The Real Manny Ramirez Story…

I resisted reading this article by Bill Simmons at first, because I realized it would take longer to read than War and Peace, but when I finally read it yesterday, I knew it was the truth!  Do yourself a favor and read it.  There will be a test afterward!  One thing I really like about Bill Simmons is that he has as much (maybe more) disdain for Scott (“The Devil”) Boras as I do.  I guess we should enjoy Manny being Manny right now because that spoiled-brat, never-worked-a-day-in-his-life, blow-hard, son of a stupid moron, Hank Stienbrenner will probably give his gonads for Manny this offseason.  I could see the idiot paying him $140 million/4 years.  He’s THAT stupid!

Harden vs. Kuroda Tonight.  On paper, it’s no contest – Hardin wins it hands down.  Thank goodness, they don’t play it on paper!

The Hawaiian Winter League has started.  Javy Guerra of the Waikiki BeachBoys has 3.2 IP and an ERA on 7.26.  Another Dodger, Tommy Giles is off to a slow start. Roster on Next Page.

Name HWB # Pos Height Weight Bat/Thr Affiliation Team Class College
Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette 38 P 6-1 205 L/L Cincinnati Reds
Jeff Ware 17 Pitching Coach New York Yankees
Desi Wilson 40 Hitting Coach Chicago Cubs
Kazunori Yamamoto 41 P 6-0 207 L/L Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters
Mitsuo  Yoshikawa 11 P 5-10 165 L/L Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters

RANTS & RAVES

• If the Angels lose to the BoSox and the Dodgers continue to win, McCourt might run Moreno out of town – outta’ the state.
  • Kuroda vs. Harden 10:07 EDT/7:07 PDT – Have your Broom handy!  Don’t forget that Kuroda was 4-2 with a 2.57 ERA over his 11 starts in the last two months of the season.
  • Bill Plaschke writes what I consider one of his best articles today about Jeff Kent.  If you think Jeff Kent is a cancer, you are wrong and this article captures the essence of it.

BASEBALL AMERICA’s Top 20 Southern League Prospects

1. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Jacksonville (Dodgers)

The No. 7 overall pick in the 2006 draft, Kershaw’s combination of plus pitches and advanced feel for pitching propelled him to the big leagues as a 20-year-old. Even in the SL, he was the league’s youngest starting pitcher.Kershaw’s fastball sits in the low to mid-90s and explodes out of his hand. He has a knockout mid-70s curveball, a nasty big-breaker with two-plane depth and late action that grades out as a second 70 pitch on the 20-80 scouting scale. His curve is so good that even when he didn’t snap off a good one, hitters often would chase it out of the zone or find themselves unable to check their swings.

His mid-80s changeup is a solid pitch with plus potential. The Dodgers had Kershaw focus on developing his change and throwing his curveball for strikes more often in the minors. His fastball command still needs fine-tuning, but he projects to have plus command in the big leagues thanks to clean arm action and a mechanically solid delivery that he repeats. His high three-quarters arm slot gives his pitches a good angle down in the zone. He also generates rave reviews for his poise, maturity and work ethic.

2. David Price, lhp, Montgomery (Rays)
3. Cameron Maybin, of, Carolina (Marlins)
4. Matt LaPorta, of, Huntsville (Brewers)
5. Alcides Escobar, ss, Huntsville (Brewers)
6. Chris Volstad, rhp, Carolina (Marlins)
7. Mat Gamel, 3b, Huntsville (Brewers)
8. Michael Saunders, of, West Tenn (Mariners)
9. Tommy Hanson, rhp, Mississippi (Braves)
10. Wade Davis, rhp, Montgomery (Rays)
11. Chris Coghlan, 2b, Carolina (Marlins)
12. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp, Montgomery (Rays)
13. Jordan Schafer, of, Mississippi (Braves)
14. James McDonald, rhp, Jacksonville (Dodgers)

After leaving spring training with a bit of a dead arm and getting off to a slow start, McDonald emerged as one of the SL’s best pitchers. Lanky and athletic, he won’t blow anyone away with his 88-92 mph fastball, but he does rack up strikeouts with his curveball and changeup.While his fastball lacks plus velocity, his 74-77 mph changeup provides enough separation from his heater to keep hitters off balance. He’ll throw his changeup when behind in the count and maintains his arm speed on the pitch, at times making it a well above-average pitch with sink and fade. His curveball is an average-to-plus pitch, and he can add and subtract from it as needed.

McDonald has clean arm action and raises his front side to create deception with all of his pitches. While he doesn’t get himself into trouble with walks, he needs to improve the command of all of his pitches, particularly his fastball. A flyball pitcher, he lacks life on his fastball and gets hammered when he leaves it up in the zone.

