injuries I think the dodgers are going to stay away. I dont think that they want to ristk their draft pick on a questionable pitcher. Speaking of draft picks i have a question, dont want this to happen but i would like to know the answer.If the dodgers fail to sign manny and he signs with another team do the dodgers get a draft pick for him and if they do what kind of pick are we looking at. Like i said i dont want this to happen but i guess anything is possible.

21. Mark Timmons says:

We would get 2 picks if he signs with someone else.

“LOS ANGELES – The National League West Division Champion Los Angeles Dodgers today have offered salary arbitration to outfielder Many Ramirez, starting pitcher Derek Lowe and infielder Casey Blake. General Manager Ned Colletti made the announcement.

The three players have until 9 p.m. PST on Dec. 7 to accept the offer, and doing so would ensure their spot on the 2009 roster. As “Type A” free agents, if Ramirez and Lowe do not accept arbitration and choose to sign with another team, the Dodgers will receive two draft picks apiece from that club. Blake, a “Type B” free agent, would net the Dodgers a supplemental draft pick if he elects to sign elsewhere.”

Lowe is gone, so, we get a pick for him. If Manny goes elsewhere, I would say we get a pick for him too.

Is that how the rest of you see it?

23. lawdog says:

I thought I read that we’re going to get a sandwich pick and a #2 pick from the Braves for Lowe. But that was because their #1 pick was “protected”–whatever that means. I’m not a “Free agentologist” Mark probably knows all the specifics.