15. Ivan DeJesus, ss, Jacksonville (Dodgers)

DeJesus finished the season on a 23-game hitting streak, which propelled him to the SL’s on-base percentage title at .419. Considered a steady player entering the year, he impressed scouts and managers with his steady improvement. His instincts and feel for all aspects of the game—no doubt the product of being the son of a longtime big league shortstop—help his athleticism and tools play up.DeJesus always had plus bat speed, but he worked to shorten his swing and showed the ability to make adjustments not only during the season but also within individual games. He has excellent strike-zone judgment and squares up balls well. His approach is more geared to hit the ball to right-center, though he can use the whole field. While he shows occasional pop to his pull side, he’ll need to add strength to be able to handle big league pitching.

Defensively, DeJesus’ hands and feet work well. Though he’s only a fringe-average runner, his instincts give him solid range. He has solid arm strength, but 17 of his 26 errors this season came on throws and some observers thought he looked more comfortable at second base.

16. Jake McGee, lhp, Montgomery (Rays)
17. Angel Salome, c, Huntsville (Brewers)
18. Michael Brantley, cf, Huntsville (Brewers)
19. Adam Moore, c, West Tenn (Mariners)
20. Luis Valbuena, 2b, West Tenn (Mariners)

17 Responses to “The Real Manny Ramirez Story…”

Back from Napa Valley. Spent a week in a guest cottage of a friend, in Silverado overlooking the golf course. She is my RE agent, big time broker, money up the yazoo. Had some interesting talks with she and her circle of Country Club friends. I would love to share all that with you, but it’s not allowed in here.

I must admit, I am shocked at the confident play of our team. I give much of the credit to Joe and of course – Manny. This is a different team since he got here.

Much to catch up on, I’ll post later.

Congrats to all Dodger fans.

There is still lots to do, one game at a time. Finish the Cubs as quickly as possible and get ready for another series, most likely on the road.

2. lawdog says:

A long time friend of mine who is a lifelong Giant fan going all the way back to NY emailed and said he is rooting for the Dodgers for the first time in his life because he is so entertained by the Mannyman . He asked me if I thought the Dogs could win like they did in 88. I told him we’re far better than 88. Anyway, here’s my analysis which I sent to him a few minutes ago:

The Mannyman has turned a lot of lukewarm Dodgers into maniacs! There will be a Public lynching if Frank McCord doesn’t resign him at the end of the post season.

I think the Dodgers have a real good chance because Furcal is now back full strength and Andre Ethier looks like a clone of Duke Snider–watch the way he stands at the plate and quickness of his swing. He also has a cannon for an arm as does Kemp. Kemp is a a future Willie Mays clone but he’s not there yet. Loney is solid reminds me of a left handed Gil Furillo. They have one of the three best catchers in the league withyoung Martin. The best bullpen in baseball, a rotation Lowe,Billingsly, Kuroda, Kershaw, which is so good that the old man Maddux will probably be used in short relief.

The Dodger are solid! They also are very streaky and very young. Right now they are hot! They could go all the way just like they did in 88 with a lot less talent than they have right now. But let them lose two games in a row and they just might tank it! Manny will have a steadying influence which will probably keep the kids from choking, Furcal is back at the form he showed before the energy that kept him out for most of the season both of whom, by themselves, could carry my Dogs. But take a look at the talent of the young players they have. My heart tells me they’ll beat the Red Sox for the title which will make Mannyman the happiest sentient being on planet earth.

3. lawdog says:

Gil Hodges–not Gil Furillo. Actually, Loney is too good to be compared to Carl Furillo–who wasn’t chopped liver! :lol: :lol: :lol:

“After retiring, Furillo left the sport; while writing his landmark 1972 book The Boys of Summer about the 1952 and 1953 pennant-winning teams, author Roger Kahn located him installing elevators at the World Trade Center. Furillo later worked as a night watchman; he developed leukemia, and died in Stony Creek Mills at 66 years of age of an apparent heart attack. Furillo died a very unhappy ex major league ball player and he felt baseball completely forgot about him and his accomplishments.”

15 years in the Bigs, a career .299 hitter and he had to get a job as a night watchman? I’ll bet he made less in his entire career than ARod does in one night.

I had a chance to see him play at the end of his career. I also saw Gil and Duke, Charlie Neal, Don Demeter, Willie Davis, Tommy Davis, Johnny Roseboro, Koufax and Drysdale, saw Maury Wills’ first game – those were some good times for me. My grandpa played in the old Texas League and knew many of the old timers. I met Babe Herman in the elevators at Chavez Ravine in about ’60.

I am getting older every minute.

5. lawdog says:

I saw them all too Badger–except for Babe Herman. My kids call me a fossil. I can only imagine what the grandkids will call me–if my children ever have children.

Do you know off hand who had the higher career batting average–Gil or Carl? My comparison to Loney as the Gil Furillo clone might be right on the money–except for the fact he’s a lefty. I’m pretty sure Gil and Carl hit close to the same number of homers and close in the rbi area. I thought Carl was closer to .285 lifetime and figured Gil was closer to .295. They were both cut from the same cloth ether way.

All this Fossil talk has me craving a Dodger Dog. Think of me wrapping my lips around one at about 6:00 pm. Onions, relish and mustard will do it along with a Bud Light in the special 50th anniversary bottles they serve it in. Today is the day boys, the day the Dogs bust out of the 20 year funk. This is my first playoff game and I want to treasure it forever. I ordered one of the 5,000 Dodger NL Western Champion bats that they will probably make 25,000 of and market as 5,000 made only. I hope it doesn’t break apart like the major league maple bats did this season. The local paper this morning is reading Kuroda the Cub killer. I sure hope he’s got a little left in the tank for the Chi Town hairy beasts. I’m seating field level 15 yards outside of 3rd base, row C. I am heading out in one hour to bring home the Cub bacon. Peace my fellow Dodger brothers.

Hodgers was a career .273 hitter. Both were very good of course, but Furillow was a better avg. hitter. Remove his last two years, when he faded fast, and he hits .300.

Just realized that the day my grandpa introduced me to Babe Herman was in about ’63.

8. lawdog says:

Good stuff you posted on this thread mover. Baseball America must not have checked out McDonald lately because when I’ve seen him on the tube he’s hitting 93-96 on the gun with late cutter type movement. His curve is almost as good as Kershaw’s 12-6 and equally evective to righties and lefties because it’s that straight downer, the yackker. Old Uncle Charely. He can change on every pitch in his arsenal. His changeup drops as most as a slider pitcher’s best slider. And if he wants to throw a 90-91 mph fastball he can make it cut laterally a little bit either way with slider sink.

He and Kwershaw will join Billingsley as the big three in the rotation next year. That’s why I think we’ll forget Sabbatha and concentrate on Manny and Furcal. Although if Furcal doesnb’t come cheaply enough–I’d be willing to ride the BerroaBus one more year while Ivan develops–if he’s not already big league material.

This is a great time to be a Dodger fan.

But your take on Surlyman not being a cancer? Huh? It’s just a coincidence that when he goes down, we win out? The fact he sits in his corner alone and nobody comes around him doesn’t mean he hasn’t been a cancer so keeping our youngster tied in knots they couldn’t help but choke! The man who called Vin Scully a blabbermouth and indicated Manny didn’t improve his stats. This man isn’t a cancer?

No, he’s been a cancer for 17 years and since coming back hobbled he’s just shut his big surlyman mouth.

We’d be better off without him on the roster even with his hitting potential. He can’t run. He has no range. And you neveer know when he’ll go off like Howitser at a team mate, coach, manager or even an Icon like Vin Scully.,
    Besides, he can’t even hit his weight anymore–with or without Manny’s presence in the lineup. He’s better than Mark Sweeny. But I’d rather have anybody else on the roster on the playoff team. Even Hu, our erstwhile utility infielder who can’t see the pitcher much less the ball.

Nope, I can’t see the surlycycle dispatched soon enough. And he can take Schmidt and Penny with him as he sails off into the Sunset on a long drive off a short pier. :shook:

Hodgers?

Furillow?

Spell check?

Shook ?

11. lawdog says:

Bill Simons say there are two options on Manny’s contract for 2009 and 2010?

Sounds like that solves our problem right there. If we got Manny we also got his contract we have two options that have to be in the 20 mil per that keep Manny in LA through 2010 for approx 40? He’d be ecstatic for a new 3 year 75 mil deal if that’s true?

This can’t be right! What happened to those two options when we aquired Manny??? :mad:

12. lawdog says:

I’m a lousy editor even when I have an edit option–but I’m just getting over probably the worst intestinal flue I’ve ever had in my life. My head is so stuffed with rags it’s a miracle I can even :shock: two times out of three!

They were waived when we aquired him. :mrgreen:

14. lawdog says:

Hodgers was that cousin of Codgers who could actually hit and play first pace.

15. lawdog says:

Ahhhh–so that’s what Manny and Borass insisted upon as part of the deal. Makes sense! Damn! I hope we can retain his services for at least three more years–damn the torpodos and the fact he’s 36.

16. lawdog says:

Where is Mickey Hatcher and why isn’t he on the playoff squad? Geeze, it’s like asking to be jinxed!

17. Mark says:

Lawdog,

Jeff Kent is not a leader, but watch him when he’s warming up or when a team he used to play for is on the field with him. Players may not always like his ways or what he says, but the do respect him. Watch how they approach him and treat him. I am aware of how we played without him and the run we made. Right now, I think Blake DeWitt is a better 2B for the most part, but I do think we will see Jeff Kent do something “heroic” in the playoffs. He’s a nice option on the bench and even Blake DeWitt says Kent has worked with him and helped him a lot. Jeff Kent respects the game. Jeff Kent is not the leader of THIS team. When he was the leader, we had problems. This is Manny’s Team!